• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Me saying I worked on it for 50 hours was just a small joke.
I did not forge the leaked images in Photoshop.

The damage would have been done regardless or not I made the public believe that every single image was fake.
How are you certain that this isn't the final roster? Was that just trolling on your part?

lemaskdemasque

Smash Cadet
Well one thing they COULD do is confirm a character that isn't pictured on the leak. Supposedly there's a few characters that, for one reason or another, aren't pictured, so if Nintendo wanted to dance around confirming/disconfirming the leak and keep people guessing, they could reveal one of the missing ones.
That's a good point acc. I just want Nintendo to make a move for a change, Monday's POTD cant come quickly enough. I know it'll probably be nothing but i'm sure i dont speak for myself when i say that I feel like i'm going crazy discussing a leak that cant be proven either way. *sigh*

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
That's a good point acc. I just want Nintendo to make a move for a change, Monday's POTD cant come quickly enough. I know it'll probably be nothing but i'm sure i dont speak for myself when i say that I feel like i'm going crazy discussing a leak that cant be proven either way. *sigh*
Well my fingers hurt badly. This leak is making everyone go nutz.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Here are the results from yesterday and today's Survey:

Assuming the Leak has 5 spots left, rank the following in order based on what you want/expect.

There were 145 responses, but due to not having an upgraded account with Surveymonkey, it only displayed the first 100.

Here are the results:

Here is the data:

Now, since it was the combination of two questions, "What you expect/Want" this is just a rough estimation on our feelings of what 5 remaining spots could mean to us. This is not to be taken as any useful data. It is very unscientific.

Some things that I do notice:
1. Mewtwo is on average the most expected, most wanted, and or combo of the two. Edit: It looks like Ridley had more ratings as #1 but had more people also rank him lower, bringing his average lower than Mewtwo's.
2. We seem to expect and or want a Donkey Kong Member. Maybe we expect the Ninka leak, while we want K. Rool but maybe aren't expecting him?
3. We are hoping or expecting for Ice climbers and Wolf to not really be cut
4. Lucas was lower than expected, from my point of view. May be due to the survey's two questions.
5. Snake seems to be not expected, since he normally ranks popular. May be due to survey covering two questions.
6. Impa seems to be most expected and or wanted than a different Zelda representative
7. Mach Rider or a different Retro seem to be the least wanted and or expected.

So, take this as a rough estimate of what this board feels about who or what may fill in the last 5 spots of the leak, assuming there is 5 slots available.

Thank you everyone who participated. I enjoy doing this.
I'm late and know it won't affect anything but..
1.Wolf
2. Mewtwo
3. Ridley
4. King K Rool
5. Impa

Krystal would be 4th if that were an option butting out impa

Last edited:

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Why are people assuming that the css' degree of being screwed up is a result of the css not being in its complete state? The DLC thing was confirmed to be untrue, so why do we think there are more characters?

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Why are people assuming that the css' degree of being screwed up is a result of the css not being in its complete state? The DLC thing was confirmed to be untrue, so why do we think there are more characters?
Because there's a ton of extra space and some of the characters aren't lining up properly with other franchises.
See Yoshi.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Because there's a ton of extra space and some of the characters aren't lining up properly with other franchises.
See Yoshi.
The character select screen has never taken up all of it avaliable space. It seems a bit like everyone who wants it to be real is picking and choosing what to believe is final. Yoshi is in a weird place, Shulk is in a weird place, the three perfect clones are in a weird place, but you guys can't just invent five more characters to make it look right.

Besides, it would only be four more spaces. One of those spaces will be taken up by Mii Fighter when customization is turned on.

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
If I remember correctly MasterLinkX Said this isn't all the characters. So yes

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
It was also stated a few times at the beginning of the leak that "this is not the final roster."

Edit: ninja'd by roosaurus

Last edited:

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
People be prayin dats y
So it IS just hope. I see. While I myself would actually be quite content with this leak if true and I am leaning toward it being true, there is no reason (screwed-up css or no) that there would be five additional characters we aren't seeing.

Even if Masterlinkx said there would be more, why 5? There would be 4. Nobody seems to remember that Mii Fighter needs to be selectable when customization is turned on.

In fact, SMASH BOARDS, I CHALLENGE YOU. Design a css select screen prototype where the extra four/five characters really makes it make sense as a character select screen. Then I will consider it possible.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
So it IS just hope. I see. While I myself would actually be quite content with this leak if true and I am leaning toward it being true, there is no reason (screwed-up css or no) that there would be five additional characters we aren't seeing.

Even if Masterlinkx said there would be more, why 5? There would be 4. Nobody seems to remember that Mii Fighter needs to be selectable when customization is turned on.

In fact, SMASH BOARDS, I CHALLENGE YOU. Design a css select screen prototype where the extra four/five characters really makes it make sense as a character select screen. Then I will consider it possible.
The Mii Fighter have there own button thing.
Also you can make unlimited Miis, so maybe there is a separate place to access Miis.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
It was also stated a few times at the beginning of the leak that "this is not the final roster."

Edit: ninja'd by roosaurus
NO. This is a MYTH. There was never anything said by the leaker about this not being the final roster or that he didn't unlock all the characters. MasterLinkx doesn't have any credibility, outside of him simply claiming that he does.

micstar615

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure It's been established that Mii Fighter doesn't take up a slot on the CSS but has his own option and screen after clicking the customization option. After clicking the customization option a screen separate from the CSS shows up allowing you to customize a fighter or select a customizable Mii. There should be a picture like that in the 2nd post on the first page of this thread iirc.

Last edited:

LifesJest

Smash Rookie
I'd really appreciate it if the OP took my theory of different leakers getting different builds of the game and placed it with how the leak's roster looks (with that weird upside-down pyramid shape it has). Everyone's still talking about the impossibly obscure placement of some characters, so maybe this'll help redirect attention where it might be more useful at tackling the validity of this leak. I recall my post being on page 71 if you want to read the whole thing, but in summary:

If ESRB is involved, maybe they split the 'team" of staff dedicated to smash up to handle and rate different "builds" sent to them- convening after both review their build. I believe if this were the case it was so that either Nintendo or ESRB could be able to quickly identify the leaker and protect the other content in the case of a leak.

If the leakers were not part of ESRB than the different build idea still applies where maybe different leakers saw different builds of the game similar to how the E3 demo was handled where while both the 3DS and WiiU rosters are the same in the end, playing on the WiiU had different playable characters than the 3DS did (during E3).

This theory of mine explains why we see some empty spaces (room for some more characters?) but have them not being DLC like a certain de-confirmed leak we all know. Maybe each build had mostly the same characters, but with five or so characters unique to each build given out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note- If you all recall, the roster's CSS always looks obscure until all characters have been unlocked. Just food for thought. As far as we know, Doctor Mario could move up into the Super Mario series next to Mario, Pittoo into the Kid Icarus series, Lucina into the Fire Emblem series, and move Yoshi outside but next-to the Super Mario series (and so-on so-forth).

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
NO. This is a MYTH. There was never anything said by the leaker about this not being the final roster or that he didn't unlock all the characters. MasterLinkx doesn't have any credibility, outside of him simply claiming that he does.
Except the part where he had access to the photos before others

But really, the CSS is a jumbled mess as is. Melee had some minor issues with its final CSS (wierd looking side boxes and Ganon placement) but even that had some logic to it with the clones. This isn't like praying that those 2 extra slots in Melee were going to be filled - there's an actual reason to believe we're getting 5 more characters.

Mind you I'm pretty sure the background is black because it was intended to be filled.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Yeah the background of the CSS lacks a lot of Sakurai's trademark detail. It's just dark gray/black.
Even if this leak is fake, unless the CSS icons are tiny, I strongly doubt there'll be any space left on the CSS screen. We're due for probably at least 47 character IF this is fake (which I doubt) and I remember some user on Gamefaqs actually making a pretty elaborate topic on how that number (as well as 52 and 54) fit quite well on the screen.

I hate that "Sakurai wouldn't make the screen so drab" argument because the detail comes from the surrounding menu that won't exist sans the characters themselves. I'd doubt this if it were the Wii U screen which will probably have lots of detail, but the 3DS screen is not a giant television.

micstar615

Smash Ace
Even if this leak is fake, unless the CSS icons are tiny, I strongly doubt there'll be any space left on the CSS screen. We're due for probably at least 47 character IF this is fake (which I doubt) and I remember some user on Gamefaqs actually making a pretty elaborate topic on how that number (as well as 52 and 54) fit quite well on the screen.

I hate that "Sakurai wouldn't make the screen so drab" argument because the detail comes from the surrounding menu that won't exist sans the characters themselves. I'd doubt this if it were the Wii U screen which will probably have lots of detail, but the 3DS screen is not a giant television.
Fair enough, I just noticed that the e3 demo has the same background

Last edited:

LifesJest

Smash Rookie
I haven't been watching this thread (85 pages? No sir) but has anyone figured out why ness and DHD have levels?
Ignore this comment (how do I delete things? day 2 smashboards) I thought you meant stages for some reason: levels as-in stages. You meant levels as-in difficulty.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I haven't been watching this thread (85 pages? No sir) but has anyone figured out why ness and DHD have levels?
I just assumed its probably a mode we haven't seen yet. It's definitely not the CSS, so it has to be there for something new.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
Ignore this comment (how do I delete things? day 2 smashboards) I thought you meant stages for some reason: levels as-in stages. You meant levels as-in difficulty.
He means the levels in the pic with diddy ness and dhd, and to answer the question people think it could be a mode or minigame

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Except the part where he had access to the photos before others.
1) We don't actually know that he had access to the photos before others. He just says he did.

2) Having access to the photos doesn't mean he knows anything else exceptional. There's no reason to assume he does other than he says he does (and taking a random person at their word never flew in the past with leaks, has it?)

3) If he knew anything else, why not just flat out say it at the time? You mean to tell me that someone is willing to break an NDA to share a bunch of copyrighted images but a few other text details about the roster are just plain going too far? Whoever leaked them at the time clearly didn't care about letting the s*** fly, but now we have to keep obscure details secret to help them? I can't wrap my head around it.

Mostly I think it's wrong to peddle optimism to people based on an outright lie ("the leaker said there was more") or someone's random heresay.

salmonofdoubt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4957-2628-7737
If ESRB is involved, maybe they split the 'team" of staff dedicated to smash up to handle and rate different "builds" sent to them- convening after both review their build. I believe if this were the case it was so that either Nintendo or ESRB could be able to quickly identify the leaker and protect the other content in the case of a leak.

If the leakers were not part of ESRB than the different build idea still applies where maybe different leakers saw different builds of the game similar to how the E3 demo was handled where while both the 3DS and WiiU rosters are the same in the end, playing on the WiiU had different playable characters than the 3DS did (during E3).

This theory of mine explains why we see some empty spaces (room for some more characters?) but have them not being DLC like a certain de-confirmed leak we all know. Maybe each build had mostly the same characters, but with five or so characters unique to each build given out.
When you're inventing complicated theories to justify why the leaked roster might not include all the characters, take a step back and remember Occam's razor. The simplest explanation is often correct. In this case, the theory with the fewest assumptions is that there was one leaker who took a bunch of photographs from a video. He shared them with his friends, and eventually they were posted on the internet. The pictures included all the unannounced characters. The roster is organized differently from past games because Sakurai often does weird things like that.

I wish there were more characters too, but I think we should accept what we see until someone shows up with new information.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I'd like to clarify some things about the conspiracy theories I'm seeing thrown about.

Many of you seem convinced the mods are lying to you, or are involved in faking this leak. To this I ask, why? Why would the people whose very job involves keeping the chaos these kind of forums breed at bay go so far out of their way to create chaos? Stop and think about that. This leak has done nothing but make their jobs harder.

Some of them have been contacted by people. People who claim to be a part of this leak, people who claim to know information that proves or disproves the leak, people who claim to know information not covered in this leak. I have been, too. It comes with the territory of being a public figure. Part of the reason none of us immediately come to share our information is because we don't know how true any of it is. We're just in the dark about the final game as you are. Some people sound legitimate. Some people don't. Some sound legitimate but have nothing to back up their claims. Many of you will remember I was one of these people. I still don't have anything to prove what I said was true other than this leak, which itself can still be false.

We don't want to share information prematurely. Some of the mods have already had to go back on things they've said because new information came to light that proved what they initially said was incorrect.

The other reason is due to the legal gray areas this leak and others like it occupy. If someone sends us information, and we share it with you, then we're culpable for leaking the information ourselves, especially when it comes to images. Nintendo can sue anyone who shares leaked images for copyright infringement. We don't even need to have signed an Non-Disclosure Agreement.

But make no mistake, those NDAa are brutal. If we share with you information we've been told in confidence, it could easily be tracked back to the person who told us it, especially if the theory that different people see different builds with different characters is true. Don't misunderstand, breaking an NDA is a profoundly stupid thing to do, but I don't think the punishment fits the crime.

Someone who breaks their NDA will not only be fired, they will be blacklisted from the entire industry. Their livelihood will be gone. They would be sued for breaking the NDA, and suffer all the financial punishments it entails. If images or videos are involved, they will be sued for distributing copyrighted material, and each image can get them a maximum of 5 years in jail and a $5000 fine.

You can understand why we'd hesitate to share information that might implicate someone, especially prematurely, especially when is might make us culpable as well.

Please have patience. We're trying our best to get to the bottom of this.
Sounds to me like an excellent argument for why this leak is fake.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I (think) I have some more evidence of why the leak is fake. I looked through the second post and I'm pretty sure these haven't been mentioned:
1. Look at Falco. How come his feathers aren't realistic like Fox's fur, Donkey Kong's fur, etc.? I would use the same argument with Duck Hunt, but I think the more 'kiddy' characters aren't as realistic. Ex. Toon Link.
2. Look at the picture with Bowser, Bowser Jr., Pikachu, and Kirby. The CPU coin is hovering over Kirby, so why isn't Kirby translucent like how it is in past smash games when the CPU/Player coin is hovering over them?
My apologies if this has been mentioned.

Last edited:

Ellipsis

Smash Cadet
Sounds to me like an excellent argument for why this leak is fake.
By that logic, all leaks are fake, even the ones that turned out to be true. There's practically always an NDA breach involved.

I (think) I have some more evidence of why the leak is fake. I looked through the second post and I'm pretty sure these haven't been mentioned:
1. Look at Falco. How come his fur isn't realistic like Fox's, Donkey King's, etc.? I would use the same argument with Duck Hunt, but I think the more 'kiddy' characters aren't as realistic. Ex. Toon Link.
2. Look at the picture with Bowser, Bowser Jr., Pikachu, and Kirby. The CPU coin is hovering over Kirby, so why isn't Kirby translucent like how it is in past smash games when the CPU/Player coin is hovering over them?
My apologies if this has been mentioned.
1. Birds don't have fur.
2. I read a couple of days ago that characters don't turn translucent like that in Smash 4. I never saw a video to confirm it, though.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I like SmashBoards, but every time I come here and see this thread is always at the top, almost 100 pages, really turns me off. So just turn away and don't enter the thread. Yeah if it was that easy to skip seeing all the time devoted to this. I'm not even reading the thread. Please feel free to continue as always. Next week's leak will be by me. It's just one thing: It does bother me that the people responsible for these leaks have won and are still winning.

So thank YOU GUYS.

:dk:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I like SmashBoards, but every time I come here and see this thread is always at the top, almost 100 pages, really turns me off. So just turn away and don't enter the thread. Yeah if it was that easy to skip seeing all the time devoted to this. I'm not even reading the thread. Please feel free to continue as always. Next week's leak will be by me. It's just one thing: It does bother me that the people responsible for these leaks have won and are still winning.

So thank YOU GUYS.

:dk:
I will leak the week after that. I've already dropped hints in several threads.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If Ridley is just a stage boss, I wish Sakurai would just reveal it already so we aren't soul-crushed when the full roster is revealed, leaked or otherwise.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
If Ridley is just a stage boss, I wish Sakurai would just reveal it already so we aren't soul-crushed when the full roster is revealed, leaked or otherwise.
Unfortunately, we'll probably have to wait to see. This leak doesn't mention Ridley, plus the teases makes me doubt his existence as a playable character.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
By that logic, all leaks are fake, even the ones that turned out to be true. There's practically always an NDA breach involved.
Except the difference here is that we have photographic evidence.. which is also incriminating evidence for the leakers.

It's one thing to just post a text leak 'cause unless the leak has evidence in its favor - like the Gematsu Leak did for the longest while - everyone will just pass it off as fake. Considering that they could've simply set up a matrix and figured out who had access to Wii Fit Trainer's information prior to its revelation, they'd have found the leaker and prosecuted the guy. All things considered, the Gematsu Leaker came back several months later for round two, so that says the Gematsu Leak was fake all along and just really lucky guesses that evolved into a

Considering most of our leakers are still here talking to us and not currently absent in the face of pending charges, and Nintendo wasn't in full damage control the moment they caught word of the leak, says that the leak is more than likely fake. A really elaborate, fairly impressive leak, but a fake leak none the less. I figure the moderators are supporting it because they're unknowing passengers on the ruse cruise. The fact that we have people publicly affiliated with the leaker, if not the leakers themselves, right here on Smashboards, and most of them are active, says all kinds of things.

As Vaanrose so kindly informed us, the punishment for breaking NDA is harsh. Assuming Nintendo wouldn't press charges even with weeks left to go 'til Smash drops and none of this leak stuff will matter is naive. Thanks for showing me the light, buddy.

A right shame, too, 'cause I was really warming up to the idea of Mr. Peepers and Bowser Junior.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Except the difference here is that we have photographic evidence.. which is also incriminating evidence for the leakers.

It's one thing to just post a text leak 'cause unless the leak has evidence in its favor - like the Gematsu Leak did for the longest while - everyone will just pass it off as fake. Considering that they could've simply set up a matrix and figured out who had access to Wii Fit Trainer's information prior to its revelation, they'd have found the leaker and prosecuted the guy. All things considered, the Gematsu Leaker came back several months later for round two, so that says the Gematsu Leak was fake all along and just really lucky guesses.

Considering most of our leakers are still here talking to us and not currently absent in the face of pending charges, and Nintendo wasn't in full damage control the moment they caught word of the leak, says that the leak is more than likely fake. A really elaborate, fairly impressive leak, but a fake leak none the less. I figure the moderators are supporting it because they're unwilling passengers on the ruse cruise. The fact that was have people publicly affiliated with the leaker, if not the leakers themselves, right here on Smashboards, and most of them are active, says all kinds of things.

As Vaanrose so kindly informed us, the punishment for breaking NDA is harsh. Assuming Nintendo wouldn't press charges even with weeks left to go 'til Smash drops and none of this leak stuff will matter is naive. Thanks for showing me the light, buddy.

A right shame, too, 'cause I was really warming up to the idea of Mr. Peepers and Bowser Junior.
It's not fake. Lol

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

It's one thing to just post a text leak 'cause unless the leak has evidence in its favor - like the Gematsu Leak did for the longest while - everyone will just pass it off as fake. Considering that they could've simply set up a matrix and figured out who had access to Wii Fit Trainer's information prior to its revelation, they'd have found the leaker and prosecuted the guy. All things considered, the Gematsu Leaker came back several months later for round two, so that says the Gematsu Leak was fake all along and just really lucky guesses.

Considering most of our leakers are still here talking to us and not currently absent in the face of pending charges, and Nintendo wasn't in full damage control the moment they caught word of the leak, says that the leak is more than likely fake. A really elaborate, fairly impressive leak, but a fake leak none the less. I figure the moderators are supporting it because they're unwilling passengers on the ruse cruise. The fact that was have people publicly affiliated with the leaker, if not the leakers themselves, right here on Smashboards, and most of them are active, says all kinds of things.

I'm sorry, but how could it possibly be fake after the Tomodachi thing?

ChromTroop

Smash Cadet
I'd really appreciate it if the OP took my theory of different leakers getting different builds of the game and placed it with how the leak's roster looks (with that weird upside-down pyramid shape it has). Everyone's still talking about the impossibly obscure placement of some characters, so maybe this'll help redirect attention where it might be more useful at tackling the validity of this leak. I recall my post being on page 71 if you want to read the whole thing, but in summary:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note- If you all recall, the roster's CSS always looks obscure until all characters have been unlocked. Just food for thought. As far as we know, Doctor Mario could move up into the Super Mario series next to Mario, Pittoo into the Kid Icarus series, Lucina into the Fire Emblem series, and move Yoshi outside but next-to the Super Mario series (and so-on so-forth).
I just read your posts. I totally agree with you and i think that something sakurai would have done.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, we'll probably have to wait to see. This leak doesn't mention Ridley, plus the teases makes me doubt his existence as a playable character.
The problem is this leak is like every other leak. Screens, not video. You'd think that in a world where internet streaming and video creation is very easy, we'd have a full video of gameplay, menus, sounds, etc. But we don't.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
The problem is this leak is like every other leak. Screens, not video. You'd think that in a world where internet streaming and video creation is very easy, we'd have a full video of gameplay, menus, sounds, etc. But we don't.
What does that have to do with what the leak leaves out? The most reasonable answer is that this is the final CSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom