• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raijinken

Smash Master
P.S. Anyone who still supports Ridley as a playable character, you're just delusional. Sakurai implied Ridley would be a stage boss in the Smash Direct, you're getting your hopes up for nothing.
PS anything else deconfirmed playable was stated outright to be deconfirmed, with no beating around the bush. We can still hope, just like apparently Mario fans were allowed to still hope for yet more representation to an overrepresented franchise.

Either way, we're looking at a great game soon, regardless of how the rest of the roster turns out.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
You got me there, inderd they are the same persons as Zelda and Samus, yet got very different gameplay styles i haven't got any comments on them any further
True. But hey, I'm not too pleased with Dark Pit, and I love Kid Icarus.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The problem is that Dr. Mario is Mario with different clothes, they could give him the doctors clothes and customizable moves like the spin to makenhim feel more like his melee counterpart.

And i feel like replacing the fireballs with pills would not be to hard at all...
He has different move stats- taking those away, as well as Mario Tornado, would NOT be bringing him back from Melee. The point of bringing him back from melee is to appease melee-hardcore fans, not to aesthetically have him back as a costume. He cannot be a competitive fighter in tournaments without being a separate fighter.

So someone from GameXplain just posted this on NeoGaf:

Headed to PAX! I don't know when exactly it is, but I can confirm that Nintendo is holding a closed media event for Smash 3DS with a new (final?) build of the game, and both Andre and I will be attending for GameXplain. I'll bring you all the news and impressions I'm legally allowed to here (depending on NDAs) and we'll of course be recording discussions if we're allowed, so stay tuned!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127455146&postcount=4800

Think we'll get a newcomer there if we don't with this direct?

If not at least we might be able to see some gameplay of Captain Falcon, Robin, Palutena, Lucina and perhaps some other characters that were not on the E3 build.

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
If you go that way I can say that Mario doesn't even have his own universe. 'Cause his first appearance was in Donkey Kong. So Mario is part of the Donkey Kong Universe. Seems legit.
Mario Universe, Donkey Kong Universe. Whatever you may call it, @Crocovile was trying to point out that all of these characters originate from that same universe. So, this roster does in fact have 11 Mario/Donkey Kong/Yoshi characters. Very over represented.

Actually in regards to DP while he might come off as an "unoriginal recolor" he has the potential to be a pretty different character due to the MANY different types of weapons in KIU he could play very differently from Pit his "Luigi" if you will. (or they could laze out and make him what you are saying if that's the case your 100% entitled to this opinion)
In that case, let's go ahead and add Shadow Mario, Blood Falcon, Dark Link, Dry Bowser and Pink Gold Peach as seperate characters while we're at it. All of these have potential for "unique movesets", it doesn't matter that they are identical recolors of their counter part. As long as their moveset is different they are deserving of seperate slots, right? That is how i feel about Dark Pit. (Who's obviously a clone anyway, look at his roster placement.)

Last edited:

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
I really hate that there are any clones at all. I want each and every character to only have ONE spot. It's just not nice looking or compact. It makes the game less focused.

What's wrong with 4 FE reps? Expanding is always a good thing ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Only if every other worthy character is covered first...

Why are people complaining about Dr Mario?
This is one of the ways Sakurai was willing to listen to fans.
As long as Mewtwo, Ice Climbers and Wolf are back then it's fine... Even Lucas deserves it more.

Seems like we're in the rage stage of grief.
No. Not until the game is released.

But we gotta remember! There is a slight chance that after the game is released in Japan (3DS version) and everything is unlocked, that they are saving DLC characters for the Wii U version, just so they can be a surprise. And because the 3DS game is coming out earlier. Probably isn't the case, but I think we can't be 100% sure who are and who isn't in the game until the Wii U version is out and everything is unlocked!

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
P.S. Anyone who still supports Ridley as a playable character, you're just delusional. Sakurai implied Ridley would be a stage boss in the Smash Direct, you're getting your hopes up for nothing.
Hey guess what? IT'S NOT CONFIRMED HE'S A BOSS.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
In that case, let's go ahead and add Shadow Mario, Blood Falcon, Dark Link, Dry Bowser and Pink Gold Peach as seperate characters while we're at it. All of these have potential for "unique movesets", it doesn't matter that they are identical recolors of their counter part. As long as their moveset is different they are deserving of seperate slots, right? That is how i feel about Dark Pit. (Who's obviously a clone anyway, look at his roster placement.)
You didn't get what I meant. In Kid Icarus Uprising there's a lot of weapons in the game and Pit uses a few in his special moves and Dark Pit could use a few more to make him play differently as opposed to just being a pallet swap. Ironically Shadow Mario could have a unique move set from regular Mario though lol but the others wouldn't and I don't think a placement on the roster really confirms anything if that's the case Shulk is a third party character. Last thing about this also is he isn't identical as a whole because he looks basically the same they have different personalities and behaviors.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Mario Universe, Donkey Kong Universe. Whatever you may call it, @Crocovile was trying to point out that all of these characters originate from that same universe. So, this roster does in fact have 11 Mario/Donkey Kong/Yoshi characters. Very over represented.
Even if you want to claim this is all one franchise, just because they all happen to exist in one universe, can you explain to me how that is over representation? I'd like to hear your side before I comment.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
The best selling franchise ever is not over represented.

Habimaru

Smash Rookie
Even if you want to claim this is all one franchise, just because they all happen to exist in one universe, can you explain to me how that is over representation? I'd like to hear your side before I comment.
After all it's the highest grossing franchise EVER and the very face of Nintendo.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
You didn't get what I meant. In Kid Icarus Uprising there's a lot of weapons in the game and Pit uses a few in his special moves and Dark Pit could use a few more to make him play differently as opposed to just being a pallet swap. Ironically Shadow Mario could have a unique move set from regular Mario though lol but the others wouldn't and I don't think a placement on the roster really confirms anything if that's the case Shulk is a third party character. Last thing about this also is he isn't identical as a whole because he looks basically the same they have different personalities and behaviors.
Why couldn't they incorporate seperate movesets to Pit then? They did so with Palutena and Mii, and that way they could have made Pit use more weapons and gear from Uprising without having to resort to a seperate character. Dark Pit should of been an alt, with a different voice over. Having different personalities doesn't mean much when it comes to Smash, it's not going to be noticed there. Blood Falcon is completely different than Captain Falcon personality wise, doesn't mean he should earn a spot as a seperate character. It's just my opinion.

Also, Shulk is with the third party because the rostrer isn't complete most likely.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
While I personally like leaks, as I think it's fun to know all of the characters beforehand and speculate about using them and everything...

I do hate what they're able to do, though I'm not really sure it's the leak's fault so much as our own. Those cancelling their preorders or saying that it's a "terrible" roster and deciding not to support the game anymore - do they realize that this was always going to be our final roster, leak or no leak? If one or even only two characters' inclusion status out of 48+ characters is enough to make you decide you absolutely abhor the game to the point of not buying it, you probably shouldn't have preordered it in the first place. If you had enough love and support for the Smash series to preorder the game before you knew the roster, with the knowledge that your favorite could get cut or not added in, then shouldn't that be powerful enough to override the disappointment in not getting your favorite character?

I really want Chorus Men. I'm going to be somewhat disappointed if there's no more unlockable characters, or if there are but they aren't among them. I'm disappointed to see Lucas and Wolf go and Ice Climbers go. I'm even honestly disappointed that Dark Pit is a playable character. But for all my disappointments, there's so, so much more that is not disappointing. There's 18 new characters, counting each Mii Fighter moveset. Among those new characters are what I think is the biggest selection of totally unique movesets to date. Everyone sans the clones seems super unique, and we even get multiple new characters with crazy gimmicks like Olimar seemed to be - Rosalina, Robin... even Villager and Mega Man have really odd properties on most of their moves.

It's still Smash, and it's shaping up to be my favorite one to play for sure. I appreciate it being faster than Brawl, but I also appreciate the lack of the "advanced techniques" found in Melee, personally. It's feeling like what a competitive Brawl should have been, and that's exciting to me. It's got gorgeous graphics, and I can even play it on the go! Every roster is going to have disappointments - they cannot make a single "perfect" roster. But damn if I think we don't have a great one, which could still potentially be made even greater by more character unlocks.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
DK and Yoshi being over represented. :joyful:

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
To be honest I was hoping for Medusa to be a Palutena clone, so I'm disappointed in Dark Pit for a whole different reason. That said, I first want to see how much of a clone Dark Pit actually is, KI:U has so many weapons that Pittoo might not be a real clone, like Ness/Lucas or Fox/Wolf. Could still be interesting, even if the character Dark Pit is kind of a waste for this game.

Doc Mario on the other hand is amazing. An amazing throwback to melee, one that no one would've expected to see returning and just a fun variation on Mario in general. Him being a throwback to melee in general makes him a great pic as a extra clone character imo.

Lucina is a great clone as well. She's a very popular character in general and since it's pretty much canon she tries to be clone of Marth, it just makes sense to have her as a clone. I hoped they would've differenciated her a bit more than just some properties, but it doesn't matter really.

But yeah, I'm fine with the clones so far, wouldn't mind having even more tbh.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Why are people complaining about Dr Mario?
This is one of the ways Sakurai was willing to listen to fans.
He was trying to appeal to all those hooligans who wanted Melee back.
Ya know who was popular in Melee?
Roy, and Dr Mario.
Well, here ya go, have Lucina and Dr Mario.

Why this isn't seen as good news for Mewtwo, I don't know.
I guess because this forum just likes to freak out.
Chill on your emotions, forum.
I... I never even noticed that. That's amazing. Well played Sakurai. Well played!

Raijinken

Smash Master

I support Blood Falcon as a clone character. Since he's actually a clone.

But he's already been in the series since 64 as a CFalc recolor. Dark Pit only appeared in one =P

Petrichor

Smash Apprentice
Why didn't Sakurai spend the extra time adding cuts from Brawl instead of adding Prescription mario, emo pit, and marth w/ long hair?
Because he didn't have time, maybe? Bringing the characters over from Brawl isn't as simple as copying and pasting them. They would have to design, animate, program, balance and bugtest the characters all from scratch. With promoted costumes, the vast majority of this work was already done. Literally all that 'adding' these clones consisted of was moving an existing collection of data to a new spot on the roster and making some very minor tweaks. I doubt it would've taken more than a day to do this for all three of them.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
I'm good with there being clones, and I think clones like Lucina make perfect sense. I'm still very excited to play her, and I think I'll like her more than Marth - both in terms of playstyle and the fact that I just like her character more.

Even Dr. Mario is interesting to me, probably just because I think it's cool to see him back after many years of being absent. I always preferred playing him in Melee anyway.

I'm just disappointed in one of them being Dark Pit because
A. I don't think the KI franchise is prolific enough right now to warrant three characters - two I absolutely agree with, but three might be pushing it.
B. He is quite literally a palette swap in terms of visual design. There is nothing to differentiate him from Pit outside of his dark and edgy colors. It simply feels lazy, boring, and like it may even cause readability issues with players not familiar with the characters or their costume swaps.

But regardless of his inclusion, there are still 47+ other characters I can play as, and his development time was probably fairly small, so I really don't care in terms of how it affects the game as a whole. Do I wish it could have been another clone, maybe? Sure. But it's whatever.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
DK and Yoshi being over represented. :joyful:
Nu uh. They're semi-Mario characters, and you know it. There should have been a newcomer for Donkey Kong instead of Mario in my opinion. Yoshi, i don't see much potential characters except for maybe Kamek or Shy Guy. But that's about.

The entire top row are all Mario-related characters, except for G&W. In my opinion, it just seems a little over redundant.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Smash Bros is a game for Nintendo fans, not just Mario and Pokemon fans. Other franchises deserve representation, the Mario and Pokemon fans are going to get diabetes from all the icing on their cake.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Nu uh. They're semi-Mario characters, and you know it. There should have been a newcomer for Donkey Kong instead of Mario in my opinion. Yoshi, i don't see much potential characters except for maybe Kamek or Shy Guy. But that's about..

Yeah I know it, but they still deserve reps. So, you are saying Mario universe is "very over represented" but who should be cut? Luigi, peach, bowser, rosalina, DK, diddy, wario, Yoshi, bowser jr?

And you said "very". Does that mean more than one cut? Which couple of cuts then?

I take it you truly didn't mean what you said.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Smash Bros is a game for Nintendo fans, not just Mario and Pokemon fans. Other franchises deserve representation, the Mario and Pokemon fans are going to get diabetes from all the icing on their cake.
7 + 6 = 13. Out of 52. I believe the pre ninja 4chan leak. 13/52 is 25%.
Also Link is in Mario Kart. Link is a semi Mario character now.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I wonder if those not liking Pittoo will be always referred as "Vocal Minority". In all honesty, it baffles me why we're getting alts changing characters, just to show which Sakurai apparently liked enough to turn into separate characters. Lucina is an exception due her popularity. Doc is somewhat inbetween.

I wish Pittoo was more distinctive, because as a character, his concept has been done to death by Nintendo. He's just one of the only to be capable of talking and throwing snark. Not to mention, Pit has to have most lamest rival ever if it only boils down on being his "hidden depts" in animated form.,, still "Top 10 Nintendo Rivals"-material though for poor gaming review sites. :awesome:

I hope at the end he's merely a clone - though Dark Pit Staff seems to change that impression. Sakurai cares about making Pittoo more unique than Lucina, it seems.

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
But I already have diabetes :(
It's alright though, I'm happy with Jr. and if we get Mewtwo then that's even better. That being said, I would much rather get representation of other series like Metroid and DK.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
Mind if I remind you all that the number of reps per franchise is not a desicive factor in order to choose characters for the game?

Lucas and Lucina says hi.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I know it, but they still deserve reps. So, you are saying Mario universe is "very over represented" but who should be cut? Luigi, peach, bowser, rosalina, DK, diddy, Yoshi, bowser jr?

And you said "very". Does that mean more than one cut? Which couple of cuts then?

I would be absolutely fine with cutting Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario. Really, in terms of Mario characters... while there's a lot of them, I think we only really need the core four (Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach) anyone other than that is kind of just another Mario character in a universe where no one is given too much importance over anyone else. I like Bowser Jr., and I think he seems cool, but I'd rather have another character from a franchise that doesn't already have 5 characters, or add in a rep from a new franchise altogether. Dr. Mario is cool but also not at all necessary to an all-star game.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Yeah I know it, but they still deserve reps. So, you are saying Mario universe is "very over represented" but who should be cut? Luigi, peach, bowser, rosalina, DK, diddy, Yoshi, bowser jr?

Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser are the most important characters of the franchise. And really the most deserving ones to be in Smash, anyone after that is extra. Rosalina is probably the most deserving "extra", because she's been recurring in almost every Mario game after Galaxy. It should of stopped after her, again, in my opinion. I get that people here like Bowser Jr, but it's just how i feel. Dr. Mario though, do i need to explain this one? With custom movesets and unique alt costumes being used for characters, it seems they easily could have incorporated him the same way Project M does it.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
But I already have diabetes :(
It's alright though, I'm happy with Jr. and if we get Mewtwo then that's even better. That being said, I would much rather get representation of other series like Metroid and DK.
We'll the 4chan leak that ties in with Ninka really we'll despite coming before it, and it has both Ridley and Dixie Kong. (And Mewtwo) If this is true it seems you will be one happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom