• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
Yes, but it's handled differently than other corporate crimes. As far as I'm aware, there is no jail time attached to breach of contract for a corporation. Just very severe fines that cover a lump amount. You can't have minor breach of contract. Just breach of contract.
At this point the leaker has nothing to lose from leaking everything else he has, because Nintendo can only sue him for more money.
I see, I didn't know that it worked that way.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm probably crazy here, but the Duck Hunt logo...I don't think it's the 8-bit duck, but a recreation of Nintendo's Light Gun toy game from the 70's. Anyone know what that was called?

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
For further clarity: With breach of contract lawsuits, the end result is usually damages being paid to the party who had the contract breached. In this case that's probably going to be a number Nintendo determines privately. In addition, whatever penalties were listed in the NDA signed by the employee will be enacted. In this case, firing.

edit: http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/breach-of-contract-penalties.html

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yes, but it's handled differently than other corporate crimes. As far as I'm aware, there is no jail time attached to breach of contract for a corporation. Just very severe fines that cover a lump amount. You can't have minor breach of contract. Just breach of contract.
At this point the leaker has nothing to lose from leaking everything else he has, because Nintendo can only sue him for more money.
Wouldn't suing him still make him lose A LOT? They won't just get more money. They will get money from him. And most likely, he will lose A LOT because of that.
I just don't find that very compelling. People insisted there would be 2 more characters when the Melee CSS leaked. The lock and CSS pics could have been taken at different times.
Was it shown that All-Star mode or something like that was locked? No? Then you can't compare it. All-Star mode is unlocked ONLY after you unlocked EVERY character.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I hate that kind of argument anyway since it is as bad as "Mewtwo got replaced by f***ing Lucario?! PREORDER F***ING CANCELED!"

But it is a lot more likely. It couldn't be an accident that he got into "clones section" instead of right one, just like Lucina and Dr.Mario.

Yellow Devil is in the background. Anyway, forget what i said before about players being unable to reach them (Palutena's range and Pikachu's Down B FTW). It would be illogical for Ridley to just look at what happens while flying doing absolutely nothing and what if attacks will reach him?
I think that it would be better if he would be BELOW the platform or in that hole.
When characters go too high, they are unable to to be hit or hit anything. The same goes to certain moves. Along with that, Ridley does not have to be physically there, his shadow can be there but not him. This is called an illusion. We are talking about professional coders here, I also doubt he'll be flying around that one area. I think the shadow just kind of says "RIDLEY IS COMING." and nothing more.

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
Given that we know some characters have the ability to switch out to completely unique movesets, isn't it a bit premature to say Ganondorf hasn't been improved at all? And given that we still don't know the full roster, isn't it a bit premature to complain wildly about Dark Pit replacing Mewtwo when by many sources the latter could still be included?

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
It feels like there will always be people disappointed in the roster regardless of who's in

Regarding Ganondorf, I like that his moveset was the same since I enjoy Ganon the way he is. What maybe they could have done to give Ganondorf a new moveset was to create Toon Ganondorf. He uses two blades and is arguably the best Ganondorf in the series as a character in Wind Waker

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Round and round, the leak goes. Where it stops, nobody knows!

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I just don't find that very compelling. People insisted there would be 2 more characters when the Melee CSS leaked. The lock and CSS pics could have been taken at different times.
-Melee had a full menu background. This background is dark and seems to be filled by character backgrounds. I.e, it's meant to be filled by character slots rather than have gaping black areas. Nothing like Melee at all.
-The character ordering is nonsensical. It seems like an incomplete list, because it most likely is - I'd assume characters will move places in the final roster.
-All Star mode is locked. We know you need every character to unlock all-star mode.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
:troll:
Most likely trying to show off moves than play to win.

EDIT: On the Ridley thing
It would be a completely **** move for Sakurai to not mention him by name THIS ENTIRE TIME if he were just a boss in one stage in one version of the game. He'd be getting less billing than the Yellow Devil, and that's just a cameo.
Why do people say that? No it is not at all! It's freaking SAKURAI we're talking about.

Gamecube Kid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperSonicX2014
3DS FC
3325-3644-1635
Late response, but another reason people think there's more is the fact that some characters in the leaked roster seem to be positioned weirdly. Doc, D.Pit and Lucina aren't lined up with their franchises, so the theory is that once all the characters are unlocked everyone will be grouped together properly. IIRC it was like that in Melee and Brawl
Isn't that how it always starts out with characters away from their other reps?

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Also, if this leak comes from Brazil, wouldn't that put a dent in the ESRB story and make it seem more like a cover?

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
I heard leakers can also be arrested.

Why would he/she risk a job and all their reputation over a game coming out in less than a month?

Let this be a lessen to you all. Don't get too hyped. :smash:
No leakers cannot get arrested for simply leaking. The only ways he could get arrested is if he fails to pay the amount of damages he'll owe to Nintendo, OR, the leak was taken by an outside source on behalf of another company or group (this is known as Corporate Espionage), I posted a pretty decent summary of breach of contract law including a handy resource
http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/breach-of-contract-penalties.html

EDIT: needed to clarify some language

Last edited:

lavadeira

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1736-0917-9729
If he is being sued, I hadly believe he will leak more information. It can put him in a worse situation.

That is, assuming that afirmation in neoGAF is true.
Well, if he is sentenced to death, he will have nothing to lose.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Maybe not, but it's kind of digging yourself further into your own grave if they do that. Nintendo could be suing for a ton of money, depending on how much they think this effects sales
Kinda hard to sue someone for something they don't have. Not to mention that he can't get in any worse trouble than he's already in.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
When characters go too high, they are unable to to be hit or hit anything. The same goes to certain moves. Along with that, Ridley does not have to be physically there, his shadow can be there but not him. This is called an illusion. We are talking about professional coders here, I also doubt he'll be flying around that one area. I think the shadow just kind of says "RIDLEY IS COMING." and nothing more.
It says more "Ridley is watching you smash" IMO. Anyway, characters CAN hit something while that high. That is how you can see Ridley's death animation flaw in Brawl when you beat him when he is high enough (he just stops moving anyhow after certain number of frames, so, he will just stop moving before going off-screen). Thunder and most likely some of Palutena's attacks will still be able to hit things that high. It did (at least in Pikachu's case) in Brawl.
An extra 5k isn't much when you're already getting sued for 100s of thousands. Perspective. Also he's losing his job and ability to get a job anywhere else, especially in the games industry.
So, he HAS something to lose? And it is a lot. IMO, it was a very illogical decision to just lose so much just to leak some info.

I disagree that leaker having brazillian monitor/whatever can tell us something other than that he has one (or more for whatever reasons). You can have a non-brazillian monitor while living in Brazil and you can have a brazillian monitor while living in other countries. I and many others, for example, have some stuff made in China, so, it is from China, but i don't live in China.

Last edited:

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
An extra 5k isn't much when you're already getting sued for 100s of thousands. Perspective. Also he's losing his job and ability to get a job anywhere else, especially in the games industry.
This is true. Though if he got hit with another 5k with each new "image" (I quote it because videos likely count as many images), he could potentially wind up with massive additions to what he's already accrued.

WeirdyMike

Smash Rookie
NNID
MikeMike42
Currently, it is fairly easy to assume he will indeed be a straight clone. Since he is lumped in his own section along with Lucina and Dr. Mario, two of the biggest clones in Smash history, it is reasonable to assume he will also be a pretty direct clone. As in, clonier than Toon Link/Ganondorf.
Eww.

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
The funny thing is this leak is probably bringing more attention to Nintendo than it would have gotten with just the POTDs. I've seen so many articles on various sites about this today including the home page of Yahoo...the smart move by Nintendo would be to capitalize on this and start showing more of their trailers if they have them.

I mean at the end of the day, they just want to sell a ton of copies of this game and their consoles and as the saying goes, bad (in this case really just unexpected) publicity is better than no publicity.

PatMac

Smash Rookie
This leak is crazy, someone risking his or her life to leak a game coming out in less than a month? It's been such a crazy ride, I've decided to finally make an account.

I look forward to sharing the hype with all of you.

SolCalibre

One of UK's Best Sonics, apparently.
NNID
Solcalibur64
Sooner or later...actually never mind.

There's 400+ people here alone (almost 500) and i'm on 2 different threads from two different sites (including this one) I wouldn't be surprised if there are 1000+ speculating on this.

In 3 weeks time, this can be all put to bed, I'd rather get some sleep than to keep reading all of this.

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
This is true. Though if he got hit with another 5k with each new "image" (I quote it because videos likely count as many images), he could potentially wind up with massive additions to what he's already accrued.
Oh for sure. Also I love the mental picture of a NoA accountant browsing leak threads going:
*click*
"Picture of Duck Hunt Dog, $5000 penalty."
*click*
"Picture of Luigi's new FS, $5000 penalty."
*click*
"Oh a leak of Ridley,"
*pauses*
"$10000 penalty."

Ragel

Smash Apprentice
It feels like there will always be people disappointed in the roster regardless of who's in

Regarding Ganondorf, I like that his moveset was the same since I enjoy Ganon the way he is. What maybe they could have done to give Ganondorf a new moveset was to create Toon Ganondorf. He uses two blades and is arguably the best Ganondorf in the series as a character in Wind Waker
I'm dissapointed at some of the additions, true. But the main problem is who's not in. I don't mean "omg Ridley has to be in" style arguements. I'm reffering to characters that have been in smash before, and who are loved by many, that are being thrown aside while clones are being added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom