• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(possibly) new tech - sticky dashing

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
The video fall of brawl posted is what it looks like, I'm glad they posted it because my file got corrupted.

Ghoti

Smash Cadet
I've been doing this since the demo came out. I didn't think much of it at first; however, now I use it for mix-ups. It can be used to bait shield.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Yep, I've seen this before. This was in Brawl actually, and Luigi was the best at using it.
Really? I know there was crawl dashing in Brawl but not this, maybe I was too afraid to randomly trip lol

Ticker

Smash Apprentice
Does it add anything valuable to approaching? Can you use tilts out of it or anything like that or is it just kindof useless.

Last edited:

CaP_Omega

Smash Apprentice
This is weird. . . It's like a slow foxtrot. Definitely having some difficulty finding uses for this one aside from sheer confusion tactics.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
you can use any option out of it; tilts, grabs, smashes. anything

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
this wasn't in brawl like the way its on smash 4 I can literally do anything out of it, specially with falco and luigi

Ticker

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone else confirm that you can act out of it. Can seem to do it on greninja. If it proves useful I will probably put the time into learning it.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Warning Received
It's probably going to be patched out anyway like every non-pivot technique. Don't even bother.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
I saw a video of it, it's kinda like wave dashing except you can't do it backwards
Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPg-GQp2WA4
On some occasions I've been able to get a sudden burst of speed from doing this. It was easier to notice doing it with Link because he doesn't slide or crawl like Luigi does. It was actually easier on the 3DS version because of the round nest for the stick (so presumably a classic/pro/gamepad for Wii U should be the same) compared to the GameCube which has the grooves the stick will nest in.

Exactly how this speed burst happens is still difficult to duplicate. (THEORY INCOMING) At this point, I'm convinced there is something with catching the frame perfect transition between crouch and walk animation. Like, if you catch the right frames it momentum captures instead of cancels. The reason Dedede can't do it at all is likely because of his unusual crouch animation that completely stops all momentum entirely at all frames.

Friction does seem to play a small part in the ability to advance quickly with this. So you won't go quite as far doing it on grass. Characters like Link are -barely- affected (very small slide distance) while Luigi does seem to lose some distance but you won't really see it from repeated use, only if you stop and actually let him slide forward. I believe if you can do this perfectly and repeatedly, friction won't actually come in to play. Though that may be as difficult as repeatedly shining without leaving the ground in melee...

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Watched the video; it's exactly what I've been doing since the demo, but you're clearly better at it than me.

Oh damn! :crazy: Those it work with jigglypuff? :rotfl:
Like I've said, yes, Jiggs is really good at it.

Also friction is probably a factor. Pretty sure grassy terrains reduce friction by half or something and there is momentum involved here.

Last edited:

Skylit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skylit
I've also been doing this since the 3DS demo, but I haven't actually tried using it other then to just play around and have fun. Now that I'm thinking about it, this could beat a neat approach option, as you have more precision of your positioning and you can act a lot faster with your options as opposed to running and shield

Jiggly and Kirby could certainly use this to their advantage, as their crouch dodges a noticeable amount of moves in this game. This is perfect for approaching a projectile spammy opponent.

In case anyone wants to know how to do it, it's just rapidly rolling :GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDR::GCR: continously

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
So with this (forward wave dashing) and and crawl dashing (backward wave dashing), wavedashing is basically confirmed :denzel:
I kid, I kid. This is honestly some interesting stuff, I really hope NinjaLink takes a look at its potential uses and viability. @NinjaLink

Ticker

Smash Apprentice
Just so everyone knows the actual tech is the burst of speed you get when doing it properly

Last edited:

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
It's probably going to be patched out anyway like every non-pivot technique. Don't even bother.
Why the hell did this post get a warning? It's not like he's wrong, considering what Nintendo does...

CaP_Omega

Smash Apprentice
you can use any option out of it; tilts, grabs, smashes. anything
Indeed, but so can be done with walking as well. I mean while this sticky dash does have potential, the buildup seems far too slow for opponents to not capitalize on it, so walking just seems to be a better option if the goal is to be aggressive.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl

Kirby mains have been doing this for the longest of times as a taunt.

LOL.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Why the hell did this post get a warning? It's not like he's wrong, considering what Nintendo does...
Probably because of the excuse that "derp it doesn't contribute anything useful to the conversation".

If they're going to patch it out, why even bother?

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
There are two main aspects I can see this being a strong choice for, assuming you can master this to do reliably (ugh)
  • Sudden quick approach to close in with an option other than Grab, Dash Attack or Up-Smash
  • Covering distance faster to cross the stage to keep apply pressure you'd normally be too slow to achieve
It's unclear how well it would work to go opposite your facing. I'm pretty sure a non-attacking turn around has a few frames of animation delay before you would be able to do the movement input for the speed burst. Most characters could likely achieve the same thing easier if not completely better with a simple fox trot.

So what characters can get enough speed or extra approach options that it would it would be a noticeable help to their offensive game plan?

Top Bottom