• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(possibly) new tech - sticky dashing

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I found something while practicing my luigi, I was able to switch between dash and crawl fast enough to carry my forward momentum while keeping my character in their neutral frame leaving all options available. I've tested this with a character without crawl (kirby) and it works for them as well. The effectiveness of the sticky dash varies depending on the character, luigi and greninja have very good sticky dashes and I've been able to get some good follow ups but I haven't quite mastered it yet. If it turns out this wasn't new tech I apologize for posting this.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
It's similar to a shoryuken input but not quite, as for videos I'll try to have one up this weekend. After more testing link and luigi seem to able to take the most advantage from this. EDIT: it's much easier going left than it is going right due to the left stick being used for movement.

Last edited:

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
After more testing I can say for sure which characters have the best sticky dash. S tier: Luigi, Link; A tier: Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser Junior, Diddy, Sheik, Greninja, Mega Man, Rob, Fox, Falco, Samus, Pit, Dark Pit, Kirby. The rest of the cast all have mediocre sticky dashing (except Dedede he doesn't have one).

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
Start with your stick in a diagonal position, from there quickly move it from forward to down repeatedly if the smoke of the dash animation starts you're doing it wrong. When I first started doing it I wasn't moving very fast but the better I got at it I was moving faster than dashing

orochiwolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4098-3799-0637
I believe I have this "technique" down, when doing it correctly, the visual is that your character is switching from the full walk animation (simply tilting to stick to its max) to their couch animation repeatedly.

The movement is a bit of a glide rather than a dash. In fact, I tried to do simple things out of it like jab, Fsmash, Usmash, etc. and found no benefit over just walking and doing the same thing.

The way I did it is to quickly move your joystick in the 636363... fashion.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
If I get what you're saying, I've been doing this since the Smash demo and always thought it was just something people ignore. My experience online has taught me that a lot of people have a hard time doing this. I usually do it with Jigglypuff and WiiFit Trainer.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
If you do it fast enough you move faster than your walk and it allows some characters to advance speedily and move under projectiles.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Wouldn't say it's a new technique, this type of application was common in past games (moving and crouching), although I don't think it necessarily made characters slide in previous games (or if it did in Brawl it wasn't really noticeable enough).

I would say this has similar reasons for why pivot walking does what it does (if you do a turn around animation while walking then flick forward again you'll slide).

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Doing it fast is very useful actually, but it's pretty difficult on the 3ds controls, and I don't know about Gamecube.

Ozyroth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ozyroth
Sounds interesting, I'll try it later for sure. Hopefully we can get videos or some visual info on this.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Wouldn't say it's a new technique, this type of application was common in past games (moving and crouching), although I don't think it necessarily made characters slide in previous games (or if it did in Brawl it wasn't really noticeable enough).

I would say this has similar reasons for why pivot walking does what it does (if you do a turn around animation while walking then flick forward again you'll slide).
I think its way to early to tell if this is gonna be useful or not. Doing it at a high speed may help.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I'm gonna try to have a video up for you guys this weekend, my buddy has a capture card I'm gonna see if he can bring to my place on friday. The easiest character to practice this with is luigi although link's is really easy as well and his shield 100% covers him throughout the movement.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
I'm gonna try to have a video up for you guys this weekend, my buddy has a capture card I'm gonna see if he can bring to my place on friday. The easiest character to practice this with is luigi although link's is really easy as well and his shield 100% covers him throughout the movement.
Good to hear! I'd even be fine with a video recorded without a capture card.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Link and Luigi have possibly the best sticky dashes? SO DOWN FOR IT. Someone plz confirm this.

SilentBob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SgtFirestarter
3DS FC
1435-4126-3817
Oh damn. I'll heading home from work and I'll try this out once I arrive. I have a capture card so I'll try getting some footage once I nail it down.

SilentBob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SgtFirestarter
3DS FC
1435-4126-3817
I've been trying to do this for the past 20 minutes and I don't know if I'm doing it wrong but the character advances forward, goes into crouch position and slides. Except he only slides the equivalent of a few steps forward. If that's what's supposed to happen then I don't see much practicality in it.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
I've been trying to do this for the past 20 minutes and I don't know if I'm doing it wrong but the character advances forward, goes into crouch position and slides. Except he only slides the equivalent of a few steps forward. If that's what's supposed to happen then I don't see much practicality in it.
Just wait for the videos. If it works how I think it does then you'll have more options when approaching.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Luigi has spent his time in PM...waiting for the day he can return to the main series with wavedashing tyranny in play. We'd all best prepare ourselves...

Last edited:

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
It's not like wavedashing as you have to continuously do it to get alot of movement out of it, it's not a slide it's like more like a spasm I've been mixing it up with pivot grabs to get more use out of it. I'm finding it's hard to do it consistently but with enough practice I'm sure it will be second nature. I'm planning on recording on Friday and it shouldn't take much time to edit so I'll try to have it up later that day. I'll also try to record my hands so you can see how I'm doing it because I don't think I've explained the movement that well.

Koggy

Yoshi Adept
I think I'll get some practice in using it, just in case... Anyone establish any characters that can do it well?

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
I got this down........ Now what uses could it have? Aside from you being out of range on an opponent while crouching, you do it, and you're suddenly in range. Even though running out of crouch produces the same (if not better) result/s.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
every character can do it except Dedede, as for the squish canceling thing it looks similar to that but imagine it moving forward at a speed faster than your characters fast walk while having the ability to perform any action out of it. as of now I can't say for sure how viable it is just think of it as an option.

Makai

Smash Apprentice
If this is what I think it is, it's in every Smash game. It's really easy to do on a keyboard. I don't think it's ever been faster than a dash, though. I would make a video, but I can't get it to go faster than a dash.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
What stage are you doing this on? This sounds like something terrain would affect.
I haven't been able to reproduce it reliably enough myself, if Link is one of the best characters at doing this I'm inclined to believe Friction is a non-factor.

This sounds more like a momentum adder. There's a post about it somewhere... for the life of me I can't find it today. The post talked about moves that could create a forward momentum that could then be added to other moves to achieve faster then normal speeds. If that's what is happening here, the characters that can go faster with it likely have a high walk momentum on the first few frames that repeatedly get added together.

The other possibility is the dash is somehow being canceled on the first frame, so you're getting your fox trot without getting stuck in the animation. So they're getting the fast launch speed of their fox trot, which is probably faster then their top run speed. That would also explain why some of the slower characters can get supposed faster speeds, while already fast runners it's hard to see a difference.

Just a few theories, mind you. Until we know more about this it's hard to say exactly what is going on.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
The video should be up in a couple of hours, the capture card thing didn't work out so I recorded it on a phone. After more testing it would seem it does not move faster than your dash but rather just under the speed of your initial dash. it's difficult to do at full speed with 100% precision so for now I can't say how viable it is just think of it as an option. I've taken to using it like Kara-canceling in Street Fighter 4.

BluHawk007

Smash Rookie
Sounds very interesting. If this ends up being almost a pseudo-replacement for wavedashing this could turn out really cool and might speed up the game or at least make approaching an opponent more viable.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops!

Top Bottom