• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Marth tech found? (video inside)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
So then:

1. Back
2. Forward
3. Jump
4. Forward

Are all inputs performed as quickly as possible? Or is there a slight delay somewhere?

Do you have to return the forward inputs to neutral fully?
I just do it as fast as possible. And I do return the first forward to neutral but only to press forward again as quickly as possible.

The second forward...I guess if you do it right, you'll already be on stage, so you can decide whether you should return it to neutral or not xD

Corthos Fellrin

Smash Cadet
What makes Marth so special? (Not in a rude way) shouldn't other characters be able to do this or nah. Am I missing something? The way his jump animation is? This is great, but I feel like everyone has this but it needs to have different times. I guess that would mean I go back to the lab to see. If all the characters in the game had this that would be great. I don't mind just Marth having it tho gives more of a reason to play him.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
What makes Marth so special? (Not in a rude way) shouldn't other characters be able to do this or nah. Am I missing something? The way his jump animation is? This is great, but I feel like everyone has this but it needs to have different times. I guess that would mean I go back to the lab to see. If all the characters in the game had this that would be great. I don't mind just Marth having it tho gives more of a reason to play him.
Seems a few others can. But it has to do with some character animations that make your foot touch the stage when you let go and jump

OwlBanshee

Smash Rookie
Been trying to do this and I just can't seem to land it (no pun intended) consistently. I think my only issue is knowing the timing between each input. Especially betwee smashing the stick towards the stage and the jump. Anyone got any tips or a video to use as reference?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Going through some old vids, and apparently we can cancel aerials onto the stage instead of pressing forward a second time. This could make things a little easier.

Does anyone know more about this method?

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Going through some old vids, and apparently we can cancel aerials onto the stage instead of pressing forward a second time. This could make things a little easier.

Does anyone know more about this method?
I just did this today. Was trying to do a Nair from the ledge and I ended up landing immedietely before any hitboxes.

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
I said something about this before, but you don't need to input the last dash input. Proof of pudding:

https://youtu.be/wY59y60fib8

Also I wanted to PSA this. Since Marth is weaker than most of the rest of the cast, you really have to pick and choose which techs you want to have a complete mastery of and this one imho should not be considered in anyone's competitive repertoire, unless you are a god and already have every other tech mastered.

Not_Indigo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Same as username
I said something about this before, but you don't need to input the last dash input. Proof of pudding:

https://youtu.be/wY59y60fib8

Also I wanted to PSA this. Since Marth is weaker than most of the rest of the cast, you really have to pick and choose which techs you want to have a complete mastery of and this one imho should not be considered in anyone's competitive repertoire, unless you are a god and already have every other tech mastered.
I already mentioned the fact that you go into a standing position after doing this earlier in the thread, which you can do anything out of, and that I had inputted another dash after it. I'll update the gfy whenever possible. Now that replay uploading is possible, it would be easy to get a higher quality version, but I'd still have to borrow a gamepad from a friend first.

I agree that it shouldn't be practiced as much if you don't have other, less situational techs down (movement options like foxtrotting should be a higher priority). Having extra tools is never a bad thing, though. Being able to get up from the ledge with any of his attacks gives him an even better ledge game. From a trump attempt, if the other person buffers an option, Marth could get up instantly and jab/Utilt/grab to start a juggle, or Bair if they get trumped and recover high, or Fsmash if they get trumped and recover low for a ledge regrab.

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
I already mentioned the fact that you go into a standing position after doing this earlier in the thread, which you can do anything out of, and that I had inputted another dash after it. I'll update the gfy whenever possible. Now that replay uploading is possible, it would be easy to get a higher quality version, but I'd still have to borrow a gamepad from a friend first.

I agree that it shouldn't be practiced as much if you don't have other, less situational techs down (movement options like foxtrotting should be a higher priority). Having extra tools is never a bad thing, though. Being able to get up from the ledge with any of his attacks gives him an even better ledge game. From a trump attempt, if the other person buffers an option, Marth could get up instantly and jab/Utilt/grab to start a juggle, or Bair if they get trumped and recover high, or Fsmash if they get trumped and recover low for a ledge regrab.
That you did... I'll just uhh walk away slowly and down smash?

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I've been having trouble getting this off. I've been trying for a long time to do this and I try to do the back forward jump input as fast as possible but nothing seems to work. Any tips?

Horseketchup

Smash Cadet
Was looking through this thread, decided to make a gfy off of a video someone posted in here with this tech being done immediately into an fsmash:

Though it's hard to measure exactly because of 30 FPS, in this gif it appears that Marth is able to start the fsmash animation something like 15-18 frames after he first lets go of the ledge...which is honestly really, really fast.

Normal getup animation is something like 32-35 frames, so this essentially appears to be around twice as fast as a normal getup. And since it initially looks sort of like a normal getup, by the time the opponent realizes what you're doing you could catch them a quick jab, uptilt, or grab before they can really react properly.

I know some ppl might have wrote this off because of how hard it is, but being able to have a grab/hitbox out 21-25 frames after leaving the ledge could really be a game-changer for Marth, or whatever other characters possess it. Human reaction time is around 15 frames, so in general this could offer a close to unreactable getup option if it's really only 15-18 frames, especially since initially it's hard to distinguish from a normal getup.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
In reality, it's extremely difficult to react and act upon something that is less than 20 frames. Plus there's a slight input delay in your controller. So, yes, not only is it hard to tell what you're looking at but it's fast in general. This will only be punished as a read. Too bad we can't reliably do it at the moment.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
In reality, it's extremely difficult to react and act upon something that is less than 20 frames. Plus there's a slight input delay in your controller. So, yes, not only is it hard to tell what you're looking at but it's fast in general. This will only be punished as a read. Too bad we can't reliably do it at the moment.
Except on Lylat ;D

Top Bottom