• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokken Fighters: It's an actual thing now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
To answer your question, here are two links:
  • Link#1 will take you to a Pastebin list that lists every Pokemon with ン in its Japanese name.
  • Link #2 will take you to a post in the NintenZone Social Thread that narrowed down the list by removing all the pre-evolutions and most of the Pokemon that already appear as background or support Pokemon.
Changing the subject, I thought I'd give my thoughts what I think are the most likely candidates for the fighter reveal on the 10th in light of that hint. I copied and pasted it from original post in the NintenZone Social Thread..

I guess you could say the question I'm leaving at the very end is a new discussion starter. I'm curious to hear what others think are the most likely candidates for the next fighter reveal coming soon.
Well then that makes it easier then searching on Google which can be a pain at times...Thanks!
(fyi Snorlax is a background pokemon, it's chances are actually very low to be a playable character)

Here's what I think the likely candidates are that will at least generate a certain amount of hype...
1st Gen:

Alakazam-this is it IMO...Alakazam is a very popular pokemon from Gen 1, considering he was one of the strongest, with Psychic's only weaknesses being almost useless...I don't see Alakazam as too likely since we already have Gardevoir and Shadow Mewtwo

----

2nd Gen:

Typhlosion
Ampharos
Entei
Tyranitar

-these guys are definitely the most popular pokemon from second Gen that hasn't been eliminated (RIP :212:...until next character reveal;_;7) Entei would definitely hype people up a lot (and cause speculations as to when Raikou will join the playable roster) Tyranitar seems the most likely of the bunch as he can use Earth and Rock based attakcs which are both currently absent from the playable roster, and is a very popular poke as well...

----

3rd Gen:

Sceptile
Flygon
Salamence

Dragons everywhere...kinda...Sceptile is one of the top contenders for Pokken's first Grass type, and is a popular starter as well, Flygon is a heavily underrated pokemon that actually has quite the fanbase so I can see people get hyped for him...Salamence would definitely make for an interesting character as though Dragonite and Garchomp seem more likely picks for Pokken's first dragon type based on their popularity Salamence has a lot going for him as well, including his Mega form which could make for a strong fast flying fighter on the field....I know I'd be hyped as hell if salamence was revealed as he is my second favourite pokemon

----

4th Gen:

Empoleon
Luxray

really isn't too much choices here...Empoleon is a starter which gives him an immediate advantage for popularity and Luxray is a very surprising Dark horse in pokemon as he has a heck of a lot of popularity despite being subpar...Mamoswine might be as well...but we'll see...

----

5th Gen:

Terrakion

Terrakion is really the only one I can see generate hype has he is probably the most popular gen 5 legendary...there are other pokemon that may generate some hype like Conkeldurr, Galvantula, Meinshao, Bisharp, and Hydreigon but not on the same level as Terrakion...

----

6th Gen:

Chesnaught
Goodra

Gen 6 as is doesn't have too much else to offer, Chesnaught will give us a neat grass type fighter, and Goodra is a fairly popular pokemon simply based on being the latest pseudo dragon...Noivern is another popular one but I think these two have more going for them for this game at least...

----

Personally I feel like we may get another pokemon people may not expect...

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Well then that makes it easier then searching on Google which can be a pain at times...Thanks!
(fyi Snorlax is a background pokemon, it's chances are actually very low to be a playable character)

Here's what I think the likely candidates are that will at least generate a certain amount of hype...
1st Gen:

Alakazam-this is it IMO...Alakazam is a very popular pokemon from Gen 1, considering he was one of the strongest, with Psychic's only weaknesses being almost useless...I don't see Alakazam as too likely since we already have Gardevoir and Shadow Mewtwo

----

2nd Gen:

Typhlosion
Ampharos
Entei
Tyranitar

-these guys are definitely the most popular pokemon from second Gen that hasn't been eliminated (RIP :212:...until next character reveal;_;7) Entei would definitely hype people up a lot (and cause speculations as to when Raikou will join the playable roster) Tyranitar seems the most likely of the bunch as he can use Earth and Rock based attakcs which are both currently absent from the playable roster, and is a very popular poke as well...

----

3rd Gen:

Sceptile
Flygon
Salamence

Dragons everywhere...kinda...Sceptile is one of the top contenders for Pokken's first Grass type, and is a popular starter as well, Flygon is a heavily underrated pokemon that actually has quite the fanbase so I can see people get hyped for him...Salamence would definitely make for an interesting character as though Dragonite and Garchomp seem more likely picks for Pokken's first dragon type based on their popularity Salamence has a lot going for him as well, including his Mega form which could make for a strong fast flying fighter on the field....I know I'd be hyped as hell if salamence was revealed as he is my second favourite pokemon

----

4th Gen:

Empoleon
Luxray

really isn't too much choices here...Empoleon is a starter which gives him an immediate advantage for popularity and Luxray is a very surprising Dark horse in pokemon as he has a heck of a lot of popularity despite being subpar...Mamoswine might be as well...but we'll see...

----

5th Gen:

Terrakion

Terrakion is really the only one I can see generate hype has he is probably the most popular gen 5 legendary...there are other pokemon that may generate some hype like Conkeldurr, Galvantula, Meinshao, Bisharp, and Hydreigon but not on the same level as Terrakion...

----

6th Gen:

Chesnaught
Goodra

Gen 6 as is doesn't have too much else to offer, Chesnaught will give us a neat grass type fighter, and Goodra is a fairly popular pokemon simply based on being the latest pseudo dragon...Noivern is another popular one but I think these two have more going for them for this game at least...

----

Personally I feel like we may get another pokemon people may not expect...
Yeah, I forgot about Snorlax being a Background Pokemon. Kind of a shame though, as I actually started to gain an interest in seeing it in Pokken yesterday when I thought about what it could do.

I thought about Goodra too, and after reading your comment, I can now see it being another likely reveal for the 10th; it did have a prominent role in the anime as one of Ash's Pokemon for a period of time, so I guess that's another credential it has going for it. Flygon, unfortunately, is already a background Pokemon though (appears in that Regi stage).

Of all the likely candidates, the only ones I'm most interested in seeing at this point are Luxray, Salamence, and Bisharp. Too bad Gallade, Greninja, Swampert, and Krookodile (four of my top 10 most wanted) still have to wait though.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yeah, I forgot about Snorlax being a Background Pokemon. Kind of a shame though, as I actually started to gain an interest in seeing it in Pokken yesterday when I thought about what it could do.

I thought about Goodra too, and after reading your comment, I can now see it being another likely reveal for the 10th; it did have a prominent role in the anime as one of Ash's Pokemon for a period of time, so I guess that's another credential it has going for it. Flygon, unfortunately, is already a background Pokemon though (appears in that Regi stage).

Of all the likely candidates, the only ones I'm most interested in seeing at this point are Luxray, Salamence, and Bisharp. Too bad Gallade, Greninja, Swampert, and Krookodile (four of my top 10 most wanted) still have to wait though.
Didn't even know Flygon was a background poke...that sucks....

To be completely honest though I'm thinking this reveal will either be Tyranitar or Sceptile...they both bring something new to the fray, are popular and have badass mega forms to boot...they'd make perfect fighters...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
For my list, I tried to narrow it down as best as I could.

To begin, I tried to use these Criteria:
-Is this Pokémon an assist? I feel that's a big one as if you have a notable role in the game, I don't think you'll be considered. So due to that, Emolga, Ninetales and Whimsicott were kicked off of the list.
-With a couple exceptions, NFE Pokémon were kicked out following Opossum's list. Also, (though this was very rare) if the line has Pokémon that are much more popular/notable then the ones on the list, I took them off. So for instance, I took off Persian and Wigglytuff since I don't think they'd be considered over Meowth or Jigglypuff.
-How popular are they? As shown by Weavile, you don't have to be extremely popular to be picked, but it's still a decent contributing factor as it did had a good fanbase leading into the game.
-How big is their presence in Pokémon as a whole? Again, it doesn't have to be to an extreme extent as Weavile only has a few appearances that were notable compared to those like Lucario or Charizard, but ultimately it seems you do need to have some sort of notable presence.
-Moveset potential, this one is more of a personal assessment, but I do believe that they don't want to have a roster that's too similar to each other. Even Pikachu Libre has a very different moveset from Pikachu despite being the same Pokémon.
-Mega Evolution helps, but it's not the deciding factor as Machamp, Weavile, Suicune and the Pikachus can attest to.

Note: With background Pokémon, I'm half and half on it. I considered the possibility that it could be an eliminating factor, but ultimately I feel if the Pokémon is popular/notable enough, they could be considered anyway since we are talking about a different release from the arcade version. So because of that, I still had Pokémon like Slowbro on my list as a possibility despite that status since I feel that they have a chance to ascend from their previous role.

So with that in mind, here's the ones that I feel have a good chance due to matching those criteria:
Jigglypuff, Slowbro, Nidoking, Arcanine, Alakazam, Zapdos, Typhlosion, Ampharos, Wobbuffet, Kingdra, Donphan, Entei, Tyranitar, Sceptile, Ludicolo, Flygon, Salamence, Groudon, Empoleon, Luxray, Gliscor, Rhyperior, Emboar, Samurott, Audino, Galvantula, Scolipede, Chandelure, Hydreigon, Terrakion, Chesnaught, Sylveon, Goodra, Noivern, and Diancie.

For the ones that stood out to me the most out of that list, I came up with these guys. For now, I can't give an exact description for each, but overall, they're the ones I could see be the potential choice:

Jigglypuff, Slowbro, Arcanine, Alakazam

Ampharos, Entei, Tyranitar

Sceptile, Salamence

Empoleon, Luxray

Samurott, Hydreigon, Terrakion

Sylveon, Goodra, Noivern

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I'd say being a background Poke actually increases chances, since they already have a usable HD model, and there's no conflict whatsoever due to there being multiple to each.
For me I really want an Eeveelution, and I think one is extremely likely. However out of the current runners, I'd say Tyranitar has a good chance since everyone loves T-Rexs, and it's essentially the poke equivalent... would love if we got more than one character though

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Here's a wildcard: Lopunny

To answer your question, here are two links:
  • Link#1 will take you to a Pastebin list that lists every Pokemon with ン in its Japanese name.
  • Link #2 will take you to a post in the NintenZone Social Thread that narrowed down the list by removing all the pre-evolutions and most of the Pokemon that already appear as background or support Pokemon.
Changing the subject, I thought I'd give my thoughts what I think are the most likely candidates for the fighter reveal on the 10th in light of that hint. I copied and pasted it from original post in the NintenZone Social Thread..

I guess you could say the question I'm leaving at the very end is a new discussion starter. I'm curious to hear what others think are the most likely candidates for the next fighter reveal coming soon.
I'd like to point out when you mentioned Bisharp is a steel type that we don't have yet, we have a steel type under Lucario

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I'd like to point out when you mentioned Bisharp is a steel type that we don't have yet, we have a steel type under Lucario
You're definitely right. I forgot about Lucario being a Steel-type there since its Pokken play style basically focuses on its Fighting-type with little to no Steel-types types moves in its moveset.

Bisharp would definitely do the better job representing the Steel-type compared to Lucario though with all the slashing it can do combined with moves like Metal Claw and Iron Head.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I doubt larger mons like steelix or salamence would get in. They just wouldn't make sense gameplay wise. Besides imagine the camera angle with steelix XD.

I think a mon could be implemented slighty larger than charizard but that would be it.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I doubt larger mons like steelix or salamence would get in. They just wouldn't make sense gameplay wise. Besides imagine the camera angle with steelix XD.

I think a mon could be implemented slighty larger than charizard but that would be it.
Salamence isn't that big of a Pokemon. It's only 4'11" in its normal form, making it the same height as Gengar and smaller than Blaziken, Charizard, Gardevoir, Machamp, Mewtwo, and Suicune, while Salamence's Mega Evolution is only 5'11", making it slightly larger than Mega Charizard X but still smaller than Blaziken, Mewtwo, and Suicune.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Salamence is only 4'11, he's actually the shortest of the pseudo-legendaries and would be shorter then around half of the current cast in Pokken.

Edit: :4greninja:

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Salamence isn't that big of a Pokemon. It's only 4'11" in its normal form, making it the same height as Gengar and smaller than Blaziken, Charizard, Gardevoir, Machamp, Mewtwo, and Suicune, while Salamence's Mega Evolution is only 5'11", making it slightly larger than Mega Charizard X but still smaller than Blaziken, Mewtwo, and Suicune.
Yes but I meant its width is the problem. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Salamence is only 4'11, he's actually the shortest of the pseudo-legendaries and would be shorter then around half of the current cast in Pokken.

Edit: :4greninja:
Salamencr is fat.

FAT. Its height ain't the issue. Imagine dodging projectiles with something that takes up half the arena! (I'm half joking here so please don't take the post too seriously.)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looking at the list, here's the one's with Mega Evolutions

Alakazam
Slowbro
Ampharos
Tyranitar
Sceptile
Salamance
Audino
Diance

I think that's them all. And if we wanna get technical, Groudon with it's Primal Reversion

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yep, on of the ones on the short list of Mega evolvers. They really are doing this for the old crowd

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
Huh, can't believe I didn't found this thread until now. A thread about one of my most hyped games for 2016.
And...wait a minute...Sceptile confirmed for Pokken? HYPE.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well with it's Mega we get another dragon type.

Now we wait for 'that guy'. The one who claims it doesn't count unless it's the primary type of it's non-mega form.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well with it's Mega we get another dragon type.

Now we wait for 'that guy'. The one who claims it doesn't count unless it's the primary type of it's non-mega form.
To be fair, the Mega Evolution's typing doesn't really have an influence on their moveset aside from maybe their burst attack, so it's not like they're showcasing anything notable about that particular typing when they transform. So for someone who wants the Dragon typing to have more of an influence on how they play, they're not going to get that with Charizard and (likely) Sceptile.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I hope Sceptile is coming one of favourite Pokemon with his speed and elegance he's fit right in.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
All I'm saying is that it is just speculation for who can get in pokken.

NO WHERE states that one of each type gets in. NO WHERE does it state mons must have a mega to get in (Machamp). And NO WHERE does it state popularity (Pikachu Libre and Machamp over Hawlucha and *insert less forgettable fighting type here*)

Yes, these things may influence the picks but we shouldn't pass speculation off as fact.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I don't think anyone is passing off their speculation as fact, everyone here is pretty much just saying what they 'feel' or 'think' the possibilities may be and how much certain factors may have an influence. No one is saying that they're a concrete rule and their speculation is law, they're just going off of what they have and see if they get it right, which is what the fun of speculation should be.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

And to no one surprise, it's S̶m̶u̶g̶t̶i̶l̶e̶ Sceptile
I think I finally have a character I'm actually looking forward to playing after watching Sceptile's trailer!

I mean, prior to this trailer, I didn't have anyone I was that excited for, not even for Sceptile. Gardevoir was probably the closest character I had in mind for a potential main (largely because she's the only one of my top 10 favorite Pokemon to be playable at the moment), but that's changed as of now. With a really wide range of moves Sceptile has for his moveset with the arm blades, Bullet Seed, Leaf Storm, Grass Knot, that tail missile, etc, I think Sceptile was implemented really well. It's moveset captures its Grass-type in every possible way! It's so well done that it actually looks like a really fun character to play!

My only worry with Sceptile is that it could lower Gallade's chances at the moment due to the emphasis of the arm blades on the moveset (even one of Sceptile's moves in the trailer looked like the Grass-type version of Psycho Cut, Gallade's signature move, in terms of releasing a blade-shaped projectile). Ah well, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that Gallade will appear eventually.

And with Sceptile's inclusion, it's only a matter of time before we get Swampert to complete the Hoenn trio.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Looks like my number 2 (for the time being) is in...pretty much thought (given the hint, before it was leaked) that it would've been either Sceptile or Tyranitar, and lo and behold...

Now if we could get Scizor in the game, that would be amazing...Pretty much have my top three all set...
Love how smug it looks, and it appears really solid so far...

Now we wait for people to speculate about when Swampert will get in...

So, Sceptile was finally confirmed. He was one of the three Pokemon I was almost certain would get in.

Other two that I'm almost certain are regular Mewtwo and Greninja.

I'm personally hoping for Krookodile, but his chances aren't very strong. Oh well, at least Gengar got in.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
So, Sceptile was finally confirmed. He was one of the three Pokemon I was almost certain would get in.

Other two that I'm almost certain are regular Mewtwo and Greninja.

I'm personally hoping for Krookodile, but his chances aren't very strong. Oh well, at least Gengar got in.
eh, developers seem to be anti-playable 5/6 gen so Greninja may not be as likely as thought. Personally I think Blastoise would be sick, imagine how awesome iconic Char vs Blast battles would be in this engine. then again I want Genesect, Tyrannitar, and Golurk, oh and an eeveelution of course

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
eh, developers seem to be anti-playable 5/6 gen so Greninja may not be as likely as thought. Personally I think Blastoise would be sick, imagine how awesome iconic Char vs Blast battles would be in this engine. then again I want Genesect, Tyrannitar, and Golurk, oh and an eeveelution of course
Just because they haven't revealed a Gen 5/6 Pokémon yet doesn't mean that they have an anti-Gen 5/6 bias, it just means that they haven't revealed one yet. It's basically like saying they had an anti-Grass type bias before Sceptile was revealed, or that they have an anti-Rock type bias when they haven't revealed a Pokémon of that typing yet either.

The thing is we don't have the full roster for the Wii U version and that can easily have a couple from both that just haven't been seen yet. The absence of evidence is not the proof of absence, and we can't assume that just because something is missing that it means that it won't happen or that the developers are bias against it, we fell into that trap many times in Smash speculation and we should avoid that with Pokken's.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
That sceptile trailer was fricken' hype. I won't main the character but I'm sure glad he's in.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
According to the size of select screens we've seen there's potentially 8 characters remaining. (Space for 21 seen, minus 1 for random space minus 12 known characters). There's still room for Gen 5 & 6 Pokemon.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It is likely they aren't planning on filling any quotas with regards to typings, and Generation representation (otherwise we wouldn't have gotten Pikachu Libre)...

With that said both gen 5 and 6 do have pokemon to offer...Greninja and Zoroark seemingly being likely picks since they are arguably the most popular pokemon from their respective generations...

----

There's a few pokemon I can see joining the fray though...
Greninja & Zoroark as mentioned-both can play tricky characters in there own way, Greninja being a freakiNG Ninja! and Zoroark with it's illusion ability likely coming into play...

Tyranitar-very popular pokemon plus he'd be unique since we have no Rock/Earth based fighter yet

Scizor-another popular pokemon from Gen two, and arguably the most popular Bug type...I see Scizor's chances being good because once again he brings something unique to the table in addition to being popular (I hope for my sake I'm right because he's currently my most wanted)

Hawlucha-I haven't counted him out just yet...Pikachu libre is a luchadore sure, but Hawlucha has a completely different typing, Flying based wrestling would be very different to Librechu's electrical flash...

Lopunny-I believe Lopunny is the frontrunner for the game's first normal type...another kick-based fighter, but with a heck of alot more speed...and has a mega form to boot...

Mewtwo?-Shadow mewtwo is a thing...sure...but we also have two pikachus...Regular Mewtwo could use his Y mega form instead of Dark Mewtwo X, to help differentiate the two even further...He could be more reliant of special damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom