• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

TrustTheFungus

Smash Cadet
Here's four different movesets for Red:

1.This one is based on the Pokemon Red has in the end of GS. Red would quickly release a Pokemon, they would do an attack, and then return into the Pokeball.

B-Reflect(Espeon reflects projectile attacks)
B>-HydroPump(Blastoise shoots water forward)
Bv-Thunder(Exactly like Pikachu's)
B^-Fire Spin(Charizard carries Red upward in a ring of flames)
Extreme attack-Body Slam(Snorlax attack an opponent)
Throw-Vine Whip(Venasaur grabs an opponent wih his vines)

2.This is the same as above, but has the unevolved forms of his Pokemon.

B-Flamethrower(Charmander does an attack similar to Bowser's)
B>-Quick Attack(Eevee charges forward attacking opponents. This is similar to Pikachu's, but Red doesn't move, just Eevee)
Bv-Bubble Beam(Squirtle attacks with bubbles)
B^-Bounce(Munchlax jumps upward with Red holding on to him)
Extreme attack-Shock Wave(A powerful electric attack by Pikachu)
Throw-Vine Whip(Bulbasaur grabs an opponent)

3.Same as the above two, but uses HMs instead.

B-Surf(Water projectile attack(Squirtle? Blastoise?))
B>-Cut(It's like Marth and Roy's(Bulbasaur? Venasaur?))
Bv-Flash(A bright flash of light stuns nearby opponents(Pikachu? Espeon?))
B^-Fly(Pokemon carries Red up(Charizard?))
Extreme attack-Rocksmash or Strenght(Snorlax?)
Throw-Probably just a normal grab.

4.In this one Red doesn't use Pokemon at all! (Well, almost)

B-PokeFlute(This s like Jigglypuff's Sing, only it makes opponents dance instead of sleep)
B>-PokeBall(A ranged version of Yoshi's EggLay. Red would not be able to throw the PokeBall very far, so that this will not be unbalanced)
Bv-Item Finder(Just like Peach's Turnips. Red mostly finds PokeDolls(Which can be thrown just like Turnips), but will rarely find a PokeBall(Like the item, not his B attack))
B^-Bike(When on the ground Red charges forward on the MachBike. When in the air Red bounces up on the AcroBike)
Extreme attack-Pikachu(Pikachu does a powerful electric attack)
Throw-Probably a normal grab, but his fishing pole could be used, also.

c.falcon 58

Smash Apprentice
hey i have to admitt that was a good idea but im gonna have to give itt a thumbs down because he doesn't have any attacks at all except for throghing pokeballs :ouch:

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
c.falcon 58 said:
hey i have to admitt that was a good idea but im gonna have to give itt a thumbs down because he doesn't have any attacks at all except for throghing pokeballs :ouch:

*Ahem*

Zelda - All of her attacks are attacks used by Link in OoT
Fox/C.Falcon - Moves were completely fabricated
Peach - Uses sports equipment, which was never used for combat before SSBM
G&W - None of his moves were ever combative except in SSBM

Red Having no attacks:

A.) Doesn't matter in the slightest
B.) Isn't true at all!

Wave Bird

Smash Apprentice
Personally I think that would be a great idea.

The only concern for me is people spamming up the pokeball throw.
If he had a lower percent for really good pokemon [Entei, Ho-oh ect..] it would be fine.

AND for a custom change could be the girl from Crystal. 8)

Deku Boy

Smash Cadet
Red in SSB

I think Red would be an awesome idea. Trainers need a representative, and Red is the perfect one to do it. I've got a moveset for him right here:

-Stats-
Size: 3/5
Weight: 3/5
Power: 2/5
Speed: 3/5
Jump: 4/5

-Specials-
B: Poké Ball(Red throws a poké ball. On contact, it causes damage and traps the foe inside. The ball can be thrown into the ground for damage, off the stage, or into level hazards. While in the air, opponents will break out of the ball much faster and will be popped into the air after coming out of the ball. 4-6% )

Smash B: Bike(Red pulls out his bike and starts speeding across the stage. Rapidly tap B to pedal and keep the move going, and turn with <>.6-10% decreases with speed. )

Down B: Repel(Red pulls out a can of Repel and sprays himself. For 3 seconds he will be surrounded by a shield of fumes, which reflects physical projectiles, and knocks opponents down. If used in the air, Red gets knocked down also. After use, it takes 10 seconds to recharge for another use, which is indicated by a spray can on Red’s belt.)

Up B: Fly(Red jumps onto a flying Pok'emon, which carries him straight upward then dives downward at a diagonal angle. 5-13%)

Super Smash: Ultimate Attack (Red randomly releases either a Venusaur, Charizard or Blastoise which uses it’s respective elemental “Ultimate Attack.”(Frenzy Plant, Burn Blast and Hydro Cannon) Red stands next to them as they do this and won’t move until the attack is complete. Frenzy Plant covers the ground in damaging vines, Burn Blast shoots a huge constant fire blast diagonally upward across the stage, and Hydro Cannon rapidly shoots many small water blasts across the stage at random trajectories.)

-Throws-
Grab: Super Rod(Red whips out the Super Rod and casts. The tip of the line will hook opponents and Red will reel them in.)

Grab Attack: Pound(Red smacks the opponent on the head with his fist.1%-3% )

U Throw: Poké Ball Toss(Red puts the foe in a poké ball and tosses it into the air. They are released in a random direction at the apex of the throw.5-8% )

D Throw: Bunny Hop(Red slams the opponent into the ground and bounces on them with his bike 3 times quickly.3-4% slam, 1-2% per bounce)

F Throw: Pack Launch(Red winds back, back pack in hand and smashes it into his foe’s face launching them forward.6-8% )

B Throw: Escape Rope(Red attaches an escape rope to them and throws the foe forward. After going forward about 5 Feet, he swings them back around on it and sends them spinning in the other direction.5-8% )

- Regular Attacks-
A: Punch(2-3% )

A-2: Punch(2-3% )

A-3: Uppercut(An uppercut. Upward knockback.3-4% )

Dash A: Running Shoes(Red starts using his running shoes and dashes really fast for a second to bowl over enemies. Knocks them back/up.4-7% )

U Tilt: False Swipe(Red punches upward. Minimal upward knockback.3-7% )

D Tilt: Dig(Red crouches(or is already crouching) and punches across the ground. Small forward/upward knockback.2-5% )

F Tilt: Rolling Kick(A kick forward.4-8% )

U Smash: Skull bash(Red jams his head upward to headbutt his enemy straight up.10-20% )

D Smash: Bag Sweep(A sweep attack with Red's back pack. up/back knockback.9-16% )

F Smash: Pack Smack(Red pulls off his pack and swings it in front of him, then quickly replaces it. Strong horizontal knockback.8-20% )

N Air: Jump Kick(Kicks and spins.4-9% )

U Air: Sonic Boom(Red turns upside down and stomps upward.6-12% )

D Air: Sky Attack(Red winds up and punches downward causing him to flip. If Red hits an opponent at the very beginning of the punch, it's a meteor smash.5-9% )

F Air: Aerial Ace(A forward mid-air punch. Knocks the opponent down and forward .6-8% )

B Air: Double Kick(Turns and does a series of two kicks. Low knockback for the first hit, mid knockback for the second one.3-5% each hit )

Stand up attack: Spikes(Red kicks up his feet to attack, then uses them to right himself.2-3% )

Ledge attack 1 (Under 100% damage): Slam (Red pulls himself up into the air then kicks hard, then lands on the stage.2-4% )

Ledge attack 2 (Over 100% damage): Double Edge(Red pulls himself up into a shoulder ramming attack.1-3% )

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
I always thought that a trainer character should use starter pokemon for their ^,V, and <> B moves. And use a pokeball catch for their B. Moreover, I think that after a certain number of uses the pokemon used for each move would evolve, becoming more powerful, and then once again.

This would reset if the trainer died.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
First off it wouldn't have to be Red, he could actually be Ash because ifyou go all the way back to the N64 there is atleast one game that does actually call him Ash and that is Pokemon Puzzle League. Second of all the idea of turning a trainer into an actual fighter is just wrong also I absolutely hate the moveset, but if a trainer must be in it should be Ash as he is the logical choice as he is the most important character. I am going to say no to all trainers in general.

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai had a choice in the original SSB. Let the trainers fight, or the pokemon. Sakurai decided to let the pokemon go solo and fight for themselves.

No trainers.

First off it wouldn't have to be Red, he could actually be Ash because ifyou go all the way back to the N64 there is atleast one game that does actually call him Ash and that is Pokemon Puzzle League. Second of all the idea of turning a trainer into an actual fighter is just wrong also I absolutely hate the moveset, but if a trainer must be in it should be Ash as he is the logical choice as he is the most important character. I am going to say no to all trainers in general.
No, it would be Red. Ash is an Anime character and Anime characters aren't allowed. Puzzle League used pictures and things from the Anime so it doesn't count, just like how Pokemon Yellow doesn't count toward the pokemon canon.

But I agree. No to all trainers, and Red would be the most logical choice if they were letting trainers in.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
If trainers were supposed to fight they would have been in SSB and not the Pokemon. So I say no to any trainer. Pokemon are better then the trainers anyway.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
I think the point people are missing is that trainers offer a new playstyle, that of a summoner. I'm not suggesting that his A-attacks be awesome, but if a player were to place pokemon strategically, they could own while keeping their characters out of harms way. A trainer character would be quirky and difficult to master, and above all else: original.

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
I think the point people are missing is that trainers offer a new playstyle, that of a summoner. I'm not suggesting that his A-attacks be awesome, but if a player were to place pokemon strategically, they could own while keeping their characters out of harms way. A trainer character would be quirky and difficult to master, and above all else: original.
Summoners are only good when their summons aren't already playable and/or items. :laugh:

If you want a summoner, I suggest Hiro from Card Hero.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
When Sakurai made his choice to put Pikachu into Smash 64 instead of Trainers, it's not like he said "Well, I better not EVER put trainers into the game, or the world would die." There is still the possiblility the the Devs would like to put in tome extra pokemon Rep in the form of a trainer.

As for summoners using things that are already items, We've seen, what? thirty pokemon in the pokeball items? How many pokemon are there? Hundreds. Not to mention that other characters in the game use weapons that resemble items, like Ness with his bat, Fox/Falco with their lasers, and Samus with her Super-scope like Charge shot.

So all you have to do is either replace the pokemon in the Pokeball item with different pokemon that Red doesn't use, or have Red use the more obscure pokemon that don't appear in the Pokeballs. Either way, it would be awesome.

ilabb

Smash Apprentice
Not to mention that Pikachu and Jigglypuff are about 100x more recognizable than Red, which is why Red didn't make it into Smash 64. That's not nearly as much of an issue as it was before, though. I mean, why would you make the first rep from Pokemon not a Pokemon?

That's not an issue anymore. Saying that Sakurai chose Pokemon over trainers and thus will never have trainers is just dumb. It's like saying that Sakurai chose Bowser over Wario as the Mario antagonist for SSBM so Wario can NEVER EVER SHOW UP EVER OR EVERYTHING DIES. We know what happened after that, right?

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Summoners are only good when their summons aren't already playable and/or items. :laugh:

If you want a summoner, I suggest Hiro from Card Hero.
Oh, I hate playing as summoners. Can never get the hang of them. I like speed in Melee. Anyway, they wouldn't be playable or items. The final evolutions were pokeballs in Melee, and not too awesome ones, so they could just be take out and made Trainer Character exclusives. NOt to mention that I'm not suggesting Pikachu, Jigglypuff or Mewtwo as moves for a trainer character.

WanderingAngel

Smash Journeyman
well with what ive read and the movesets youve come up with it just doesnt sound good but im not saying the main idea is bad like someone said show a picture of red to someone and he/she wont know its about pokemon... anyway the only way i see this happening is as a duo character like iceclimbers, well it would be red and a pokemon i dont know maybe blaziken, hitmolee, hitmochan, etc...

also the idea of grabbing an opponent with a pokeball is not bad if u make it like yoshi's second grab were he turns you into an egg well same thing goes for red he takes out the rod with a pokeball at the end and if ur succesful u capture the opponent and the thorwing pokeballs would work just like peach turnips. actually this character would work like a character with moves from other people or something like that

*Throw pokeballs(instead of getting death pokeballs maybe you could get a pokeball with a pokemon inside ofcourse the chances of getting one would be the same chances as getting peach's death turnip and remember there is an extra chance that youll get goldeen)=peach turnips
*capturing opponents inside pokeballs with fishingrod=yoshi's tongue
*assuming he gets blazike as a partner, flamethrower=bowser's flame
*using the fishing rod to hook up to the sides of the stage=samus and links hookshot
*the Up+b like many have said could be with a pidgeot

so like i said im not saying is a great idea but its not impposible either :ohwell:

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Hm. It just occred to me that Red should have one final evolution from each generation.
so...
Blaziken, Feraligatr, and Venasaur are ^, <\>, and VB while pokeball capture would be B.
Or it could be any of the other eight combinations possible. I dunno.

And he will be recognizable as a Pokemo character, he has pokeballs all over his clothes.

supermarioman

Smash Rookie
Yea i live this idea just as long as Ash is in no wa involved. You could make this character gensius i fyou spend time on him.

B- tosse pokeball in mini form, which disappears on contact, disappears as red ball of light that fades out.

B up-sound of a pokeball opening and pideot seems to come out of his back pack..works like a Marth or Roy B up but obviously a little different.

B over - sound of a pokeball opening and a squirtle (saying "squirtle") surfs outward on a very small extension of water, then returns, not particularly powerful but it does send the opponent tumbling backwards on occasion. (Red also has a vey small amount of water just uner his feet and he moves forward a little when this attack is performed.)

B Down-Red holds a clefairy or pikachu doll out which works as a counter attack, similar to Peaches.

Smash A over- red points his finger and you hear a faint pokeball sound openign adn a "scy" a scyther 's upper body pops out of his backpack and gives a weak slice immediately followed by a pretty powerful one...as reds arm extends to pointit is nearly impossible to escape the weak first slice. scyther's upper body is not much larger thatn red's in this move.

Smash up -red faces towards the screen and rises up with his hands in fist after he rises form getting low, as he does this a hitmontop quickly extends his head up using his spike to send the oppontent up

Smash Down- red throws one of those pester balls straight down form pokemon snap which sneds harmful purplish colouds left and right..you could aslo say he throws ether

Dash A- red rides his bike for a short amount of time...works like kirby's dash A. the bike quickly folds up and is put back in the backpack...happens real quick.

neutral A- punch or series of punches, if you pause and look closely red has rocks from the safari zone in his hands, helping him do damage, because we all know red cant really fight on his own.

down tilt A-swings leg on ground real weak

over A tilt- kicks real weak

up tilt A- puts his fists together, so thumbs are touchign thumbs, and swings them over his head, again has rocks in his fists but they are basically not visible because of the way his hands are clinched

Fair- you can spot a bulbasaurs head sticking out of reds bag and he uses vine whip...like LUigis Fair only with vine whips, (cant u all see how that oculd work) again u hear the pokeball openign sound along iwht maybe a fiant "bulba"

Bair- red does a complete spin around and charmander is clutching his backpakc on the turn around and charmanders tail with the flame at the end swings around for the hit, this time you hear charmander say "char" before he becomes visible.

Dair- Red is straight and points just his feet up striking opponent with heels (not to strong)

Uair-Pidgeot does "wing attack" just striking with his wing up.

grabs would be with super rod- sorta like agrappling hook his animation when he gets soemone you can see him "reel " them in like and and he jst swings the rod to throw them each way, for the down thorw he would just smal em into teh ground. forward would look like hes doing a shortened casting of the rod, and back hed just swing em back and up hed just grab them off the rod and throw them up.

in his taunt suirtle, bulbasaur, and chramander's head stick out of red's back pack and red reveals his badges by putting his hands on his waist moving his jacket back, he says "Got em" or ewhatever it says when they catch a pokemon...this could be wihtout the pokemon's heads sticking out.

Taunt 2- he clinches a poke or master ball in his hands, sorta tilts his hat over his eyes and liek tilts his head down and really doesnt say anythign, just maybe a hmph....this may be more logical as he is silent when you encounter him in gold/so;ver version.

This dude coudl work, give him a Shot
His Super Smash Could be called Pokeball rush:

He opens up his jacket, revealing many pokeballs. Many pokemon will randomly come out and swarm! lol

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I would be really surprised if Nintendo added him, but it wouldn't be da end of da world if ya know what I'm sayin. I can tell ya dis much, I would not pick him to fight anyone in serious tournaments where money is on da line!

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
I would be really surprised if Nintendo added him, but it wouldn't be da end of da world if ya know what I'm sayin. I can tell ya dis much, I would not pick him to fight anyone in serious tournaments where money is on da line!
Even if he turned out to be High Tier?

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Yup, even if he was High Tier.

"This games winna is: Red"

Not ever goin to happen, I don't care who's playin as him son! He ain't ever goin to win!

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've decided to bump some of my favorite topics. I like Red. I think he would make an awesome character choice. Thoughts/movesets/reprimands?

Edit: I just realised that the newer "Red in SSBB" topic was technically better, or at least had an extremely compelling OP. So in the interest of that, I shall now post that Original Post in my post. Enjoy.

Keep in mind, this was around when people were voting in Sakurai's poll, so the post talks about that quite a bit.

Click on the little white arrow in the blue box to link to the topic this was posted in. Warning: Wall of text!

Let’s get right to the point. This is a topic where you give your opinion on if you want Red to be in SSBB; either you do, don’t, or don’t care(Please respond even if you don’t care.) I’m going to collect all of the data and send it to Sakurai in one week(or less if the topic becomes inactive). I’ll also be sending along a packet of support for Red, including an explanation of Red’s character, how he may work in Super Smash Bros, why he should be in SSB, and finally, a full moveset. Both a Japanese and English copy will be included. I’d suggest reading it before you vote, it has got a lot of info:

TABLE OF CONTENTS

I Intro
II Red as a character
III Reasons
IV Demand
V Red as a fighter
VI Moveset
VII Closing

I Intro

In Super Smash Bros, series are represented by what is important to them, whatever is most significant to the games. Many believe that in the pokémon series, this is held by the pokémon alone. I am here to tell you, that they are wrong. Pokémon are incredibly important to the series, yes, but they are not all that is significant. Trainers are significant. Trainers are the basis of every pokémon game right along with the pokémon themselves and are as essential to the games as they are. Trainers are the people of the pokémon world, they're the protagonists and the villains and the rivals and friends. Pokémon are important, but trainers are also.

Surely though, we cannot expect trainers as a whole to make an appearance in Super Smash Bros. Obviously a representative of trainers must be used. It is also obvious, that this trainer should be Red. Red is the original protagonist of the pokémon games, and the only protagonist to appear many times in the series, appearing in 9 of the 14 games, half of the series. No other character, pokémon or human alike has had as much effect in the games as Red has, making him the ideal trainer to represent the series.

I'm not sure if you've thought of Red in SSBB before, but I'm sure you'll think a bit more of him after this. This is filled to the brim with support for Red, so, I just want to humbly ask you not to ignore it. I apologize for the simplicity of the language, though, I’m an American fan, and this translation was slightly awkwardly obtained.

II Red as a character

By now, you know who this is for, Red. But from my support of Red in the past, it has come to my attention that many do not know much about Red, or even that he exists, not that you are necessarily in this category, of course. If you already know who Red is, feel free to skip this section, but if not, I've compiled a lot of information on Red for you.
Red is an eleven year old boy living in Pallet Town, in the Kanto Region of the pokémon world. Red and his neighbor, Blue, were childhood friends, but that all ended as they got older. Blue became a bully, and their friendship became a rivalry. One day, Red was told by his mother that Professor Oak, one of the leading researchers on pokémon and Blue's grandfather, had called for him to visit his lab. After a bit of mishap looking for Oak, he found Blue in the lab as well, and Oak told them each to choose a pokémon, and later gave them each a pokédex and a mission, to complete it by gathering info on every pokémon in the world.

From here, Red goes on an adventure with his pokémon team that spans all of Kanto. He traveled to every Gym and defeated the leaders to get the skills he needed to continue on his quest, and clashed many times with the evil Team Rocket. Of course, Blue managed to stay one step ahead of Red through out his entire adventure, but Red finally caught up at the Indigo Plateau, after defeating Giovanni in the Viridian City Gym and foiling Team Rocket's world domination schemes for good. Red defeated each member of the Elite Four, only to find Blue waiting as his final challenge. In the final conflict, Red is the victor and becomes the new League Champion. Red did not stay, however, but continued on his quest to continue the Pokédex, and was later admitted to Mount Silver, where he trains constantly with his team, silently defeating any challenger who should come to fight him.

And that's Red in a nutshell. I hope you'll take this and the rest into consideration for him.

III Reasons

1 There has yet to be a trainer in Super Smash Bros. This may seem thus, that it should not be done because it would be too difficult, but a trainer could be a very unique character. Using a trainer would lead to a unique moveset using either the trainer's team of pokémon or the items that the trainer uses to catch and control the pokémon.

2 Trainers, despite everything, are an incredibly important character to the pokémon series. Trainers deserve a representative in Super Smash Bros, because without them, the pokémon series wouldn't be what it is today. Trainers drive the stories of the pokémon games and almost every significant character in the pokémon series is a trainer.

3 There are, really, very few significant pokémon with actual reason to represent the series. Pikachu and Jigglypuff, for example, I'm sure they were picked for their popularity, Pichu was picked as an easy clone character I'd assume, and I'm not sure of why Mewtwo was picked. The point is, the popular, iconic pokémon have already been used. Why not leave that new pokémon character slot to someone with business representing the series?

4 There are two distinct goals in the pokémon series, one is battling to become the best trainer, and that's what the pokémon in the game represent. The other aspect of the game, the catching portion of the game, can't be represented by pokémon. The pokémon aren't the one's catching pokémon and filling the pokédex, trainers are.

5 On the other side of that, trainers would make excellent representatives of the catching aspect of the game. The trainers have all of their pokémon capturing equipment that could be integrated into the moveset, and their presence alongside pokémon in the game would remind people of this part of the game. The pokémon series currently has five things representing it; four pokémon and one item, none of which relate to the second goal of the game.

6 Red is unique among trainer choices from the pokémon series because, among other things, he is a protagonist. Furthermore, Red is the first protagonist of the series, making him a good choice for a pokémon protagonist in Super Smash Bros. Pokémon is the only series represented in Super Smash Bros currently which does not have a protagonist as a playable character. Red would fit well into the role as the first protagonist in the series.

7 Unique about Red among the protagonists, however, is the fact that Red is the only protagonist to make additional appearances beyond his debut. Red made an appearance as an enemy trainer in Pokémon GSC and in Pokémon Stadium 2. Red is also the only character to be playable in more than one generation, with his game's remakes in Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen.

8 Not only that, but Red has appeared in every generation of the games so far, thus making him recognizable to pokémon vets and those who are new to the series. Unlike other trainers, who've made appearances in only one generation, Red can be recognized by almost anyone who's ever played a pokémon game. Red, Blue and Lance are tied as the three significant characters with the most appearances.

9 In his appearances in Pokémon GSC and Pokémon Stadium 2, Red became notable as the most powerful trainer to ever appear in the series. Not only was Red's team in pokémon GSC the strongest any trainer in the series has ever had, but in pokémon Stadium 2, he used several rare and "legendary" pokémon, something opponents in the games don't typically do. Red's team is the best around, and he's the best equipped trainer to fight in Super Smash Bros.

IV Demand

This is the section I'm working on with this topic, so I'll get back to you with it once the research is done.

V Red as a fighter

It may seem that a trainer, like Red, would be a difficult character to implement in Super Smash Bros. If we just take a moment to look at the skills that trainers possess in their own game, it might become a bit clearer as to what a moveset for them should be. Trainers in the pokémon series have a lot of equipment for catching pokémon, a lot of which could be converted into attacks for Super Smash Bros. Any item, no matter how simple it seems, could serve a useful purpose in a Super Smash Bros fight. Take Repel, for example. In the games, Repel simply kept wild pokémon from attacking you. In Super Smash Bros, Repel could become a fume shield that reflects physical projectiles and keeps opponents at bay for a few seconds, while you're free to move around. Obviously, the move would need a downside, such as a wait time between uses, or a lot of lag, but it could make a great move. Another part of trainers that could be applied to Super Smash Bros is their pokémon team. The trainer, Red, could have access to his pokémon for certain moves, obviously his more powerful ones. For example, his "Super Smash" could be summoning a strong pokémon to use an attack across the stage, or he could use the various HM move that he acquires in the game, like using Fly for recovery. With trainers, the limit is only where you draw it, and I'm sure that you could come up with a moveset that would impress us all based on trainers’ skills.

As for Red’s stats, I would say that Red should be fairly balanced, but not completely. Power or weight would be good places to give him a disadvantage in, while Speed or jumping ability could be his strong points. When considering weight, you have to consider though that Red is carrying an awfully large amount of equipment, so he’s bound to have some weight on him, though he’s also smaller than Link, so he won’t be too heavy. At the same time, his inexperience in combat would prevent his attacks from packing much power. His speed and jumping abilities would likely be his strong points, because he’s young, and thus fairly agile.

When making a Red moveset, that is, if you put him in Super Smash Bros, aside from the above advice, remember this, Red is not skilled at fighting. Red's regular attacks, his punches and kicks should not be as precise and striking as the other characters, because Red is just a young boy. I'd predict that Red's moveset would involve a few attacks which just don't seem to make any sense, basically just any moves that show his inexperience. Red's trump cards would be his items and pokémon. Red's pokémon catching items would allow him to manipulate his opponents. He could capture his opponent in a poké ball then release them right into an environmental hazard, or even another enemy's attack. Red's pokémon would bring the punch that he needs to drive his victory.

That is all my advice for if you decide to make a moveset for him. I don't want to tell you how to do your job, because you do it best. All I can offer from here is an example moveset of my own creation, in the neatest format that I could muster.

VI Moveset

-Stats-
Size: 3/5
Weight: 3/5
Power: 2/5
Speed: 3/5
Jump: 4/5

-Specials-
B: Poké Ball(Red throws a poké ball. On contact, it causes damage and traps the foe inside. The ball can be thrown into the ground for damage, off the stage, or into level hazards. While in the air, opponents will break out of the ball much faster and will be popped into the air after coming out of the ball. 4-6% )

Smash B: Bike(Red pulls out his bike and starts speeding across the stage. Rapidly tap B to pedal and keep the move going, and turn with <>.6-10% decreases with speed. )

Down B: Repel(Red pulls out a can of Repel and sprays himself. For 3 seconds he will be surrounded by a shield of fumes, which reflects physical projectiles, and knocks opponents down. If used in the air, Red gets knocked down also. After use, it takes 10 seconds to recharge for another use, which is indicated by a spray can on Red’s belt.)

Up B: Fly(Red jumps onto a flying Pok'emon, which carries him straight upward then dives downward at a diagonal angle. 5-13%)

Super Smash: Ultimate Attack (Red randomly releases either a Venusaur, Charizard or Blastoise which uses it’s respective elemental “Ultimate Attack.”(Frenzy Plant, Burn Blast and Hydro Cannon) Red stands next to them as they do this and won’t move until the attack is complete. Frenzy Plant covers the ground in damaging vines, Burn Blast shoots a huge constant fire blast diagonally upward across the stage, and Hydro Cannon rapidly shoots many small water blasts across the stage at random trajectories.)

-Throws-
Grab: Super Rod(Red whips out the Super Rod and casts. The tip of the line will hook opponents and Red will reel them in.)

Grab Attack: Pound(Red smacks the opponent on the head with his fist.1%-3% )

U Throw: Poké Ball Toss(Red puts the foe in a poké ball and tosses it into the air. They are released in a random direction at the apex of the throw.5-8% )

D Throw: Bunny Hop(Red slams the opponent into the ground and bounces on them with his bike 3 times quickly.3-4% slam, 1-2% per bounce)

F Throw: Pack Launch(Red winds back, back pack in hand and smashes it into his foe’s face launching them forward.6-8% )

B Throw: Escape Rope(Red attaches an escape rope to them and throws the foe forward. After going forward about 5 Feet, he swings them back around on it and sends them spinning in the other direction.5-8% )

- Regular Attacks-
A: Punch(2-3% )

A-2: Punch(2-3% )

A-3: Uppercut(An uppercut. Upward knockback.3-4% )

Dash A: Running Shoes(Red starts using his running shoes and dashes really fast for a second to bowl over enemies. Knocks them back/up.4-7% )

U Tilt: False Swipe(Red punches upward. Minimal upward knockback.3-7% )

D Tilt: Dig(Red crouches(or is already crouching) and punches across the ground. Small forward/upward knockback.2-5% )
F Tilt: Rolling Kick(A kick forward.4-8% )

U Smash: Skull bash(Red jams his head upward to headbutt his enemy straight up.10-20% )

D Smash: Bag Sweep(A sweep attack with Red's back pack. up/back knockback.9-16% )

F Smash: Pack Smack(Red pulls off his pack and swings it in front of him, then quickly replaces it. Strong horizontal knockback.8-20% )

N Air: Jump Kick(Kicks and spins.4-9% )

U Air: Sonic Boom(Red turns upside down and stomps upward.6-12% )

D Air: Sky Attack(Red winds up and punches downward causing him to flip. If Red hits an opponent at the very beginning of the punch, it's a meteor smash.5-9% )

F Air: Aerial Ace(A forward mid-air punch. Knocks the opponent down and forward .6-8% )

B Air: Double Kick(Turns and does a series of two kicks. Low knockback for the first hit, mid knockback for the second one.3-5% each hit )

Stand up attack: Spikes(Red kicks up his feet to attack, then uses them to right himself.2-3% )

Ledge attack 1 (Under 100% damage): Slam (Red pulls himself up into the air then kicks hard, then lands on the stage.2-4% )

Ledge attack 2 (Over 100% damage): Double Edge(Red pulls himself up into a shoulder ramming attack.1-3% )

VII Closing

There's not much else I can say in closing. I just hope that you'll at least take what's been said here into consideration while you finish up the roster for Super Smash Bros Brawl.

As a final note, though, please do not turn Red into the anime character. Despite what it may seem, they are not the same person, and though it may seem that putting the anime character in would please many fans, that character is actually incredibly hated in the US, and his inclusion would bring about a negative feeling about the game. Please base him on the game art for Pokémon Red or Pokémon FireRed.

If you have something to add, or see an error, just notify me and I’ll see what I can do with it. Well, that’s it. Happy voting.
And for fun, a Moveset, also from the aforementioned Red thread.

myself said:
Why do you assume he would use the pokemon's strongest forms outside of his super move?

How about instead of just having one move to summon a pokemon, all four of his moves summons a different pokemon.

^B - FLY - summons a bird (Lets say Pidgey or one of it's evolutions, since he is the first bird you meet) to fly him upwards. I know this is cliche and everyone does it, but thats because it's the logical move for this slot. In my vision, there is a downstroke that the bird performs. After flying you upwards (without damaging the opponent) he drops you (hopefully to safety) and flies, like a projectile diagonally towards the stage. Thats when he would do damage.

Neutral B - Best Friend - Summons one of the three starters at random (But only the unevolved forms). Red summons the pokemon by quickly tossing a pokeball (which, if it hits an enemy, will do Extremely weak physical damage, like Fox-laser damage, then bounce off and hit the ground). When the pokemon hits the ground, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, or Charmander will appear there. Once the pokemon is summoned, Red can then be controlled normally, and can run away to safety while his 'mon does the work. He cannot summon another starter pokemon until The starter is called back (which happens automatically after the pokemon's attack is done). He can still use FLY.

Blubasaur - uses Vine Whip which sends out two vines forewards and slightly diagonally up a set distance. the opponent has the chance to be caught by the vines if he stands too close to bulbasaur as he is firing the vines, similar to getting caught by Bowser's >B. "Caught" players are simply held for a few seconds, vulnerable, until Bulbasaur goes away.

Charmander - Uses Ember. This entails slapping his tail on the ground in front of him, and sending small fire-sparks along the ground, which are deceptively damaging, and slightly hard to see, but have little real knockback.

Squirtle - Uses Water gun. This entails firing a single, straight jet of water from his mouth. which has a fair bit of knockback, but little real damage.

>B - STRENGTH - Summons a Machop, or one of it's evolved forms. the same pokeball drill happens, as happens with the "Best friend" move. low damage pokeball. when it hits Ground, Machop appears. He will then charge forewards. Understandable, if he comes in contact with an enemy, he will deliver a physical attack and disappear. This has fair knockback, and pretty good damage, and might be a good KO move if you can use it well, but would also be a move to make your opponent jump out of the way and set him up for another attack.

VB - I sort of can't decide which move to put here, but I thought of a couple.

DIG - Summons a diglet, in the usual way. The Diglet will then dig downwards, then surface on another part of the arena, and throw damaging dirt clots every which way in a wide arc around itself for a few moments. Understandably much better on smaller stages, since Diglet comes up in random solid places. Also, if he is summoned on too-thin terrain to dig through, he will fall through and begin digging on the first solid terrain he encounters.

PAYDAY - Meowth (If you can stomach him being a move and not being a character) is summoned in the same way Pidgey is, meaning instantly. Red is also uncontrollable during this move, as he stands begind Meowth, cheering him on. Meowth sends coins flying in both directions. the move prolongs if you tap the B button, like DK's VB. The coins keep people from rushing in on you on the ground, and deflect (not reflect) physical projectiles, Energy projectiles, however, will cut straight through.

Super - Evolution!
This randomly summons the highest evolved forms of one of Red's starters. Meaning that Venusaur will send razor leaves flying round the arena, Charizard will fly upwards and send a fire blast into the arena, Blastoise will use Hydro Pump to summon jets of water screaming out of the ground.

OR

Super - Legendary!
This summons the three original legendary bird pokemon (Zapdos, Arcticuno, Moltres) to do an elemental tag-team attack on the stage.

There, special moves which don't seem too cheap, (they might be annoying though. On the other hand, I like annoying, I play Peach.) where he summons pokemon to do his dirty work.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
how do you send stuff to sakurai? do you have his email address or something?
anyway, i dont like the idea of any trainers as SSB characters. just because there isnt any in the game doesnt mean there needs to be. pokemon is one of the only franchises that can provide completely unique characters. putting in a human like red would be a waste if you ask me. we could get humans from other games. putting in a trainer would waste space for a pokemon that could be unique. i qouldnt mind if red got in, but I'd rather have a pokemon. besides, i cant really see a moveset in this guy. why have a character that summons creatures when you can just have the creature with more unique moves?

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
how do you send stuff to sakurai? do you have his email address or something?
anyway, i dont like the idea of any trainers as SSB characters. just because there isnt any in the game doesnt mean there needs to be. pokemon is one of the only franchises that can provide completely unique characters. putting in a human like red would be a waste if you ask me. we could get humans from other games. putting in a trainer would waste space for a pokemon that could be unique. i qouldnt mind if red got in, but I'd rather have a pokemon. besides, i cant really see a moveset in this guy. why have a character that summons creatures when you can just have the creature with more unique moves?
Well said bro, well said.

Stryks

Smash Hero
No trainers 4 brawl, take notice if they add red, that will be unfair to the trainer of gold/silver, ruby/saphire, and diamond/pearl (its diamond and pearl rite??), not to mention the other game pokemon ranger, and thus unfair 4 the girls that want the female trainer in brawl, they can keep pikachu and mewtwo, add lucario, deoxys, hell why not a cute pkmn in there and someone form pearl/diamond, and u got a good brawl roster... we dont need trainers from the pkmn series, seriously the last thing I want to see is red, or, in other words, ash from the series...

I was seeing ur moveset, the bike thing seems odd, seeing how the bike will be almost his size, appearing and disappearing out of nowhere would just look odd, sure fox did it with his gun in melee, and link with his bow and bombs and stuff, but this is a bike! those were just small-medium size weapons...

Mewtwo wa schosen cause he is considered the most powerful pkmn, not to mention sakurai wanted to add him since the 1st smash, sure he was a disgrace, but can be fixed, and I understand about the trainers, but its just a tad farfetch'd, I know he has appeared more than once, I know will people will recognize him (cause of the series), but seriously the pokeball thing idea would just seem to borken, u capture him, and u can grab the ball and throw him off the stage, yeah but what about somone with a bad recovery, like luigi, he can jump yes, but his upB goes stright up at 90 degrees, and thus will probably fall to his death...

IMO, red has a oor chance being in brawl, give me all the info of him, tell me how important he is from other trainers, my point is, its hard to c it possible, and hell, even if u deny it, dark samus has a WAY better chance...

DaFlameking

Smash Cadet
I like the idea of Red coming to Brawl (not because i was an old poke fan) but a trainer of some sort needs some action time. They gave Luigi and Wario action time and they barely do anything. yet Luigi doesnt have the moves (like the vacuum) in Luigi Mansion in Melee or the first Smash Bros.

If they make a moveset for him to be completely equal to the game, it would work.

you know if they built him with down tilts (like c.falcon)

and up + b - he throws pokeballs and aims like yoshi's egg throw

it could work

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
If they do add a trainer (which I hope not) their moves should be based off the HM in the game of pokemon.

Up B Fly

B strengh

B side Cut

Down b Surf

It sticks with the pokemon gameplay and can work out good for the trainer.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
No trainers 4 brawl, take notice if they add red, that will be unfair to the trainer of gold/silver, ruby/saphire, and diamond/pearl (its diamond and pearl rite??), not to mention the other game pokemon ranger, and thus unfair 4 the girls that want the female trainer in brawl, they can keep pikachu and mewtwo, add lucario, deoxys, hell why not a cute pkmn in there and someone form pearl/diamond, and u got a good brawl roster... we dont need trainers from the pkmn series, seriously the last thing I want to see is red, or, in other words, ash from the series...

I was seeing ur moveset, the bike thing seems odd, seeing how the bike will be almost his size, appearing and disappearing out of nowhere would just look odd, sure fox did it with his gun in melee, and link with his bow and bombs and stuff, but this is a bike! those were just small-medium size weapons...

Mewtwo wa schosen cause he is considered the most powerful pkmn, not to mention sakurai wanted to add him since the 1st smash, sure he was a disgrace, but can be fixed, and I understand about the trainers, but its just a tad farfetch'd, I know he has appeared more than once, I know will people will recognize him (cause of the series), but seriously the pokeball thing idea would just seem to borken, u capture him, and u can grab the ball and throw him off the stage, yeah but what about somone with a bad recovery, like luigi, he can jump yes, but his upB goes stright up at 90 degrees, and thus will probably fall to his death...

IMO, red has a oor chance being in brawl, give me all the info of him, tell me how important he is from other trainers, my point is, its hard to c it possible, and hell, even if u deny it, dark samus has a WAY better chance...
Keep in mind that this is a video game, and as such we are allowed to play fast and loose with physics. Already Snake pulls out a Cardboard box bigger than he is and also a rocket launcher and doesn't seem to have any pockets large enough to hold them.

Also, That moveset you're referencing was talked about in much the same way, and I don't quite agree with all of it's points, which is why I included my own moveset undernieth the first quote.

Also, To give you all the info on him would be to say the same thing all over again. Diod you just skip to the moveset or what? All the info on Red you could ever want is in that Quote I posted about 2 or 3 posts above yours.

II Red as a character

By now, you know who this is for, Red. But from my support of Red in the past, it has come to my attention that many do not know much about Red, or even that he exists, not that you are necessarily in this category, of course. If you already know who Red is, feel free to skip this section, but if not, I've compiled a lot of information on Red for you.
Red is an eleven year old boy living in Pallet Town, in the Kanto Region of the pokémon world. Red and his neighbor, Blue, were childhood friends, but that all ended as they got older. Blue became a bully, and their friendship became a rivalry. One day, Red was told by his mother that Professor Oak, one of the leading researchers on pokémon and Blue's grandfather, had called for him to visit his lab. After a bit of mishap looking for Oak, he found Blue in the lab as well, and Oak told them each to choose a pokémon, and later gave them each a pokédex and a mission, to complete it by gathering info on every pokémon in the world.

From here, Red goes on an adventure with his pokémon team that spans all of Kanto. He traveled to every Gym and defeated the leaders to get the skills he needed to continue on his quest, and clashed many times with the evil Team Rocket. Of course, Blue managed to stay one step ahead of Red through out his entire adventure, but Red finally caught up at the Indigo Plateau, after defeating Giovanni in the Viridian City Gym and foiling Team Rocket's world domination schemes for good. Red defeated each member of the Elite Four, only to find Blue waiting as his final challenge. In the final conflict, Red is the victor and becomes the new League Champion. Red did not stay, however, but continued on his quest to continue the Pokédex, and was later admitted to Mount Silver, where he trains constantly with his team, silently defeating any challenger who should come to fight him.

And that's Red in a nutshell. I hope you'll take this and the rest into consideration for him.

III Reasons

1 There has yet to be a trainer in Super Smash Bros. This may seem thus, that it should not be done because it would be too difficult, but a trainer could be a very unique character. Using a trainer would lead to a unique moveset using either the trainer's team of pokémon or the items that the trainer uses to catch and control the pokémon.

2 Trainers, despite everything, are an incredibly important character to the pokémon series. Trainers deserve a representative in Super Smash Bros, because without them, the pokémon series wouldn't be what it is today. Trainers drive the stories of the pokémon games and almost every significant character in the pokémon series is a trainer.

3 There are, really, very few significant pokémon with actual reason to represent the series. Pikachu and Jigglypuff, for example, I'm sure they were picked for their popularity, Pichu was picked as an easy clone character I'd assume, and I'm not sure of why Mewtwo was picked. The point is, the popular, iconic pokémon have already been used. Why not leave that new pokémon character slot to someone with business representing the series?

4 There are two distinct goals in the pokémon series, one is battling to become the best trainer, and that's what the pokémon in the game represent. The other aspect of the game, the catching portion of the game, can't be represented by pokémon. The pokémon aren't the one's catching pokémon and filling the pokédex, trainers are.

5 On the other side of that, trainers would make excellent representatives of the catching aspect of the game. The trainers have all of their pokémon capturing equipment that could be integrated into the moveset, and their presence alongside pokémon in the game would remind people of this part of the game. The pokémon series currently has five things representing it; four pokémon and one item, none of which relate to the second goal of the game.

6 Red is unique among trainer choices from the pokémon series because, among other things, he is a protagonist. Furthermore, Red is the first protagonist of the series, making him a good choice for a pokémon protagonist in Super Smash Bros. Pokémon is the only series represented in Super Smash Bros currently which does not have a protagonist as a playable character. Red would fit well into the role as the first protagonist in the series.

7 Unique about Red among the protagonists, however, is the fact that Red is the only protagonist to make additional appearances beyond his debut. Red made an appearance as an enemy trainer in Pokémon GSC and in Pokémon Stadium 2. Red is also the only character to be playable in more than one generation, with his game's remakes in Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen.

8 Not only that, but Red has appeared in every generation of the games so far, thus making him recognizable to pokémon vets and those who are new to the series. Unlike other trainers, who've made appearances in only one generation, Red can be recognized by almost anyone who's ever played a pokémon game. Red, Blue and Lance are tied as the three significant characters with the most appearances.

9 In his appearances in Pokémon GSC and Pokémon Stadium 2, Red became notable as the most powerful trainer to ever appear in the series. Not only was Red's team in pokémon GSC the strongest any trainer in the series has ever had, but in pokémon Stadium 2, he used several rare and "legendary" pokémon, something opponents in the games don't typically do. Red's team is the best around, and he's the best equipped trainer to fight in Super Smash Bros.

Also, no fair bringing an argument from another thread in here. This is the thread for Red and other pokemon trainers, not Dark Samus.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
I'll say this. IF a trainer does get into brawl, it should be Red. Not Ash, Brock, Misty, or any other of the myriad show-based characters. Red is the only one central to the games (Main character in red/blue, final boss of gold/silver).

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah I pretty much understood that, still it wouldnt be fair 4 female pokemon players, if red makes it in, if there a way the "trainer" can have the same moves but can also be a female trainer by switching colors, then I guess it wouldnt be as bad, I know trainers make a big role in pkmn games, yes, I just wouldnt like red (I would HATE him if he turned out to be Ash...), and about the bike thing, I still c it to be a little farfetche'd...

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I suppose, but you have to remember that Red is the most important of the 8 trainers from the main games, as he is the only one to have an important role in more than one Pokemon game, AND he is the model on which Ash is based. That, and he is the only Pokemon trainer in the Pokemon Canon to be playable, and then become a boss-character in the next game. AND he (and his female counterpart, Leaf) is the only character to be actually attributed a name within the actual pokemon canon. Every other character who can be named was either named after the anime or manga, or had to be given their name after the color of the game they represent. Red was fully nameable in R/B/Y, and then showed up again in G/S/C and was named Red.

I don't see why Red is any less deserving of being in over the others, seeing as he is simply more important than the others, especially since the original games didn't even have a female counterpart option. I suppose it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to include other trainers as alternate costumes, most easily the rivals, Gold, and the new guy from D/P(Pokeball Ocelot), and maybe even Leaf, since she's not too different. The thing is, they would all be under Red, as he is simply the most important and well-known of the Pokemon heroes.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah, but now that I think about it, havin a trainer 4 every color, like red for red (lol), leaf for green, gold for yello (gold-like color) and so on, IMO would be kinda cool, anyway Im still not saying I want him in, its just a matter that I dont like red/ash... and dont want to c him in brawl XD... its IMO by the way...

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Since there is a problem with red why not let it be a pokemon trainer with every single look from red/blue version to pearl/diamond.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
first of all i prefer Ash. Red is a dumb name and yeah he represents the game and all that stuff but make his name be Ash please. who names their kid Red anyway?? seriously red
( the name) is way too generic. give him a bunch of stuff from the games but give him a name Ash, and there you go. i think the pokemon that made it into the SSB series were based on the show anyway. Pikachu's popularity was because of the show. i sure dont remember Pikachu being such a great powerful pokemon in the game. same for jigglypuff. and Mewtwo based on the first movie. Pichu a quick clone for Pikachu. i heard it was popular in Japan at the time. so there you go. none of them because of the games so why should his name be red? Ash is important in the series with the whole i want to be the ultimate trainer thing. and i'd much rather prefer him being in than red. i guess to please the female audience let the outfit change to misty or something. i mean the girl did get a trophy in melee.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Since there is a problem with red why not let it be a pokemon trainer with every single look from red/blue version to pearl/diamond.
There's not really any problem with red, his image was just tainted by the anime version. If it's really that much of a problem, you should really go download the Pokemon Manga (The one starring "red," not "ash") It's pretty awesome. Though it would be fun to play as Pokeball Ocelot(D/P male hero) in Brawl, the trend would suggest that Red get in first, since he is the first.

first of all i prefer Ash. Red is a dumb name and yeah he represents the game and all that stuff but make his name be Ash please. who names their kid Red anyway?? seriously red
( the name) is way too generic. give him a bunch of stuff from the games but give him a name Ash, and there you go. i think the pokemon that made it into the SSB series were based on the show anyway. Pikachu's popularity was because of the show. i sure dont remember Pikachu being such a great powerful pokemon in the game. same for jigglypuff. and Mewtwo based on the first movie. Pichu a quick clone for Pikachu. i heard it was popular in Japan at the time. so there you go. none of them because of the games so why should his name be red? Ash is important in the series with the whole i want to be the ultimate trainer thing. and i'd much rather prefer him being in than red. i guess to please the female audience let the outfit change to misty or something. i mean the girl did get a trophy in melee.
You should play Gold and Silver again. That game made it canon that his name is Red, and the games usually take precedence over other sources.

Top Bottom