• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Stadium 2: Full Analysis, Gameplay Implications, and a really fair stage

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Most matches here to go SV, because most people are bad in other stages >_>
But yeah I like it because MK ***** on SV. Oh and the wind stage is legit. It's sort of like really defensive at first and when things get going, it's really aggressive. And anyone saying MK ***** on air transformation must main the 3 or so characters who got crappies mobility than him.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Whoa.

I don't see that as insta-ban material, but nonevertheless, it does seem to hurt the stage when it comes to the claim of it being a balanced stage. Admittedly, Yoshi won't be there very long. I could see this being possible for any character with a stall and fall that goes straight down, as I believe Yoshi is going through a gap in the collision data. I'd check with BrawlBox, but the Stadiums are a mess when you view them with it.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
Whoa.

I don't see that as insta-ban material, but nonevertheless, it does seem to hurt the stage when it comes to the claim of it being a balanced stage. Admittedly, Yoshi won't be there very long. I could see this being possible for any character with a stall and fall that goes straight down, as I believe Yoshi is going through a gap in the collision data. I'd check with BrawlBox, but the Stadiums are a mess when you view them with it.
Really, Yoshi has been up and down these past couple weeks. I still love the guy though.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Toon Link isn't cripplingly bad though. In addition, if diagonal stall and falls can enter, that opens it up to ZSS. Also, perhaps Falco can make it in by Up-Bing downwards, or does he not travel fast enough?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Seeing as that part of the stage hands out 2 already good camping spots, no one is likely to fight there anyway. If GnW could get in there though....

He already has some pretty cool tricks here on every other trasnformation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxm2POQnJLg

Then again it might have something to do with Yoshi's hurtbox shrinking during his dive.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Being inside the rock is exactly like the being behind the tree in fire mode of PS1. People can reach you inside the rock, but they really won't try as it's better to just wait the 40 or so seconds. Not a problem at all.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Plus it looks like the spacing to get in is specific, I don't think people are going to sit by and set someone set this up if they can stop this.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
He cant even throw eggs out either unless you aim for one specific spot on the map.

Steam

Smash Hero
I think a potential issue of this stage is that timeouts will be too easy to get assuming there is a LGL...

having 1-2 minutes on the Electic stage are 1-2 minutes MK won't have to plank the ledge. The Ground stage is sorta like this to a lesser extent.

Also Lucario Dair stall is cool on the Air stage :3

NNID
Budget_Player
It isn't but this stage might be too strong for planking :/
Even with LGLs? After all, let's compare...
On PS2:
-Ice, theorized to stop combat, NEVER happens in practice
-Air, theorized to stop combat, happens occasionally in practice
-Ground, theorized to stop combat, rarely happens in practice
-Electric, theorized to stop combat, happens occasionally in practice

On PS1:
-Rock, consistently stops combat
-Fire, ALWAYS stops combat in high-level play
-Grass, fine
-Water, theorized to stop combat, occasionally/rarely happens in practice

Seriously, even though I'll gladly admit that PS2 does help stalling somewhat, to claim that it is broken because of that, especially when PS1, RC, and SV (dat scrooging) are legal, is kinda silly. Gameplay certainly doesn't devolve into camping ridiculously hard (especially not during the "neutral" transformation), neither in theory nor in practice.

Steam

Smash Hero
SV is eh.

I've always thought Lylat > PS1 as a neutral :/

It was just a specific issue though, most cases this stage is fine.

the Ice stage actually adds a lot of depth in approaching and spacing with sliding forwards/backwards while attacking.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
That is bad logic. The stage is good for planking because you don't need the ledge? Lol

Tesh

Smash Hero
You aren't really that dense are you LzR? Stop attacking the way he worded it. He just means that because of how easy it is to stall because of the trasnformations, you don't have to use up your ledge grabs as quickly. Thus you can waste more time than on another stage.

However we pretty much have the same issue with Delfino and PS1 anyway. Some of the transformations are extremely difficult to approach and fight on so people just wait. No big deal. I would probably count that as a more CP quality though in a 5 stage starter list.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
This stage is really a great starter thought. And if FD is a starter then this should be too.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i read the title on the main page "Pokemon Stadium 2: Full..." and the first thing i immediately thought of was the game Pokemon Stadium 2, for the Nintendo 64, released in 2001.

also LzR you have terrible reasoning. judge the stage on its own merits, not on FD's (which is completely different than PS2 by the way)

Nicole

Smash Champion
you know sometimes i like to read the stage discussion threads when i'm bored, because i usually get some sort of entertainment out of them either from trolls or from the initial argument by the person who wants the stage legal.

what i want to know, is what is the point of arguing for these stages? say ps2 gets unbanned. maybe one or two matches each tournament will take place on ps2. big deal! who cares? the player who wins on the neutral typically wins the set and the cp doesn't even matter anyways. what character would pick this stage as a cp over ANY OTHER STAGE? who does it even help?

what legit, high tier char, is going to pick this level? who NEEDS this to be legal as a cp?

(personally i think this stage is ******** and should be banned, but i could care less if it becomes legal, because what matters is the neutral and my cp. i would never argue against allowing any stage because i simply don't see these ridiculous stages as mattering in the grand scheme of a tournament.)

Tesh

Smash Hero
This stage doesn't need to be "unbanned". Its not banned to begin with and all of the 2011 major nationals are using it. I could imagine SOMEONE might cp here for a 3/5 set. Or going here in a 7 stage starter system.

NNID
Budget_Player
you know sometimes i like to read the stage discussion threads when i'm bored, because i usually get some sort of entertainment out of them either from trolls or from the initial argument by the person who wants the stage legal.

what i want to know, is what is the point of arguing for these stages? say ps2 gets unbanned. maybe one or two matches each tournament will take place on ps2. big deal! who cares? the player who wins on the neutral typically wins the set and the cp doesn't even matter anyways. what character would pick this stage as a cp over ANY OTHER STAGE? who does it even help?

what legit, high tier char, is going to pick this level? who NEEDS this to be legal as a cp?

(personally i think this stage is ******** and should be banned, but i could care less if it becomes legal, because what matters is the neutral and my cp. i would never argue against allowing any stage because i simply don't see these ridiculous stages as mattering in the grand scheme of a tournament.)
Ok, first of all, you know what the main goal is? It's not getting PS2 legal. It's destroying this mindset: "I think it's ******** and should be banned for no other reason than me not liking it".

Second of all, PS2 should not only be legal, but a starter. I hope that's been made fairly clear. The whole point of this thread is to inform various people that the stage is legit; to tell TOs information that they're missing and get players to tell their TOs to legalize it. Why should PS2 be banned in your opinion? What makes the stage less legitimate than PS1 or Smashville?

Thirdly, who cares about the high tiers? They have their counterpicks. What about Lucas, Yoshi, Sheik... The chars who like this stage and don't necessarily have that many better counterpicks. At the last german tournament, Make Some neuss (80 entrants, very big deal in europe) PS2 was my go-to counterpick because people flat-out did not know the stage (plus, RC was not legal). I played a snake in brackets and he literally banned PS2 instead of Brinstar against me. No ****! I had similar experiences throughout the tournament. If you don't see why this is a good thing...

I was winning because people did not know how to deal with a legitimate gameplay element. It's akin to, say, losing to a Sheik, or a Lucas because you've never played the matchup before. It spurns players to continue to improve, and simply know more about the game. When you ban this stage, you lose that added depth and skill requirement in favor of? With a stage like PTAD I could understand that you lose that added depth in favor of higher character viability (it can be very polarizing in several matchups). With PS2, you lose that depth in favor of... not having that depth. There's literally no real upside to doing this beyond "the players don't like it".

Seriously, what's your argument? "This isn't worth discussing because it makes no difference"? It damn well does make a difference, especially for disenfranchised players like myself who love the stage, will counterpick you to the stage quite often, who have the arguments and data supporting the stage not only as a legal stage but as one of the most fair and balanced starters in the entire game, but still have to see it banned in most tournaments. The more TOs actually look at this and say "Hey, you know, this makes sense!", the better off we are.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm disappointed, Nicole.

Almost nobody CPs Castle Siege, should we ban that too?

The argument was to legalize it as a starter, and you yourself proved why. Nobody NEEDS this stage. Nobody really counterpicks it. That PROBABLY means it's because it's a damn fair stage, where few characters have any innate advantages.

Doesn't that sound a lot like starter material? Moreso than FD, which many characters counterpick?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Nicoles post sounds exactly like the usual case in internet arguments. If you can't prove it wrong or right, you stop don't care anymore. We should ban YI because I don't care if it's legal or not. IMO this stage is THE MOST FAIR AND EVEN STAGE OVERALL. I can't see a char who is bad or good on this stage if not MU dependant.

Nicole

Smash Champion
I'm kinda shocked about Nicoles Post. D:
I'm disappointed, Nicole.
O
RAGE
Seriously, what's your argument?
Wow. I'll just lurk here from now on...as usual. I'm glad you guys feel so strongly about everything, it's good to have conviction.

I wasn't arguing. I just wanted to know if you guys thought you had a purpose and a point to YOUR arguing. My argument was a question.

idc about legalizing/banning any stage, like I said before I'll never argue to ban anything. And there can be 24 starters for all I care, I'm gonna strike all the ones I can that I don't like (ps2 would be one of them). I could care less if Ps2 was a starter in my region, I think it is already a cp a fair amount of the time.

Sorry if I asked in a disrespectful way, i just dont see you guys make alot of headway with these stage discussions in the community and I was curious why you bothered. Trust me the last thing I want to do is get into an argument with you stage enthusiasts...

-LzR-

Smash Hero
All right I don't care if FD is always a starter as I will always strike and ban it so I don't give a **** wtf.
This argument was mah question boi!

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
@Nicole: welcome to the reason why I've more or less stopped posting in the stage discussion. You know it's getting bad if I hesitate to post. And I tend to post whatever I feel like posting, even if I don't know much about the subject. >_>

PS2 should be a neutral, but it won't ever happen because EC would choke on the idea. That is all.

NNID
Budget_Player
Wow. I'll just lurk here from now on...as usual. I'm glad you guys feel so strongly about everything, it's good to have conviction.

I wasn't arguing. I just wanted to know if you guys thought you had a purpose and a point to YOUR arguing. My argument was a question.

idc about legalizing/banning any stage, like I said before I'll never argue to ban anything. And there can be 24 starters for all I care, I'm gonna strike all the ones I can that I don't like (ps2 would be one of them). I could care less if Ps2 was a starter in my region, I think it is already a cp a fair amount of the time.

Sorry if I asked in a disrespectful way, i just dont see you guys make alot of headway with these stage discussions in the community and I was curious why you bothered. Trust me the last thing I want to do is get into an argument with you stage enthusiasts...
I'm sorry. I misinterpreted your question as the kind of statement we get around here all the time-a bad attempt at trolling us. We get a lot of posts like that from people where we can clearly tell that they simply don't care what we post, and it gets very upsetting after a while.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Who gives a **** about stuff like EC it's not the point here. This topic has served it's purpose and is successful as it changed my view on the stage and has affected our stagelist

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yeah but the rest of europe denies the stage for no reason :( oh wait the reason is stuff like "I would rather have Mushroom Kingdom allowed because at least it doesn't effect my fall speed" lol

NNID
Budget_Player
Yeah but the rest of europe denies the stage for no reason :( oh wait the reason is stuff like "I would rather have Mushroom Kingdom allowed because at least it doesn't effect my fall speed" lol
Yeah, it's pretty stupid. We should to try to push germany in the right direction, and Make Some Neuss was a good start (even if its stagelist was worse than most american ones...). People are just starting to get that it's okay. And then you have the morons who still think like this:

I don't like this stage.

It should be banned.

Top Bottom