• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon General Discussion

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Beartic was bad for reasons other than just being Ice-type. Its base speed was too low even with Swift Swim. It had no movepool. Imagine Beartic with 110 SpAtk instead of Atk, maybe base 70 speed, then give it Thunder.
Interestingly, Beartic's speed goes as high as 436 with Swift Swim, enabling it to outrun most uber legendaries during a heavy rain. Sadly, Rayquaza can mess up Beartic with its Air Lock ability, albeit having a huge weakness to Ice-type attacks.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Interestingly, Beartic's speed goes as high as 436 with Swift Swim, enabling it to outrun most uber legendaries during a heavy rain. Sadly, Rayquaza can mess up Beartic with its Air Lock ability, albeit having a huge weakness to Ice-type attacks.
It's outsped by base 90 Scarfers, which is basically all Scarfers.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's outsped by base 90 Scarfers, which is basically all Scarfers.
At least Huntail and Gorebyss can get Shell Smash to boost their speed even further. Of course, this is pretty much redundant when you have faster Pokemon being able to annihilate the slower sweepers in an instant.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Is there a friend code exchange thread cause i need friends for friend safari
We just started adding them to our WiFi Center thread today. There's a list in the OP of the thread. Just post your FC and we (at least most of us) will get around to adding you.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I bought a used copy of Platinum this week. I booted it up, and not too surprisingly there was a save file belonging to the previous owner (Benjamin). About 20 hours in, all 8 gym badges, the thought of poor little Benjamin selling his game after all that work made me feel somewhat sad. That melancholy however evaporated very fast when I realised Benjamin was a hacking little ****. 100% completed Pokedex, a level 99 Arceus; Infernape; Giratina; Dialga; Regirock; Registeel; and all three members of each evolution line of each of the Kanto starters. Best of all however, 90 copies of each TM in the game. Result! I know hacking is bad, but now I've got access to as many of any TM I want meaning I don't have to go through the bull**** you need to go through to get certain TMs such as Thunder Wave and Swords Dance, the latter of which my Soul Silver Heracross is now equipped with. The downside is that I've had to buy another copy of Platinum, since that copy has too much of a treasure trove to delete, which was previously owned by 'Kieran' who isn't a hacking little ****.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm doing the gen 1 way of making money post game

Fighting the elite 4 over and over

I also am leveling a clawitzer to breed with my blastoise to get aura sphere

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, I was getting more than $170 K from Elite 4

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
E4 takes like twice as long as Restaurant Le Wow and gets like 230k a trip (you spend 100k though). Idk where you're getting like 50-70k from... maybe doing the battles really bad? getting perfect turns gets you more shrooms and more money.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
E4 takes like twice as long as Restaurant Le Wow and gets like 230k a trip (you spend 100k though). Idk where you're getting like 50-70k from... maybe doing the battles really bad? getting perfect turns gets you more shrooms and more money.
I forgot the money for winning battles. I was saying the net gain of 50-70k cause 24-25 mushrooms is 150-160k and the meal is 90-100k

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Battle Chateau is indeed the best investment out of all of them. I've been getting Writs of Invitation/Challenge since pre-E4, and I've been loaded since. Unfortunately all that money disappears the moment some boutique has new clothing, or I want to do something stupid like spend 100,000 to spend the night at Hotel Richissime or 450,000 to get into Sushi High Roller.

Also always tip at least 1,000.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I went through it 5 times and got 650k. That's 230k each, with 500k spent (or 130k each)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I literally spent all of my money at +500k 3 times today, and still managed to earn 1 million from the Chateau.

The Amulet Coin + people constantly sending you Prize Money Power takes like no effort whatsoever.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Restaurant Le Wow with the Amulet Coin is great for getting money as well. Once you sell the mushrooms, you'll more than break even each visit.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just saw stone edge for the first time in this game.

For the first time, I actually FEEL it's hitting hard!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's too bad that Stone Edge is still an indirect attack, which means that Aerodactyl's list of physical contact Rock-type attacks is still non-existent. This pretty much means that only Mega Aerodactyl's Flying-type attacks can get STAB and the Tough Claws boost.

Overall, it seems that Mega Charizard X gets better use out of Tough Claws, especially once you're able to transfer your Charizard from the 5th generation titles onto the X or Y versions; a Tough Claws boosted Flare Blitz and Outrage can prove to be quite lethal, especially with the former attack being added coverage against the new Fairy-type.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Corocoro just revealed two promotional 3DS XL's to coincide with the release of Battle Trozei. One's white and one's black, but they have different kinds of trozei decals on each.

I have to say, I am completely sold on the black one. Anyone else planning to get one if they see international release?

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
It's too bad that Stone Edge is still an indirect attack, which means that Aerodactyl's list of physical contact Rock-type attacks is still non-existent. This pretty much means that only Mega Aerodactyl's Flying-type attacks can get STAB and the Tough Claws boost.

Overall, it seems that Mega Charizard X gets better use out of Tough Claws, especially once you're able to transfer your Charizard from the 5th generation titles onto the X or Y versions; a Tough Claws boosted Flare Blitz and Outrage can prove to be quite lethal, especially with the former attack being added coverage against the new Fairy-type.
The question is why Aerodactyl has no Head Smash? Base 150 and boosted by STAB and Tough Claws?
While I admit that Mega-Charizard X is substantially better, especially with PokeAim's TankZard set, Mega-Aerodactyl is the Mega-Pinsir of UU, a fast revenge killer that Glass-Cannon's the foes into submission.
I use Mega-Aero when the opponent throws out something that looks like it'll wall my team. It's especially good if I take out their revenge killer (like Victini or something) or the 1 turn switchout I get up Rocks, or a Hone Claws. and then I'll throw out Stone Edges, but not before then-- it isn't worth the chance.

I expect (or at least hope) to see an event Mega-Aero with Head Smash at some point. It would make use of its Rock Head ability and be amazing in every way.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The only problem with Head Smash is its severe recoil damage penalty. Aerodactyl has Rock Head, but not Mega Aerodactyl, so Mega Aerodactyl's longevity would be drastically shortened by Head Smash.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Aerodactyl wouldn't even need to go Mega if it had Head Smash/Brave Bird.
Add more damage, make it a trade pokemon, and if that were the case, why use Flare Blitz, or Brave Bird ever? It always hurts, and who cares that it would shorten longevity? Aerodactyl's position would shift and that wouldn't be its goal anymore. It would have different potential

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I don't think you understand the difference Rock Head + 120+ STAB moves makes. Short of Super-Effective priority/Choice Scarf revenge killers, and incredibly bulky Steel types, very few things would stay in, and even fewer could switch in safely, especially if it's holding a Choice Band.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Yeah Banded Aero would be way better than Mega Aero if it got Head Smash.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 189-223 (56.5 - 66.7%)
252 Atk Choice Band Aerodactyl Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 181-214 (54.1 - 64%)

The damage output is about the same (I suppose you could run adamant Mega Aero, though), but you have none of the nasty recoil. Unlike other recoil moves, Head Smash has a huge 50% recoil, and you just can't afford to take that kind of recoil damage on a mon already weak to SR and very vulnerable to priority.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Add more damage, make it a trade pokemon, and if that were the case, why use Flare Blitz, or Brave Bird ever? It always hurts, and who cares that it would shorten longevity? Aerodactyl's position would shift and that wouldn't be its goal anymore. It would have different potential
The recoil damage is less severe with Flare Blitz, Brave Bird, Wood Hammer, and Double-Edge, only being 1/3 the damage that the target received.

Head Smash's recoil damage is 1/2 the damage the target received, which means that hitting a Blissey with Head Smash is almost certain to be suicide for the attacker.

Interestingly, Head Charge deals the same amount of damage as Double-Edge, but only 1/4 of its damage is recoil damage. Sadly, only Bouffalant can learn that attack.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Banded Aero would be way better than Mega Aero if it got Head Smash.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 189-223 (56.5 - 66.7%)
252 Atk Choice Band Aerodactyl Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 181-214 (54.1 - 64%)

The damage output is about the same (I suppose you could run adamant Mega Aero, though), but you have none of the nasty recoil. Unlike other recoil moves, Head Smash has a huge 50% recoil, and you just can't afford to take that kind of recoil damage on a mon already weak to SR and very vulnerable to priority.
Agreed, but it would just change what you would do. I'm saying it would be a cool idea. Besides, on Mega-Aerodactyl, you'd have the option to use multiple attacks, and save Head Smash until you're at low HP, where it wouldn't matter anyways. Then, along with Earthquake, it has nearly flawless coverage.

I don't think you understand the difference Rock Head + 120+ STAB moves makes. Short of Super-Effective priority/Choice Scarf revenge killers, and incredibly bulky Steel types, very few things would stay in, and even fewer could switch in safely, especially if it's holding a Choice Band.
Me? I'm fully aware of what it does. I've used it in Hackmons and such.

Look, it doesn't have Head Smash, so the argument is mute. I'm saying, if it did, it would make Mega-Aero exponentially more useful, as well as Choice Band Rock Head Aerodactyl.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Actually if Aero got head smash it'd make Mega Aero useless, kind of like how Magic Guard on Alakazam makes Mega Alakazam useless.

There would never be any reason to ever run Mega Aero, ever. Head Smash without Recoil is such an incredible move on its own that you would never have any reason not to use it. I'm saying it's so good you could use a banded Mega Aero with ONLY Head Smash, not even giving it 3 other moves to work with, and you'd suffer no ill effects. Mega Aero only gains in advantage in being able to switch moves, which is completely negated by the fact that Band Aero using Head Smash is better than anything Mega Aero could possibly accomplish. You're much better off running Band Aero + another Mega than running Mega Aero too, since Band Aero can soften up or outright kill walls to allow another Mega to sweep, instead of just having Mega Aero kill itself in its own recoil. There is zero niche is wasting your mega on something that's going to take down 1 or 2 Pokemon and die to recoil while doing so, when normal Aero has practically the same damage output and take down 1-2 things while still being alive afterwards. You severely underestimate how bad the recoil on Head Smash is, the value of a Mega Slot on a team, and greatly overestimate a minescule increase in damage, as well as the ability to switch moves when you could potentially have a move so strong that it hits just as hard or harder resisted than your other neutral or super effective moves can hit.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Actually if Aero got head smash it'd make Mega Aero useless, kind of like how Magic Guard on Alakazam makes Mega Alakazam useless.

There would never be any reason to ever run Mega Aero, ever. Head Smash without Recoil is such an incredible move on its own that you would never have any reason not to use it. I'm saying it's so good you could use a banded Mega Aero with ONLY Head Smash, not even giving it 3 other moves to work with, and you'd suffer no ill effects. Mega Aero only gains in advantage in being able to switch moves, which is completely negated by the fact that Band Aero using Head Smash is better than anything Mega Aero could possibly accomplish. You're much better off running Band Aero + another Mega than running Mega Aero too, since Band Aero can soften up or outright kill walls to allow another Mega to sweep, instead of just having Mega Aero kill itself in its own recoil. There is zero niche is wasting your mega on something that's going to take down 1 or 2 Pokemon and die to recoil while doing so, when normal Aero has practically the same damage output and take down 1-2 things while still being alive afterwards. You severely underestimate how bad the recoil on Head Smash is, the value of a Mega Slot on a team, and greatly overestimate a minescule increase in damage, as well as the ability to switch moves when you could potentially have a move so strong that it hits just as hard or harder resisted than your other neutral or super effective moves can hit.
I don't find Mega-Kazam useless, it just does something different than Alakazam

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
This seems to be your go to argument.

"It's not worse, it's just different."

Well, since doing the same thing but worse is "different" I suppose it is. That still just makes it useless.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't find Mega-Kazam useless, it just does something different than Alakazam
Mega Alakazam is highly reliant on its Trace ability though, and instead of trying to get lucky with a good ability, you could just take advantage of Alakazam's Magic Guard ability by giving it the Life Orb instead.

There are some mega evolutions that are actually usable though, but it sometimes comes down to how the mega evolutions can be utilized.

For one example, Mega Heracross is only really useful for its Skill Link ability offering Pin Missile, Bullet Seed, and Rock Blast 5 hits. Otherwise, you're better off using normal Heracross and its Guts ability (or Moxie, depending on your attack boosting preference). In fact, Jolly Heracross is actually stronger than Adamant Mega Heracross once Guts is activated.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
This seems to be your go to argument.

"It's not worse, it's just different."

Well, since doing the same thing but worse is "different" I suppose it is. That still just makes it useless.
I suppose you're right. I don't use mega-alakazam, because to be honest, I agree with you. But I know people who use it and enjoy it, and I didn't want to deny them. I personally use Mega-Pinsir over everything else in OU. For me, it puts a lot more pressure on opponents than the other mega-evos, and melds a little better with my team. I don't even use Mega-Aero in UU, I use Mega-Amphy if I use a mega-evo at all. I just saw the post about Stone Edge, and wondered if Aero got Head Smash, which it didn't.

I went on and discussed this with some of the people on Smogon Forums, and some of them thought Mega-Aero would be just as good with Head Smash and had some good arguments, and so I transferred the information here. It's a different crowd here, and I forgot that. I didn't mean to offend you as much as I've seen to by your hostility, and I apologize. I'll keep my speculation and ideas for Smogon, and just watch here.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I didn't get any hostility from his posts. I think you just need to learn to agree to disagree.

Mega Alakazam is highly reliant on its Trace ability though, and instead of trying to get lucky with a good ability, you could just take advantage of Alakazam's Magic Guard ability by giving it the Life Orb instead.
No it isn't, lol. It's main advantage is the speed boost (tying with Mega Aerodactyl/only losing to stuff like Deoxys/certain abilities and Choice Scarf'd Pokemon), which gives you the "freedom" of running a Modest nature, which has roughly the same damage output as Timid/Magic Guard + Life Orb regular 'Zam. The ability can have its niche uses, but given that Alakazam doesn't start out as a Mega (meaning you'll have lower speed for a turn/can't switch in with Trace unless you already Mega Evolved earlier, and you lose the benefit of Magic Guard preventing hazard/status effect damage once you have Trace, so switching in/out isn't really a good idea anyway), Trace is otherwise wasted on such a defensively challenged Pokemon. All that speed still doesn't solve priority/Pursuit revenge killers, and at least with Magic Guard preventing hazards from breaking it, Alakazam can take at least one non-multi hit with a Focus Sash, making it much more usable.

I say all of this from using both, btw. I like how shiny Mega 'Zam looks better, so I use it despite it's shortcomings.

There are some mega evolutions that are actually usable though, but it sometimes comes down to how the mega evolutions can be utilized.

For one example, Mega Heracross is only really useful for its Skill Link ability offering Pin Missile, Bullet Seed, and Rock Blast 5 hits. Otherwise, you're better off using normal Heracross and its Guts ability (or Moxie, depending on your attack boosting preference). In fact, Jolly Heracross is actually stronger than Adamant Mega Heracross once Guts is activated.
That specific example is because of a significant ability change, which alongside type changes and overall Base Stat increase outweighing the use of other items/taking up the only Mega Slot on your team, are the main reasons for determining what constitutes a "usable Mega." Things like Mawile, Kangaskhan and Charizard need their Mega formes to be more than barely useful outside of lower tiers. Meanwhile things like Tyranitar and Gyarados are usually better off in their regular formes, with much more useful items (and typing, in Gyarados' case). Others like Gengar, Scizor, Lucario, etc. can function fine with or without them, and depend on your preference (and whether or not they're banned depending on the rules you're using).

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'll keep my speculation and ideas for Smogon, and just watch here.
That's just the way Ulti posts... You get used to it.

Really though Mega Alakazam is ass. Don't use it, especially when there's a lot of better Megas out there you could be using instead.

Last edited:

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915

Since this is a random general Pokemon discussion thread, I figured that I'd post my Pokemon version of "Part of Your World" here. Beedrill is one of my favorite Pokemon. :)

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I just spent the last 5 hours looking for a Chansey on Fire Red just so I could transfer one in a Safari Ball to X...so far they all have fled. >_>

Top Bottom