• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon General Discussion

So how about that Honedge.

How do you guys think Steel's new found nerfs will affect it competitively? I feel it's going to be a big deal since it's obviously physically oriented but probably has low speed, and won't be able to rely on its natural bulk to set up.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Recent replay of me beating one of the top dudes on the ladder with his cute little posse in tow: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-52447799 (me being protectdahouse ofc)

Was hilarious cause he/everyone else though he was such hot **** for that one overpredict on my part. Watching his reaction change from cocky *** hole to "oh **** I'm actually gonna lose" was priceless.

Was a good match regardless.
more proof that seasons is the worst person in the universe

Poor Honedge never even got to feel awesome for half a gen.
Well maybe its speed will be good enough that it'll be viable with choice scarf? But unless it has great special defense and attack its not going to be anywhere near OU with Gengar hanging around.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I don't know if you guys have seen this but Xiivi's running a thing in Forum Games to have people rate Pokemon for each generation and see how the collective population rates them all. I'm kind of curious what will happen there. Although I'm inclined to anticipate a Charizard/Mewtwo/etc. sort of win.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Whew... For a second, I interpreted that^ as rating the generations against one another. That would have been a catastrophe.

It seems interesting, though. I think it's a bit of a shame that each rating submission will take so much effort. That might stop some from participating.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Just wondering, what Mega-evolutions are you guys looking for?

Mine would be either a mega-scizor or a mega-drifblim...

- Mega-Scizor cause scizor is awesome....

- Mega-Drifblim because come on! who doesn't want a Pokemon version of THIS

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I want a Mega Porygon-Z that's even more glitched out

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mega Farfatch'd wielding doublade in each wing

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
On this very day 15 years ago, Pokemon Red and Blue came out in the US.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pokemon Y - Froakie

Pokemon X - Chespin

Pokemon Z - Froakie (again)

Greninja FTW

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
As someone who avidly studied genetics back in high-school, Z is going to be very awkward for me....

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i have a feeling it could be X2 and Y2 just like it was black2 and white 2

they are definitely going to give us mega evos for gen 6 pokes and looking at charizard and mewtwo, they could quite possibly be some exclusives

although i wonder if they are gonna do a remake of gen 3

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Considering they're using X and Y as the titles of the first Pokemon games released on 3DS, a Z is pretty much inevitable.

Nintendo releasing a 2DS on the date of X and Y is kind of humorous though, I will admit.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I hope the third game is called J and it's never explained why, just to **** with people

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
srry 4 being off topic, but my friend has a Torkoal card from Legends Awakened. But this isn't any ordinary torkal, it is a mispelled torkoal! On the card, the name is "Torkoa".

First, is it fake. TO make sure?

Second, if its real, how much does it cost?

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Chances are that it is a fake card, real misprints are fairly rare.

First, you check here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Torkoal_(Legends_Awakened_41)

If it doesn't say there is a misprint in the trivia, it's probably fake.

Second, you check here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Error_cards

As you can see, the Legends Awakened set is not even listed in the second link, so I'm sorry to say that that card is almost certainly a fake.

Another way to confirm is to look closely on the side edge of the card where the material for the back and front come together- there should be a faint black line between both sides. If there isn't, it is fake.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i have a fake card that i cherish cause it's awesome, i think it's a gloom, japanese front....american back

i think i still got it

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Some friends were talking about how to make a good Ice-type, someone brought up the idea of an Ice/Steel type with high defenses. Ice-types can have high SpDef and Steels have high Def, so that works out well. Fire, Fighting, and Ground-type weaknesses are terrible, but theoretically easier to build a team around since you have opportunities for immunities and stuff. There's not much precedence for Ice-types getting recovery moves outside of Cryogonal, though. Give it Ice Body or Snow Warning and you have a decent reason for this Pokemon to actually be Ice-type. Thoughts?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i think we might need an ice type with magic guard for it to be viable, glass cannon magic guard sweeper, like alakazam

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I think Ice/almost anything would work as a glass cannon sweeper, especially if you find an excuse to give it Swift Swim or Chlorophyll.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Didn't help Beartic but honestly why were you running Beartic over a Swift Swimmer who got the STAB/Rain-boost combo?

Ice types aren't viable for a lot of reasons. It'd help immensely if they suddenly became exempt from the SR damage bonus (Magic Guard would accomplish as much) but even then, it's hard to bring them in on anything that isn't an ice-type move and the omnipresence of bulky waters, due to the general utility that type possesses, makes it hard for them to accomplish a lot on their own.

I think Kyurem and Mamoswine are both excellent ice types from last gen for varying reasons. Kyurem had immense bulk, the ability to set up the fabled 101 HP subs without much investment at all, and got access to Roost in the second half of the gen. Mamoswine was the dragon/genie slayer and at the start of BW2, that was practically integral with T-T being everywhere.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Beartic was bad for reasons other than just being Ice-type. Its base speed was too low even with Swift Swim. It had no movepool. Imagine Beartic with 110 SpAtk instead of Atk, maybe base 70 speed, then give it Thunder.

Top Bottom