• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Black and White (WARNING: SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Oh wow, starters can even have alternate abilities...

What do you guys think some of the alternate abilities will be?

crashic alt

Smash Rookie
My wishlist:

Blastoise: Thick Fat
Charizard: Intimidate
Venesaur: Natrual Cure

Fraligator: Water Veil
Typholsian: Flash Fire
chickoreta: Flower Gift

Mudkip: Earthquake Spiral
Fire chicken: Quick Feet
Sceptile: Herbivore

Peliper: Battle Armor
Torterra: Earthquake Spiral
Infernape: Guts

UberMario

Smash Master
Bulbasaur = Chlorophyll
Ivysaur/Venusaur (after evolving from alt-ability Bulbasaur) = Effect Spore
Charmander/Charmeleon = Flash Fire
Charizard (after evolving from alt-ability Charmeleon) = Intimidate
Squirtle/Wartortle = Swift Swim
Blastoise (after evolving from alt-ability Wartortle) = Shell Armor
Chikorita/Bayleef = Leaf Guard
Meganium = Solar Power
Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion = Flame Body
Totodile/Croconaw = Vital Spirit
Feraligatr = Intimidate
Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile = Keen Eye
Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken = Early Bird
Mudkip/Marshtomp = Dry Skin
Swampert = Damp
Turtwig = Chlorophyll
Grotle/Torterra = Shell Armor
Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape = Flame Body
Piplup/Prinplup/Empoleon = Damp
Smugleaf/Grinleaf = Shed Skin
Smirkobra = Intimidate (just so each starter-type has one pokemon with the move)
Baycon/Porkindle = Flash Fire
Pignite = Magma Armor
Wotter/Lutrain = Drizzle
Muscimitar = Keen Eye

Discuss?

It'd also be cool if the other pokemon were named this (just so I can say I called it if they do happen :p):

Chillarmy = Chillarmy
Munna = Toypir
Musharma = Dreamir
Gear = Sprocogs
Mamepato = Dovadee
Hatooboo = Dovin
3rd Pigeon = Dovyne
Darumaka = Baboonka
Hihidaruma = Flampe
Shimama = Zapbra
Meguroko = Geckodile
Rankurusu = Paraman
Gochiruzeru = Gothea (if it's only female, if not then Gothem)
Koromori = Chireart
Kibago = Kibago (Can't really see it using a new name honestly)
Minezumi = Meerchip
Miruhoggu = Meergoose
Wooguru = Wargle
Gigaiasu = Oregre
Emonga = Emonga (nearly all of the Pikachu mimics, including Pikachu himself, are the same in Japan)
Mamanbou = Sympafin (Sympathize [along with the Discus genus, Symphysodon] + fin)
Shikijika = Seasotain [Season + Chevrotain]
Swana = Swana
Moguryu = Molclaw
2nd Mole = Molslice
Doryuuzu = Molgash
Kurumiru = Inchleaf (Not going to bother guessing evolutions)
Ononokusu = Mantaxe
Desukan = Sarcophear
Denchuru = Bitanchula
Basuaro = Oscarred
Tabuune = Felisidad
Zorua, Zoroark, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom = Same

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Feraligatr with Water Veil would be awesome. It can't have its attack lowered so it laughs at Will-o-Wisp. Paralysis is still annoying though.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I came here to type 'wouldn't it be cool if the starters got new abilities from the dream world?' , then I decided to check pokebeach first.

And no, I will not attribute this to some prophetic ability like half the people on this site do.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I don't like it. Starters are supposed to have their boosting abilities. ;___________;
Oh well, nothing I can do about it.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
I don't like it. Starters are supposed to have their boosting abilities. ;___________;
Oh well, nothing I can do about it.
You can do something about it.

You can not catch starters in the Dream World.

Hey, is the dream world DSi exclusive?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
You can do something about it.

You can not catch starters in the Dream World.

Hey, is the dream world DSi exclusive?
The fact remains that they can still have the alternate abilities, and that's what I'm annoyed about.

I hope it's not DSi exclusive, I've just got my old DS. I do seem to remember some news saying something was DSi exclusive, so... :/

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I'd rather they get new abilities. I think it's better than giving every starter the same generic trait. It's like how they gave all of the gen 1 and 2 legends pressure. Lame. I'd like to see a lot of the old pokemon reworked with unqiue abilities.

Giving the starters new stuff to work with could increase their competitive value. Venasaur with Solar power or poison heal, Meganium with natural cure, Feraligatr with intimidate, Torterra with solid rock, etc.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You can't be Poison Type if you want to have Poison Heal, it requires you getting Poisoned.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Hopefully they give the first 2 gen Legends new abilities then.

Also, I can think of lots of abilities new Pokes could have. One that stops priority, one that's identical to Magic Coat.

Ok so I can think of two.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I think a good ability for this metagame would be an Auto Rapid Spin ability, so you don't have to sacrifice a moveslot.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Rapid Spin is Normal and ghosts are immune to it for a reason, the Same reason why Miltank doesn't get it with Scrappy.

Nintendo knows Rapid Spin is a good move, so they need something to balance it out. An Auto Rapid-Spin would break this, and make every single hazard move they made pointless, seeing as they would be completely useless with this Pokemon in play.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Rapid Spin is Normal and ghosts are immune to it for a reason, the Same reason why Miltank doesn't get it with Scrappy.

Nintendo knows Rapid Spin is a good move, so they need something to balance it out. An Auto Rapid-Spin would break this, and make every single hazard move they made pointless, seeing as they would be completely useless with this Pokemon in play.
But then why make it so exclusive? If they know that Rapid Spin is so important, then wouldn't they also know how omnipresent entry hazards are?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Yes, but then they get rid of ALL threat of entry hazards entirely by making a Pokemon that can just get rid of them without the people that spent turns setting up the hazards being able to do anything about it.

That's why Rapid Spin has an immunity.

M.K

Level 55
I'm sorry, but I don't understand this logic, you can still hit fat things on the head and it will hurt them.
Problem is, the move Hail is a conundrum already.

If we assume that the Pokemon get damaged by being pelted physically, then Ice-types wouldn't be immune to the physical effect of shards of ice slamming into them.

If we assume that the Pokemon get damaged by the ice of the Hail, then Pokemon with Thick Fat, certain types resistant to Ice, and some other Pokemon wouldn't be hurt by Hail.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
That's under the assumption that Pokémon like Glaceon are simply chunks of ice that can move around. Perhaps all Ice-type Pokémon can absorb hail, but only certain ones (Walrein, Glalie) can convert the hail to health.

M.K

Level 55
That's under the assumption that Pokémon like Glaceon are simply chunks of ice that can move around. Perhaps all Ice-type Pokémon can absorb hail, but only certain ones (Walrein, Glalie) can convert the hail to health.
Yes, in the same way that Torchic is a moving 18,000 *F Fireball :p

Things like Walrein make sense, being walruses often have to douse their skin to avoid constant sunburn/dry out of the skin. The hail melts, wets their skin, and helps them heal.

However, this brings up yet another point, as to what "HP" exactly measures.
There is nothing about Hail hitting you that would possibly "heal" a wound, a cut, a scrape, or eliminate fatigue. However, this is a whole different scenario that's not worth going into XD.

M.K

Level 55
There's certainly a bit of justification for certain abilities, and then there's the wacky stuff (How exactly does a cow and a monster kangaroo have the ability to seek out and destroy ghosts ._.).
Pokemon is just all over the place! XD

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Yes, but then they get rid of ALL threat of entry hazards entirely by making a Pokemon that can just get rid of them without the people that spent turns setting up the hazards being able to do anything about it.

That's why Rapid Spin has an immunity.
It takes one turn to set down SR. It takes one turn to use Rapid Spin. That seems pretty fair to me.

And TS and normal Spikes are already useless against a lot of things anyway.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
It takes one turn to set down SR. It takes one turn to use Rapid Spin. That seems pretty fair to me.

And TS and normal Spikes are already useless against a lot of things anyway.
In a lot of cases Toxic Spikes can be far more useful than both of them, and Spikes and Stealth Rock have great synergy. They only really become useful after a couple of turns of setup, though, which makes it two turns for (T)S to just one turn of Rapid Spin.

Perhaps they should make it that Rapid Spin only removes a single layer of each entry hazard or something.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
In a lot of cases Toxic Spikes can be far more useful than both of them, and Spikes and Stealth Rock have great synergy. They only really become useful after a couple of turns of setup, though, which makes it two turns for (T)S to just one turn of Rapid Spin.

Perhaps they should make it that Rapid Spin only removes a single layer of each entry hazard or something.
Then they should make it Ice-typed so it isn't completely bad and can hit ghosts.

M.K

Level 55
They would have to reinvent the Freeze condition then.

"Freeze" truly is the penultimate status move.

God Tier

Freeze

High Tier

Sleep
Paralysis
Badly Poisoned
Burned

Middle Tier

Poisoned

Low Tier

Confusion
Attraction

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why nobody uses attract, it renders the opponent useless and forces switching. Not to mention is just plain funny to use.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I don't get why nobody uses attract, it renders the opponent useless and forces switching. Not to mention is just plain funny to use.
Cause there is less then a 25% of it being sucsessful.

You have a 50% chance they are the opposite sex, and then genderless flux you up. After that there is only a 50% chance of infatuation. It just is not worth it in the end. It would good if it was universal (Gay pokemon:p). Witch I don't see why it shouldn't be, but that might just be the factor that keeps it balanced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom