• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
here's one that has literally no chance at all but would be cool

just give him one of these

and one of these

GeZ

Smash Lord
here's one that has literally no chance at all but would be cool

just give him one of these

and one of these

I always thought it would be awesome to have one of the added characters be Majora's Mask link with the ability to switch between his different primary masks, but alas, I don't see it happening.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I always thought it would be awesome to have one of the added characters be Majora's Mask link with the ability to switch between his different primary masks, but alas, I don't see it happening.
screw the other ones deku link ftw

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
screw the other ones deku link ftw
I'm sorry but it seems that you didn't ROLL AROUND WITH SPIKES ON YOUR BODY? Sonic? Pfft fruck that guy, he got it from Goron Link (that's a joke btw, some call it humor). OH DID YOU DOLPHIN JUMP? NO. I DIDN'T THINK SO. What. You think I don't like Deku Link? YOU ACCUSING ME OF NOT LIKING HOPPING ON WATER LIKE A MOTHERFLIPPING PRO?

That's right man. I went there sucka.
Iwentthere

All jokes aside, I'd love Young Link to be back but with his own brand new moveset based off Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time. 3 Links is not good unless they have a lot of differences.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm sorry but it seems that you didn't ROLL AROUND WITH SPIKES ON YOUR BODY? Sonic? Pfft fruck that guy, he got it from Goron Link (that's a joke btw, some call it humor). OH DID YOU DOLPHIN JUMP? NO. I DIDN'T THINK SO. What. You think I don't like Deku Link? YOU ACCUSING ME OF NOT LIKING HOPPING ON WATER LIKE A MOTHERFLIPPING PRO?

That's right man. I went there sucka.
Iwentthere

All jokes aside, I'd love Young Link to be back but with his own brand new moveset based off Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time. 3 Links is not good unless they have a lot of differences.
I don't think the other ones would work as alternate costumes. (alright maybe zora for regular link, but goron for sure won't work)

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I don't think the other ones would work as alternate costumes. (alright maybe zora for regular link, but goron for sure won't work)
Oh no, I meant like pull a Pokemon Trainer with Young Link. I mean they programmed him out right? I'm sure they could program him back in with 4 forms instead of 3 different characters. Then again it'd be too stressful...

Yeah nevermind screw that idea.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Oh no, I meant like pull a Pokemon Trainer with Young Link. I mean they programmed him out right? I'm sure they could program him back in with 4 forms instead of 3 different characters. Then again it'd be too stressful...

Yeah nevermind screw that idea.
but still, I'm pretty sure toon link's proportions match deku link's pretty well, it could be a good alt.

also, lol @ your signature.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
You guys both have points, just try not to be too catty. And don't say "casual" as a derogatory term. It describes a large part of people who enjoy and play this game. This isn't made exclusively for the competitive scene, and acting like it is, or that people who take the game more so seriously are part of a special brownie club is dumb.

Or, seeing how you handle this, it would seem you're dumb. Damn shame.
His points aren't valid, he's arguing against a powered up costume of the same character. If that is the case, then P:M will have to take out a lot of character costumes in the game: white DK (super DK), fire mario, fire luigi, almost all of samus. They'd also have to take out waluigi, daisy, mario/luigi on wario, imposter mario on luigi, dixie, and dark metaknight because you "can't have recolors of another character."
From what I can derive from your poorly worded sentence, I'd argue that this game is made for the more competitive scene. Look at the game and tell me it isn't. Wavedashing, l-canceling, SHFFLing, teching; none of these would be put in the game if they wanted it for everyone. No casual is even going to learn wavedashing.
The stages are way more balanced. Casuals usually like the worst of the stages: temple, spear pillar., and 75 meters.
This game was not made for casuals. "Acting like it is, or that people who take the game more so casually are part of a special brownie club, and they are dumb."
I'd also argue that casuals are the reasons so many melee characters were nerfed and why the vanilla brawl is so unplayable. (TRIPPIING)
If you want "LOL, ITEMS ON MAX, HANENBOW, FREE-FOR-ALL SUICIDE AND TAUNT MATCH, TEHE! <3" go to brawl minus. It's a fun, crazy, non-competitive smash that is perfect for casuals.

As for me being dumb, I'm getting a double degree and a minor.

lastoutlaw113

Smash Apprentice
So I started playing Twilight Princess again (definitely my favorite Zelda game). I'm almost to the Water Temple, but that's beside the point. I realized that Brawl's Dark Link skin looks quite different from the cameo in Twilight Princess.

dliknk.png

Twilight Princess's seems to be entirely grayscale save for the eyes, while Brawl's is made up of extremely dark browns in certain places. I personally think TP's is better. Anyone else think it'd be a nice recolor?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
His points aren't valid, he's arguing against a powered up costume of the same character. If that is the case, then P:M will have to take out a lot of character costumes in the game: white DK (super DK), fire mario, fire luigi, almost all of samus. They'd also have to take out waluigi, daisy, mario/luigi on wario, imposter mario on luigi, dixie, and dark metaknight because you "can't have recolors of another character."
From what I can derive from your poorly worded sentence, I'd argue that this game is made for the more competitive scene. Look at the game and tell me it isn't. Wavedashing, l-canceling, SHFFLing, teching; none of these would be put in the game if they wanted it for everyone. No casual is even going to learn wavedashing.
The stages are way more balanced. Casuals usually like the worst of the stages: temple, spear pillar., and 75 meters.
This game was not made for casuals. "Acting like it is, or that people who take the game more so casually are part of a special brownie club, and they are dumb."
I'd also argue that casuals are the reasons so many melee characters were nerfed and why the vanilla brawl is so unplayable. (TRIPPIING)
If you want "LOL, ITEMS ON MAX, HANENBOW, FREE-FOR-ALL SUICIDE AND TAUNT MATCH, TEHE! <3" go to brawl minus. It's a fun, crazy, non-competitive smash that is perfect for casuals.

casuals could like this game better because of the weight factor alone, as well as the fact it changes up many of the moves and stuff. it's not all about the wavedashing (and stuff) you know. It is made for the competitive players, but also for the casuals who stumble across it. you can't just be like "oh this is the target audience everyone else who isn't should go **** off", and tripping was stupid even for the casuals, you can't blame them for that, that's just stupid.

also HEY! I liked spear pillar and temple. 75 meters was poo though.

waitaminute this is the "ALTERNATE COSTUME" thread, not the "COMPETITIVE GAMER MASTER RACE" discussion, let's get back on track.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord

You know, there was probably a way to say that without sounding rude...

Deep breaths...

So I started playing Twilight Princess again (definitely my favorite Zelda game). I'm almost to the Water Temple, but that's beside the point. I realized that Brawl's Dark Link skin looks quite different from the cameo in Twilight Princess.

Twilight Princess's seems to be entirely grayscale save for the eyes, while Brawl's is made up of extremely dark browns in certain places. I personally think TP's is better. Anyone else think it'd be a nice recolor?
If they did make that, it'd probably be over the old Dark Link. I don't think it's different enough to warrant another costume slot.

GeZ

Smash Lord

Ask any of the developers if the game isn't also made for casual fans. Or if they frown upon people who don't play it competitively. My wording is beautiful by the way dawg. I don't care about your double major. It doesn't keep you from making broad, largely wrong statements. I really would like you to ask any of the members of the PMBR if this game is made exclusively for the competitive scene and if they frown upon casual play.

lastoutlaw113

Smash Apprentice
If they did make that, it'd probably be over the old Dark Link. I don't think it's different enough to warrant another costume slot.
I know it'd probably be over the other Dark Link. That's actually what I'd hope for. I just think the TP Dark Link looks better. As does TP Ganondorf.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Can we discuss G&W alternates?

I got a few ideas:

Mrs. G&W (lady hair, or a red bow)
Hard hat G&W (based on Helmet)
G&W with eyes (A lot of the original LCD game characters had these huge cartoony eyes. You can see some of them on the Flat Zone stage)
^--- You could also give him a fireman's helmet from that base.
G&W with a top hat (just for the heck of it. he could be classy by being the oldest character in smash)

Or you could just be boring and give him more colors like orange and whatever.

I know it'd probably be over the other Dark Link. That's actually what I'd hope for. I just think the TP Dark Link looks better. As does TP Ganondorf.
Yeah it depends if the PMBR cares enough to do so. If you just want the texture yourself, browse around on KC-MM and replace it on your own.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
we need more majora's mask in smash. fierce diety link is cool, same with deku link.

we already have a shadow link, we don't need another one, even if that one's more chalkboard link then dark link.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895

I agree Melee is better, I don't agree that Brawl is unplayable. A lot of people who used to play Melee still play Brawl super competitively which proves that people still like playing Brawl. Also Brawl Minus is actually supposed to be competitive and casual. It's broken to the point of balanced, so you're wrong there too. Project M is also not only supposed to be competitive. Perhaps you need to redo some research, my friend.

Personally, I don't like it. It doesn't actually feel like a "Dark version of Link" that's just me though.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
But that's wrong.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I didn't really want to double post but I can't edit my other post for some reason.

For starters I'm sure that someone has a Yellow/Golden Sonic somewhere on brawl vault. You don't need that as an alt costume. Just add it as a color.

Let's discuss Scourge first. While technically it is sonic, it's also not sonic enough. Scourge is Sonic from another dimension, a Sonic that is evil. They are nothing alike personality wise. This makes them separate enough to be considered different characters. I do believe that Sonic should be available to wear Scourge's outfit while remaining blue though due to them sharing the trait of being sonic.

Now lets compare him to some cases that will probably be brought up.

First, Dark Link. Some might argue that Dark link is an alternate version of link. Dark Link is a reflection of Link, not an alternate version of Link. The fact that he is technically born from Link excuses him. If they had given this character enough development to be different from Link, he would not of been applicable.

Shadow Peach is Peach being controlled. She is still herself but under a dark influence. She is excused because of this.

Ocarina of Time Link. The reason that Link can get this to work is because Link is always the same. He doesn't change personality throughout the games. He remains kind, courageous, and fights for good all the time. From anyone's viewpoint this is still Link.

--------------------------

Darkspines sonic is within the range of the alt costumes.

Fierce Diety Link is within the range of the alt costumes as well, however people may argue that they want him to remain true to his weapon style. You can't have everything. Either you fight for it as a costume with modified weapon and shield to look professional, or you forget about it since he can't have his two handed sword. I mean I never complained about Young link being able to use fire arrows in melee despite being his Ocarina of time incarnation but whatever.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I didn't really want to double post but I can't edit my other post for some reason.

For starters I'm sure that someone has a Yellow/Golden Sonic somewhere on brawl vault. You don't need that as an alt costume. Just add it as a color.

Let's discuss Scourge first. While technically it is sonic, it's also not sonic enough. Scourge is Sonic from another dimension, a Sonic that is evil. They are nothing alike personality wise. This makes them separate enough to be considered different characters. I do believe that Sonic should be available to wear Scourge's outfit while remaining blue though due to them sharing the trait of being sonic.

First, Dark Link. Some might argue that Dark link is an alternate version of link. Dark Link is a reflection of Link, not an alternate version of Link. The fact that he is technically born from Link excuses him. If they had given this character enough development to be different from Link, he would not of been applicable.

Shadow Peach is Peach being controlled. She is still herself but under a dark influence. She is excused because of this.

Ocarina of Time Link. The reason that Link can get this to work is because Link is always the same. He doesn't change personality throughout the games. He remains kind, courageous, and fights for good all the time. From anyone's viewpoint this is still Link.

Fierce Diety Link is within the range of the alt costumes as well, however people may argue that they want him to remain true to his weapon style. You can't have everything. Either you fight for it as a costume with modified weapon and shield to look professional, or you forget about it since he can't have his two handed sword. I mean I never complained about Young link being able to use fire arrows in melee despite being his Ocarina of time incarnation but whatever.

Saito OP. I agree with all of this reasoning in any case, and think that their should be, like was mentioned, room to give characters the outfits of other characters without adapting their look. It works canonically and is done in other fighting games.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Saito OP. I agree with all of this reasoning in any case, and think that their should be, like was mentioned, room to give characters the outfits of other characters without adapting their look. It works canonically and is done in other fighting games.

Dark Peach is from Paper Mario. This is not the same Mario as Super Mario nor the same Peach or Luigi (this is implied by Super Paper Mario with all the different worlds and such.) If it is the same peach then Peach isn't interested in Mario... like at all. It also means Luigi isn't a coward, but a very gun-ho adventurer... that can make evil robot heads?
However, I'm making fun of the people's logic, especially with the paper mario series not being from mario. I don't want anything removed. I'm just using their flawed logic against them to show them basically exactly what you tried to point out. Congrats on catching my point, but not my bad sense of sardonic humor that doesn't translate well.
I don't care about 100% accuracy, as long as it looks right. If you need 100% accuracy then none of the recolors except for the melee recolors are viable and even then a lot of the textures in game would have to be removed.
I'd prefer to have a moded weapon and shield fierce deity over just a white N64 recolor. I'd love a Yink outfit with deku shield/sword on tink. I'd also like a super recolor of sonic/super sonic or darkspine sonic. Overall, making a character that is basically "cosplaying" their character (or another in the same game, but that's a different argument)is still completely acceptable. Look at Daisy Peach, Mario Wario, Fire Luigi/Mario, Jumpman Mario, Super DK, and Dixie Diddy. If you argue that a character needs to be 100% the character they represent, then all of these need to go.
It's not possible to have 100% accuracy, not even the real game has it (*cough* Dark metaknight *cough*).

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I think a lot of people are looking at this wrong. Dark Peach isn't an alt of Peach, Peach has an alternate costume of her wearing Dark Peach's clothes. This Scruge guy can't be in the game because he's not Sonic, but Sonic could theoretically wear his jacket or whatever.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I think a lot of people are looking at this wrong. Dark Peach isn't an alt of Peach, Peach has an alternate costume of her wearing Dark Peach's clothes. This Scruge guy can't be in the game because he's not Sonic, but Sonic could theoretically wear his jacket or whatever.
Exactly. If they can't change the characters voice (which they really can't do in almost all instances) then alternate outfits of other characters from a series or other iterations from a series will always be the primary character already included in P:M wearing the outfit of the alternate character.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
One thing that I'm surprised no one is talking about is what new effects they want to see on these alt costumes.

GeZ

Smash Lord
One thing that I'm surprised no one is talking about is what new effects they want to see on these alt costumes.

Shadow Peach's black magic kicks ass. My friend who mains Ganon confirmed that Ganon x Shadow Peach is his new OTP.

But in all seriousness that is a good topic. I'd be down for Virtual Boy ROB to have different effects on his laser and flame based moves. What do you guys think of that outfit by the way? It's been forcing me to try to get into ROB just because I like its design and spectacle.

Also, am I going crazy, or does Outset Isle Toon Link use the training sword and shield? If they don't then I'd like to lobby that as a nice touch to fit the rest of the outfits, unprepared and untrained, look.

GeZ

Smash Lord
What if we had Sonic in Eggman's coat and goggles?

I mean, that could be interesting...
If we're talking Sonic alts I've always been a sucker for his knight look:

Though if it was added I'd hope they'd go with Shadow's knight armor for him instead on account of it having more than just gauntlets added.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
We need Sonic in Amy's dress with heart effects on all his attacks. There isn't nearly enough transgender and/or cross-dresser representation in the Smash universe.

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
If we're talking Sonic alts I've always been a sucker for his knight look:

Though if it was added I'd hope they'd go with Shadow's knight armor for him instead on account of it having more than just gauntlets added.
i actually agree with this alt. just get rid of the sword and then BAM lol an alt costume. Im still all in favor of the SA2 multiplayer costume tho

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
.. wait, you're playing with items on? I'm sorry, but it's hard to take a casual's opinion seriously.
You know what, **** you and your elitist attitude. Some people actually LIKE to play a non-competitive match every once in a while, but no, according to you, if I do anything other then attend tourneys, I`m a lesser person then you. Because we can`t have "fun" here, having "fun" playing video game would be preposterous!

GeZ

Smash Lord
You know what, **** you and your elitist attitude. Some people actually LIKE to play a non-competitive match every once in a while, but no, according to you, if I do anything other then attend tourneys, I`m a lesser person then you. Because we can`t have "fun" here, having "fun" playing video game would be preposterous!

I agree with you, but Saito already posted a thing from the PMBR laying it all out for this guy, so I think we won't have any issues with elitism anymore.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Dark Peach is from Paper Mario. This is not the same Mario as Super Mario nor the same Peach or Luigi (this is implied by Super Paper Mario with all the different worlds and such.) If it is the same peach then Peach isn't interested in Mario... like at all. It also means Luigi isn't a coward, but a very gun-ho adventurer... that can make evil robot heads?
However, I'm making fun of the people's logic, especially with the paper mario series not being from mario. I don't want anything removed. I'm just using their flawed logic against them to show them basically exactly what you tried to point out.
Paper Mario IS the same exact universe as normal Mario. The different worlds thing in Super Paper Mario was explained very well and never once did it say that there is another version of Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser. They were trapped in another world, yes. But they were trapped from their world which is the same in which the Super Mario series takes place.
-Edit: The darker version of them in the Super Paper Mario world are NOT their other versions. It's a dark evil god or something-

Peach was NEVER revealed to be interested in Mario. Only hints were shown and if you played any of the Paper Mario games you would know that Peach spends most of her time with Mario. They even wanted to have a moment to spend alone in the original Paper Mario. The evil robot heads were made by Dimentio, not Luigi and Luigi is afraid of a lot of things, but not afraid of a good old fashioned adventure. In his stories in TTYD, it shows that Luigi has freaked out a few times. In fact it makes more sense for him to hide his fears so he won't be Mario's shadow anymore. If anything the games don't take out his personality, they show us a different side of it. That's all.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
you guys know what would be the best skin for captain falcon that would make absolutely no sense whatsoever?

I know it's not possible btw

lastoutlaw113

Smash Apprentice
This game was not made for casuals.
Uhh... this isn't freaking MvC. We don't have super ultra hyper combos in Super Smash Bros. There aren't real advanced techniques, there are small glitches that people exploit. Just because some people choose to play the game competitively doesn't mean it was designed as anything more than a party game. Actually, since you probably don't care what I'm saying, let's see what Sakurai himself says...

"The idea of Brawl’s ‘carefree brawling’ motto was to get rid of as many restraints as possible and allow people to choose whatever play approach they liked. I’d like people to take some freer approaches with their gameplay, but the sort of battle style you describe in your letter [defensive tactics with items off] is not interesting or fun. That’s why I’ll probably be thinking of a way to deal with that in the next game."
Source: http://www.gengame.net/2013/03/saku...-smash-bros-battles-arent-interesting-or-fun/

So there you have it. Sakurai doesn't like competitive Smash Bros. and wants his game to be about having fun. And he doesn't think competitive SSB is having fun.

yogurtgun1245

Smash Apprentice
Is anyone else going to be bothered by the lack of recolors on some of the alternate costumes? I understand the PMBR's viewpoint that coming up with and creating recolors for certain costumes might be hard, but I don't think it would be that impossible or unsightly. And without canon recolors for a lot of the costumes it allows for more creative freedom to be taken. Maybe I'm just used to the fact that the only character in the game that comes preloaded into Project M already had a full set recolors for their alternate costume. I don't tend to use any radical texture/vertex/models unless they come with recolors that can be put in with Cbliss while maintaining both that character and the original. Overall I think that what they've done with Doctor Mario and OoT Link looks the most professional in terms of how Nintendo would implement additional alternate costumes, and I hope that past 3.0 they may start taking that stance with more of the alternate costumes in the game.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Is anyone else going to be bothered by the lack of recolors on some of the alternate costumes? I understand the PMBR's viewpoint that coming up with and creating recolors for certain costumes might be hard, but I don't think it would be that impossible or unsightly. And without canon recolors for a lot of the costumes it allows for more creative freedom to be taken. Maybe I'm just used to the fact that the only character in the game that comes preloaded into Project M already had a full set recolors for their alternate costume. I don't tend to use any radical texture/vertex/models unless they come with recolors that can be put in with Cbliss while maintaining both that character and the original. Overall I think that what they've done with Doctor Mario and OoT Link looks the most professional in terms of how Nintendo would implement additional alternate costumes, and I hope that past 3.0 they may start taking that stance with more of the alternate costumes in the game.

I agree 100%. Especially considering that some alt costumes have special effects it just comes off as unprofessional to not allow a 4 player battle where everyone is [insert alt costume here].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom