• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malion

Smash Ace
I find that providing a workable image is the quickest way to have an image posted in the OP.

Malion

Smash Ace
Oh I was just saying if someone wants a pic of something it's probably in everyone's best interest to just include an example or the picture in question in your post somewhere... by workable I just meant a simple image that doesn't have a complicated background or watermarks or things of that sort... though I'm sure transparent backgrounds are ideal.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Oh I was just saying if someone wants a pic of something it's probably in everyone's best interest to just include an example or the picture in question in your post somewhere... by workable I just meant a simple image that doesn't have a complicated background or watermarks or things of that sort... though I'm sure transparent backgrounds are ideal.
The official art is free of background, so I wanted to have any costumes without official art to look similar, rather than have differing styles throughout the OP.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I got the impression from a PMBR member that altering facial expressions is pretty damn difficult to do if you want it to look natural and not just a constant unchanging angry face when he's being attacked which would look pretty odd.

Last edited:

Malion

Smash Ace
He should just constantly be angry... also all the shy guys in the mario kart level could be replaced with angry luigis.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
I haven't checked for other characters, but I know Toon Link has unique expressions for different attacks.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I got the impression from a PMBR member that altering facial expressions is pretty damn difficult to do if you want it to look natural and not just a constant unchanging angry face when he's being attacked which would look pretty odd.
I never said it's easy. And it's certainly not something the PMBR would do.

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
I actually read that. That's why I am asking this. I mean, is there any concept design of Lucario like that? Or is it from tha anime/manga? Or it's just a judoka suit based on those objects he can equip in Pokémon series?
if you read it its supposed to give you the impression its just an original concept taking from what type of pokemon lucario is+how fighters dress in the pokemon universe.

Malion

Smash Ace
But that's Cranky Kong, so it's not the same character.
That's a really obscure technicality that can easily be reasoned away.

Both characters are called Donkey Kong in their prime and are large ape creatures. Even though DK Jr is technically the modern DK. This is like Donkey Kong is more of a title than a name, something that holds significance beyond the individual. Hence why when Cranky Kong gets older and less capable for Donkey Konging he removes himself from the name and lets Jr become the Full DK.

I would say this is fairly similar to OoT Link and TP Link who are definitely not the same person and OoT even meets TP Link as an old Ghost to teach him his moves and give him advice. This is role that Cranky Kong takes in DKC as well.

And let's not go down the rabbit hole of if it even was Cranky. Some games claim Cranky is DK's father, others that he is his grandfather.
Brawl itself states that Original Donkey Kong is Modern DK's grandfather... which makes things even more confusing.

Ahh I've gotten off topic, but TLDR, if the two links can be considered similar enough to be alts of each other, then so can the two donkey kongs.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Speaking of DK alts. It'd be nice to see him get the DK Jr. shirt. Or perhaps give it to Diddy since he has a similar build to DK Jr.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Speaking of DK alts. It'd be nice to see him get the DK Jr. shirt. Or perhaps give it to Diddy since he has a similar build to DK Jr.

Yeah that looks good as a cosplay.

OoT even meets TP Link as an old Ghost to teach him his moves and give him advice.
This was never confirmed in Hyrule Historia so I don't believe Hero's Shade is actually Ocarina Link, or at the very least he is nothing but a walking corpse, a mere shadow without the soul of Ocarina Link since TP Link now has his soul.

Ahh I've gotten off topic, but TLDR, if the two links can be considered similar enough to be alts of each other, then so can the two donkey kongs.
Nope, because Link is constantly reincarnated as the same person, a quiet blonde boy (after the redesign) always having the Triforce of Courage innately in himself just like Zelda is always Zelda with the Triforce of Wisdom. It isn't just some title passed down through the generations.

Ganondorf in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess confirms he is fighting an eternal battle against the same hero.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
This was never confirmed in Hyrule Historia so I don't believe Hero's Shade is actually Ocarina Link, or at the very least he is nothing but a walking corpse without the soul of Ocarina Link since TP Link now has his soul.

Nope, because Link is constantly reincarnated as the same person, a quiet blonde boy (after the redesign) always having the Triforce of Courage innately in himself just like Zelda is always Zelda with the Triforce of Wisdom. It isn't just some title passed down through the generations.
Actually, it was stated that he's the Hero of Time's descendant, and that the Shade that teaches him the Hidden Skills is in fact the spirit of the Hero of Time.

From the Twilight Princess section:
Hyrule Historia said:
The spirit of Link’s ancestor, the Hero of Time, teaches him his secrets.
Screen Shot 2014-07-20 at 4.11.10 PM.png

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Actually, it was stated that he's the Hero of Time's descendant, and that the Shade that teaches him the Hidden Skills is in fact the spirit of the Hero of Time.

From the Twilight Princess section:

View attachment 18830
Hmmm, there's another line somewhere in the Historia that some believe it to be true, but even with this confirmation:

"Although I accepted life as the hero, I could not convey the lessons of that life to those that came after. At last, I have eased my regrets."

A new reincarnation of the same soul talking to an old one in the spirit world isn't a new concept, see Avatar: The Last Airbender. Also note he's the Hero's Shade, it's in the name he is just barely hanging on to existence because he has regrets only TP Link can heal.

Also, lol at Psykid taking away my like when the thrust of my point is still correct.

Last edited:

Malion

Smash Ace
Well even if he's a reincarnation. He looks different, has no connecting memories of his past life and has different experiences.

That's enough to consider someone a unique individual in my book.

I was just using this as a reference towards DK essentially filling the role of retro dk, in name, appearce, and for the most part, role.

They are both Heroes of Jungle essentially.

And your referencing atla just proves that reincarnations can be entirely unique. You wouldn't make a Korra alt skin for an Aang even if they are reincarnations. The fighting style, height, and all that jazz would need to be altered.

Link and DK on the other hand are similarly built and have similar attack style amoung their iterations and thus probably should be considered alt costume wise similarly.

Shin F.

Smash Master
"Although I accepted life as the hero, I could not convey the lessons of that life to those that came after. At last, I have eased my regrets."
There's no indication in this line that they're the same at all - merely that although he accepted his life as the Hero of Time, he regretted not passing on his skills and was now using the chance to do so. That doesn't make them the same soul.
A new reincarnation of the same soul talking to an old one in the spirit world isn't a new concept, see Avater: the Last Airbender.
Not a new concept at all, but there's no actual indication that this is what's happening between these two. You can choose to see it that way. That's up to you. But there isn't any actual canonical evidence for it.
Also note he's the Hero's Shade, it's in the name he is just barely hanging on to existence because he has regrets only TP Link can heal.
And again, this doesn't indicate that they're one and the same at all. His regrets were eased by passing on his abilities to someone new who could carry on his legacy.

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
There's an alt. costume I would love to see for Ness. It's a special moment in near end of MOTHER 2, so I don't want to spoil the game. Don't look it if you haven't played it:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
How do people think Robot Ness would actually work over regular Ness's animation? He's like a box.
What if he was a R.O.B. Alt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom