• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably the only person who is dying for Wedding Bowser from SPM. (Yes, I know it's in the OP) The PMBR can do an amazing job creating that costume and making it happen! I can't even find one on Brawl Vault to hold me down until it becomes official...

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
The Melee versions of characters do have new models, as does classic Pit which also appeared in Melee as a trophy. In theory they are the same character though with a different look from a different game in the series.

Maybe if you took Pokémon breeding out of the equation it doesn't really matter the gender of the Pokémon, but it's hard for me to accept that Pikachu can be both male and female at the same time and be the exact same character.

It isn't like Villager or Mii Fighter who are not true characters but customizable avatars. Or Wii Fit Trainer who is an artificial hologram instructor that you pick which gender you want it those games. Pikachu is a character who you can't customize in his game beyond the costumes in AS/OR.
Well to be super technical, they've had all that Pokemon Dress Up Crap for a while, definitely in Black and White and possibly before. I see what you mean it would be hard to accept Pikachu as male for some alts and female for others, but you do have a chnace to catch a male or female one in any game, or start off with a female in Yellow (I think).

Plus, the tail is cute. Don't argue with cute tails

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet
Are costumes that do not specifically reflect an appearance from a Nintendo game still eligible? I'm not talking about things like Master Chief or Goku, but I was thinking something more generic, like a theme. League of Legends has tons of skins that offer new takes on characters without completely changing their identity. They sometimes reference outside material, but it's always a new take on the same character. The fantasy setting in Lol makes this easier to do, but there are still costumes (like Steampunk R.O.B. or Arctic Ops Snake) that wouldn't seem out of place in a Smash game.

I think I know the answer to this considering we are 139 pages in without any suggestions for "generic" costumes, but I don't remember this idea ever being explicitly addressed. And I also understand that even if they were eligible, the ones from Nintendo lore would be preferred over these, especially considering that Smash is a type of celebration of Nintendo games.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Are costumes that do not specifically reflect an appearance from a Nintendo game still eligible? I'm not talking about things like Master Chief or Goku, but I was thinking something more generic, like a theme. League of Legends has tons of skins that offer new takes on characters without completely changing their identity. They sometimes reference outside material, but it's always a new take on the same character. The fantasy setting in Lol makes this easier to do, but there are still costumes (like Steampunk R.O.B. or Arctic Ops Snake) that wouldn't seem out of place in a Smash game.

I think I know the answer to this considering we are 139 pages in without any suggestions for "generic" costumes, but I don't remember this idea ever being explicitly addressed. And I also understand that even if they were eligible, the ones from Nintendo lore would be preferred over these, especially considering that Smash is a type of celebration of Nintendo games.
I think Snake has some alts in the vein of what you're talking about, though I only played The Twin Snakes so those costumes might actually be from somewhere. But you're talking if like Jigglypuff had spectacles and a graduation hat, something cool but not spawned from Nintendo or a game per se. I'd be down with that so long as it's creative. Like Ivysur or 1920's Zero Suit Samus (which someone should draw out because it's such a random idea)

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet
I think Snake has some alts in the vein of what you're talking about, though I only played The Twin Snakes so those costumes might actually be from somewhere. But you're talking if like Jigglypuff had spectacles and a graduation hat, something cool but not spawned from Nintendo or a game per se. I'd be down with that so long as it's creative. Like Ivysur or 1920's Zero Suit Samus (which someone should draw out because it's such a random idea)
I guess my Snake example wasn't the best but that was exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of for ZSS and Jiggs. I figured it would be kind of cool to open up discussion for that type of alternate costume, so that people could post crazy ideas and some of them that people like could be put on the list and considered.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I guess my Snake example wasn't the best but that was exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of for ZSS and Jiggs. I figured it would be kind of cool to open up discussion for that type of alternate costume, so that people could post crazy ideas and some of them that people like could be put on the list and considered.
I think it's an idea that warrants consideration, and that this thread is well equipped enough to deal with trollers coming up with stupid ideas haha. Better than just mundane recolors haha

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Two things: The link for Atomic Purple Rob (not Pic 2) is broken.

And also I would be terribly disappointed if Justin Bailey ZSS did not get in

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet
Purple recolors for days
The purple Marth is still one of my favorites.

And who would agree with a slight recolor of green Samus? The puke green one in Brawl is strange, and I think making it darker and more verdant would turn it into a solid color choice.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
The purple Marth is still one of my favorites.

And who would agree with a slight recolor of green Samus? The puke green one in Brawl is strange, and I think making it darker and more verdant would turn it into a solid color choice.
I think it's kind of a carry over from past games, I think 64 had a green Samus like that, though I remember the one in Melee being more of a mint color

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet
I think it's kind of a carry over from past games, I think 64 had a green Samus like that, though I remember the one in Melee being more of a mint color
Ah you're right, I never noticed the 64 Samus colors. Probably means they'll leave it as it is. Something bugs me about it though, but I could always get a custom texture for my petty preference.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Two things: The link for Atomic Purple Rob (not Pic 2) is broken.

And also I would be terribly disappointed if Justin Bailey ZSS did not get in
I'll fix the link. And Justin Bailey has probably been suggested.

Keep in mind Shin (Who used to do the list) and I have social lives, as well as other threads we're interested in. This thread is so active ideas get lost in the dust. If you feel strongly about something I'll make sure I get to it.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I'll fix the link. And Justin Bailey has probably been suggested.

Keep in mind Shin (Who used to do the list) and I have social lives, as well as other threads we're interested in. This thread is so active ideas get lost in the dust. If you feel strongly about something I'll make sure I get to it.

Oh no no no don't worry at all. It is already there, I just think it's such a good idea is all I'm trying to say. And I just pointed out the broken link just so you'd know, not trying to be a critic haha

P.S. Subliminal messaging for Zero Suit Flapper

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace

I guess that kind of thing would fall under fan designs, which they're not really doing.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I guess that kind of thing would fall under fan designs, which they're not really doing.
I feel like fan designs wouldn't take priority, but I wouldn't rule them out, as Christmas Hat Jigglypuff is a thing, as well as other Pokemon accessories. I'd also like to see more Project M clothing in-game. A ZSS PM suit could look pretty cool

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I feel like fan designs wouldn't take priority, but I wouldn't rule them out, as Christmas Hat Jigglypuff is a thing, as well as other Pokemon accessories. I'd also like to see more Project M clothing in-game. A ZSS PM suit could look pretty cool
Based on Alts so far I'd say Fan designs are unlikely. The PMBR seemingly wants to make costumes that reference something in the character's respected universe.

That's why while the rule against outer-series costumes often sounds like it's talking about other Video Game Series, it's also sort of talking about everything else in general. The only alts that haven't referenced the characters' series are Crown Jiggs, and Party Pika. Simply because those were old Alts.

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet
Based on Alts so far I'd say Fan designs are unlikely. The PMBR seemingly wants to make costumes that reference something in the character's respected universe.

That's why while the rule against outer-series costumes often sounds like it's talking about other Video Game Series, it's also sort of talking about everything else in general. The only alts that haven't referenced the characters' series are Crown Jiggs, and Party Pika. Simply because those were old Alts.
I figured that that was the unspoken interpretation on that rule based on the things we've seen from the PMBR so far. But the Outside Series Clause has been never explicitly been employed to deny a fan creation, and the lack of suggestions in this vein made me curious about their status under this rule.

Malion

Smash Ace
Here are some better pics of the Pikachu costumes without all the watermarks and background stuff.

GeZ

Smash Lord
As cool as the Ganon Alternate that's coming out soon is going to be, It's not really something I'm super big on, and I've heard the sentiment from a few other Ganon mains, so just as something for the PMBR to look at and keep in mind in case they ever make another Ganondorf alternate, dig this

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
Wait, i just realized something... each character can only have 10 slots, Link's 10 are already filled! That means no Magic Armor! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Classic Link needs to fill that slot, no other costume compares.

Also to Psykid, I don't think Dark Meta Knight counts as an alternative costume according to Nanobuds so you should probably remove it from the first post.

They aren't using that cool new pose as a character portrait like we all suspected and instead are just going to recolor the old pose. I think you should call this the Fire Peach rule (recolor that almost counts as an alternative costume).

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Classic Link needs to fill that slot, no other costume compares.

Also to Psykid, I don't think Dark Meta Knight counts as an alt costume according to Nanobuds so you should probably remove it from the first post.

They aren't using that cool new pose as a character portrait like we all suspected and instead are just going to recolor the old pose. I think you should call this the Fire Peach rule (recolor that almost counts as an alternative costume).
It doesn't matter if it's just a recolor or not. It's still considered an Alternate Costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom