• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play SSB:M online.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Tutorial: http://www.willvolution.com/phpBB2/...&start=0&sid=549e64dfad971030f5a606f1bd42424d

According to a post in the thread, it runs flawlessly with less than 60ms ping. Anybody around here tried it out yet? I have yet to install it but if we can get an online community going for melee... well... I will j izz my pants.

Also, it mentions that you will need a fairly high end computer, i.e. multicore and good graphics card/ram.

Massive

Smash Champion
This has been tried before, it's not an acceptable solution for melee.

GNT is not nearly as harsh on input timing as smash is, and in that very thread they said they were having trouble keeping it from desyncing 2 seconds in.

Balloon

Smash Lord
This has been tried before, it's not an acceptable solution for melee.

GNT is not nearly as harsh on input timing as smash is, and in that very thread they said they were having trouble keeping it from desyncing 2 seconds in.
from the thread:

It's incredibly hard to find a revision that doesn't desync after 2 seconds of netplay, also many revisions make more things worst instead of fixing.
So stick to this Revision untill the official v3.0 gets released.
also, the very same poster later states:

It's working flawlessly with a ping below 60ms and two good PC's, you would not believe that you play online because you have no input lag at all.
although I did just now realize that this was for a Naruto game.. but still shouldn't it work ok? there are some videos of it working online for smash on youtube..

Zodiac

Smash Master
alright look everyone we know that melee online wont work because of lag, but did you ever think of stop complaining and be glad we have melee online at all? hell that we are even a step closer to getting it to be perfect? Im trying this sometime next month when I get my new computer

Also here's your gamecube adapter

http://sewelldirect.com/Mayflash-3-in-1-Magic-Joy-Box.asp

Abate

Smash Journeyman
Is there anyone else that hopes melee will never be online? I just love actually going somewhere and sitting next to the people I am playing against.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
What's the harm in being able to do both? Unless you're suggesting that offline communities cannot exist with games that go online (which simply isn't true).

Massive

Smash Champion
Is there anyone else that hopes melee will never be online? I just love actually going somewhere and sitting next to the people I am playing against.
There shouldnt be.
In 5 years the community will be so divided, and CRT televisons so hard to find that there will barely be an appreciable melee scene left.

We're approaching the endgame of this game, we need some kind of maintainable strategy to play it online or it will just fade away.

username12345678

Smash Apprentice
right because online play= the death of tournaments/smashfest/playing with actual people

which is why there aren't any brawl tournaments :troll:

blaze3927

Smash Ace
netplay melee dolphin sucks, best youll ever get is two stock games that ds after atm
buy a broadband adapter and phantasy star online/modchip.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
phantasy star online method is bad as well

your character appears to glitch in-game and that's not so good

Zodiac

Smash Master
Its not like when melee goes online we'll just stop going to tournaments, everyone loves tournaments and being there, ask any smasher what their favorite part of being a smasher is and they will give you a similar answer to that.

Delaro

Smash Cadet
I totally agree with you! Playing online is such a frustration when you fight against spamer or noob , when you play with friends or people you know, you know how they fight and you can punch them if they play like b**** :p Also it's a lot of fun to be next to your enemy, you can talk while playing and give excuses for you bad moves :p

Bones0

Smash Legend
While online would certainly never take the place of in-person tournaments, it would certainly change the community drastically. The question is whether it would change for the better or worse. I doubt local events would garner enough attention except in very concentrated areas where you only have to drive 30 minutes or less to get to the venue. Beyond that, it simply isn't cost effective. People always remark about how cheap Smashers are, but the irony is that most Smashers put up a good amount of money travelling to and entering tournaments. These costs would make going to local events less appealing when you could simply play the same people online and chat over Skype or something. Am I saying I prefer this? Obviously not, but I would rather just hop online and play at my leisure than have to dedicate an entire day to travel to play people in person. On a national scale, however, tournaments would be much more frequent and much larger. The scene in general would probably expand greatly with easy online capabilities, and people who once remained spectators due to issues with travelling constantly or living in the middle of nowhere could feel much more prepared going into a tournament.

Massive

Smash Champion
While online would certainly never take the place of in-person tournaments, it would certainly change the community drastically. The question is whether it would change for the better or worse. I doubt local events would garner enough attention except in very concentrated areas where you only have to drive 30 minutes or less to get to the venue. Beyond that, it simply isn't cost effective. People always remark about how cheap Smashers are, but the irony is that most Smashers put up a good amount of money travelling to and entering tournaments. These costs would make going to local events less appealing when you could simply play the same people online and chat over Skype or something. Am I saying I prefer this? Obviously not, but I would rather just hop online and play at my leisure than have to dedicate an entire day to travel to play people in person. On a national scale, however, tournaments would be much more frequent and much larger. The scene in general would probably expand greatly with easy online capabilities, and people who once remained spectators due to issues with travelling constantly or living in the middle of nowhere could feel much more prepared going into a tournament.
The street fighter scene has online multiplayer and it hasn't hindered it's tourney turnout in the slightest. If anything, it makes people more competitive and introduces them to players they may not ever encounter otherwise. Online melee would only increase our exposure to people who normally can't play melee at all because of distance.

Furthermore, online play will NEVER be the same as playing right next to someone, there will ALWAYS be lag, regardless of distance between computers, period. Online play is just not able to replace the same quality you would encounter playing locally.

Going to a local smash tourney isn't just about playing matches, it's about hanging out with your friends too.

Pi

Smash Hero
i think it would be great
it would create drama about online vs. in real melee
**** talk would be awesome bro
'vs. me in real and get your **** wrecked son, online aint mean ****'

i look forward too it

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Abate- One of the challenges of Melee is being able to travel, and it really is a challenge. It adds to the difficulty of becoming good, it's something that separates players of different skill levels. I kinda hope Melee online doesn't pick up too much popularity, although I'll probably be ridiculously tempted to use it LOL

The Star King

Smash Hero
i think it would be great
it would create drama about online vs. in real melee
**** talk would be awesome bro
'vs. me in real and get your **** wrecked son, online aint mean ****'

i look forward too it
Smash 64 has been there, done that. Yawn.

The Star King

Smash Hero
It's actually kind of annoying.

I guess some people like that sort of thing, though. I do remember you trying to create trash talk in that failed MM thread.

Top Bottom