• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PK LOVE: The Complete Lucas FAQ - Kill Move %'s! 3/16/08

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
Big news Lucas fans! I just got a PM from someone who has the game, loves Lucas, and is offering to test moves and give feedback/information!

I'm starting up a list of stuff I want to ask, but anything you guys can think of that you'd like answered would be a huge help to the list and the FAQ in general.

I'm really hoping to get the FAQ as detailed as possible, so once again, anything you're curious about, please post and I'll ask him.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I KNOW! ISN'T IT GREAT???

Now people will really have to mix up their game! And Lucas's up smash will be even more badass because it will be his least used smash, and so when it does hit, it's going to cane.

Speaking about the Up Smash...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GFeXf8kvYLs

at 0:26

HOLY COW, LOOK AT THE RANGE ON THAT MONSTER!!

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
oh wow nessbounder, thats an awesome vid.
<3 zelda
her teleport seems faster and she can do the fire attack straight after.
nice work.

what skill was that at 0:26?
was so good

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
Hah, I'm pretty psyched to see that PSI shield actually looks like it could be useful.

And whoa. The range on his up smash is HUGE! He almost star KO's Zelda at 56% with it too!

Crazy.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
oh wow nessbounder, thats an awesome vid.
<3 zelda
her teleport seems faster and she can do the fire attack straight after.
nice work.

what skill was that at 0:26?
was so good
That move he used was his Up Smash attack. (Up and A at the same time)

I always thought the move would be too slow to ever use in a 1 vs 1 match, but its range is truly amazing.

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
oh wow
it was so good.
must try it when i get brawl.

(about 3 days till i get it ^^)

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
Hm. I didn't really take it to account all the new players that brawl might attract. Should I have included a general FAQ as well?

And just FYI, I'll be updating the FAQ with a massive amount of information sometime within the next few days, provided nothing unexpected comes up. I know some of the stuff is a bit out of date or incorrect at the moment, and I'll have it fixed pretty soon as well.

Thanks go out to everyone for your patience and support. ^.^

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I was going to flame you for making a FAQ so early but then I saw that it was just really useful information and not a bunch of crap. But you pleasantly suprised me by providing something helpful. Thanks a lot.:laugh:

Galeon

Smash Ace
Things i noticed after playing:

*His Up smash. It's kind of ridiculous. It not only hits above but it hits at the sides and below him all of which has really high knockback. To say the least, the range is huge. I've beat Link's down air with it. I've hit people who were below my platform as they tried to hit me. I've hit people who are clearly outside of the range standing at what they thought was outside the range and they got sucked in and killed. I've also had it hit twice in the same up-smash I believe. I've killed a Mario like in the 70s on the shadow moses (I think that's the name) stage on the top platform when he got hit by it.

One other thing about it: I don't believe that it has "super armor". It just seems that he's flat out invincible during some of the frames of his up-smash. When you hit Ike during his up-b, you see hit sparks. Attacks go through Lucas during certain frames. I've had Falco throw his reflector clear through my body at near point blank range and get hit by the up-smash. I played all day and did not see anything outprioritize my up-smash or even cancel it out. It just... won... and owned anything that was near me.

EDIT: One thing I also forgot. If you block his up-smash, you get sent flying back in your shield. You would have to be a Link or somethign to shield grab it. From my experiences, people barely had enough time to drop their shield, run up and dash attack before I could block.

*His stick [forward-smash] reflects projectiles (I did it by mistake but I thought people might care).

*His down-b has like no lag. After you do it, you can just block almost immediately after. I've absorbed an approaching pit's short hop arrow and shieldgrabbed the dash attack that came immediately after.

*All of his attacks feel like they beat every other character's moves. I clanked (tied in priority but I like the word clank) with Mario's f-smash with my down tilt. His nair which should have like negative priority seems to just eat through other people's attacks. Maybe I'm getting lucky with it but I have like no fear in just approaching with nair. I've had people try to intercept it with F-smashes and just get owned by it as my attacks wins and comboes into an utilt. By the end of the day, people started working their way around my up-smash (as opposed to trying to find something that outprioritized it) while coming down and baiting my down-air (as opposed to blindly trying to uair it) while trying to keep me in the air. There was seemingly no option in challenging them because their move seemed to get eaten.

*I wasn't able to wavedash by doing the directional double jump.

*Getting the bair to spike was pretty difficult for me. When I was going specifically for that, it would knock them back instead of sending them down even when they were below me.

I hope this helped some.

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
Ah, that's really cool! His Up-Smash seriously hits underneath him too?

The stick reflect is pretty cool too. Ness did the same in melee and I was wondering if it was the same deal with lucas.

Looks like his up smash will have to be looked in to more to find out about this whole super armor / invincibility thing, though.

All in all, glad to hear everything you posted. :D Good to hear he seems to have a lot of priority.

I'll be updating the first post with all the new gathered info sometime this weekend hopefully.

Thanks for all the info. I'm really psyched to see that Lucas is turning out to be every bit as awesome as I was hoping he'd be. =]

Galeon

Smash Ace
Yea I was on the top platform trying to intercept a really aggressive player from above with Up-Smash. I did it as he was coming down. At the same time, a Pit comes from underneath trying to u-air me. He gets sucked in and shot straight up without touching me.

But yea, the invincibility thing I was wondering about at first. One of my friends started complaining that his arrow went through my head when I u-smashed so I assumed he missed. Then I started eating d-smashes with it and the reflector happened. Im 90% sure its invincibility. I easily use u-smash more than any of the others. It's just so good.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
*Getting the bair to spike was pretty difficult for me. When I was going specifically for that, it would knock them back instead of sending them down even when they were below me.
I think I saw a vid where it spiked when the foe was above lucas's foot, so that might've been your problem.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Wow...That is fantastic to hear about Lucas's priority! And his up smash...wow, I really thought it'd be useless when I first saw it, but now it could end up being my favorite move! No lag on his PSI Magnet means that it could be used to combo into other moves at low % (up smash? lololol.)

We really need to come up with a pet name for the up smash, too. :laugh:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Why do I have some feeling that we'll soon have a Lucas shine?

Galeon

Smash Ace
on a slightly related note to that, I edgeguard a forward-b'ing Ike with pk fires until he died. kinda proud of that ^^

KnivesOut

Smash Rookie
i've been playing Brawl A LOT on a modded wii recently and out of most of the characters i've played with, Lucas is definitely one of the best. His air game is incredibly good and combining it with fast falling and short hopping can seriously add a lot to his game. His Smashes are all pretty good. His Up Smash has a huge hit area and can kill at roughly 80 percent, even less if the smash is fully charged. Without a doubt, he's becoming one of my mains.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Why do I have some feeling that we'll soon have a Lucas shine?
We kinda already do. The psi magnet I'd imagine could act as a shine very easily if you were to tap the button fast enough (or at least in the sense of stopping shield grabs and leaving you free to do stuff afterward). It's probably a two frame move (maybe one) if you release B quickly. Or could someone who has the game tell us if if it has startup lag?

Firekid2

Smash Apprentice
Why is it nececary to tail whip when Lucas's PKT goes though them anyway?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
The head has some upwards knockback. But you're mostly correct.
I'd wanna use the head rather than the tail for edgeguarding, tbh. If you can get them close enough to the blast zone, you'd probably be able to kill them outright thanks to the knockback, whereas the tail wouldn't kill them if they had a good vertical recovery, like so many chars do. Just getting them low enough that the tails would be an effective edgeguard seems like it would happen rarely.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
It all depends how much DI the head allows. The idea of using the tail is to get rid of their 2nd jump.
With brawl's DI, in a lot of vids I've seen, people haven't even had to use their second jump to get back to the stage. That's my whole point. Getting them to where their second jump would even be that helpful is rare, and most probably would only happen after a spike that they managed to survive (either because it was at a low percent or that they meteor canceled it, which wouldn't give you a chance to pk thunder them anyway, unless they were a multijump character).

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Right. So I guess spamming PKthunder on the edge would mainly just serve to rack up damage then?
The main offensive use I see for the pk thunder is when they're already really high up, and a couple hits from the head will kill them. If they're lower, you may as well use pk fire to edgeguard, which actually has pretty good knockback, or just jump out there and hit them yourself.

Galeon

Smash Ace
Yea I edgeguarded a Pit and Sonic with it. Since they can't really sweetspot as easily as others, it was pretty cake. The Pit was good though so I only got him when he failed. On that same note though, I've pulled people up from below the ledge with U-smash. It definitely has multiple hitboxes btw. Today again, I had the lower hitbox launch into the higher hitbox and ko a poor Squirtle. I didn't check his starting percent but I assume he took alot of damage.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
I'm testing out if DownB off the ledge would make a good edgeguard against DI heavy recoverers (ZSamus, DeDeDe, Captain Falcon, etc.) Because the knockback should be enough to kill and its easy to do (since you kill downward momentum with downB).

Also bair meteor is really effective edgeguard.

kafke

Smash Apprentice
nice guide, I haven't really watched lucas fight but I have a question, Is he a clone of ness? I was just wondering, but it is always nice to have another character. :)

Top Bottom