• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

C3CC

Smash Lord
I didn't find any of the bosses from Earthbound particularly hard, except for the first and the last one. The first (the giant ant) was only because I wasn't really understanding the game at all and the last one because it transforms into something that deflects attacks.

The final boss (Giygas) is not really hard, but just has a stupid method of being defeated and they never tell you how to do it (read my rant in my previous post for more information).

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Everyone says that M3's bosses are all easy mode and the only difficult one is Miracle Fassad, but I have to disagree; Miracle Fassad was one of the easiest bosses for me in both playthroughs (granted I'd done some heay grinding before them without even versing them once) but there were a couple bosses I found genuinely difficult, noteworthy examples include the Barrier Trio, chapter 7 end boss (I've never not had to grind for that fight) and Chapter 4 end boss.

It's true though that as a general rule EB's bosses are harder. But with EB it seems different bosses are harder or easier each time. I remember struggling for ages with the kraken on my first playthrough, but on my second run he was an easy win first fight. Same applied to Ness' Nightmare, and for contrast, on my second playthrough I recall Frank being stupidly more difficult than going through my first time.

It can all probably be explained through how I levelled. But that's the thing, M3's levelling is more consistent anyway. Most people are in the mid 40's by the end of chapter 7 (usually have to grind to about 50 if they're like me) for example.

Both are massively fun though haha.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Everyone says that M3's bosses are all easy mode and the only difficult one is Miracle Fassad, but I have to disagree; Miracle Fassad was one of the easiest bosses for me in both playthroughs (granted I'd done some heay grinding before them without even versing them once) but there were a couple bosses I found genuinely difficult, noteworthy examples include the Barrier Trio, chapter 7 end boss (I've never not had to grind for that fight) and Chapter 4 end boss.

It's true though that as a general rule EB's bosses are harder. But with EB it seems different bosses are harder or easier each time. I remember struggling for ages with the kraken on my first playthrough, but on my second run he was an easy win first fight. Same applied to Ness' Nightmare, and for contrast, on my second playthrough I recall Frank being stupidly more difficult than going through my first time.

It can all probably be explained through how I levelled. But that's the thing, M3's levelling is more consistent anyway. Most people are in the mid 40's by the end of chapter 7 (usually have to grind to about 50 if they're like me) for example.

Both are massively fun though haha.
Earthbound boss difficulty is random due to random AI. No matter how much you grind early on, Frank will be tough if he's feeling knife-happy.

Mr. ShinyUmbreon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0576-7060-3860
Mr. Genator is hell if you didn't get the rubber raincoats like I did on my first playthrough. Also, how has nobody mentioned the iron mecharilla? A.k.a the only reason "Smashing Song of Praise" exists

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Debuffs with Kuma turn the thing into a joke, even if you spam PK Thunder and short circuit it.

Mother 3's bosses all had certain strategies to beating them, which is a step up from Earthbound's bosses, but also makes them stupid easy if you know what to do. Barrier Trio especially becomes literally helpless when you spam Defense Down on them because they'll waste every turn re-raising their defense.

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
pokey actually gives a somewhat subtle hint while he taunts you during the final battle.
He only tells you to "beg someome with that telepathy", and I don't really relate "begging" with "praying". And let's be honest, who the heck would do something that idiot says?

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Hey Lucas boards! Haven't been here in a long time.

Anyway, I finally downloaded Mother 3. This game is great! The story, art, tone, and music are awesome. Interesting battle system, especially since you're able to save yourself despite mortal wounds.

Anyway, I just finished the scene where Flint defeats the Mecha-dino thing and now I'm playing as Duster.

...do I ever play as Lucas in this? Jeez...

C3CC

Smash Lord
I FINALLY BEAT EARTHBOUND.

GIYGAS YOU CAN GO SUCK IT IN MULTIPLE POSITIONS.

I once again found myself abusing the Wii U emulator to save turn after turn, an "ability" that came in handy when goddamn Giygas 1-hit-KO'd my entire party in one shot all of a sudden just because. I really hated this battle (and the entire "world") and I still think it's horribly designed. So sad they had to end such a masterpiece of a game with that piece of **** finale.

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
So yesterday I tried setting my C stick to special move just to see what it was like, and let me tell you, it makes wavebouncing PK Fire so stupidly easy that I can't go back.

Edit: Nah actually I went back.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hey Lucas boards! Haven't been here in a long time.

Anyway, I finally downloaded Mother 3. This game is great! The story, art, tone, and music are awesome. Interesting battle system, especially since you're able to save yourself despite mortal wounds.

Anyway, I just finished the scene where Flint defeats the Mecha-dino thing and now I'm playing as Duster.

...do I ever play as Lucas in this? Jeez...
Haha yeah it takes a surprisingly long time before you get to play as Lucas in M3, but to make up for it Lucas' chapters tend to be longer on average.

I FINALLY BEAT EARTHBOUND.

GIYGAS YOU CAN GO SUCK IT IN MULTIPLE POSITIONS.

I once again found myself abusing the Wii U emulator to save turn after turn, an "ability" that came in handy when goddamn Giygas 1-hit-KO'd my entire party in one shot all of a sudden just because. I really hated this battle (and the entire "world") and I still think it's horribly designed. So sad they had to end such a masterpiece of a game with that piece of **** finale.
It's a shame that it happened that way for you. Giygas has KO'd one or two of my party members at a time but this sounds like you just had hideous luck. He's usually a bit better than that, but I'm happy you beat the game anyway! :D

Also, I love that Undertale did an Earthbound and...

In the pacifist run allows you to go talk to every character in the game you befriended who now have changed lines of dialogue, often multiple times.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Damn. Mother 3 is far from an easy game. Playing with Salsa is not fun
Salsa you have to rely on combos to do anything other than hilariously insignificant damage to anything. That being said you can just rely on Fassad the whole time and just guard + heal yourself on the majority of hard fights. I'd say that chapter is very interesting in what it's trying to tell you about the story, certain characters, etc.

Keep updating us on this stuff, I love hearing your progress :D

C3CC

Smash Lord
It's a shame that it happened that way for you. Giygas has KO'd one or two of my party members at a time but this sounds like you just had hideous luck. He's usually a bit better than that, but I'm happy you beat the game anyway! :D

Also, I love that Undertale did an Earthbound and...

In the pacifist run allows you to go talk to every character in the game you befriended who now have changed lines of dialogue, often multiple times.
Yeah, it really sucked. I'm at a loss of words to express how much I loved and enjoyed this game... its story, its music, its characters. Pretty much everything. I'm just so disappointed with the final stage. It's a universe that really saddens me to see dead because Mr. Itoi doesn't want to continue it, and it's weird for me that no studio has approached him to ask for permission to make the series keep going.

I really did have bad luck. All of my party members (except Poo) were wearing Night Pendants, so I thought that'd save me, but no. Thankfully I was full on Horn of Lifes, Magic Tarts, Bottles of DXWater (or something like that) so I had no trouble healing.

By the way, can I continue my save file after getting the "The End" screen? Because I turned the console off and I appeared in the last place where I saved. Is this game like Paper Mario, where I just can't continue? That would be very sad, because that would mean I'm stuck in the past forever, since I can't use the machine Dr. Andonuts built to go back to Eagleland.

ilysm

sleepy
I heard we were talking about MOTHER bosses! I was super weird in going about the MOTHER games (read: a moron, to my recollection I almost never bought/used items and made it through most boss battles by the skin of my teeth) but none of the bosses really gave me too much of a problem. I had a tendency to not buy enough items, use them up all at once, fail to complete an area, and would then be forced to fight my way through said area with no items essentially limping out of every single fight and keeping my fingers crossed for a Magic Butterfly or something to make it to the next Lifeup opportunity. Now I'm playing Undertale with all the same bad habits and the bosses are kicking my teeth in (though the combat gameplay is a lot deeper and I'm loving the game to death so far).

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Salsa you have to rely on combos to do anything other than hilariously insignificant damage to anything. That being said you can just rely on Fassad the whole time and just guard + heal yourself on the majority of hard fights. I'd say that chapter is very interesting in what it's trying to tell you about the story, certain characters, etc.

Keep updating us on this stuff, I love hearing your progress :D
Lol, you missed some epic frustration from me when I was in Oshoe Castle. Sheet being bombarded by enemies ridiculously, I just decided to start running away from everything.

... until ghosts literally started appearing where I was running and blocking my path

That's when the inanimate objects, like the knight armor, started attacking which sent me into a fury lol. But of course, it's a suit of armor in a haunted castle so that was expected, sort of...

.... but that's when paintings on the wall started coming to life and attacking me, sending me into pure rage

... and finally, I tried to walk through a door when it came to life and attacked me, killing me easily. Complete frenzy.

... and this was all before getting whipped up by Mr. Passion

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Woah woah who is this HaKii guy from the Tourney Locator stream?

http://oddshot.tv/shot/tourneylocator-201512315418664

He won the set by the way.

Edit: He made it to game 3 of Grand Finals set 2 but lost. He did very well all things considered.
Holy **** fam,

Judging just based on the VOD of the set vs Awestin, I'm already so impressed by his play. A high degree of knowledge with Lucas and the specific matchup with Ness. I really liked the traps he put out with Ness offstage, putting out PK Freeze to force a low recovery, and covering the jump to ledge with d-smash. Smart, smart stuff.

BasedGamerAce

Smash Cadet
NNID
BasedGamerAce
Holy **** fam,

Judging just based on the VOD of the set vs Awestin, I'm already so impressed by his play. A high degree of knowledge with Lucas and the specific matchup with Ness. I really liked the traps he put out with Ness offstage, putting out PK Freeze to force a low recovery, and covering the jump to ledge with d-smash. Smart, smart stuff.
Yeah, this Lucas is doing some really interesting stuff. I'm watching game 1 of LF as I type this, and I already see the knowledge he has. Like using PKT2 on the ledge is something you wouldn't think would work, but it almost did game 1. One thing I did notice about his play (just going off of LF game 1) is that he was air-dodging a lot, for no reason. Maybe he was trying to cancel the air-dodge with zair, idk. But this Lucas player is really good either way. I hope to become as good (or better) with Lucas than he is. Once the vods go up on Youtube, I'll definitely be studying them.

On another note, PK Freeze is actually a really good trapping tool. I've started using it to force low recoveries, similar to HaKii. I feel like Lucas has a much easier time punishing low recoveries with Fair, Nair, Dsmash on ledge, PKT (Risky, but can work), and so on. This is one thing all Lucas mains should try to implement, at least as a mix-up.

Epok

Smash Ace
This just in guys: At Shockwave 62 last night, a Lucas player got second out of 130 people! He was amazing! We can make it. I believe his name was Haikii.

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
https://discord.gg/0a1SSXk7GKb54lLP

Hey guys, this is the link to the Ness and Lucas discord channel.

You can discuss anything here, including both characters' metagames and the EarthBound series in general.

Edit: I'm not sure if the Discord invite is temporary or permanent though.

Last edited:

7up1001

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seth7up

Mmm HaKii and this amazing string on Mew^2. He did so well in this tournament and almost won grand finals. I even learned some new things from him.

Hopefully he'll win the next one with Lucas!

Last edited:

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Finally got my hands on the only amiibo I will ever care about. Lucas will now be forever pointing his palm at me on my desk. <3

k-ta

Smash Cadet
NNID
shadowkyo
3DS FC
5284-1414-9946
I'm honestly amazed by how big of a deal Minecraft Wii U Edition is in Japan, especially when basically nobody outside of Japan cares about it.
Also pre-ordered a Lucas amiibo on Amazon :happysheep:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Dang this forum is dead. I'm heavily considering playing this character. Anything I should know? Between his buffs and HaKii inspiring me, I'm feeling like he's a solid character.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Dang this forum is dead. I'm heavily considering playing this character. Anything I should know? Between his buffs and HaKii inspiring me, I'm feeling like he's a solid character.
We're all saving up our energy for 20.4.2016.

Lucas is a solid character, and quite underrepresented competitively in my opinion. But you need to be more considerate with your playstyle than with other characters to be the most effective with him. His moveset allows for high octane aggression, but they are also more often than not punishable if not executed correctly or appropriately, as many of his aerials don't have the luxury of autocancelling. He can kill well, but not well enough, as most KO options are a bit on the slow side (grabs, smashes), though a nice safe spike is good.

You should anticipate having to learn to slow play the neutral with side-b and z-air spacing in order to get in, and then learn how to specifically follow up hits or grabs (with an emphasis on d-throw) you do manage to land afterwards, as for a character as floaty as Lucas, he has a pretty tantalizing combo game if you know exactly what your hitboxes are doing. Expect him to have trouble with fast punishing characters like Sheik, Fox, Sonic, or Greninja, but do well against heavyweights and big bodies, and go relatively even against everyone else. Spend some time learning his up-b recovery angles and (ridiculous) range, and familiarize yourself with using a z-air. Learn the range and speed of the tether grab, and don't be tempted to spam it. D-tilt follow ups are important too. There's all sorts of thread lying around here to help you with them if you need. Welcome to the Lucas family, and hopefully you last longer than certain other members ;D.

Last edited:

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Anything I should know?
Literally every single move in Lucas' toolset is worth using in a match, so long as you are smart about your mixups. Get familiar with his abilities, particularly how fast many of them come out, how long they stay out, and how quickly you can act out of them.

Top Bottom