• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Kangaexe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
onlykanga
3DS FC
2363-5649-9211
What don't you like about it, may I ask? I feel the pros greatly outweigh the cons of it.
Tethers in this game arent good at all. With top tiers being so fast and punish heavy missing a tether can result in a lot of pain. While you get range from a tether, Lucas' really isnt that long and takes some time to get max distance

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
On certain characters, Tether grabs are the main thing keeping them in check. This is certainly true of one Zero Suit - go check out Nairo's matches against ZeRo, where every time he got a grab he converted it into a metric tonne of damage, and yet every time he missed suddenly ZeRo swung things the total other way - it was clear that his grab was a high risk - high reward commitment, which ZSS needs in order to not be abusive.

On other characters, tether grabs have the right idea behind them - Samus has insane combos out of her throws, so does Lucas etc. - but other traits of the character have been toned down to the point where the tether leading to all those amazing things doesn't mean nearly as much as it should. On these characters, I agree with Beam that pivot grabs' awesome end-lag and range should be a thing again. It'd be a nice way to give those characters a less risky way to get their rewards in a situation where it doesn't over-power them.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup

Here, have a weird thing Pink Fresh told me to check out, already done it before but decided I'd record it, maybe it's useful.

Kind of Duster Sliding

Kenturo

Smash Cadet
Edit: Ok I figured it all out

Lucas can airdodge while double jumping from below the and land directly on to the stage with no landing lag whatsoever. To perform this you have to be below the ledge and relatively close to it.

1. Double jump towards the stage as if you want to land on it.

2. Airdodge at any point during your double jump(Not required as you can perform this without the airdodge)

3. Use zair as you as approaching the top of the ledge(I used the blue and white line on smashville to tell me when to time it)

4. You will land with no lag and if you are holding zair you will immediately shield on the stage.

Last edited:

Kangaexe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
onlykanga
3DS FC
2363-5649-9211
On certain characters, Tether grabs are the main thing keeping them in check. This is certainly true of one Zero Suit - go check out Nairo's matches against ZeRo, where every time he got a grab he converted it into a metric tonne of damage, and yet every time he missed suddenly ZeRo swung things the total other way - it was clear that his grab was a high risk - high reward commitment, which ZSS needs in order to not be abusive.

On other characters, tether grabs have the right idea behind them - Samus has insane combos out of her throws, so does Lucas etc. - but other traits of the character have been toned down to the point where the tether leading to all those amazing things doesn't mean nearly as much as it should. On these characters, I agree with Beam that pivot grabs' awesome end-lag and range should be a thing again. It'd be a nice way to give those characters a less risky way to get their rewards in a situation where it doesn't over-power them.
While Lucas' out of throw game is strong other characters like Ness have that too with the less risky grab, the only thing that Lucas has that makes his grab good and worth the risk is kill throws. Just wish Samus and the Links had some good kill set ups out of grab that kill early, itd help them a lot

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
While Lucas' out of throw game is strong other characters like Ness have that too with the less risky grab, the only thing that Lucas has that makes his grab good and worth the risk is kill throws. Just wish Samus and the Links had some good kill set ups out of grab that kill early, itd help them a lot
If Samus got something like that, I'd play a lot more of her. Her airspeed and lackluster defense in the air kills me, though.
Good points all around. I honestly think Ness might be the better character on paper, because of things like his grab. Still maining Lucas instead of him, though. Lucas feels 2gud.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Anyone got any tips for wavebouncing with PK Fire? My other mains Dedede and Palutena don't really benefit from wavebouncing, so I never learned how. Now that my boy Lucas is back, I need to learn how to wavebounce. From what I've seen, wavebouncing is critical to mastering Lucas's neutral game.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Wavebouncing is a passive effect that Lucas' PKF generates, it's more about having the momentum in effect so that it actually takes effect. Notice how PKF pushes Lucas back slightly. Run in a direction (or just SH in a direction), SH PKF the way you came from, notice how far you go, feel how much safer the move is as a result and congrats, you're wavebouncing like a pro. <3

B-reversing PKF is a bit harder though. I can't wait till I get back to my wii U so that I don't have to rely on the 3DS circle pad to try and B-reverse it :p

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
just played on for glory with lucas, got a awesome Jablock on a Roy (DThrow and Footstool sheganigans) on his last stock at low procent, finished the jab lock with a Sidesmash out the stage and killed Roy with Sweetspotted DAir <3

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
PK Freeze is so good and cool i love that it has so many uses like
-Covering Rolls
-PK Freeze chains
-Huge amount of damage if you PKT2
-Little Lag
- Good spacing tool
- And even punish airdodges!
Is overall a great move and a cool way to represent the ice element in smash bros

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah I actually use PK Freeze in my long-range gameplan now. It's like... A significantly threatening long range projectile which is just boss.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
I was finally able to purchase the second DLC bundle! I'm able to play as Lucas, now.

Waterwraith

Smash Cadet
I got all the DLC characters and Lucas surprised me by being my favorite one to play as by far. Huh.

I'm still trying to figure him out but he's REALLY fun to use.

Kangaexe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
onlykanga
3DS FC
2363-5649-9211
PK Freeze is so good and cool i love that it has so many uses like
-Covering Rolls
-PK Freeze chains
-Huge amount of damage if you PKT2
-Little Lag
- Good spacing tool
- And even punish airdodges!
Is overall a great move and a cool way to represent the ice element in smash bros
PK Freeze can be a good tool for mind games off stage and can lead into some traps by forcing ari dodges/jumps. It also has the ability to pressure from the other side of the stage, although iv never gotten much off of doing that.

skeletonboxers

Smash Cadet
NNID
tabster123
3DS FC
4983-5230-3260
Hey I kinda went on a small hiatus here but I'm back and to reiterate everyone here, Lucas is jus t so much more fun than Ness. Still wish he had a more reliable grab and an autocancel, but we can cross our fingers for a patch with one and/or the other.

Anyway I quickly made one of these last night:

I still love this meme, so I had to make one for Lucas now that he's actually in Smash 4.
(of course i don't ACTUALLY think he's a clone, but that's what everyone who doesn't know much about Lucas thinks, so...)

Last edited:

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Hey I kinda went on a small hiatus here but I'm back and to reiterate everyone here, Lucas is jus t so much more fun than Ness. Still wish he had a more reliable grab and an autocancel, but we can cross our fingers for a patch with one and/or the other.

Anyway I quickly made one of these last night:

I still love this meme, so I had to make one for Lucas now that he's actually in Smash 4.
(of course i don't ACTUALLY think he's a clone, but that's what everyone who doesn't know much about Lucas thinks, so...)
That's pretty funny. Made me smile x]
I'm sure lots of people would disagree with you saying he's not a clone. Definitions of the word "clone" differ when it comes to this game from player to player, it's important to remember that.

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, never getting notifications for this thread for some reason. perhaps smashboards knows I stopped playing Lucas :urg: I'm sorry!

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I've been playing so much Lucas since he came out. Other than his grab I feel like he is really solid. Also super fun, which is all that really matters in the end imo.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
So um i was playing Marth for the fun of it and i was against a Lucas and then this happened
I died of laughter when i saw it lmao

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Hey Lucasboards. Haven't checked in in a while. Been working on my Dark Pit.

Have we learned anything new about Lucas?

I'm loving the PK Freeze. Using it as awesome bait to force approaches. Nothing is better than sending it outwards than bringing it back on top of Lucas to catch your opponent in a freeze right when they thought the coast was clear. I didn't play Lucas in Brawl, but I would've never thought I would be so accurate and efficient with PK Freeze.

Still not landing very many USmash setups. Seems like everyone gets them on me more than I get them with it.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Tethers in this game arent good at all. With top tiers being so fast and punish heavy missing a tether can result in a lot of pain. While you get range from a tether, Lucas' really isnt that long and takes some time to get max distance
Really only ZSS's dash tether is good. Lucas's is pretty pitiful. Really can't even use your grab for punish off shield, which renders it pretty much to situational mix-ups when you haven't used it in a long time.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
i just found out that Lucas' usmash voicing is reused for his Ore Club smash attack.
and i honestly dont know what to feel.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
i just found out that Lucas' usmash voicing is reused for his Ore Club smash attack.
and i honestly dont know what to feel.
Thats weird af!
Then again Lucas has Ness's standing animation when holding a tiny item

It looks like Lucas's Nair true combos To something when only landing The last hit
Weird

Last edited by a moderator:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
There's also some sneaky stuff with FF Nair non last hit into the ground and immediately Utilt, although it's not guaranteed I don't think.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
There's something unnaturally satisfying about gimping a Ness' or another Lucas' recovery with Magnet, or even by using my own PKT to stop theirs. Honestly it shouldn't be that satisfying, as it's pretty much the equivalent of knocking the crutches out from under a crippled man who's trying to get up, but it just feels good pulling it off against people who are lax with their recoveries and think I'm too afraid of their PKT2 to go down there.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
There's also some sneaky stuff with FF Nair non last hit into the ground and immediately Utilt, although it's not guaranteed I don't think.
It's a good mix-up option. Once they're conditioned to avoid the attack you throw out, start pivot grabbing them when they shield. Also, if you can land D-Tilt or Jab out of it, you can set up for a grab regardless which is nice.

TIR, Lucas' PK Fire can break super armour XD :p
????

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
PK Freeze chains are amazing... How many frames does the opponent have before doing anything when he/she gets unfrozen?
Also PK Fire having two hitboxes is awesome, we can stop powerful projectiles like Charge Shot or Shadow Ball
Also Ryu cant use Down B on it:secretkpop:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
PK Freeze chains are amazing... How many frames does the opponent have before doing anything when he/she gets unfrozen?
Also PK Fire having two hitboxes is awesome, we can stop powerful projectiles like Charge Shot or Shadow Ball
Also Ryu cant use Down B on it:secretkpop:
I believe they can move on the first frame after frozen, lol. Didn't know PK Fire stops projectiles, though. I usually use Z-Air for that.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
I believe they can move on the first frame after frozen, lol. Didn't know PK Fire stops projectiles, though. I usually use Z-Air for that.
Oh wow ok, didnt knew that :p
And Yeah it does and Z-Air doesnt stop fully charged projectiles so hooray PK Fire <3
Also if we want to autocancel Nair,Uair,Fair,Bair we have to pick Lylat :v

Last edited:
Top Bottom