• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
You guys are right, Mother 3 is pretty ballin'.
I'm having a HARD time with the rhythms though, it might be an emulator problem or that I don't have PSI hypnosis yet

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I'm having a HARD time with the rhythms though, it might be an emulator problem or that I don't have PSI hypnosis yet
you can also use Duster's hypno pendulum

the rythm system isn't nessecary to beat the game, tho.
don't worry, you'll get it down :)

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Supposedly emulators do have a bit of a problem with the rhythm system.

Also I noticed that Villager's grab got frame data buffs. So I guess Lucas gets the honor of worst grab in the game after all :(

Peppa

NNID
ThePeppa
you can also use Duster's hypno pendulum

the rythm system isn't nessecary to beat the game, tho.
don't worry, you'll get it down :)
I haven't got too far lol, but I knew about the rhythm system due to that rumor floating around Lucas did more damage with pummel with the right rhythm.

Last edited:

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Hello, everyone. I'm back from a bit of a leave. Lucas is definitely my favorite character to use by now, and I feel that I've gotten quite good with him, so far.

But, I would like to bring up a question: if Mother 3, nay, when, gotta keep up that positive attitude, when Mother 3 is released internationally, and assuming akin to Mother 1 Nintendo decides to give it a name of "Earthbound x", what do you think it will be? The first thing that comes to me is "Earthbound Aftermath", but I wanted to hear you peoples's opinions as well.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
I haven't got too far lol, but I knew about the rhythm system due to that rumor floating around Lucas did more damage with pummel with the right rhythm.
You guys are seriously motivating me to sit down and marathon finish Earthbound. I hear it has an absolutely amazing climax/ending, I'm looking forward to it.

Time to line up a few powerbars and red bulls. Fuzzy pickles!

Peppa

NNID
ThePeppa
Its too bad being part of the Smash scene I've heard who dies and what happens over time, but I'm still playing it. For anything else, the humor is just amazing.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
It's not coming together at all. Not doing well with PK Fire and his aerials are awful for spacing.

Schiffe

PK Love
NNID
Schiffe
It's not coming together at all. Not doing well with PK Fire and his aerials are awful for spacing.
His FAir is very disjointed and can push shielding opponents at a safe distance when sweetspotted.

Although, as a Lucas main, mastering PK Fire (PK Backfire) is a necessity. It's your very best bet for safe and reliable spacing when used in a way that pushes you back when in the air

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
You always want to use wavebounce or retreating momentum PK Fire, otherwise it won't be a safe option if they powershield it.

As for his spacing, it's better to space with PK Fire and Zair rather than his aerials, as none of them autocancel when short hopped.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I always wavebounce PK Fire, I do it without even thinking about it.

Mainly having bad luck with approaching zair. It's really punishable if it misses. And I'm used to playing as Greninja, who's constantly retreating very slightly to space shurikens and forward air, but with Lucas all that does is give up ground that you can't easily take back.

GalaxyWaffles

Smash Apprentice
Ok so how exactly am I supposed to be playing Lucas? Ive been playing him since his release and have been in the lab constantly but I don't understand his playstyle. It's not as defined as other characters. Am I supoosed to be aggresive, defensive or both? Hit & run?

It's just not coming together sigh.

So far he's cool though. His moveset (with the exception of a few moves) is pretty good solid 7.7/10 and he has a lot of stuff going for him but his cons are what really break him. I cant take the endlag and grab. It's horrendous and the lack of range makes me want to rage.

&& have any of you encountered the issue of zair not coming out but a different move like nair or fair when trying to recover?

I see him being a solid mid tier (high-mid to be exact).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Ok so how exactly am I supposed to be playing Lucas? Ive been playing him since his release and have been in the lab constantly but I don't understand his playstyle. It's not as defined as other characters. Am I supoosed to be aggresive, defensive or both? Hit & run?

It's just not coming together sigh.

So far he's cool though. His moveset (with the exception of a few moves) is pretty good solid 7.7/10 and he has a lot of stuff going for him but his cons are what really break him. I cant take the endlag and grab. It's horrendous and the lack of range makes me want to rage.

&& have any of you encountered the issue of zair not coming out but a different move like nair or fair when trying to recover?

I see him being a solid mid tier (high-mid to be exact).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
i think lucas can do both offensive and defensive, just neither particularly well.
PKF and Zair are safe spacing tools but on the other hand he can do aggressive too.

pivot grab got terribly nerfed, don't use that or dash grab unless you absolutely have to.
imo sourspot Zair or Jab2 cancel is the best way to get a grab, bar a hard (shield) read.

try not to zair out of hitstun (e.g. DJ Zair), but if you have to then input zair twice, don't mash it, the first will buffer an airdodge and the second will interrupt the airdodge.

if you're getting a fair or a nair then the Z input is probably being treated as an attack input, in which case buffer an airdodge and zair out of that.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone had any luck doing down tilt jab lock on techable knockdowns? I always forget to do it.

I don't think pivot grab is entirely useless. As a mixup it's no good, but baiting a landing or trying to punish an approach it has uses.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
dtilt does not lock anymore, at least i don't think it does.
sourspot ftilt is one of our only moves that can lock and we can't set up locks nearly as well as we could in brawl. it could happen, like in the 0-death that's going to get patched in 1.0.9, but there's not much potential.

Last edited:

Peppa

NNID
ThePeppa
Sup fellas
I loved you bringing that Lucas out against Ally. I was surprised at some of his options he choose, seemed like he could've done some rising dairs to beat out your nair before the jabs and such, but it was new for him. I tried watching your tutorial but the music was just so damn loud:happysheep:

On a semi-related note, I'm going to a regional Saturday and I have been doing nothing but playing Lucas but I'm not really sure my Lucas is tourney ready but my other characters have definitely suffered. #smashworldproblems

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Sorry, haven't been active here for a while. Been using Lucas a lot since his release, he's a lot of fun. Main for sure.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Got Earthbound Beginnings!
Now Mother 3 please.

Kangaexe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
onlykanga
3DS FC
2363-5649-9211
Its 90% an Emulator thing.
You can get use to the timing of it but youll have to figure out when to press the button, although itd speed up some fights it wont generally help in late game bosses when youre using so much PSI :p

Kangaexe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
onlykanga
3DS FC
2363-5649-9211
You always want to use wavebounce or retreating momentum PK Fire, otherwise it won't be a safe option if they powershield it.

As for his spacing, it's better to space with PK Fire and Zair rather than his aerials, as none of them autocancel when short hopped.
Lucas' Zair isnt that safe, id recommend only using it situationally

Kangaexe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
onlykanga
3DS FC
2363-5649-9211
I don't do badly against ROB, but I can't KO the robot at all. Too safe for me.
IMO Ness/Lucas have a good time against ROB. The key things you need to do are reflect his Gyro with the bat (which is easy with Lucas' fast FSmash), try and read his Laser and use it to heal (this might take a game or two to get the hang off but if you can take onto his Laser habits you can get a good heal off it) and make sure you abuse his slow recovery. This is very important to get early kills. Literally 90% of things Lucas does in the air make a decent edge guard, this can lead to LOTS of mix ups.

For example:

You come at the ROB with your back facing him, making it seem like youre going to Bair him, as he tries to avoid it you can either punish on reaction or go for a read. With Lucas' disjointed hitboxes you can punish ROB for going beneath you, and with his fast UAir you can punish him for rising!

To sum it up basically if you want the kill id recommend pressuring the ROB off stage and just strike fear into his little robot heart

(or just pk thunder)

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
you can camp rob, just fsmash his gyro, grab it, run away and hold out magnet.
at mid range or further watch for the laser animation and either shield, fsmash or magnet it.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Lucas' Zair isnt that safe, id recommend only using it situationally
I completely disagree. I use it frequently (to the point where I've mapped my X button to the grab/tether command) and I find it to be a very safe poking tool if you space it correctly. If they try to punish a well spaced Zair, the move's negligible landing lag allows you to cover yourself with a jab, shield, or simply back off.

Also, keep in mind that if you use Zair as you are falling from a short hop rather than rising, you'll be open for less time and it will still cover its amazing full range while maintaining the minimal landing lag. Retreating Zair is also quite safe.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
zair also does set up jabs, ftilts and grabs, but admittedly you have to compromise some spacing in order to try this.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I finally decided to update because I'm a butt and can't wait for homebrew.

at first I was like "wow Lucas sucks disappoint"

but now omg I love Lucas

@ Jigglystep Jigglystep tell me everything I need to know because I haven't really kept up with anything since his release <3

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I finally decided to update because I'm a butt and can't wait for homebrew.

at first I was like "wow Lucas sucks disappoint"

but now omg I love Lucas

@ Jigglystep Jigglystep tell me everything I need to know because I haven't really kept up with anything since his release <3
Don't use PKT1 much, it's got 3 seconds of end lag, nair doesnt do much damage, and you can't shorthop anything without landing lag.

PK Fire is your friend.

Top Bottom