• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
You wouldn't mind tossing a link or the name to that stream would you? I don't know where to find it and I want to see if I can view it in the past broadcasts. [I'm really new to watching smash stuff on twitch.]

------

Also those silhouettes are amazing! Especially the taunt, grab, and up smash ones. Needs more Claus colors.
Heres the channel! http://www.twitch.tv/events2compete
Find the latest broadcast and skip to 12:02:00 when NAKAT brought out:4lucas:

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I love Lucas so much.

Mother 3 quickly became one of my favorite video games I ever played and so maining Lucas once he came out was second nature to me.

He's even on his way dethroning Wario as my main in smash, which is saying a lot, because I main the fat man sice Brawl, day 1.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Hey guys, I posted a full list of characters that are susceptible to the Dthrow --> Usmash true combo and their percents on the Combo thread. I'll get the Miis later, but go check it out!

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
I know this will be sacrilege to say here, but I'm going to go download Mother 3 tonight and give it a shot.
I really didn't care for Earthbound's combat system, I know its the same, but it was funny as hell. Maybe a second chance will make me see it in a new light, I feel like I need to play my main's game

DarkDrifloon

Smash Cadet
NNID
NintenNessDerek
I know this will be sacrilege to say here, but I'm going to go download Mother 3 tonight and give it a shot.
I really didn't care for Earthbound's combat system, I know its the same, but it was funny as hell. Maybe a second chance will make me see it in a new light, I feel like I need to play my main's game
I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed c:

Last edited:

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
Can any of you guys encourage me to finish Mother 3? I'm stuck at the Trio, so I'm pretty much near the end of the game. It's been one of my favorite games of all time already and I haven't even finished it, that's how much I love it. When I have to level grind for bosses, I generally stop playing that game altogether for a few years, and I don't want to do that here. I want to finish this and play Earthbound next. This series is truly one of the best there are.

On a related note, how is Lucas coming along for you guys? I tend to have trouble using the Magnet and Zair effectively, but I love playing as him. Hopefully I can get him up to the level my Zelda is on.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this is fantastic. What did you use to make these? I just got Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign certified, but I'm nowhere near creative enough to do stuff like that. Ehehe... I really wish there were someone like you in the Snake Support thread. People there would absolutely adore some stuff in this style featuring Snake.

Hey, guys. Don't want to hijack this thread, so here's a question for you. I'm having a ton of trouble reliably killing with bair. It feels amazing when I nail it, like slam dunking a basketball, but I'm not sure where the spike starts/ends. I play against a really good Toon Link a lot, and being able to down throw into bair for the kill would make his jaw drop.

Side note, who are you guys supporting for the polls? Why? I'm not against any character, seems like all the top runners would be really interesting. Being able to paint the stage with an Inkling for stage control, Wonder Red's unite morphs... And of course Snake. The only character I really don't get, is KKR. Maybe it's because I've never played many DK games growing up.

Feel free to yell at me to edit out any of this. I'm still pretty new to this forum. Don't wanna hijack the Lucas is Amazing and Great thread with my wandering train of thought. Seriously guys, Lucas is the only character I've really enjoyed in this game besides Shulk, Gren, and Villager. Glad he made it back. <3

RE-DAZ

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I posted a full list of characters that are susceptible to the Dthrow --> Usmash true combo and their percents on the Combo thread. I'll get the Miis later, but go check it out!
You should post the link for us :)

You wouldn't mind tossing a link or the name to that stream would you? I don't know where to find it and I want to see if I can view it in the past broadcasts. [I'm really new to watching smash stuff on twitch.]

------

Also those silhouettes are amazing! Especially the taunt, grab, and up smash ones. Needs more Claus colors.
It was the first stream at the Smashboards home page, events2compete on twitch; that was it

Last edited:

Myed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
13sora
3DS FC
1306-7973-7040
*snip*
Hey, guys. Don't want to hijack this thread, so here's a question for you. I'm having a ton of trouble reliably killing with bair. It feels amazing when I nail it, like slam dunking a basketball, but I'm not sure where the spike starts/ends. I play against a really good Toon Link a lot, and being able to down throw into bair for the kill would make his jaw drop.

Side note, who are you guys supporting for the polls? Why? I'm not against any character, seems like all the top runners would be really interesting. Being able to paint the stage with an Inkling for stage control, Wonder Red's unite morphs... And of course Snake. The only character I really don't get, is KKR. Maybe it's because I've never played many DK games growing up.

Feel free to yell at me to edit out any of this. I'm still pretty new to this forum. Don't wanna hijack the Lucas is Amazing and Great thread with my wandering train of thought. Seriously guys, Lucas is the only character I've really enjoyed in this game besides Shulk, Gren, and Villager. Glad he made it back. <3

Thats what the spike looks like on his bair. Just practice spacing it so youll hit them with the tip, youll get a feel for it.

I personally voted for Porky. He as a character would really summarize the themes of Mother:
-He's absurd and silly as shown through his dialogue and how he fights at the beginning of Earthbound.
-He's creepy and terrifying as a servant of Giygas, and later as Pig Hitler.
-He's tragic and depressing in that his wrongdoings is merely a result of poor parenting and a lack of friends.

And of course an excuse to bring New Pork as a stage and Porky means Business! as a track doesnt hurt.

It may be a pipe dream ever since Lucas came out, but Brawls Star Fox lineup gives me hope.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766

Thats what the spike looks like on his bair. Just practice spacing it so youll hit them with the tip, youll get a feel for it.

I personally voted for Porky. He as a character would really summarize the themes of Mother:
-He's absurd and silly as shown through his dialogue and how he fights at the beginning of Earthbound.
-He's tragic and depressing in that his wrongdoings is merely a result of poor parenting and a lack of friends.

And of course an excuse to bring New Pork as a stage and Porky means Business! as a track doesnt hurt.

It may be a pipe dream ever since Lucas came out, but Brawls Star Fox lineup gives me hope.
Ive been able to get the spike at the top and bottom of the arc

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand the King K Rool fixation either. He's such an ugly and bland-looking character.

It's tough working in Magnet in non-projectile matchups outside of stalling. PK Thunder is actually useful when they're in a disadvantage state, since you can hit them twice with it and if they're close, it might combo into PKT2, which does absurd damage and KO's off the top earlier than you might think. PK Freeze is good too, even in neutral just for long range harassment. It's big payoff for little risk unless your opponent is already running at you.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
STILL haven't gotten Lucas yet (hopefully in a few hours I'll have him), but I'm pretty sure as long as the tip of the foot connects, it's a spike through the entire arc?

It's easier on Lucas' end to magnet Ness than vice versa, although with that reduced magnet lag it might not be a significant enough factor to make any difference. To be honest I think you need to compare their neutral games, because they'll both be combo-ing each other around the place, they'll both be juggling one another, they'll both be going for magnet edge-guards when they can, etc.

Lord Retardus

Smash Cadet
I think it's very important to note that Ness has a really good anti-juggle tool in his Nair. That means that he's a little less susceptible to combos than Lucas may be.

On the other hand, though, Ness has zero ways to stop an attack from below bar airdodging thanks to having one of the most underwhelming Dairs in the game, whereas Lucas has a far superior option to avoid attacks from underneath in his. It's probably a fairly equal matchup, all things considered, and as Luco said I think the major decider will be their neutral.

On an only tangeniently related note, kazoos!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think it's very important to note that Ness has a really good anti-juggle tool in his Nair. That means that he's a little less susceptible to combos than Lucas may be.

On the other hand, though, Ness has zero ways to stop an attack from below bar airdodging thanks to having one of the most underwhelming Dairs in the game, whereas Lucas has a far superior option to avoid attacks from underneath in his. It's probably a fairly equal matchup, all things considered, and as Luco said I think the major decider will be their neutral.

On an only tangeniently related note, kazoos!

Ness Uair's ridiculous hitbox can practically do the job of hitting people below him.

Lord Retardus

Smash Cadet
Speaking of which, why is the hitbox for Lucas's so much smaller? It's really starting to annoy me how many times I've whiffed it while going for the kill.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice

Hey, thanks a ton for this diagram. I'll keep practicing keeping this in mind, maybe it'll really click for me. Hello and slam.
I actually am in the middle of playing Earthbound. I'm not that far in, just saved that one town from zombies, so I dunno much about what Porky will become. The music in the game is fantastic, and the quirky writing and tone of the game really makes it I think. There's a lot to the battle system that modern RPG's could take from. The rolling meter, and especially automatically winning battles if you're a much higher level than the enemy. Seriously, as a huge JRPG/RPG fan, It's hard to go back to playing others after feeling how convenient that is.

Ah, forgot to mention. I know it's literally the longest shot ever, but with the New 3DS having more processing power (Oh yeah, it shows. Load times for Kid Icarus and Monster Hunter 4 are insane now) I'm freaking praying for Ice Climbers.

Can't wait to start in on Mother 3 and learn all about where Lucas comes from.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Lucas does a great job of gimping Mario and Luigi's fireball approach. If they follow right behind their fireball, you can PK Magnet for heal and turn it off for the damage and knockback at almost the same exact time. Really hurts their approach options and easy to punish.

Flamjam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flamjam
Just had a tournament yesterday, used pretty much no one but Lucas (I was too out of practise with anyone else). Came 13th out of 45 entrants… It’s gonna be interesting what the future will hold. :D

Speaking of which, why is the hitbox for Lucas's so much smaller? It's really starting to annoy me how many times I've whiffed it while going for the kill.
Probably because Ness doesn’t have something that directly combos into it at a killing percentage! May be a fair trade-off.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I'm getting a better feel for Lucas now, beating lvl 8s two stock 80 percent of the time. Woot! I'm sad by how I'm not using Bair often.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
I'm getting a better feel for Lucas now, beating lvl 8s two stock 80 percent of the time. Woot! I'm sad by how I'm not using Bair often.
I know your feel. Bair's are tough.
You can actually chain them out of Dthrow, and it's a cool mixup there. I think it's a solid move, I'm just not great at landing the meteor yet.

A fine gentleman posted this above, and it's really helped me nail my bairs. I advise you to head into training and turn up the slowmo. It helped me. I spiked a Mac by waiting next to the ledge and chaining a Dthrow into bair for the kill. It was the most satisfying thing I've ever done in this game, besides a JV3 with Shulk a long time ago.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Hey guys, I just finished up putting together a video highlighting Lucas's F-air jab lock setup.

I hope this can help some of you out! It's definitely something to consider implementing into your game.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Yeah, I thought I gained the feel for the spike, but I've more frequently succeeded in sour spot Bair to rising dair for spikes. I guess more lab practice is needed. I dream of getting that double Bair from one of the posted combo videos.

Schiffe

PK Love
NNID
Schiffe
Yo! Me and @Aerodrome just finished compilling the (almost) entire moveset of Lucas with frame data & stuff. Click here to read more about it!

This is all verified information and can be found in Lucas's data files themselves. The only thing we've been unable to locate are the PK moves (Freeze, Fire, Thunder 1). Hope y'all know better about our boy!

Last edited:

Lord Retardus

Smash Cadet
Handy. I had no clue that the pivot grab came out at exactly the same time as the standing one. Is there any reason to use it then?

Also, did I read right? Can f-tilt be angled?

Token523

Smash Rookie
hey I just got done playing this awesome player by the name of Snipes. His Lucas was solid but we went head to head a bunch. My name is Token and I was a Ness main I'd love to learn some stuff from you

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Hey guys, I just finished up putting together a video highlighting Lucas's F-air jab lock setup.

I hope this can help some of you out! It's definitely something to consider implementing into your game.
aww this is amazing!
the first thing I did after watching this....was to write this short message, then I went to the lab immediatly after!

AWAYYY!

Kangaexe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
onlykanga
3DS FC
2363-5649-9211
Handy. I had no clue that the pivot grab came out at exactly the same time as the standing one. Is there any reason to use it then?

Also, did I read right? Can f-tilt be angled?
F-Tilt can be angled yes, and like a lot of tethers in this game pivoting them can be a much safer option then just simply going for the simple run up grab.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I had a great one in Brawl where my brother and I were both Lucas on YIs, I was trying to edge-guards him offstage and got 3 sourspot Bairs and then killed with PKT1. This reminded me of that for some reason :p

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I just tripped a Diddy with his own banana and landed a hoo hah for the win! It felt soooo good.

The first stock was pretty awesome too. I took his rocket barrels away with a pk thunder but they managed to make it back on to the stage and blow up in my face resulting in a double ko =P

Top Bottom