• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
He doesn't need any changes, he's probably going to remain the same (in terms of moves) if he comes back as DLC.
I could see this happen, but at the same time Ness's customs are pretty much Lucas's old specials. I wouldn't be against him keeping his old moves, but it would feel a bit redundant imo.

awesumsauce1

Smash Rookie
I could see this happen, but at the same time Ness's customs are pretty much Lucas's old specials. I wouldn't be against him keeping his old moves, but it would feel a bit redundant imo.
I agree, but the issue with Ness having Lucas's specials as customs is that you can't use them online. If Lucas came back at least his specials become more available.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Lucas really needs to be majorly buffed in order to be competitively viable, though.
Considering how Ness was considerably buffed, I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas returned packing quite a punch.

Either way, I'd still play him, even if he was bad. Never really cared for tier lists and the likes (looking at you, Pokémon!).

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Having Lucas back would be wonderful. He is different enough from Ness to warrant his own slot and would bring another type of fighter for those who want a different take on Ness' gameplay.

Considering that Lucas is a fan favorite in the East, then we can safely assume that Lucas will be back.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I agree, but the issue with Ness having Lucas's specials as customs is that you can't use them online. If Lucas came back at least his specials become more available.
You're both forgetting about A moves.

Sure, Ness has Lucas's specials as customs, but their A moves remain quite different.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
You're both forgetting about A moves.

Sure, Ness has Lucas's specials as customs, but their A moves remain quite different.
Same case with Wolf and Fox. Now that I think about it, Wolf and Lucas have a lot in common when considering their relation to original counterparts.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Aside from maybe a more useful PK Freeze, all Lucas really needs is buffs on his standard attacks. His design is extremely well-made, but his attacks just weren't strong enough in Brawl aside from up- and down-smash, both of which could be to slow. So basically stat-changes and buffs would be enough to fix Lucas should e come back as DLC.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Where's the source for Lucas being a fan-favorite in the east?
I was wondering the same.

Lucas seems pretty well loved by the western EarthBound crowd, but since MOTHER 3 is recieved rather controversially in the east, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't too well liked there.

That aside, how well is Lucas liked by the Smash Bros crowd? While I've enjoyed Smash Bros since the first game, I've only recently joined these forums and started interacting with other fans.
Though I've got the feeling the EarthBound characters might not be the most well liked ones, having spammable projectiles, odd/unreliable recovery, shout the names of their moves when using them and are usually rather low on the tier lists.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Cough....Cough Marth :marthmelee::marth::4marth:
Why can't lucas be like Marth :'(
Also If some one can turn this:

into an icon similar to this :4ness: I will cry many happy tears that thing will be in my sig so quickly :'D
:4ness: :4ness: :4ness::4ness:

Last edited:

Grovbi

Smash Rookie
Lucas is my favorite fighter in Brawl, and was my 2nd most wanted character to return (now 1st). I would love for him to come back as DLC.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Lucas was one of my favourite characters to use in Brawl. If he doesn't come back I'm quitting Sm4sh and going back to Project M

(but seriously he better come back)

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
My concern with any DLC characters is not will or time, it's money. The additional time to develop each character will cost loads. This is why I find those whining about having to pay for DLC extremely annoying. I want Lucas and the others back, but I think Nintendo might not think it's worth it.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I think Lucas and Wolf are on good terms for DLC. And while they need something hype and new like Mewtwo in the front lines, Lucas or Wolf (maybe Ivysaur or Squirtle too?) could go on the side on nice DLC packs.
Damnit Nintendo, your DLC stuff is too good and you are spoiling me...

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I think out of all the characters, the ones who were in before and got cut have the best chance of being DLC since they already have an in-Smash fanbase. Lucas, Wolf, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Snake, and Ice Climbers also have data from Brawl, which could work in their favor. I doubt Snake for now since it was a rights issue, and Ivysaur and Squirtle I have a hard time seeing as standalone, even if I prefer both of them to Charizard. I actually had an idea on Ice Climbers- they could be made to function so Popo is the only playable one with Nana as a costume, AND the Wii U version could give you the option to use both in their normal manner.

I'd say Lucas and Wolf have the highest chances. Wolf would shock me if he wasn't DLC. Lucas I'm a bit more wary about with Mother 3 getting mixed reception in Japan, Mother being a tiny series, and Lucas not being on the same popularity level as others who didn't make the cut, but he stands a chance. Heck, Sakurai has been trying to add him since Melee. Maybe Sakurai bias will help us win the day.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I was wondering the same.

Lucas seems pretty well loved by the western EarthBound crowd, but since MOTHER 3 is recieved rather controversially in the east, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't too well liked there.

That aside, how well is Lucas liked by the Smash Bros crowd? While I've enjoyed Smash Bros since the first game, I've only recently joined these forums and started interacting with other fans.
Though I've got the feeling the EarthBound characters might not be the most well liked ones, having spammable projectiles, odd/unreliable recovery, shout the names of their moves when using them and are usually rather low on the tier lists.
I think if it wasn't for the broken throws in brawl, Ness and Lucas could have ranked a lot higher on the tier list.
and unreliable recovery you say..? only for noobs.. with a little practice Lucas could come back from the depths of hell pretty much in my experience..

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I think if it wasn't for the broken throws in brawl, Ness and Lucas could have ranked a lot higher on the tier list.
and unreliable recovery you say..? only for noobs.. with a little practice Lucas could come back from the depths of hell pretty much in my experience..
What I'm saying is that it's uncontroversial.
Most people playing Ness/Lucas for the first time without any knowledge of how their recovery works will likely SD. Once they figure it out, most would probably still view it as something offputting.

But what I'm asking is: How well is Lucas liked in the Smash community? The points I've already made aside, I hear some people have gripes with how Lucas acted in SSE (not knowing it mirrors his portrayal in MOTHER 3).

Shaymikyu

I've always liked Ness, but I never played as him in the first two games because I could never figure out PK Thunder. Lucas started out similarly, but I was so determined to main him that I learned. It only took a couple of days, too.

I still can recover pretty easily with Ness in SSB4, too. It doesn't go away once you've learned it.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I have to agree here Lucas has the highest recovery in the game due to that double jump taking affect :)

PK-FuzzyPickles

Smash Rookie
Okay so maybe EarthBound/Mother aren't exactly the most famous series, and Mother 3 is a Japanese exclusive.
But, the game itself does have a crazed fanbase (which I am a part of), and I know for a fact that Lucas is dearly missed. If he returns, he'd need new specials, because Ness's customs are basically Lucas's.
probably a good thing, considering he learned absolutely none of them in Mother 3, anyway. Might as well have put Kumatora in instead ._.'
Hm, that idea would appeal to me.. if, y'know, Lucas wasn't my favourite video game character of all time...

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Okay so maybe EarthBound/Mother aren't exactly the most famous series, and Mother 3 is a Japanese exclusive.
But, the game itself does have a crazed fanbase (which I am a part of), and I know for a fact that Lucas is dearly missed. If he returns, he'd need new specials, because Ness's customs are basically Lucas's.
probably a good thing, considering he learned absolutely none of them in Mother 3, anyway. Might as well have put Kumatora in instead ._.'
Hm, that idea would appeal to me.. if, y'know, Lucas wasn't my favourite video game character of all time...

I probably sound like a broken record by now, but several characters have overlapping moves due to custom moves. I see no reason Lucas couldn't return the way he is and have Ness' specials as his customs.

That aside, people OFTEN bring up that Ness and Lucas have moves in Smash Bros that they don't learn in their own native games. I rationalise that in two ways:
1. Ness and Lucas are more representations of the MOTHER series as a whole, and less their actual characters (especially Lucas, he even uses the Rope Snake that Duster usually uses).
2. Lets be real here: Their abilities in the actual games are kinda boring. They're both the designated healer/buff character, with a signature offensive move and PK Flash. PK Fire, Freeze and Thunder work much better in a fighting game.

Now I am aware of this Project M thing where they made Lucas more like the way he is in MOTHER 3. I've never played it, and only seen some tourney footage. But to be perfectly honest... I'm not a fan. For the most part it looks more like spastic flailing around and exploitations of game mechanics, not an actual battle. I don't think any professional game designer would deliberatly make a game like that. That's something that fans of Meele would do, to bring all the mechanics that are more or less accidental to Brawl.
I'm sorry, but that's my honest opinion on it. I've watched footage and it just wasn't real entertaining. Whoever manages to set up some crazy combo first, shaves off a stock and the opponent seems to be able to do very little against it.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
There are a lot of reasons Lucas can return for DLC. For me, it's merely a matter of when. Sakurai has already expressed his view on DLC, so I figure the games finished earlier than he anticipated, and started working on other fighters. Mewtwo, Wolf, and Lucas are probably first priority.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I miss Lucas a lot really. I used him quite a bit, almost equally as much as I used Ness.
His Smash attacks were out of this world too (dem Down and Up Smashes) and it just feels odd that he isn't around anymore... at least at this very instance.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
I miss Lucas a lot really. I used him quite a bit, almost equally as much as I used Ness.
His Smash attacks were out of this world too (dem Down and Up Smashes) and it just feels odd that he isn't around anymore... at least at this very instance.
You forgot one of the only back-airs (if not the only) To actually spike opponents :3

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
I can't wait for Lucas to be announced as DLC. I have really good feeling about it. I hope he plays similar to Brawl. He was so much fun to use.

Shaymikyu

If we're going to have a non-Lucas second Mother rep, I'd rather see someone who's less likely to steal from Ness. Duster, Jeff, and Porky are my top choices. I like the Masked Man too, but even though he has a lot of potential for uniqueness, I'd be afraid he'd be Ness'd. I'd be happy to see Paula, Kumatora, Poo, and MM as costumes for Ness or Lucas, though.
I probably sound like a broken record by now, but several characters have overlapping moves due to custom moves. I see no reason Lucas couldn't return the way he is and have Ness' specials as his customs.

That aside, people OFTEN bring up that Ness and Lucas have moves in Smash Bros that they don't learn in their own native games. I rationalise that in two ways:
1. Ness and Lucas are more representations of the MOTHER series as a whole, and less their actual characters (especially Lucas, he even uses the Rope Snake that Duster usually uses).
2. Lets be real here: Their abilities in the actual games are kinda boring. They're both the designated healer/buff character, with a signature offensive move and PK Flash. PK Fire, Freeze and Thunder work much better in a fighting game.

Now I am aware of this Project M thing where they made Lucas more like the way he is in MOTHER 3. I've never played it, and only seen some tourney footage. But to be perfectly honest... I'm not a fan. For the most part it looks more like spastic flailing around and exploitations of game mechanics, not an actual battle. I don't think any professional game designer would deliberatly make a game like that. That's something that fans of Meele would do, to bring all the mechanics that are more or less accidental to Brawl.
I'm sorry, but that's my honest opinion on it. I've watched footage and it just wasn't real entertaining. Whoever manages to set up some crazy combo first, shaves off a stock and the opponent seems to be able to do very little against it.
I was less salty over Lucas being Lucatora when I noticed he represented every one of the party members except Boney (and Salsa who is in his party for five seconds):
-Smashes=himself
-Specials=Kumatora
-Rope Snake=Duster
I can't wait for Lucas to be announced as DLC. I have really good feeling about it. I hope he plays similar to Brawl. He was so much fun to use.
If Lucas gets announced for DLC, I'll react the same way a lot of people reacted to Mewtwo.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If we're going to have a non-Lucas second Mother rep, I'd rather see someone who's less likely to steal from Ness. Duster, Jeff, and Porky are my top choices. I like the Masked Man too, but even though he has a lot of potential for uniqueness, I'd be afraid he'd be Ness'd. I'd be happy to see Paula, Kumatora, Poo, and MM as costumes for Ness or Lucas, though.

I was less salty over Lucas being Lucatora when I noticed he represented every one of the party members except Boney (and Salsa who is in his party for five seconds):
-Smashes=himself
-Specials=Kumatora
-Rope Snake=Duster

If Lucas gets announced for DLC, I'll react the same way a lot of people reacted to Mewtwo.
Don't forget Flint Norris with that roundhouse kick jab :awesome:

Shaymikyu

Don't forget Flint Norris with that roundhouse kick jab :awesome:
Of course. Flint would be awesome. I think he's one of the easiest to make a Mii Fighter of, too, since we already have all the western stuff.

And that part of your sig with Lucas, Duster, Kumatora, and Boney makes me smile.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Sorry to say, but to be perfectly honest, I think EarthBound should only have Ness and Lucas as reps.
It's a small series, but since it's been a part of Smash Bros since the very beginning, I think two characters are appropriate, but not three.
The true question is... will Captain Falcon ever recieve any love outside of Smash??

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Sorry to say, but to be perfectly honest, I think EarthBound should only have Ness and Lucas as reps.
It's a small series, but since it's been a part of Smash Bros since the very beginning, I think two characters are appropriate, but not three.
The true question is... will Captain Falcon ever recieve any love outside of Smash??
YES A thousand times yes I agree with this 100% :'D

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't really care about representation. For DLC, Sakurai can easily add extra bonus characters that would never happen in a main Smash game ever.

Masked Man as a character? That would heavy spoilers in one way or another.
Not if his real name is revealed it's not.
We already have :4lucina: anyway.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

So have any of you been playing Mother 3 recently, and by the way, there's a Masked Man support thread that's been added recently, feel free to support him:
http://smashboards.com/threads/reprogramming-the-kid-masked-man-for-dlc.376229/
As much as I'd love them both in, I doubt it'll happen. Even two reps is more than enough for Mother, and this is coming from a huge MM supporter back in Brawl.

Still, maybe Lucas can get an alt based on him, complete with name change. Alts in general have really opened the doors for characters who otherwise stood little chance, like the Koopalings.

Even if we got a third Mother rep, it'd likely either be a Mother 1 rep to give it some representation as well or another EB rep since it's the most popular in the series.
I don't really care about representation. For DLC, Sakurai can easily add extra bonus characters that would never happen in a main Smash game ever.

Not if his real name is revealed it's not.
We already have :4lucina: anyway.
Plus:
A. They kind of spoiled the deal with him back in Brawl anyway.
B. M3 is much older than Awakening, which as mentioned before, had a ton of huge spoilers thrown into this game (not just Lucina, but Validar's trophy spoils something for Robin).

Top Bottom