• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
No Mother protagonist is particularly more relevant than the other in their own series, but Ness is the most relevant of them to Smash, so he'd stay. However, the same leak that said Lucas would be cut also mentioned DLC characters, so I'm quite confident that Lucas would be among the first DLC characters.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I really liked Lucas's addition in Brawl. I was actually really rooting for him to be in, playing Mother 3 around the time to. So, yeah it'll be a major bummer if he's gone. But it would be worse to lose Ness at this point though. If a sacrifise has to be made, I'd rather pick Lucas over Ness, even if the choice is bad. Am sure hoping Lucas indeed shows up as DLC. And I think a lot of semi-clones actually might become DLC.

Lucas, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Roy, maybe even Dr.Mario very well could end up becoming DLC characters. Mewtwo to, if he's not in. Other semi-clones I think are possibily are Dixie Kong and Lucina.

Doubt this will be the end of Lucas. Am hoping that his DLC character will somehow be coupled with a English-translated Mother 3. Nintendo is reaching out to it's core fans more it seems, having contacted top Smash players. I could see it even possible that they will contact the guys from Starmen.net and translate Mother 3 officially.

Yeah, if they are at this point in development still debating on which Mother character to use, I would imagine they at least have done SOME base work on both. If that is the case, I would be very surprised if the one that doesn't make it in doesn't end up as DLC.

Off topic, but I really feel like Bowser Jr., Dark Pit (should be a costume, but I could see it happening), Toon Zelda, or even Impa could be DLC semi-clones. Interested to see what they actually end up doing.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
People are getting to ahead of themselves because of a leak, just because it got a few characters right, doesn't mean everything in the leak will. I'm probably going to be that last one staying optimistic towards Lucas, especially with the mention of Mother 3 at the digital event.

Huarbolo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
huarbolo
3DS FC
1435-5887-5069
I swear to god if Lucas is cut it'll make no sense I mean think about it: We've got Toon Link who is literally almost an exact clone of Link but he was confirmed and I'll be damned if he doesn't make the cut cause he has various differences like his neutral B and Down and Up Smash

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I swear to god if Lucas is cut it'll make no sense I mean think about it: We've got Toon Link who is literally almost an exact clone of Link but he was confirmed and I'll be damned if he doesn't make the cut cause he has various differences like his neutral B and Down and Up Smash
Keeping Toon Link, I mean seriously... he's a retro. Same boat as Lucas.

Why was Dr Mario dropped in Brawl, but Young Link relabeled?
Both of them are variations of already existing characters.
I leave the answer... to you.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
WTB Lucas news....

Hell, I'll take Ness news at this point. The fact that neither of them have been announced yet is making me nervous.

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
WTB Lucas news....

Hell, I'll take Ness news at this point. The fact that neither of them have been announced yet is making me nervous.
I wouldn't worry man, Ness, Cap, and Jiggs are going to be locked so I don't expect their announcements. And Lucas I'm sure is back.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
People are getting to ahead of themselves because of a leak, just because it got a few characters right, doesn't mean everything in the leak will. I'm probably going to be that last one staying optimistic towards Lucas, especially with the mention of Mother 3 at the digital event.
Chorus Kids are very likely at this point though.

Either way, the leaker said he wasn't sure about this, plus the leak is fairly outdated. I wouldn't count Lucas out just yet.

Last edited:

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
Not to mention that it looks like we'll have Marth, Ike, and Chrom. As well as Fox, Falco, and, Wolf. If FE and Star Fox can have 3 characters with similar looks or movesets, the Mother franchise can have 2 established veterans.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Not to mention that it looks like we'll have Marth, Ike, and Chrom. As well as Fox, Falco, and, Wolf. If FE and Star Fox can have 3 characters with similar looks or movesets, the Mother franchise can have 2 established veterans.
Especially when the 3 spacies would be more than enough to 100% represent Star Fox, while Mother's two reps only give 2/3 representation

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
If Lucas doesn't end up making the initial cut, almost positive he'll be back as DLC.

Seems like many elements (Items, Stages, Pokemon, ATs and even characters) were ported over from brawl and tweaked. Lucas is unique so feel like it wouldn't be hard to get him in the game afterwards.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
If Lucas doesn't end up making the initial cut, almost positive he'll be back as DLC.

Seems like many elements (Items, Stages, Pokemon, ATs and even characters) were ported over from brawl and tweaked. Lucas is unique so feel like it wouldn't be hard to get him in the game afterwards.
Why wouldn't Lucas make the cut!

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
Why wouldn't Lucas make the cut!
I don't want to rain on your guys' parade (I'm a huge Lucas supporter myself) but his chances of returning look pretty bleak. We haven't seen any Earthbound/Mother characters so far, and Lucas was actually revealed to be in Brawl long before the game was released. I can understand Sakurai keeping quiet about Ness, as he was a secret character in Brawl, but I would have expected him to announce Lucas by now. On top of that Lucas is a bit of a "clone" character (as much as I hate to use that term), and 4/5 of the characters cut from Melee to Brawl were clones. The Earthbound series has always had a bit of a shaky history when it comes to how it's dealt with by Sakurai. Ness was originally going to be cut entirely from Melee in favor of Lucas, but now I feel as though this will be the other way around, especially with how much Nintendo has been supporting Mother 2/Earthbound recently.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I have a feeling Lucas will be in the game, but this leak keeps coming back.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I don't want to rain on your guys' parade (I'm a huge Lucas supporter myself) but his chances of returning look pretty bleak. We haven't seen any Earthbound/Mother characters so far, and Lucas was actually revealed to be in Brawl long before the game was released. I can understand Sakurai keeping quiet about Ness, as he was a secret character in Brawl, but I would have expected him to announce Lucas by now. On top of that Lucas is a bit of a "clone" character (as much as I hate to use that term), and 4/5 of the characters cut from Melee to Brawl were clones. The Earthbound series has always had a bit of a shaky history when it comes to how it's dealt with by Sakurai. Ness was originally going to be cut entirely from Melee in favor of Lucas, but now I feel as though this will be the other way around, especially with how much Nintendo has been supporting Mother 2/Earthbound recently.
There may not be no Characters but Earthbound represtation in SSBU/3DS
Starting with Mr. Saturn

And the Franklin Badge is a returning item as well

Lucas has no reason to be cut

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Essentially either Ness or Lucas will be cut
Can you give me a link? I'm afraid Ness wont be leaving anytime soon he's been in there since the beginning. Lucas has no reason to be cut (unless due to time restrains) Lucas can simply be de-cloned from Ness. That leak is false!

Fluxx

Smash Rookie
Hey, guys.

Funny that this page is talking about a new e-mail, because that's exactly why I'm here. Received one last night, but missed it in the mix of all this crazy E3 coverae.

But there's not much new about it, so I didn't think it was worth posting on the site.

I'll leave what it says here, though, in case you guys can use it in any way.

Basically, I was told that:

- Last E3 before game's launch (obviously)
- Participating characters: Pac-Man, Mii Fighter, Goddess Palutena, Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men (none of these are new, obv, so I take he means these are the participating characters for E3?)
- There has been internal debate about keeping Lucas versus Ness, apparently Lucas is likely to get the cut
- Nintendo is planning post-launch character DLC, source doesn't like this as he thinks it's greedy

And that's it. This E3 should make or break whether this guy's the real deal. Let's hope for the best! =)
Makes me sad to see. With the discovery of the Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run, I'm startnig to believe the leak. I really want both Chrom and Shulk, but Lucas was the brawl veteran that I wanted to stay the most

Last edited:

Blue Fang

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedIdol82
I've never been a Mother fan, and personally it wouldn't affect me much if Lucas was cut. But my logic is this:
If Ike is returning, then there is no good excuse to cut Lucas. I believe he'll be back with Ness.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I've never been a Mother fan, and personally it wouldn't affect me much if Lucas was cut. But my logic is this:
If Ike is returning, then there is no good excuse to cut Lucas. I believe he'll be back with Ness.
I love you. I'm glad you believe in the Lucas that believes in us.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
To me Ness has barely any points in favor over Lucas. While Lucas has the better moveset, most recent game and more personality. Ness only has seniority at Smash games and more recognition worldwide. Which are a big deal I guess. But I think that if you know Earthbound, you also know Lucas, at least from Brawl.
I would say I'd rather have Lucas over Ness, but I know Ness has his fans too. In the end, poor Lucas can't catch a break: his game is a sadfest, it seems it will never come outside Japan and now he will fade from people's minds if he doesn't appear in SSB4.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Being in original 12 is no excuse for automatic inclusion.
The reason that original 12 usually stay is because they're the best reps of their series.

I have a feeling Ness supporters use the original 12 argument without even thinking about it.
"wut makes u think Ness is in?"
"dunt question original 12 bro
original 12 is god status"

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
Being in original 12 is no excuse for automatic inclusion.
The reason that original 12 usually stay is because they're the best reps of their series.

I have a feeling Ness supporters use the original 12 argument without even thinking about it.
"wut makes u think Ness is in?"
"dunt question original 12 bro
original 12 is god status"
I would still say Ness is the better choice of the two if there absolutely had to only be one, original 12 aside.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
There are a lot of people saying that Lucas is too similar to Ness and so is going to be cut from the game. Well, in order to set Lucas further apart from Ness, I think Lucas could take a page or two from Ike's book.

I present to you, Lucas 2.0:

Huarbolo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
huarbolo
3DS FC
1435-5887-5069
There are a lot of people saying that Lucas is too similar to Ness and so is going to be cut from the game. Well, in order to set Lucas further apart from Ness, I think Lucas could take a page or two from Ike's book.

For how long has Lucas been on steroids? :troll:

Fluxx

Smash Rookie

Lucas got CUT.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
To me Ness has barely any points in favor over Lucas. While Lucas has the better moveset, most recent game and more personality. Ness only has seniority at Smash games and more recognition worldwide. Which are a big deal I guess. But I think that if you know Earthbound, you also know Lucas, at least from Brawl.
I would say I'd rather have Lucas over Ness, but I know Ness has his fans too. In the end, poor Lucas can't catch a break: his game is a sadfest, it seems it will never come outside Japan and now he will fade from people's minds if he doesn't appear in SSB4.
There can still be Mother 3 content in Smash even if Lucas is cut. But yeah, I rather have Lucas than Ness even though I main Ness in Brawl.

General-Guy

Smash Cadet
Guys, the 25th anniversary of the mother series is coming up next month. Maybe Sakurai has been waiting to show off Lucas then?

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
Guys, the 25th anniversary of the mother series is coming up next month. Maybe Sakurai has been waiting to show off Lucas then?
I've been preaching this everywhere, if Reggie made a joke about Mother 3, not only that but started off with a joke about it, and refused to answer to IGN about it, I'm sure we have something coming...

Otherwise that'd be like a giant F U to mother fans.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Yeah I thought that was weird to mention it like that. Maybe a lucas amiibo with mother 3 download included will be announced...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well it just accured to me

(Now correct me if im wrong but)

I think its really really bad for lucas, i mean coulden't ness's alternate attacks be luca's for ness's moves for the custom moveset thing.

I mean faster pk thunder, and ice varation of PK blast, the healing shield being out instead of around him, and a just a explosive version of pk fire like lucas's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom