• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

grizby2

Smash Lord
i don't think all the playable characters will be released prior to its release. but I can imagine them being released fairly quickly after the 3ds version gets out. we should see the whole roster by the end of the wii u release date on the official site by then.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
http://earthboundcentral.com/2013/04/mother-3-and-japanese-fans-revisited/
You even read the article? It's mostly negative comments. Face it, Mother 3 is the OM of Mother.
That article is purposely cherry picking in order to highlight an opinion. You have no proof whatsoever that this sample represents the Japanese Mother community as a whole.

I don't even think you bothered to read my posts. Please learn to make an argument, otherwise just don't respond at all.

I don't believe you'll read a word of this post anyway, but if you do read ONE sentence, read this next one.

Go back and read all my posts, completely, then make a post arguing against my one with the use of counter-proofs.

That is how you make a valid argument.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
That article is purposely cherry picking in order to highlight an opinion. You have no proof whatsoever that this sample represents the Japanese Mother community as a whole.

I don't even think you bothered to read my posts. Please learn to make an argument, otherwise just don't respond at all.

I don't believe you'll read a word of this post anyway, but if you do read ONE sentence, read this next one.

Go back and read all my posts, completely, then make a post arguing against my one with the use of counter-proofs.

That is how you make a valid argument.
You think a website named after Earthbound is trying to bias people against Mother 3? Those guys take their reporting pretty seriously. Just Google translate a Japanese Mother 3 comments section if you don't believe 'em. Anyway, I could post tons of articles proving Japan is torn over the game you wouldn't believe me. I can tell this is something you'll just have to come to terms with yourself.

Shroob

Sup?
You think a website named after Earthbound is trying to bias people against Mother 3? Those guys take their reporting pretty seriously. Just Google translate a Japanese Mother 3 comments section if you don't believe 'em. Anyway, I could post tons of articles proving Japan is torn over the game you wouldn't believe me. I can tell this is something you'll just have to come to terms with yourself.
To be fair, Japan wasn't very excited over Little Mac's inclusion in Smash, but it happened.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I have several friends who main Lucas and want him to return. I don't mind him. He was a bit of tool in SSE, letting Ness get trophied and running off like a pansy, but he's cool in battle. A different side b, up b and down b would be welcome. Otherwise, he's already designed, is relatively unique, and people like him in Smash at least. Yeah his series is relatively insignificant now and many argue it doesn't warrant two reps, but people enjoy Lucas in Smash, arguably more than Ness in my experience. And Ness is practically a guarantee. All in all, bring Lucas back. I think he's relatively safe. Any arguments against him usually apply to Jiggs too, but people still support her anyway.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
To be fair, Japan wasn't very excited over Little Mac's inclusion in Smash, but it happened.
That's a bit different. Mac's fans don't hate him. The series's own fanbase hating the character is something that's only happened to Lucas, and could influence Sakurai to not include the character.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
You think a website named after Earthbound is trying to bias people against Mother 3?
Didn't I
just
tell

you
to read my posts properly?
Did I say they were trying to coax people into hating Mother 3?

It's useless if they include positive comments about this subject in particular. Nowhere did I say or even imply that they were biased, the comments shown were trying to HIGHLIGHT the subject.

If a news reporter is reporting about a robbery of a National Bank, they wouldn't include opinions about how thieves are misunderstood or something, not because they want you to believe that all thieves are horrible people with no morals, but because it's largely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

NO. STOP.
Before ANYONE makes a reply to this,

READ MY WHOLE POST PROPERLY.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
"That article is purposely cherry picking in order to highlight an opinion. You have no proof whatsoever that this sample represents the Japanese Mother community as a whole."

AKA trying to bias people.

"I don't know how you came to that conclusion, (that you said people who hate M3 are stupid) but no. Since it was more available, there were more of the certain types of people who hate it, that are less prominent outside of Japan."

More available? It barely outsold M2's Japanese sales.

"It's certainly POSSIBLE to distinguish between games (or at least make an accurate conclusion) although the likelihood of that happening may be very slim."

So... You admit that it's basically impossible to prove that one game is better then another? Why not just drop the "basically" and admit it's impossible?

Honestly, I don't see much worth replying to. If you want me to reply to something that badly, point it out yourself. I'm not diggingthrough this topic again.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
To be fair, if characters got in based on how people thought their games were actually good, we supposedly wouldn't have Lucas in the first place based on the Japanese opinion, and Sonic wouldn't be in Smash in the first place. The argument that's the Other M of the series is especially moot when we're getting Other M representation in Smash Bros.

Regardless of the perception of the game (I've played it and think it's great), Sakurai has made it of note that he's trying to include as many veterans as possible, meaning this sudden Western revelation that the East hates Mother 3 means absolutely nothing in the context of implementing a character to play as. Lucas isn't Mother 3 incarnate. He's Lucas, a character in Smash Bros. No sense in mixing two unrelated points together like they mean a thing.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
To be fair, if characters got in based on how people thought their games were actually good, we supposedly wouldn't have Lucas in the first place based on the Japanese opinion, and Sonic wouldn't be in Smash in the first place. The argument that's the Other M of the series is especially moot when we're getting Other M representation in Smash Bros.

Regardless of the perception of the game (I've played it and think it's great), Sakurai has made it of note that he's trying to include as many veterans as possible, meaning this sudden Western revelation that the East hates Mother 3 means absolutely nothing in the context of implementing a character to play as. Lucas isn't Mother 3 incarnate. He's Lucas, a character in Smash Bros. No sense in mixing two unrelated points together like they mean a thing.
Lucas was put into Brawl long before his game came out, Sonic was more of SEGA's choice then anybody's and the Sonic 'fanbase' is mostly haters who never liked him in the first place, and OM was well-reviewed in the west and the best selling Metroid in Japan. Lucas's game was panned by reviews and fans alike and infamously wound up in bargain bins across Japan because Nintendo way overshot how many copies to print.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Lucas was put into Brawl long before his game came out, Sonic was more of SEGA's choice then anybody's and the Sonic 'fanbase' is mostly haters who never liked him in the first place, and OM was well-reviewed in the west and the best selling Metroid in Japan. Lucas's game was panned by reviews and fans alike and infamously wound up in bargain bins across Japan because Nintendo way overshot how many copies to print.
Mother 3's Release Date: April 20th, 2006
Lucas's Reveal in Brawl: October 1st, 2007
Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Release Date: January 31st, 2008
Yeah, great research there, budd.

The rest of your post is either an obvious troll (Other M actually being liked after you went back and said Mother 3 is supposed to be the "Other M of the series", good one), or you simply have absolutely no idea of just how many straw-man arguments you're using at once. Not worth my time or energy. Yeah, go ahead and coax me in responding again or whatever. The fact of the matter is that Lucas will eventually be revealed once again and your ingenious points of how "Sonic was more of SEGA's choice than anybody's" won't be doing much else other than chronicling just how half-assed the reasoning for Lucas's exclusion really was in the Smash 4 Speculation scene. Hell, if anything you'll be proving my point, so by all means, deconstruct this to your heart's content. :awesome:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
"That article is purposely cherry picking in order to highlight an opinion. You have no proof whatsoever that this sample represents the Japanese Mother community as a whole."

Read. My. Post.
I clearly said that it's trying to highlight its article. Cherrypicking is not always trying to bias people. It's the people that misinterpret the emphasised comments and believe that the whole community is like that. The site did not try to intentionally bias people.

"I don't know how you came to that conclusion, (that you said people who hate M3 are stupid) but no. Since it was more available, there were more of the certain types of people who hate it, that are less prominent outside of Japan."

Again.
Read. My. Post.
"More available" means more accessible., as in you can find it more easily in Japan.

"It's certainly POSSIBLE to distinguish between games (or at least make an accurate conclusion) although the likelihood of that happening may be very slim."

So... You admit that it's basically impossible to prove that one game is better then another? Why not just drop the "basically" and admit it's impossible?
For the LAST time.
Read. My. F***king. Post.
I said that it's possible, but the chances of people bothering to get together and have a debate are slim.

Honestly, I don't see much worth replying to. If you want me to reply to something that badly, point it out yourself. I'm not diggingthrough this topic again.
I was asking you to READ MY POSTS CLEARLY.
Before you even go to write a reply, READ MY POST 100% and THINK ABOUT WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY.

No, stop, I know what you're going to do, read my previous sentence fully.

If you can't show skill in English then just don't waste my time by making me rewrite what I have already written and don't reply.

Last edited:

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman

Woah, buddy, he didn't mention anything about calling people who hate Mother 3 stupid. Chill. Sheesh.

I really want Lucas back. He was amazing in SSE, and I just wanted to cuddle him~

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yeah, great research there, budd.

The rest of your post is either an obvious troll (Other M actually being liked after you went back and said Mother 3 is supposed to be the "Other M of the series", good one), or you simply have absolutely no idea of just how many straw-man arguments you're using at once. Not worth my time or energy. Yeah, go ahead and coax me in responding again or whatever. The fact of the matter is that Lucas will eventually be revealed once again and your ingenious points of how "Sonic was more of SEGA's choice than anybody's" won't be doing much else other than chronicling just how half-***** the reasoning for Lucas's exclusion really was in the Smash 4 Speculation scene. Hell, if anything you'll be proving my point, so by all means, deconstruct this to your heart's content. :awesome:
Lucas is one of the first characters in the SSE, remember? He's in most of the cutscenes, so naturally he was one of the first characters put in. You really think they would of shown us the beginning SSE cutscenes, put it on hold for a year, then finish it?

No, OM is not well-liked by Metroid fans. Look at any Metroid forum and see for yourself. Heck, OM gets enough animosity here.

Never said I thought Lucas wasn't getting in, either. Just that he's not as likely as the other vets, sans Ivy and Squirt.
Read. My. Post.
I clearly said that it's trying to highlight its article. Cherrypicking is not always trying to bias people. It's the people that misinterpret the emphasised comments and believe that the whole community is like that. The site did not try to intentionally bias people.

Again.
Read. My. Post.
"More available" means more accessible., as in you can find it more easily in Japan.

For the LAST time.
Read. My. F***king. Post.
I said that it's possible, but the chances of people bothering to get together and have a debate are slim.

I was asking you to READ MY POSTS CLEARLY.
Before you even go to write a reply, READ MY POST 100% and THINK ABOUT WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY.

No, stop, I know what you're going to do, read my previous sentence fully.

If you can't show skill in English then just don't waste my time by making me rewrite what I have already written and don't reply.
Anybody with a brain can see the article would bais people. You honestly think it's just an accident? Oh, and the writer wrote:
[Mato said on Apr. 29, 2013
Just in case I accidentally didn’t make it clear – these are generally the types of comments I find on any site that mentions MOTHER 3. There are people who defend the game, but it seems like these sorts of negative comments are in the majority.]
So yes, Mother 3 is indeed mostly hated.

Fair enough.

No, it's simply impossible. Why are you attempting to argue otherwise?

So I guess I won't see that "hidden meaning" or whatever then. Heh.
Woah, buddy, he didn't mention anything about calling people who hate Mother 3 stupid. Chill. Sheesh.

I really want Lucas back. He was amazing in SSE, and I just wanted to cuddle him~
Um...
The battle system wasn't necessarily better or worse anyway. You didn't have as much problems with healing and the game made you use stats and shield PSI more.

Mother 3 was made publicly available in Japan, instead of in other countries where it was not as widespread. More people of less intelligence had convenience access to it in Japan. Most of the people who made the more hateful comments were simply expecting a slightly edited Earthbound, so when a game tailored for a slightly different audience comes out, they hate on it and start finding ridiculous flaws, I believe I smelled a hint of someone implying that Earthbound's plot was better than Mother 3's, completely BS had you actually played the two.

And Lucas has potential for a moveset almost entirely different from Ness'.
...Yeah.
Um, excuse me?
Near the bottom of the following page the writer (of the same article as before too) mentions that M3 indeed wound up in bargain bins. Not nearly as ironclad of a source I remembered, but yaknow.
http://earthboundcentral.com/2012/10/mother-and-japanese-fans/
And the quote for reference:
[Mato said on Oct. 31, 2012
Mother 3 actually ended up in bargain bins throughout Japan for years because Nintendo overestimated sales.]

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Anybody with a brain can see the article would bais people. You honestly think it's just an accident?
Read. My. Post.
The site did not try to intentionally bias people.
intentionally
No, it's simply impossible. Why are you attempting to argue otherwise?
Here's an idea. Instead of saying,
"No it's impossible",
support your opinion with arguments.

You're not making any headway with arguments like those.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Fun fact: If Mother 3 hadn't been delayed, Lucas would of actually replaced Ness during Melee.
That makes me kind of glad it was delayed :p

I think Lucas has a chance, although before the reveals of characters like Ike and Lucario I would have assumed he would be a definite cut.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
By explaining my arguments in detail.
I refer you to post #229.
And that proves you think one game can be proven to be better then another, when it physically can't.
More developed plot =/= better plot.
More detailed graphics =/= better graphics.
More in-depth music =/= better music.
Then there's gameplay, which can go in a multitude of directions.
Simple or complex? How much in either direction?
What about original content? How is that measured, if at all?
What genre is better? RPGs? Shooters? Visual novels? Platformers? What about those game that don't fit anything?
You can weigh the parts of games and add them up, but even then you'll have to assign arbitrary numbers to do so. What's more important? Gameplay, music, graphics, or story?

If you truely think it's possible, then completely prove one game is better then another. Any two, doesn't matter which. I won't be convinced otherwise.

Last edited:

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
By explaining my arguments in detail.
I refer you to post #229.
And that proves you think one game can be proven to be better then another, when it physically can't.
What genre is better? RPGs? Shooters? Visual novels? Platformers? What about those game that don't fit anything?
You can weigh the parts of games and add them up, but even then you'll have to assign arbitrary numbers to do so. What's more important? Gameplay, music, graphics, or story?

If you truely think it's possible, then completely prove one game is better then another. Any two, doesn't matter which. I won't be convinced otherwise.
Oh my god. Forgive me, but please, if you're going to argue about this ridiculous thing, then take it somewhere else. It's just pointless, and it's annoying to see.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I still believe in Lucas. How are we all holding up?

BTW, I am a big believer in Lucas keeping PK thunder with Ness using teleport. They can go haflsies on specials.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224

I'm done.
It's like talking to a parrot.
Here's an idea. Instead of saying,
"No it's impossible",
support your opinion with arguments.

You're not making any headway with arguments like those.
If you continue to refuse to read my posts then we're not going anywhere.
**** this.
I still believe in Lucas. How are we all holding up?

BTW, I am a big believer in Lucas keeping PK thunder with Ness using teleport. They can go haflsies on specials.
First part is the best thing that could happen IMO. Lucas should have (PSI) Counter for his Down-B, and change his Side-B to PK Freeze, like in P:M but keep everything else. That's three moves completely separated. As for his Neutral-B, I'd prefer it changed to PK Flash to better represent his moveset, but change his to green and Ness' to something similar to what was in Earthbound.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm done.

**** this.

First part is the best thing that could happen IMO. Lucas should have (PSI) Counter for his Down-B, and change his Side-B to PK Freeze, like in P:M but keep everything else. That's three moves completely separated. As for his Neutral-B, I'd prefer it changed to PK Flash to better represent his moveset, but change his to green and Ness' to something similar to what was in Earthbound.
Doing a nice job of ignoring the important stuff there. And you're telling me CoD looks better then Mother 3, and that OM has a better plot then Prime? I don't think so.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
I'm done.

**** this.

Doing a nice job of ignoring the important stuff there. And you're telling me CoD looks better then Mother 3, and that OM has a better plot then Prime? I don't think so.
**** sakes. Guys, please.

I give up...

I think Lucas will be revealed at E3, and Ness will be kept hidden until release.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Just thought I would pop in and show my support, I starting to lean towards Squirtle and Ivysaur being the only cuts, they just seem like noble sacrifices to save the rest. Why would we still have Zero Suit Samus with seperation of characters if not Squirtle and Ivysaur? Maybe because they were enough to give more development time on everyone else.

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
That Mother 3 mention though. By the same guy who said stuff about Star Fox.
I can't be teased like this.

Top Bottom