• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

McDeathstrider

Smash Cadet
NNID
McDeathstrider
3DS FC
4700-0028-0617
I feel like the short grab is easy to work around though. You should use it to punish moves with high endlag or something like that. to be honest though, that's my main downfall, i grab too much.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I feel like the short grab is easy to work around though. You should use it to punish moves with high endlag or something like that. to be honest though, that's my main downfall, i grab too much.
Smart foes won't be letting you punish anything with Lucas's sluggish grab, especially if they play a character like Mario or Sheik. It needs to be faster and longer in order to be able to be of any use against these lagless characters. As of now, it pretty much only works off of reads. I'd say it's actually his hardest weakness to work around.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Jesus, that was disgusting. That Pac Man one made me fall out of my chair.

So is Star the best Lucas right now, or is he just really flashy? Heck, are there even any "good" Lucases at this point yet?
He really knows how to get the grab, which is basically what his Lucas revolves around. In fact, Star's grab game is so dominant it's hard to see how he does fundamentally when that option is taken away from him, so I hesitate to say if his skills are really up there.

But then again, there aren't that many dedicated Lucases right now. All the oldie Lucas mains seem to have a failing interest with the character, but I'm sure new ones will rise up to take their places. It took a while for good Lucas mains to establish themselves in Brawl too.

Last edited:

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
FightAdamantEevee better call Hyutter.

Not sure if this guy is good or not, looks like he plays FD exclusively, the Pac Man thing was nice, I've been using Footstools recently, not free on good players.

Tbh, I could go on For Glory and get a bunch of Footstool clips, but I just don't think it's worth Practicing it against someone who won't mixup properly, it's good for timing though I suppose.

The Diddy Kong clip was probably my favorite.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
FightAdamantEevee better call Hyutter.

Not sure if this guy is good or not, looks like he plays FD exclusively, the Pac Man thing was nice, I've been using Footstools recently, not free on good players.

Tbh, I could go on For Glory and get a bunch of Footstool clips, but I just don't think it's worth Practicing it against someone who won't mixup properly, it's good for timing though I suppose.

The Diddy Kong clip was probably my favorite.
is Hyutter still out there? I saw Taiheita recently in the Umebura thing too.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
Hi! I'm going to be here from now on, as for some reason I can win with this character better than any other even though he isn't one of my mains.

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Hi! I'm going to be here from now on, as for some reason I can win with this character better than any other even though he isn't one of my mains.
Welcome mang! There's alot of friendly faces at the Lucas boards and some great threads (and threads in the work) for a better understanding of our all favorite boy. I stumbled across Lucas by random aswell, I hope you'll learn to love him as I have!
/Much love GP

Last edited:

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
Cool.

Quickly, everybody give your top 3 for the dee-l-c.(shameless banana waddle dew plug)

I want wolf, bandana Dee, and Ivysaur.

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Cool.

Quickly, everybody give your top 3 for the dee-l-c.(shameless banana waddle dew plug)

I want wolf, bandana Dee, and Ivysaur.
I'd want Dr. Eggman, the Masked Man, and I guess Ice Climbers. I don't really want anyone else and I'll be happy with anything.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I'm trying to get a hang of the footstool lock, but I just can't land the last hit at the right time, I found a little tip during, that I need to fast fall after a start the dair. Grr, it looks so easy when they do it XD.

Last edited:

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
I keep killing my friends with pkt2 offstage while recovering, because I'll snap on one of the weak hits and they'll air dodge to their death. And the one time I get the last hit is the one time they don't try to tech.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Let's talk about Lucas in the neutral. We know he's got PK fire and Zair, but there's gotta be more to it than that. I short hop a lot to try and bait things out, but it can be tough against fast, aggressive opponents. Lucas is very reliant on mixing it up, so in what ways can he do that effectively?

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
I wish tether grabs that had something active on the end would have a grabbox until it retracted.

Like as a way to balance those super- slow grabs a bit better. Example: samus. Has a grapple beam thingy on the end, and you're telling me that it can't grab you while it's sitting there?

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Our tether is ALIVE. ROPE SNAKE IS JUST FAILING US AGAIN IS ALL.

But yeah, if our tether had a lasting... Grab box? At least spot dodge wouldn't be an issue, and as it stands shields still give us a hard time. There isn't really a safe way to grab without a punish or a read the read the read situation, like conditioning to shield, dashing in for a dash grab feint but shield-baiting their spot dodge. If so, grab and go to town. If not, SH the hell out of there.

We need a good way to dance around shield.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I'm really counting on any form of buff this patch, if we don't get any but other characters below us do, tis gonna be a sad patch for our boy.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Let's talk about Lucas in the neutral. We know he's got PK fire and Zair, but there's gotta be more to it than that. I short hop a lot to try and bait things out, but it can be tough against fast, aggressive opponents. Lucas is very reliant on mixing it up, so in what ways can he do that effectively?
Opposing character: *approaches Lucas in neutral*

Lucas: I can see into your mind. All that hope, all that happiness. I pity your foolish optimism and misguided trust. All that you hold close to you will be ripped from your desperate grasp one day, and you will be as ill prepared as I was to live with the gaping hole gouged into your soul. You will writhe and bleed on the ground, and none will heed your desperate calls for salvation and pleas to end your pain. And when that day comes, you will call me brother.

Opposing character: ..... * slowly backs away*

Thats how Lucas wins the neutral.

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Opposing character: *approaches Lucas in neutral*

Lucas: I can see into your mind. All that hope, all that happiness. I pity your foolish optimism and misguided trust. All that you hold close to you will be ripped from your desperate grasp one day, and you will be as ill prepared as I was to live with the gaping hole gouged into your soul. You will writhe and bleed on the ground, and none will heed your desperate calls for salvation and pleas to end your pain. And when that day comes, you will call me brother.

Opposing character: ..... * slowly backs away*

Thats how Lucas wins the neutral.
So basically Villager.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
ACTUALLY, it appears there was a universal change to increase shield stun. Maybe our aerials are safe on shield now?

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking the shield stun buff should do wonders for down tilt. It should go from 1 frame of shield stun to at least 3 according to someone else's calculations.

Edit: Specifically, this guy's calculations.

Last edited:

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
Apparently nair can still be interrupted though; the gap between the hits is still too large.

But guys.

We gotta test down tilt and jab.

Oh and zair.

Last edited:

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
I really hope Nair / Dair crossup is safe now. Being cornered at the ledge was a Slight issue for me before, but with PK Fire / Zair spacing being less strict due to the improved shieldstun and being able to cross up, our zoning and neutral game may have gotten a HUGE buff, and the same can be said for other zoners / spacies. As a Tink player, this is a welcome breeze in my green knickers.

I'm excited. Are you excited? Of course you are :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom