• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Lucas's NAir is like that cus he's a timid dude. He's not thrilled about contact and closes his eyes on his attacks. Could only do the PK Magnet with one eye open in Brawl.
He also closes his eyes during his dash attack. He doesn't seem to thrilled about running into the fray.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
He also closes his eyes during his dash attack. He doesn't seem to thrilled about running into the fray.
Perhaps subtle cues as to how to play him optimally?

Having a terrible time killing late with Lucas, ugh.
His difficulty in setting up KOs is a weakness still present from Brawl. Let's be glad Fair can do the job eventually now.

Though really, you just have to keep up your safe zoning until your opponent blunders and not lose patience. Fishing for grabs
or usmashes is the easiest way to lose.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Perhaps subtle cues as to how to play him optimally?

His difficulty in setting up KOs is a weakness still present from Brawl. Let's be glad Fair can do the job eventually now.

Though really, you just have to keep up your safe zoning until your opponent blunders and not lose patience. Fishing for grabs
or usmashes is the easiest way to lose.
Yeah, you're right, because I definitely get impatient

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
People are learning the Lucas matchup, and are likely catching on to his inability to kill with fast moves. That only means we gotta work harder and up the metagame.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
People are learning the Lucas matchup, and are likely catching on to his inability to kill with fast moves. That only means we gotta work harder and up the metagame.
Fair and Uair are pretty fast, though Uair does have short range.

Would you consider his air game having more lag but more knockback ultimately beneficial for Lucas? (Though Zair admittedly
picks up some of the slack).

Oh, and we may have to be open to the concept playing lame to win by time victories if we can get a stock lead. Worked for the Masked Man didn't it?

Last edited:

notbenny

Smash Cadet
Has anyone thought of Stages for Lucas? My best bets personally are Battlefield and such. The platforms help for down throw follow ups or even Up Smash

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Fair and Uair are pretty fast, though Uair does have short range.

Would you consider his air game having more lag but more knockback ultimately beneficial for Lucas? (Though Zair admittedly
picks up some of the slack).

Oh, and we may have to be open to the concept playing lame to win by time victories if we can get a stock lead. Worked for the Masked Man didn't it?
The only aerial I think needs a knockback buff is u-air, considering the tiny hitbox and the general riskiness of trying to pull off the PK Hoo Hah (and that Lucas' pompadour is probably made of adamantium). Otherwise I think Lucas would benefit more from damage racking buffs. He may have trouble killing outside of smashes, but it's... kind of like a unique weakness, like if it were any other way it wouldn't feel like Lucas anymore. He just needs more efficient ways of tacking on percents to match the efficiency of other characters, which would alleviate some of the kill problem as well.

And I think most of For Glory already does a good enough Masked Man impression, considering all the SDs I see.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The only aerial I think needs a knockback buff is u-air, considering the tiny hitbox and the general riskiness of trying to pull off the PK Hoo Hah (and that Lucas' pompadour is probably made of adamantium). Otherwise I think Lucas would benefit more from damage racking buffs. He may have trouble killing outside of smashes, but it's... kind of like a unique weakness, like if it were any other way it wouldn't feel like Lucas anymore. He just needs more efficient ways of tacking on percents to match the efficiency of other characters, which would alleviate some of the kill problem as well.

And I think most of For Glory already does a good enough Masked Man impression, considering all the SDs I see.
To be totally fair, Dtilt lock and just generally reading the tech chase out of FH Dair meant Lucas didn't have this problem nearly to the same extreme in Brawl.

The things I want for Lucas are making his tether grab a lot better, giving Dair more range, giving Fair and Nair their old auto-cancels (in Nair's case also making it come out earlier than frame 7), making the end-lag on PKT1.... not like 2 full seconds (ughhhhh) and making the PKT1 bolt juuuuuuust a little bit faster. There, done, Lucas is perfect. PERFECT. He kills and zones the way he needs to (with a good Zair, having effective disjoints, reliable kill options at decent percents and a workable edge-guarding tool but can be edge-guarded (PKT2 is actually easy to edge-guard with any counter), somewhat juggled and has average mobility.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
To be totally fair, Dtilt lock and just generally reading the tech chase out of FH Dair meant Lucas didn't have this problem nearly to the same extreme in Brawl.

The things I want for Lucas are making his tether grab a lot better, giving Dair more range, giving Fair and Nair their old auto-cancels (in Nair's case also making it come out earlier than frame 7), making the end-lag on PKT1.... not like 2 full seconds (ughhhhh) and making the PKT1 bolt juuuuuuust a little bit faster. There, done, Lucas is perfect. PERFECT. He kills and zones the way he needs to (with a good Zair, having effective disjoints, reliable kill options at decent percents and a workable edge-guarding tool but can be edge-guarded (PKT2 is actually easy to edge-guard with any counter), somewhat juggled and has average mobility.
I don't think d-air needs more range tbh, it's already the same disjoint range as Marcina's up-b (at least it feels like it, I've traded hitboxes with it quite a lot). And I never knew they made n-air that slow... but apparently you need 7 frames of startup to pull of a move that does 7%.

PKT went from 10% direct hit damage to 2%. Which is abysmal, but consistent to the general 'easier to string hits but hits do less damage' theme of nerfs they gave Lucas and many other characters this game. But yeah, I'd like to think electricity hurts more than 2%, and that Lucas doesn't need to flourish like he's at a Pokemon contest after using it.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It's more about the shield pressure Dair should be creating which is why I want to give it just that little bit more disjoint on it's hits 1-3.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
It's more about the shield pressure Dair should be creating which is why I want to give it just that little bit more disjoint on it's hits 1-3.
...which would also make it easier to space and not risk landing mid-move. It would be a great change for sure. Oh well, one thing at a time I suppose ;)

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
Yeah.. Frame 4 Nair would be nice... Hehe
They can fix Lucas's auto cancels just by making his short hop like Ness or something

Last edited:

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
Dang...
Iwata passed away...
I still can't believe it
"We heard your request and we decided to offer Lucas as a downloadable content"
AHHHHHHH CRIES

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

D

Deleted member

If it weren't for Iwata, Mother 2 & 3 would not exist and we would not have a fan base for the Mother franchise.

R.I.P. Iwata-san. You shall never be forgotten by us Mother fans for all the hard work you've done. Hopefully you are in a better place.

EclipseSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheHeroOfHylia
3DS FC
5043-3010-8901
Seeing as he had terminal bile duct cancer, pretty much anything is a better place... let's leave luck to heaven.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Heeeeeey, I was just about to come share that here too.

Accursed [gre]ninja.

A ninja always thinks ahead of everyone else.

I though it was Lucas burying his opponent after the beatdown
But in Brawl his opponents are right in front of him, clapping while he's doing that.. And well, they're still clapping in Sm4sh, just not right in front of him.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361

A ninja always thinks ahead of everyone else.

But in Brawl his opponents are right in front of him, clapping while he's doing that.. And well, they're still clapping in Sm4sh, just not right in front of him.
Clapping inside the dirt c:

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
He's poking the ground with a stick... tell me, what other character do you know that has a poking ground with stick animation?

But that's not all. Tell me, what is the first thing we notice about Lucas ever since his reveal trailer, something he's constantly doing? That's right. Smiling. Does a ruthless, ceaselessly smiling child sound familiar to you?

But it doesn't end there does it? Lucas' down-throw... what does it do? And does it seem familiar to a certain other down-move? A bury strange coincidence, is it not?

And just think about it. Lucas likes nature, can talk to animals, and lives in a village. A village. Do you not see it yet? Have you been blinded by that innocent demeanour and blond hair like so many other past victims have?

WAKE UP EAGLELAND.

GreatSogeking

Smash Rookie
god's work

I had half a mind to show his face getting ripped off and to make a joke about Pit not knowing what hairspray is, but I decided against it in the end.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hey Lucas players! We from the Ryu boards are making a doubles thread. The purpose of the thread is to find the best partner for Ryu. I'm going to invite as many people I can at once and get discussions going on all at once. We invite you to our dojo and hope you could help us discuss Lucas and Ryu in doubles. Thank you in advance!

Top Bottom