• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PK Flash and PK Freeze Compare and Contrast

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
I agree because there is no way Sakurai and his would notice how slow PK Flash is perhaps it might have super armor (a big wish) in exchange for the time it takes to aim the attack right

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
It all depends on how you use it. Flash you could always use for a kill when your opponent was recovering, but freeze, until i see more of it, looks just as useful but freezes them too.

I hope it moves faster... much faster, maybe it has small range or something.

Also lucas is just asking for it in that mystery move position

iron blade

Smash Ace
Do you propose that Lucas' PK Freeze will freeze the foes long enough until they fall to their demise?
hopefully, but we can't be sure until the game comes out. i also hope that at higher percents, it will kill opponents, like when you threw a freezie at someone with high damage, they went flying upward and didn't come back in melee.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
hopefully, but we can't be sure until the game comes out. i also hope that at higher percents, it will kill opponents, like when you threw a freezie at someone with high damage, they went flying upward and didn't come back in melee.
Agreed that would be very useful, on the topic of usefulness i really hope that it is useful in the first place

MarvinTPA

Smash Cadet
freezies are considerably powerful items.
I think PKFR will have about the same knockback and effect.
About the same strength as Flash, only knockback is traded for freezing.
The length will determine knockback, damage AND freeze time, most likely.
It's just doesn't make sense for it to freeze for the same amount of time no matter the charge.
Oh, BTW, freeze will NOT make people fall to thier deaths.
It will knock"back" them upwards, like the freezie did, to counter instant deaths.
It was pretty hard to kill someone with a freezie. Vertically was really the only way.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
freezies are considerably powerful items.
I think PKFR will have about the same knockback and effect.
About the same strength as Flash, only knockback is traded for freezing.
The length will determine knockback, damage AND freeze time, most likely.
It's just doesn't make sense for it to freeze for the same amount of time no matter the charge.
Oh, BTW, freeze will NOT make people fall to thier deaths.
It will knock"back" them upwards, like the freezie did, to counter instant deaths.
It was pretty hard to kill someone with a freezie. Vertically was really the only way.
True, but Brawl has new (or improved) laws of physics like how the bomb- omb is thrown at another player and the hit player flys off in the direction they are expected too. (Newton's First Law of Physics) Unlike the melee physics when hit by an explosion the opposing player flys in a 45 or 135 degree angle.

Gedennnnn

Smash Journeyman
I don't really care. As long as its not nearly as horrible as PK Flash. I hope its a lot quicker and has a whole lot less lag. Not only with this but all of his attacks. Well I mean I hope he doesn't play like Ness. Though I wouldn't mind his jumps.

MarvinTPA

Smash Cadet
Oooh.
Sorry Geden, but Smashboards is filled with total nerds and tons of Jargon.
Did the Bomb-omb do that?
We could never hit each other with items anyway.
(any readers, disband the "we" comment, don't be an idiot.)
I apologize, freezies did kill by falling.
it's happened at least 5 times in the same match today :3
Though that was very rare total...

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
Oooh.
Sorry Geden, but Smashboards is filled with total nerds and tons of Jargon.
Did the Bomb-omb do that?
We could never hit each other with items anyway.
(any readers, disband the "we" comment, don't be an idiot.)
I apologize, freezies did kill by falling.
it's happened at least 5 times in the same match today :3
Though that was very rare total...
Jargons???? but people can die from falling while frozen.... yesterday I froze my friend then pushed him off the edge and didnt break free until it was too late...

Noa.

Smash Master
Pk freeze should have less range, but as suggested, battle armor. For those who do not know ( yet you probably all do) Battle armor is when you receive no knockback from attacks, but still get damage. At least I hope

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
Say... did anybody see the animation for the pre explosion ball of light for PK Freeze if so can you link cuz i want to see if it beats Flash in looks

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
Pk freeze should have less range, but as suggested, battle armor. For those who do not know ( yet you probably all do) Battle armor is when you receive no knockback from attacks, but still get damage. At least I hope
If freeze got invincible frames, it would be broken. The point of them is for slow heavy characters to be able to use regular A moves more effectively, not specials. It would be overly spammable if you got armor from it, as with all of lucas' mental-ranged attacks, which the whole point of is to intentionally be vulnerable. Besides, logically he can't mentally grow and control that iceball while being bombarded with attacks.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Ness's PK Flash had a few good uses. For one thing it could be used as an edgeguard, and secondly you could use it as a sort of "umbrella" to cover yourself during aerial juggles. The important thing to remember is that PK flash is fully charged BEFORE it starts its descent.

Now PK freeze I believe will have the same KO power that Flash did, only with an ice effect. I really doubt that you'll be able to hit the opponent while they're frozen unless they don't button mash at low damage. However, the freeze will always stun for longer than the PK flash (uncharged) at lower damage, so this move will be an even better umbrella than PK flash ever was.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
Ness's PK Flash had a few good uses. For one thing it could be used as an edgeguard, and secondly you could use it as a sort of "umbrella" to cover yourself during aerial juggles. The important thing to remember is that PK flash is fully charged BEFORE it starts its descent.

Now PK freeze I believe will have the same KO power that Flash did, only with an ice effect. I really doubt that you'll be able to hit the opponent while they're frozen unless they don't button mash at low damage. However, the freeze will always stun for longer than the PK flash (uncharged) at lower damage, so this move will be an even better umbrella than PK flash ever was.
Wow that is very well said... It puts thing in a new light (no pun intended) but yeah... that new umbrella idea might come in handy for later as well...

Terradrius

Smash Apprentice
Check out the new 5 minute gameplay vid on Brawlcentral, at about 4:15. PK Freeze is quite speedy, though it doesn't look to have too much knockback. It also keeps them frozen for a decent bit of time.

Cyrlous

Smash Apprentice
I think that this will be very interesting now that Ness has been pretty much confirmed. I know a lot of people are saying WOW, look how much faster Lucas is, and his PK Freeze is way faster/better than PK Flash. However, that was Melee Ness and I think that Brawl Ness will have some serious upgrades, so if he still has his Flash move it will almost certainly be faster than in Melee and I bet will be quite competitive with Freeze. And Flash is much more of a KO move so it is different enough that it separates Ness from Lucas to a pretty good degree.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Comsidering that Lucas can KO from 75% up, PK Freeze will be an excellent way to hit for damage. Fully charged it does about 18% and the freeze effect seems to last longer than an Ice Climber freeze.

Kinda like throwing a freezie, but with less ko power and a bigger blast radius.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhfQRTdSwiI

See 4:15 for PK Freeze Action.

PK Freeze is actually very fast. It's not an explosion at all, and rather it's more of a quick moving PK Thunder that freezes enemies on contact. I do believe this move will have much more usefulness in actual practice than PK Flash ever did.

Granetdud

Smash Cadet
Ummm... on Brawl Central (and I didn't read all the posts on this thread so...) but I'm just mentioning it, there's a video with Lucas in it and he does his PK Freeze and it's MUCH faster.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Ummm... on Brawl Central (and I didn't read all the posts on this thread so...) but I'm just mentioning it, there's a video with Lucas in it and he does his PK Freeze and it's MUCH faster.
*psst. I think it's safe to assume that everyone has seen PK Freeze. Also, try to read previous posts so you can judge what to add to the conversation.*

By the way, PK Freeze did exactly 17% to Squirtle.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
I meant it not being a flat-out explosion like PK Flash was. PK Freeze is far more than just an "explosion". It's a PK Thunder that can freeze enemies and has an impact blast radius. The move itself can't be labeled simply as an explosion, like PK Flash.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Yeah. It also seemed like the freeze effect lasted a while and sent Squirtle quite high. Human opponents can probably button mash to escape from it faster.

Lucas_User

Smash Journeyman
His PK Freeze is really fast, as oposed to Ness' PK Thunder...which takes some time.

Top Bottom