• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Better Half: Dark Pit General/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
As long as the color of their wings aren't changed I don't think there's a problem.

Though I expect Dark Pit to have a different idle animation, and he'll probably have his staff out so for the sake of identification.

Maikou

Smash Ace
As long as the color of their wings aren't changed I don't think there's a problem.

Though I expect Dark Pit to have a different idle animation, and he'll probably have his staff out so for the sake of identification.
I'm wondering if it'll be like Brawl Pit, where the bow's shape changed depending on what moves Pit just used. Maybe Dark Pit will switch between the Silver Bow and Dark Pit staff depending on what moves you use, with the inactive one one his back while he hold the other one at the ready? Having him take the more calmly Uprising stances over Pit's more hyperactive one would also help to point out their personality differences.

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
I just want him in so I can actually play some sort of Pit. I only really play clones of characters who have them.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
i really hope dark pit plays like brawl pit.Atleast this way he won't be a clone but reusing a moveset

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Can we expect Dark Pit's alts to be based off of the other Uprising characters? Hades, Pyrrhon, Magnus and so on.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
A pyrrhon alt could be interesting

Lucina got Critical Hit too D:

Sakurai please don't let Dark Pit have 3 Sacred Treasures too ><

SmashWarrior202

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smashmatt202
3DS FC
1633-4497-7356
*head in hands*

*raises head*

OKAY! I didn't come here to blatantly hate on anyone who likes the idea of Dark Pit playable. I also fully realize what I have to say ultimately doesn't matter because it looks like Dark Pit is going to be his own playable character (and a clone to boot). I'm just going to be out-there and honest about the whole thing and how I feel about it now.

I. HATE! The idea of Dark Pit being playable! But this DOESN'T mean I don't like Dark Pit! I've played Kid Icarus: Uprising, and I know a lot of other people who do, and most of the people who want him playable seem to just adore Kid Icarus: Uprising in general. I got into a bit of an argument with one particular guy, even comparing Dark Pit to Shadow the Hedgehog at one point, so I don't want to step on anyone's toes again this time around. So I'll start by saying what I think of Dark Pit in the context of Kid Icarus: Uprising.

When it comes to Dark Pit, I have a love-hate relationship with him. For starters, I hate who he is and what he represents. Dark Pit, in both the context of the story, and his defining character archetype, is that he's an "evil clone" perhaps what has become the most single-handedly the most cliched character type in fiction in recent memory. Literally, Pit tries to destroy the Mirror of Truth and ends up creating a doppleganger who is essentially his opposite, and since Pit is supposed to be virtuous and righteous, Dark Pit is very much the opposite of that. Plus, he comes with all the sterotypical things that come with the evil clone archetype: he's a loner, he "doesn't play by the rules", he's "on now one's side except [his] own", he's "super cereal serious", he's the kind of anti-hero fangirls squee over and fanboys wish they could be as awesome as! But even then, that doesn't really annoy me. What annoys me is that this is a shorthand for creating a rival character for the hero to face. When I think of a rival character, I think of someone who's a foil for the main protagonist, someone who clashes in terms of viewpoints, someone who's their opposite in many ways but are still similar in some regards. You might think Dark Pit fits the bill perfectly, but that's just it; of COURSE he fits the bill, he's LITERALLY A CLONE OF PIT, so it's cheating! Going back to Sonic the Hedgehog for a moment, people think of Shadow as the character SEGA made to give Sonic a rival, but Sonic already HAD a rival, in the form of Knuckles the Echidna! Think about it, Sonic is loose and easy-going, Knuckles is stiff and stubborn; Sonic's clever ans sarcastic, Knuckles, while smart, can be easily fooled; Sonic's all about speed, Knuckles is all about power. I find creating a rival from the ground up as opposed to just making a darker version of the main character to be far more interesting. It's because of that that I would have preferred to see Magnus or someone similar to be a rival of Pit's, since he's not a clone of Pit, but he's similar to Pit, in that he has a set of morals and is relatively righteous and cares about humanity, but he's also different, in that not only is he a human, but he has a very negative view of the Gods, particularly in that humanity keeps ending up in the crossfire of their wars and battles. Granted, Dark Pit doesn't care for the Gods either, but I'll get into that in a moment. Basically what I'm getting at is, I hate the concept behind Dark Pit, in that he's basically a walking cliche, something that could have used more originality and/or didn't really need to be there...

Now what do I mean by that? Well, let's get into why I like Dark Pit, because I do like him... or rather, his character. A lot of the major characters either have drawbacks to them that keep me from liking them all the way... Either that, or we barely get anything out of them in the game. I REALLY like Magnus and Gaol, but they're barely in the game, despite having the most interesting story to tell, I think Hades is one of the best video game villains EVER, but... wait, there is no but, he IS one of the best video game villains ever! Medusa's cool, but since she's only there for her story arc and again briefly at the very end, there's not much to say about her, or many of her commanders like Pandora or Thanatos. Viridi is a straight-up ***** and I don't get the appeal of her at all, the fact that she never receives payback for her actions in the game really irks me, even though I find some of her commanders (particularly Arlon) interesting. The Aurum were basically filler-villains, you could remove them, as well as Pyhrron, and the story would be COMPLETELY unchanged. A lot of one-chapter characters, like Dyntos and the Chariot Master, are pretty cool, even if they only appear in one chapter. Poseidon is... unmemorable, and really left me wondering why he was in the game at all (especially when they didn't bother bringing back Old Man Zeus). Even Palutena isn't clean; despite being the Goddess of Light, even SHE can be morally ambiguous with her actions, particularly in the way she teases Pit constantly. I can't remember exact moments, with the exception of one in the Dark Pit chapter, which ironically helps lead into why I like Dark Pit the way I do. Pit comments that, if given the chance, Palutena wouldn't abuse the ability to create clones of Pit, to which she says of course she would, and that it's in the Goddess handbook or something... So basically she admits that she'd abuse her power if given the chance. OUR RIGHTEOUS GODDESS OF LIGHT, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!! The only unambiguously good guy in this whole game is Pit himself, and while I LOVE that he has great characterization that makes him more memorable and unique then just a generic good guy who fights for what is right (similar to how Mario and Link are characterized these days), he really annoys me in many ways... Most notably, he annoys me in how much of a pathetic Yes-Man he is to Palutena. LITERALLY, anything she asks of him, he'll do it, no questions asked, and he'll just assume it's for the greater good. Seriously, Palutena is like Princess Bubblegum, she's supposed to be portrayed, both in the show and supposedly in general, as a kind-hearted ruler and the "Big Good" of their respective universe, but they both do many, MANY morally ambiguous things, as well as say and do things that REALLY make me dislike them, if only because they don't live up to the standard that the show/game presents them. Pit's devotion to Palutena is so bad that he rarely if ever thinks for himself! HADES of all people calls him out on this, and I have to admit, Pit stumbling to think for himself and NOT parrot Palutena is kind of hilarious...

...Wait, wasn't I supposed to talk about Dark Pit? Ah, yes, well, Dark Pit comes into play when you realize that he's the opposite of Pit in every way. So, just like how Pit is a block-headed Yes-Man, blindly following orders and never thinking for himself, Dark Pit prides himself on his independence, and refuses to serve anyone, including Pandora, who he was supposed to serve and obey. Part of this may seem like another cliche of the dark anti-hero character, but really, in a world where the Gods are assholes, even the Goddess of Light to an extent, a powerful individual who refuses to serve any of them is greatly admired, at least by me. Not to mention, he does get some interesting character development, helping out Pit and fighting for the greater good, even though I find THAT a wee bit cliche as well. So yeah, there's a lot I like about Dark Pit...

But I hate the fact that he's going to be his own separate character in Super Smash Bros. Why is that? Well, for starters, I hate the fact that he's apparently popular enough to warrant his own spot. Yeah, I like him, as a character in the context of Kid Icarus: Uprising, but as a whole, he's still just an "evil clone"-type character and kind of an unoriginal, uncreative idea, which apparently is REALLY popular with a lot of people. For another thing... well, like I said, he's an evil CLONE, he's just like Pit, therefore his moveset would/will be just like Pit's! I'm usually one of the guy's who's fine with clones and isn't all that bothered by them, but in this one case, I REALLY don't want there to be a clone of Pit, because I just hate the concept of Dark Pit so much, and they fact that he can't just be an alternate costume bothered me to the Underworld and back! I'm sure he's just like Lucina, started out as an alternate costume, and FOR SOME REASON, Sakurai decided to upgrade him to playable. Ugh... when this game is released, I REALLY want to hear Sakurai's reasoning for why he did this, because while I can understand an appreciate Lucina and even Dr. Mario, Dark Pit is just... Ugh...

Well, that's my rant. Sorry to take up all your time. I'm actually not as mad as I used to be when the leak was essentially confirmed to be real, though I'm still a bit miffed. No use crying over spilt milk, as they say, though I WILL say, when it comes to Super Smash Bros. 6 (because Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will technically be the fifth installment), I hope that Dark Pit will be the first to go!

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
@ SmashWarrior202 SmashWarrior202
Firstly remember to collapse such a long text :)
Secondly I think everyone who supports Dark pit in this thread think that he isnt a 1:1 clone (Dark Pit Staff)
Thirdly Clones are just extra time Sakurai had in development. They are sort of like "bonus" ya know
Clones can be any of his choice really :/ (I am sure Alph could have been a clone too just that it doesn't really make sense to have an Olimar Clone)

Last edited:

SmashWarrior202

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smashmatt202
3DS FC
1633-4497-7356
^
How do I collapse long text? By putting it in spoilers, I guess. Also, thanks for being friendly about it, I realize I make REALLY long posts, mostly because I have a lot to say about a lot of given subjects; it's kind of hard for me to summarize my thoughts.

Also, I forgot to mention, yeah, it IS possible that he won't be a clone of Pit... But for one thing, I find the odds of that really unlikely given that he plays basically the same when you play as in him Kid Icarus: Uprising. For another, I'd still be a little miffed, because if you're going to differentiate him for Pit, why not just go with a completely difference character. But, oh well.

I suppose clones are a bonus. Like I said, I have no problems with clones in general. I like Lucina, and heck, I even like the idea of Dr. Mario coming back! It's just Dark Pit in particular that bothers me.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
^
How do I collapse long text? By putting it in spoilers, I guess. Also, thanks for being friendly about it, I realize I make REALLY long posts, mostly because I have a lot to say about a lot of given subjects; it's kind of hard for me to summarize my thoughts.

Also, I forgot to mention, yeah, it IS possible that he won't be a clone of Pit... But for one thing, I find the odds of that really unlikely given that he plays basically the same when you play as in him Kid Icarus: Uprising. For another, I'd still be a little miffed, because if you're going to differentiate him for Pit, why not just go with a completely difference character. But, oh well.

I suppose clones are a bonus. Like I said, I have no problems with clones in general. I like Lucina, and heck, I even like the idea of Dr. Mario coming back! It's just Dark Pit in particular that bothers me.
no problem :)
type collapse with square brackets
eg [ collapse ] (remove the spaces)
then after your done at the end add [ /collapse ] remove the spaces too

I don't think they gave Dark Pit a different playstyle in Scorched Feathers cuz they don't want to complicate things much such as forcing you to use a certain weapon

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
*ahem*

DP's Uair, Nair, jab, Dspecial (darnit), and Dsmash appear unchanged from Pit.

Usmash...? Two hits instead of three? I'm not the only one who saw that, right?

Most worthless character in any fighter ever imo. But congrats to anyone who legitimately wanted him in. He's officially confirmed!
Salt. Pass it.

Pure clone. Worthless.
2-hit Usmash, and a potential new Nspecial. Quit bellyaching until we know the details.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm mad because it is wasted potential, not because of the character itself.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yaknow, lemme say this in advance. I'll be on edge tonight for a multitude of reasons, up to and including dealing with the inevitable complaining. Can I ask everybody to quit with the rampant claims of "worthless" and "wasted slot" until we get some solid info?

Wow, he's...really unchanged...wow...
Usmash? I've already said it twice.

He lost to DP. Again. What's up with the concept art? Looks like a Meteor Bow. Nspecial is a Bow shot, but the arrow seems kinda off. It just flew in a different trajectory instead or curving.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
He uses his Sniper Rifle in his Final Smash....

Disappointed.

Spirst

Wow, hamayama is so bad....
I swear, I just slowly put my head down in disappointment after he SD'd and lost to Dark Pit yet AGAIN. He's going again as Pac-Man now. Watch, some other thing will happen and he'll be shooting for Dark Pit again with another character.

Edit: Thankfully, I was wrong. It was way too close for comfort though.

Last edited:

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
Disappointed that he's not a semi-clone along the lines of Lucas/Wolf, but I'm happy either way. I never expected Dark Pit to actually be in the game and I'm glad we got him! Hopefully in Smash 5 he'll have his own moveset, provided he returns.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Warning Received
Yeah, let's just replace him with Dark Shulk and Dr. Luigi. Totally more moveset potential there...
Umm.. no. How 'bout a character that ppl actually want. One with a unique moveset who isn't just another gay ass clone taking up another slot.

Last edited by a moderator:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Umm.. no. How 'bout a character that ppl actually want. One with a unique moveset who isn't just another gay ass clone taking up another slot.
Okay man, that's taking it a bit to far. Calm down.

I don't like Dark Pit, but you don't have to bring in slurs.

Last edited by a moderator:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It's never been about slots. It's about bringing in a wide array of characters for the time they have. It's simple really, cut DP and another clone takes his place.

Oh, and DP has topped quite a few popularity charts. I'm sorry that most of his fanbase isn't even aware he's playable, but you'll see how popular he is when he's formally unveiled.

Last edited:

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
It's never been about slots. It's about bringing in a wide array of characters for the time they have. It's simple really, cut DP and another clone takes his place.

Oh, and DP has topped quite a few popularity charts. I'm sorry that most of his fanbase isn't even aware he's playable, but you'll see how popular he is when he's formally unveiled.
I'm actually glad DP made the cut what are you talking about?

People do actually want Dark Pit though, obviously you do not, but fortunately for us, you do not speak for everyone.
As his own character though? Yeah, I don't think so.

So apparently YOU speak for everyone?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom