• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Better Half: Dark Pit General/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Oh, yeah, no two ways about that. I'd be over the moon for Mother to get more representation - Lucas is one of my mains in Brawl and Ness is one of my brother's mains, to boot.

I don't deny that Dark Pit has an incredibly small role. Honestly, he wouldn't be my first choice of clone, let alone newcomer. And yeah, it's undeniably because Sakurai loves his babies and lavishes attention on them. I'm not entirely certain I agree with the argument that he's a waste of slot, though (not saying you're suggesting that; it's just a popular argument overall) - I think that, if Sakurai wanted to keep Wolf and Lucas in the game, he would have.
The exclusion of Lucas in particular, if he isn't one of the supposed remaining slots, is totally baffling to me. I don't think Dark Pit is a waste of a slot exactly - we don't even know how he plays yet so it's far too early to make judgements - but Sakurai is going to have to do a lot to convince me the development time was well-spent. This is the first character inclusion that's ever had me question his priorities before. It's another reason why I can't stand these leaks, I prefer to be presented with new characters and details the way I was intended to. I probably wouldn't be so on-board with Wii Fit Trainer had I just seen her on a leaked CSS instead of her trailer.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One half of me says Dark Pit was included as a promoted alternate costume like Lucina, another half of me tells me Dark Pit was included as a **** you to the fans that criticize character choices.

On the bright side, at least they aren't trying to capitalize on Dark Pit like with Decapre.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How can something that's not been officially revealed be capitalized on?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The exclusion of Lucas in particular, if he isn't one of the supposed remaining slots, is totally baffling to me. I don't think Dark Pit is a waste of a slot exactly - we don't even know how he plays yet so it's far too early to make judgements - but Sakurai is going to have to do a lot to convince me the development time was well-spent. This is the first character inclusion that's ever had me question his priorities before. It's another reason why I can't stand these leaks, I prefer to be presented with new characters and details the way I was intended to. I probably wouldn't be so on-board with Wii Fit Trainer had I just seen her on a leaked CSS instead of her trailer.
Honestly, DP's inclusion makes much more sense when you look at him as an extra, easy to make clone probably included towards the end of development. I doubt much development time was put into him. He's also not that minor in Uprising, I'd say. He's an "ally" of sorts when you first meet him, he's a boss multiple times throughout the game, he becomes your friend near the end, and is even playable in one of the game's last chapters and in Light Vs. Dark and is even an important component of said game mode.

Last edited:

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Honestly, DP's inclusion makes much more sense when you look at him as an extra, easy to make clone probably included towards the end of development. I doubt much development time was put into him. He's also not that minor in Uprising, I'd say. He's an "ally" of sorts when you first meet him, he's a boss multiple times throughout the game, he becomes your friend near the end, and is even playable in one of the game's last chapters and in Light Vs. Dark and is even an important component of said game mode.
not to mention he saves your life

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Pit should be more of a grounded fighter, given he can't fly, while Dark Pit should be an aerial fighter, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
How about this as an alt. color for Dark Pit?

[collapse="Shadow Pit"]
[/collapse]

You know, those Pit knockoffs the Chaos Kin creates.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I'm really happy Dark Pit is going to be in the game. I just hope not a Complete Clone. He should use Claws, Cannons and Staffs.
Should Pit and Dark Pit have different recoveries?

kro_

Smash Apprentice
I think a character using several weapons would look goofy, as much as I like the idea. Pit made this point clear to me. I really don't like the Guardian Orbs and Upperdash Arm moves.

HotelWaffle

Smash Apprentice
I hope hes a lot different it would be cool if hes more physical and got something like the beam claws

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Found high res versions of KIU concept art by Masaki Hirooki.

Pit: http://www.kidicaruswiki.org/images/0/0b/Pit_conceptart.png
Dark Pit: http://www.kidicaruswiki.org/images/a/a7/DarkPit_ConceptArt.png
(Other characters' art can be found on the Kid Icarus Wiki as well.)

While not visible in-game, there are a few differences between Pit and Dark Pit besides color. This could carry over into Smash Wii U, given HD resolution allows to work on smaller details. Even the 3DS version could have, given Pit's model in Smash has more quality than his KIU model.

If the Fire Emblem: Awakening character models are anything to go by, it seems Sakurai's team used previous games' concept art as basis for the new character models. (Robin and Lucina look closer to the art work of Yusuke Kozaki in Smash than they look in FEA, because of their original game's chibified models.)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

It'a worth noting that Pit still uses a "dark" palette swap, but said costume is different. Notably now the scarf is purple and there appears to be a larger emphasis on a silver coloring.

Will this mean in contrast Dark Pit will have a "light" costume?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Guys remember how Ganondorf's Melee model had a sword in it, even though he doesn't use it in-game:

I have a bad feeling Dark Pit has a chance being a near-pure clone, I want him to be Luigified. :(

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
We have yet to see anything related to Dark Pit besides his ending cameo in Palutena's trailer and THE SELECTION SCREEN IMAGES. There's no reason to doubt Dark Pit until we SEE gameplay or an in-battle picture leak.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I really wish they'd just have "revealed" him in Palutena's trailer like Lucina.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Maybe it's because he has something worth a trailer?
Maybe he wasn't a character at the time they made the animation for the trailer. Then again, they could've shown gameplay of him right after the tease at the end without it requiring much effort.

It might just be that they had a better idea of how to fit Lucina into Robin's trailer.

Anyway, here's my Dark Pit fan art:

Can't wait to play as that!

dedekong

Smash Cadet
Guys remember how Ganondorf's Melee model had a sword in it, even though he doesn't use it in-game:

I have a bad feeling Dark Pit has a chance being a near-pure clone, I want him to be Luigified. :(
"Sakurai bias" may save us.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Maybe he wasn't a character at the time they made the animation for the trailer. Then again, they could've shown gameplay of him right after the tease at the end without it requiring much effort.

It might just be that they had a better idea of how to fit Lucina into Robin's trailer.

Anyway, here's my Dark Pit fan art:

Can't wait to play as that!
Then why would Pittoo be there in the trailer? It seems pointless to have an animated segment, unless you meant that the Dark Pit tease scene was added last-minute, which I suppose is a possibility. :I

"Sakurai bias" may save us.
I reeeaallly hope so, he has so many ways to be different, it would be kinda sad to see him as an almost pure-clone.. J:

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

We see a bit of the Silver Bow in the corner. It's weird enough depicting a character with a weapon they can't use, but it's even weirder depicting them with two weapons while he can only use the one.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Then why would Pittoo be there in the trailer? It seems pointless to have an animated segment, unless you meant that the Dark Pit tease scene was added last-minute, which I suppose is a possibility. :I
Perhaps when they commissioned the animation, Dark Pit was still a costume - he'd still have a unique model, voice acting and get called by name. Makes sense to have him just as a minor tease for that. That's what I think probably happened. They would've commissioned that a while before E3, and Dark Pit becoming a clone only in the last 6 months of development seems plausible.

Then by the time E3 rolled around, either he wasn't complete enough as a clone to show gameplay OR they didn't think he would fit in the trailer well even with the tease and so decided to let it end as originally intended OR they just wanted to leave Dark Pit as a surprise. By comparison, Lucina was totally integrated into the FE trailer, so it's not a stretch to think that Dark Pit wasn't originally intended to be playable at the time they made the Palutena trailer cutscenes.

So I doubt we're getting a Dark Pit trailer. It seems to me that only non-clones get to star in their own trailers, and at this point Dark Pit could only be in a trailer if he were included in Duck Hunt or Bowser Jr's trailers, which wouldn't make much sense.

Last edited:

kro_

Smash Apprentice
We see a bit of the Silver Bow in the corner. It's weird enough depicting a character with a weapon they can't use, but it's even weirder depicting them with two weapons while he can only use the one.
Isn't it the Dark Pit staff?

Maikou

Smash Ace
Actually, Dark Pit carried the weapons he used in Chapter 6 all at the same time. How else would he switch so quickly? he only retreats to recover in that chapter. Besides that, Dark Pit can use both of those weapons in-game. And also, he doesn't have a home base or anything of sort, meaning that Dark Pit canonically holds on him every weapon he uses in that chapter, likely as Weapon Gems or he stole Link's Adventure Pouch....

And he is NOT going to be a full-on clone! At worst, he will be a Semi-Clone. Seriously, what does it take to convince you people of that?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
At worst, he will be a Semi-Clone. Seriously, what does it take to convince you people of that?
Dark Pit's placement, between Marth's descendant and Mario with different clothing.

The ONLY things semi-clones I can imagine is Dark Pit animation for the neutral B, being the staff, and maybe the down B.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Actually, Dark Pit carried the weapons he used in Chapter 6 all at the same time. How else would he switch so quickly? he only retreats to recover in that chapter. Besides that, Dark Pit can use both of those weapons in-game. And also, he doesn't have a home base or anything of sort, meaning that Dark Pit canonically holds on him every weapon he uses in that chapter, likely as Weapon Gems or he stole Link's Adventure Pouch....

And he is NOT going to be a full-on clone! At worst, he will be a Semi-Clone. Seriously, what does it take to convince you people of that?
That's a pretty bold claim. Who's to say the weapons weren't there already? After all, he only uses two weapons before flying up to the platforms above the fountain where he uses his signature weapon.

As I said, you can see the Dark Pit staff there, so I'm guessing he's gonna use that. Dark Pit with Guardian Orbitars doesn't sound right. I also imagine they might swap the Upperdash Arm for something while they're first at it, so my prediction is that he won't a clone.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Dark Pit's placement, between Marth's descendant and Mario with different clothing.

The ONLY things semi-clones I can imagine is Dark Pit animation for the neutral B, being the staff, and maybe the down B.
If he has the staff in the render, I'm pretty sure he'll use it for more than an Neutral B. Ganondorf's Melee render doesn't mean much anymore, that kind of "false advertising" wouldn't happen in modern Smash.

I expect the Up-B to be the same, obviously, but it doesn't really need to change. Same with the down-b. I kinda thing the side-b is going to be claws or something, but that's purely guesswork, it could be the same.

The thing is, Pit's bow breaks into two for some attacks (unless that's changed) and the staff wouldn't be able to do that, so he'd have at least a few different A moves. A Wolf-style "not-clone but still a clone because shutup" kind of thing.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
If he has the staff in the render, I'm pretty sure he'll use it for more than an Neutral B. Ganondorf's Melee render doesn't mean much anymore, that kind of "false advertising" wouldn't happen in modern Smash.

I expect the Up-B to be the same, obviously, but it doesn't really need to change. Same with the down-b. I kinda thing the side-b is going to be claws or something, but that's purely guesswork, it could be the same.

The thing is, Pit's bow breaks into two for some attacks (unless that's changed) and the staff wouldn't be able to do that, so he'd have at least a few different A moves. A Wolf-style "not-clone but still a clone because shutup" kind of thing.
If fact, I imagine him using the Silver Bow for normal attacks. It's his signature weapon, despite the the fact the Dark Pit's staff is named after him.

I also imagine claws as a side B, and maybe palms as the down-B? There's wouldn't be too much animations to change, yet it could be very different from the guardian orbitars. Or he uses others orbitars.

And for the neutral-B, the staff. Act like the arrows, but damage increases with distance. And a new animation. I'm pretty sure Lucina have some new animations (the Counter at least)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I feel like DP was planned a long time ago as a last-minute clone though, with the Twitter tease in the beginning.
I feel like Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario were planned as characters if there was enough time, if there wasn't, they would have been costumes.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I feel like DP was planned a long time ago as a last-minute clone though, with the Twitter tease in the beginning.
I feel like Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario were planned as characters if there was enough time, if there wasn't, they would have been costumes.
I don't really think that makes much sense, especially with Sakurai's apparent bias towards Kid Icarus. If anything, you'd think Dark Pit was already planned as a pallete swap with how F***ING LAZY Sakurai's team is being with Alternate Costumes. All he'd have to do is put in red eyes, gold hems, change the color of the bow and voice and bam. Lazy, boring pallete swap waste.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Dark Pit is probably just a bonus clone. A costume that got lucky and ended up getting his own slot like Lucina did.

I'm curious and excited to see how they'll make him different though. Pit seems to be like a much more close range fighter with a meh projectile this time so maybe Dark Pit will function much better at a long range. I could definitely see that if he actually is holding his Staff in the render, since Staffs are generally long range weapons.

Also wonder what his Final Smash is too, since I doubt it's the GST. Maybe the Lightning Chariot?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

It'a worth noting that Pit still uses a "dark" palette swap, but said costume is different. Notably now the scarf is purple and there appears to be a larger emphasis on a silver coloring.

Will this mean in contrast Dark Pit will have a "light" costume?
I'm totally maining Light Dark Pit and 'Dark' Pit. :laugh:

ObsidianFH

Smash Rookie
If they include a light colored skin for Dark Pit that'll only induce more confusion... Which might be sort of fun >: ]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom