• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikmin & Olimar: Community Guide and FAQ

Florida

イーグランツ
There have been many questions asked amongst the Pikmin & Olimar community. No matter how many times those questions have been answered, they always end being brought up by another sooner or later. To stop repetitive threads such as these, and to ultimately answer any questions people have regarding Pikmin & Olimar, I have constructed this questions and answers guide. PLEASE READ all questions and answers before creating another thread. This thread does not go over anything already covered on the Smash Bros. DOJO!!

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

I. PIKMIN
II. MOVESET
III. ADVANCED TECHNIQUES
IV. STAGE COUNTERPICKS
V. OTHER

I. PIKMIN:

1. What are the attributes of the different pikmin?

Red: High attack power, attacks imbued with incendiary properties, immune to fire
(.) The red pikmin are great for aerials and smashes. Aerial attacks can set up combos, while smash attacks can be used to finish off opponents.

A. What attacks is the red pikmin immune to?

Red pikmin are immune to any attacks that are made up of fire properties. The full list of attacks red pikmin are immune to is the following:

Code:
[b]Neutral B:[/b]  Mario  Luigi  Bowser  Fox  Falco  Wolf  Falcon  Charizard  Ike  GAW  Snake
[b]Down B:[/b]  Link  Toon Link  Samus  Fox  Falco  Wolf  Falcon  Snake
[b]Side B:[/b]  Luigi  Zelda  Samus  Falcon  Ness  Lucas  Pikachu  GAW  Snake
[b]Up B:[/b]  Diddy Kong  Zelda  Fox  Falco  Charizard
[b]Final Smash:[/b]  Mario  Yoshi  Zero Suit Samus  ROB  Ness  Lucas  Snake

[b]F-Smash:[/b]  ROB  Olimar  GAW  Snake
[b]U-Smash:[/b]  Samus  Olimar  Snake
[b]D-Smash:[/b]  Snake
[b]F-Air:[/b]  Samus  Olimar  Charizard
[b]U-Air:[/b]  Olimar
[b]D-Air:[/b]  ROB  Olimar
[b]B-Air:[/b]  ROB  Olimar
[b]D-Tilt:[/b]  Samus

*Red pikmin are immune to GAW's side b only if the number summoned is six.
*Red pikmin are immune to Olimar's attacks only if a red pikmin is used.
*Red pikmin can be used to trigger Snake's dsmash traps without getting injured.

Yellow: Range of attack slightly larger than usual; easy to hit enemies with, travel in slight arcs when thrown, attacks imbued with electrical properties

Blue: Strong throwing attacks, slightly more durable than average, immune to water

Purple: Doesn't fly far when thrown, short range, slow, high attack power, slams into enemies instead of latching on when thrown, most durable

White: Quick and light, when latched onto opponents, poison does additional damage, least durable, farthest range when thrown, weakest attack power

tux_do

Smash Cadet
that is a pretty good faq I have to admit, but yeah, hopefully you'll get some good stuff up there soon

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
If this is going to be stickied take everything from my pikmin observations thread as it apears to be the most robust pikmin data thread on this board. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142180

and white pikmin does only 54 at max. I miscalculated before.

blue pikmin go the same distance and speed as red pikmin. its white pikmin that go the farthest

add in that electric, fire and white pikmin all have a chance to "tap" the person they are latched on to interupting attacks such as charging a smash attack.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I'm am actually planning on putting up an Olimar guide. I have been working a good bit with him and I am almost done with the guide.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
I put this in the other thread, but I'm adding it here:

Something about the recovery. I got to play a few more hours today and after a winning streak it seemed like everyone was trying to figure out how to keep me off the platform.

Olimar's Up B will home down if you're trying to recover and are close enough to the ledge. However, this will only happen if no one is already holding on to the ledge. It's unfortunately a big weakness right there.

However, someone also said that you can't latch on if someone is holding the ledge, and that's not true. Basically, if you're under the ledge and your opponent isn't in invincibility frames, your Up B will first knock him off, and if you're long enough for your next pikmin to reach, that one will grab the ledge, at least that's what it looks like.

And this is coming from experience from today. These two situations popped up more than once and in those times I either fell to my doom because I tried to home in from above while they were hanging, or waiting until I was under and knocked him off while still grabbing the ledge. If no one was holding on, I'd Up B immediatly and still be able to home in despite being above the ledge.

Edit:

I took a visit to the thread about tether recovery characters being gimped, and after reading a bit, I added this:

I've been reading through the pages more carefully, and I realized certain things.

First, I might have been wrong about the home in from under the ledge. I was already at about a 45 degree angle at the time, so from under the ledge when an opponent is already there, you may not home in.

Second, you will knock off the opponent depending on which pikmin is at the end of your chain when you Up B. I know I did this once using a yellow pikmin and I hit the guy edge hogging, shocked him (revealing it was a yellow) and then bounced him down KOing him before me. This probably works with red pikmin as well, since they have a hit stun for burning. If you can find if this works for purple pikmin (my next best guess), then three out of five pikmin that you can pull will knock back off your opponent. As for grabbing afterward, still needs to be shown, but at a high enough percentage you will hit your opponent so hard that at the very least you'll kill him before you fall to your death.

Olimar is still awesome.

Florida

イーグランツ
Thank you for the help. I do plan on using impressions and guides from other members to help lengthen and complete the FAQ. Right now, I'm still working with the first question-- but I'll progress through eventually.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
IIRC, the Blue Pikmin can travel pretty far when used for A/smash attacks (which I thought was the same from the side+B throw, but apparently isn't). They're supposedly good for grabbing as well. And apparently Purple Pikmin are REALLY good for smashing; common knowledge, sure, but I think people really need to be reminded of that. And since we have at least 3 or more ways other than the down+B whistle to switch our Pikmin, it should be easier to cycle to our Purples when we need them. And I think alot can be learned from training videos, like one of the better ones is from this guy "Infil" (youtube). That's actually where I got the suggestions from. There's about 4-5 minutes of good P&O in-depth training there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkSi-i9T7m4

Just thought I'd mention it just incase, I think it'll be very helpful for a FAQ. Can't wait to see it finished!

kafke

Smash Apprentice
I put this in the other thread, but I'm adding it here:

Something about the recovery. I got to play a few more hours today and after a winning streak it seemed like everyone was trying to figure out how to keep me off the platform.

Olimar's Up B will home down if you're trying to recover and are close enough to the ledge. However, this will only happen if no one is already holding on to the ledge. It's unfortunately a big weakness right there.

However, someone also said that you can't latch on if someone is holding the ledge, and that's not true. Basically, if you're under the ledge and your opponent isn't in invincibility frames, your Up B will first knock him off, and if you're long enough for your next pikmin to reach, that one will grab the ledge, at least that's what it looks like.

And this is coming from experience from today. These two situations popped up more than once and in those times I either fell to my doom because I tried to home in from above while they were hanging, or waiting until I was under and knocked him off while still grabbing the ledge. If no one was holding on, I'd Up B immediatly and still be able to home in despite being above the ledge.

Edit:

I took a visit to the thread about tether recovery characters being gimped, and after reading a bit, I added this:
so does the pikmin chain first knowdown the opponent and then grab the ledge, or just only one of those?

Proven

Smash Apprentice
so does the pikmin chain first knowdown the opponent and then grab the ledge, or just only one of those?
What I believed before was that the first pikmin on the chain does the knock off while the second pikmin on the chain does the grab. I have great doubts about this now and I've gone a week without Brawl so I haven't been able to test it either.

IllidR

Smash Champion
What I believed before was that the first pikmin on the chain does the knock off while the second pikmin on the chain does the grab. I have great doubts about this now and I've gone a week without Brawl so I haven't been able to test it either.
I'm 99% sure that it's confirmed that even if the chain makes contact with the person AND the ledge they still will not grab on.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I'm 99% sure that it's confirmed that even if the chain makes contact with the person AND the ledge they still will not grab on.
You can go ahead and be 100% certain. I tested it several times and posted about it in my guide. If someone is edgehogging you cannot grapple the edge.

IllidR

Smash Champion
You can go ahead and be 100% certain. I tested it several times and posted about it in my guide. If someone is edgehogging you cannot grapple the edge.
Alright, I was just giving the 99% because although I've heard of it AND seen it in action, who knows what we could discover in the future.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I was just giving the 99% because although I've heard of it AND seen it in action, who knows what we could discover in the future.
illdr is right 100% isnt an accurate raiting due to people on this board saying they have done it a couple of times so it wouldnt be right if you say 100% of the time it isnt going to work

Top Bottom