• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Physical or Digital?

Which?

• Total voters

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I'm used to buying physical copies, when available.

1. Sexy box art and shiny, useless manuals.
  2. Hate waiting to download + installing new games.
  3. Digital copies take up more memory space.
  4. Encourages me to go out to buy games.
Only disadvantage is seeing my shelves stack up. But I'm used to that.

Last edited:

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
I'm used to buying physical copies, when available.

1. Sexy box art and shiny, useless manuals.
  2. Hate waiting to download + installing new games.
  3. Digital copies take up more memory space.
  4. Encourages me to go out to buy games.
Only disadvantage is seeing my shelves stack up. But I'm used to that.
Hopefully I'm not too hyped the night before launch and download the hefty game that takes up too much space and be stuck with it like I did with ACNL. :p

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Physical cause of the box art

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
A digital game collection just isn't as cool as a physical one. On top of that, I've been playing video games for well over 20 years; since I was 5. I imagine if I would of kept some of those games I could have gotten some good money off of other collectors, or at least bragging rights. :/

I tend to only buy digital copies if I have no other choice. I rather save system memory for other things like Music, DLC, etc...

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'll probably get the Digital Version, but buy the Physical Version and give the game to my brother, lol. I just want the box.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
for sure digital. apparently nintendo has a way of backing up that you bought the game using your account so that you'll be ok even if you lose the system (or something to that effect).

and i have a couple other physical games and i don't like to have to trade out the cards because my space is kind of tight. and i don't really do anything with the box after getting the game (basically shove it in a drawer because i don't have space in my apartment).

the one i'm not sure about yet is smash wii u. while it is annoying to switch around disks... i don't know. especially if i buy a CD case so i can save space with games for all my systems... but still, having the disk itself that can go in other people's wii u systems... ...

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Physical because I already preordered it. And because it causes me to be more hyped when I see the box and unwrap it. <3

Reaca

Smash Rookie
NNID
Reaca1461
Physical without a doubt. I like to have a display piece along side the actual game.

Snow Black

Smash Cadet
NNID
sn0wblack
Definitely the physical version. You can't have fun at a midnight release sitting at home watching a download bar!

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
While I usually go either depending on the situation, this one I'm going physical. Mostly because I wanted that gold coin, (which I'm still not sure if I will get or not.) Either way, the physical version has been pre-ordered already for me. :3

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
Physical. Saves memory and if DS1 runs out of charge then I can put it on the charger and play on ds2 so I don't have to sit next to the wall :p

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
While I usually go either depending on the situation, this one I'm going physical. Mostly because I wanted that gold coin, (which I'm still not sure if I will get or not.) Either way, the physical version has been pre-ordered already for me. :3
I live in Taiwan but owns an NTSC 3DS, so if I can not order NTSC Smash bro on the web then I'll have to buy an eshop card and buy Smash Bros on Nintendo eshop.

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
I wanna get it as soon as possible, and as much as I want to get the physical copy, I'm getting digital. That way, I ALWAYS have Smash on me. I can NEVER lose it. And the line for the game at GameStop is gonna be HUGE, what if I don't make it in time to get a copy? That's wasted gas. They'll never run out of digital copies, so that's my choice here.

LucaSmash

Smash Cadet
Both, since the Smash XL comes with a digital version and I'll also get a physical copy.

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
Digital. Get my 3DS games that way whenever possible.

Smash_Of_Fate

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Babael_Of_Fate
3DS FC
1134-7601-5121
Always physical, always! Unless there is no option except for the digital copy, like certain virtual console games for example.

Raijinken

Smash Master
If Gamestop doesn't have a midnight release, or if I have a Japanese test on the release day, then I'll probably cancel my preorder and just download. Might have to clear off some virtual console games, but oh well, worth it.

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
Physical. I don't see any reason to get the digital version, except pure convenience.

I don't find it at all troublesome to carry 3 or 4 games with me wherever I take my 3DS.
I also like to collect games.

Raijinken

Smash Master
There's also the tradeoff of "I could lose Smash if I ever take it out of the 3DS, but if the 3DS breaks, I may not be able to recover the digital copy without tons of hoop jumping with Nintendo.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Digital. I don't like dealing with switching cartridges, not to mention having boxes occupying space in my room bothers me.

I only really buy physical when I am not sure I will enjoy the game, so I can sell it if I don't. The odds of me disliking the new Smash Bros are abysmally low.

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
Digital. I don't like dealing with switching cartridges, not to mention having boxes occupying space in my room bothers me.

I only really buy physical when I am not sure I will enjoy the game, so I can sell it if I don't. The odds of me disliking the new Smash Bros are abysmally low.
I didn't add that in my response. But yeah, what you said. X3

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
Physical. I don't see any reason to get the digital version, except pure convenience.

I don't find it at all troublesome to carry 3 or 4 games with me wherever I take my 3DS.
I also like to collect games.
Yeah I have a little on-the-go case that holds my 3ds and three games, so four games in total, which is enough for a car trip or whatever. And I can easily carry it in one hand.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I love having full games digitally because it's there for you to play within the game console without having to ever bother switching the game card. (it gets its own cute little icon on your home menu too!)
At the same time, I like having a neat game card and box that will probably just... sit and collect dust forever.

I'll most likely go digital just for the convenience.

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
I'd certainly find it troublesome to carry the 14/37 3DS titles I own that have a retail release around with me at the same time. The convenience of having everything on you at all times is great, even more so if you're bumming around somewhere and bump into somebody with a 3DS.

Am gonna have to get another SD card after I get the titles off my wishlist though. Gotta say, those 32 gigs went a lot further than I initially thought it would.

Last edited:

Servine

Smash Cadet
I'm going to go physical for this one. I may switch to digital, though, considering I just now got a 32 GB SD card. If there's a pre-order bonus, though, I'm definitely going physical.

Yakko93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ohmy1985
Physical. I want to display the different Smash boxes. Digital is rare for me, I got Pikmin 3 from MK8. I mostly use digital for Virtual Console.

Last edited:

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Digital would be convenient and nice, but with a game like Smash I think I need the real deal, box and everything. Plus I already pre-ordered it at Gamestop lol

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I'm not sure which I want.

Sexy box art. Sexy game card that I can lick..I mean stare at for 15 hours.

Or download it and play it early and tease my friends that I already have the game.

(play it during class because it's friday imo.)

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I think I may have answered this in a similar thread, but personally, I do not mind whether I get the game physically or digitally.

Although I do usually prefer getting games physically.

Top Bottom