• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PGD: Happy Birthday, Red!

Vale

Smash Ace
I was thinking it had to be something other than JavaScript when I was looking at the requirements for certain positions, but may have been it. I thought I had some sort of JS experience while in school but I guess not. And yeah, most definitely the .NET framework that I mostly see in requirements. In the 2.5 years in upper division as an undergraduate, none of the classes dealt with .NET nor C++ and I happened to take classes that didn't deal with JavaScript. Everything was in Java and C, and a little dabble in Perl and Ruby. Either I'm missing something during school or these stuff I was supposed to self-experiment before hand.
Huh, I would've thought for sure the degree would have required at least an Intro to C++ class. I guess I wouldn't know though, as of right now I've basically just taken all of the "[language] programming" classes that are offered as dual enrollment. I haven't messed around with JavaScript, though. One of my friends is decent at it, and it seems like a pretty cool language. Also, I'm a bit surprised Python hasn't shown up at all.

Lua is also gaining some ground for scripting and rapid prototyping and might be worth a look as well, but you pretty much know where to go.
Lua is probably my favorite language. 1 based arrays are basically the best thing ever. And the dynamic typing is super cool, as long as you comment properly to avoid mismatch errors.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
My university isn't really ideal for a CS major, but it does provide a degree in it. Yeah nothing in it's BA plan has C++, but probably their MA would. I don't think I have a reason to go that far yet. Oh right, Python also appeared frequently in most of the job position requirements.

I'm in that ` there's always programmers better than you ` --

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I still stick to good ol' HTML/CSS since that's all I've needed since, like, the MySpace days lmao. One day I plan on learning Python via Codeacademy, but since I code for fun and don't need anything fancy, I just pick easy **** that gets the basics done.

Angiance

Smash Lord
So, what type of coding is needed for creating a basic video game? I'm wanting to create a game so that I'll have something to compose music to :)

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
C# is the best when working with Unity, but you can use Javascript instead if you're a ninny. I don't know anything about Boo, but that's supposedly a thing too.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Point to Phoenix for the ninja.

If you're not working with Unity specifically, you have a number of options, at least from my own research. If you want to code for Android, Java's your bet. If you want to code for a console (which I'd advise against as a beginner), C++ is your bet. Standalone PC development can use either one, and Lua is also a valid option. Web-based PC apps prefer JavaScript or Adobe Flash and ActionScript, preferably with a working knowledge of HTML (you could do HTML exclusively, but it's often a different beast for games and best for stripped-down or narrative-driven work).

Python is also a thing. EVE uses it, apparently. Can't corroborate Boo as a thing for games specifically but I see no reason why not.

There's less complicated options as well if you're more into creation and less into coding. GameMaker: Studio is free on Steam for limited use and publishing. RPGMaker VX Ace is also a good option if you're into its flavor of games, though you just missed it on Midweek Madness. I picked it up during the holiday sale; if you're interested and willing to wait, it'll probably drop again during the next seasonal one.

Me, personally, I just fired up Dev-C++ for the first time in two years tonight, and I'm shaking the rust off.

Vale

Smash Ace
lualualualualualualualualualualualualualua
Um, Angiance, what kind of game do you plan on making? I guess I'll be the one to point out that learning an entire programming language or multiple languages to create a full game just to have something to compose music for sounds like a horrible idea. If it's something simple, like a rehash of old games (asteroids, space invaders, etc.), then you should be fine. If you want something with more depth, RPGMaker or GameMaker are your best bets if you ever want to move on to the music part.

html and css aren't programming languages. but we've also been talking about scripting i guess i can't complain. i'm probably just jealous i haven't learned it yet

Angiance

Smash Lord
Music is my life, I NEED somethin' to compose to

I'd like to create a fighter using hand drawn animations of mine, but that's probably horribly complicated code wise

But eh...my musical style is sort've...jazzy I guess? Sorta soft, soothing, and atmospheric sounding, but fast paced at the same time if that makes sense. What game genre do you all think that kinda music would fit with?

Last edited:

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
html and css aren't programming languages. but we've also been talking about scripting i guess i can't complain. i'm probably just jealous i haven't learned it yet
WHATEVER VALE. ;____; It's all I know, okay?! It's actually how I wrote the old High Voltage Clan site, lol.... waaaaaaaaay back in the day.
Music is my life, I NEED somethin' to compose to
Sounds like you'd be better off pairing up with someone who needs music for a project they're already working on. Most games are team-made for a reason: it's pretty hard to do the programming, visuals, audio, and story if you aren't experienced in all of them. I'm sure there's someone out there who needs music for something.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
As low level (inefficient) programming for simple games, I had to use Java for school projects.

And with my ineptitude showing, I just got a e-mail saying that they're gonna pursue other [more qualified] candidates.
Didn't want to deal with security coding anyways -- something you shouldn't trial and error with. Back to the search grind.

Scatz

Smash Champion
If you're trying to create a game without a team, then you're going to run yourself into the ground with the amount of work that needs to be done. You're better off making the music with the inspiration of what it should be used, then have someone experienced in animating to do it using your music.

That sucks Beros. Hope you land one soon.

Angiance

Smash Lord
It's like...there is just no reason for me to make music these days (cause it's not being used for ANYTHING). no matter how I compose it, I still feel dead inside. Urm, maybe RPG maker then.

Also, someone that creates, composes, codes, draws, and writes the storyline, all at the same time is ZUN.

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
Idk what to tell you then. I have seen a handful of people still write music just from either playing a game, having it from a random thought, or for just because. You need to find out why writing music isn't clicking for you anymore.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Also, someone that creates, composes, codes, draws, and writes the storyline, all at the same time is ZUN.
I mean of course there's exceptions, but think of how long it took him to learn all those skills. Unless you're willing to dedicate literally years to learning how to program, construct great storylines/gameplay, AND create passable graphics, I suggest you focus on what you love -- the music -- and collaborate with other people.

But it's up to you of course. If you want to go the one-man-band route, godspeed.

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
*sigh* yeah. Although I'm multi-talented, I guess it's good to focus on one thing :)

Anybody like flowers? I love flowers
IA.full.979889.jpg

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Some snippets.

@ Geoberos Geoberos : That sucks. Their loss, I say. Godspeed in the search.

Yes, HTML and CSS aren't programming languages, but they're still relevant. Plus they're important anyway.
We kind of need it to have a social.

Seconding that the one-man-band route is a pain in the ass.
And with an ass like mine, you know you can count on that.

@Belle: For the record, I'm not quite a one-man band. If one of my projects progresses to a point it needs some tunes, I'll let you know. It'd also be a fair bet to look into RPG Maker's Steam Workshop that just opened up; I've seen several people post music in there for others to use in projects.

Good news: The network technician job pulled through.
Bad news: In ten days I'll have to actually know what I'm doing.

Flowers are OK. Prefer herbs.
Might restart my herb garden this year. We'll see.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
The only languages I know are Spanish and English. I know some Italian and Japanese too but I'm not too proficient anymore.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I know French well enough to understand it when I read/hear it.... but it's been too long since school, so I can't remember how to conjugate correctly anymore. =\

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I'm lucky Italian is just like Spanish (both being romance languages) otherwise I don't think I'd remember as much. Animu has kinda helped me maintain some of the language and conjugation but I haven't watched anything in a while so yeah.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Well, Red, My musical style as of now is, like I said, atmospheric; soothing; fast paced. If that's the kinda music ya want :)

Therapy, somethin' we all need

It's kinda funny how the most important language is body language

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I agree with both of you.

When you combine body language and assembly language, you get lovin'.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Trying to get used to this
Edit: new phone
But GOD, I hate touch screens, and phone seems to hate smashboards...
Also, I love japanese and it's an easy language, but I lack a decent amount of vocabulary.

Last edited:

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
easy language
o___o

You must be insanely good at languages to think Japanese is easy. I took it for a semester (before realizing it would interfere with my majors), and it wasn't impossible, but that **** wasn't easy imo. ;;

Disregarding Latin (since it's literally all memorization), the easiest language for me was French. Then again, Romance languages kinda stick since my high school required us to take Spanish, French, and Latin, then I took Italian in college, and they're all the same-ish anyway.

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
my school offers chinese, so i decided to take it
it was a pretty easy language at the time, but i didn't practice at all so i've forgotten most of it

edit: is japanese harder for some reason?

Last edited:

PZ

Smash Lord
I am pretty sure Japan's written language is harder than spoken but besides that I can't think of any other major reason it would be hard.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I knew french, but my case is the same as Kaylo's where it's kinda slipping from my mind. I think any language can be easy to learn and retain if you had to use it in daily life, but that, ain't the case for me. As much as i'd like to fully learn japanese, I feel like it'd probably just slip from my mind.

Hell, english is probably the dumbest and must overly complicated language out there, but I guess it's like math. It's used so much it's nothing but muscle memory speaking.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
If your musical style is atmospheric, soothing and yet fast paced all the time, you're going to have a really boring game.

Reizilla

Lemme just point out that three of the four pokemon Rei listed last page are furbait.

I like too many pokemon so top 2 that'll never change I guess.

Dratini
Deino.
All done.
I was wondering if anyone was going to notice.

Reizilla

Jobs suck. I technically have two at the moment, and it's nice having money, but then you never have time to spend it -- and when you do, you're too damn exhausted. (Plus I'm still broke anyway after student loans.)

Also, might have to get my tonsils out because of chronic bronchitis. I scared. :urg:
I cured my bronchitis by going vegan with a side of lemon juice, just saying. qB[

Top Bottom