• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People who spam projectiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
Zoning is fun because it's a mental battle. If you can't beat it, that means I've outsmarted you. A good zoner isn't just tossing projectiles constantly, that's wicked easy to beat. A good zoner will get inside your head and know your moves before you do. They'll put a Metal Blade exactly where you're trying to dodge, they'll hesitate for a second before firing another laser for you to drop your shield, they'll throw an uncharged power shot just to disrupt your rhythm. If you think zoning is mindless, it's because they've beaten you before you even realized you were playing.

That is why I zone.
You can pretty much mindlessly throw things in this game. Just because zoning is efficient and effective doesn't mean its not brain dead. Especially online, anyone who plays online and says that zoning is "strategic" is simply not confident in their ability to go in, they want easy wins for minimal work. Yes, lazy players like to use zoning characters. Any good player will know that you have to mix things up, that is just part of the game, zoning or not. If you really want to get into someone's head then playing the keep away game isn't the way to do it. Throwing projectiles is ALWAYS SAFE ON BLOCK if you space it correctly. There is no risk for your reward if you're playing your character right. The only real "anti-zoner" character in this game is Zelda. And she's not easy to play. If you really want to get into someone's head play a character like Ganondorf or Charizard. Then you'll understand the meaning of "hard reads" and "mind games"

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Darn, this popcorn's too salty...
But yeah, if you honestly think people who use zoners are completely brain dead, then you're not exactly putting yourself in any better position by making an entire thread for people to bash them. Heck, just holding :GCRT: will force projectile spammers to change up their tactics eventually if they want to come out on top.

Last edited:

Kyris_Crass

Smash Rookie
Well, I think we can agree by now that a reflector or absorber is the best way for the OP to deal with his friend. But I've got a related question. How do you deal with people who use projectile pressure to bait you into a dangerous position and then wail on you? Good Link players are the masters of this - filling the screen with all sorts of garbage and then punishing you for dodging, blocking, or reflecting any of it.

I've been having a lot of trouble with people who play this way, both online and at local tournaments. I just can't wrap my head around it; attacking them feels truly impossible. What are some good strategies for dealing with this?

Random765

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
@Diglett

LOL, , try reading the thread before you make a snotty pretentious comment.

I created it not to complain, but rather create a lively, interactive discussion where SMART and SKILLED players can discuss ways to approach projectile spamming, advantages and disadvantages, and all that good stuff.

Some people on here have offered very insightful advice, and I thank them for that. After all, thats the point of a ****ing message board. Again, thanks guys!

.....And then here you come, trodding along.

No one cares about what you have to say.

Get out.

Last edited:

IncomingGhost

Smash Cadet
@ZeDouchelett

LOL. Hey moron, try reading the thread before you make a snotty pretentious comment.

I created it not to complain, but rather create a lively, interactive discussion where SMART and SKILLED players can discuss ways to approach projectile spamming, advantages and disadvantages, and all that good stuff.

Some people on here have offered very insightful advice, and I thank them for that. After all, thats the point of a ****ing message board. Again, thanks guys!

No one gives a **** about you or what you have to say.

Get the hell out of here idiot.
Not sure what you're expecting for acting like this. I'm a new member as well, but I read the rules

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
@ZeDouchelett

LOL, Hey moron, try reading the thread before you make a snotty pretentious comment.

No one cares about what you have to say.

Get out.

6/10, would have been 4/10 if I didn't take the bait

Random765

Smash Cadet
Spammers are easy to deal with. Zoning is a different business and all players that zone will tell you that. I play a zoning game and basically the way to beat me is to figure out my patterns and find the holes (like a boss battle in any other game). When you are zoning and the other character comes through it's time to react. Try to bait a previous reaction. Maybe the last time you approached they rolled. This is a common strategy of less talented players that are spamming. Shoot shoot shoot roll. Try to bait the roll with an aerial approach. Land, and punish the roll instead of using the aerial. If they are shield grabbing your aerials, make sure you land behind them to remove this option (i.e. cross up aerials). If they use up b OoS (very good option for Samus), again, try to bait it, air dodge, then punish the lag.

You say you main villager. In your case, just put your damn tree up, spam loid yourself from inside the tree (where loid gets out but you are still protected from projectiles, and use pocket if they stupidly shoot their projectiles at your tree. Against Samus, a missile is probably just an attempt to fill up your pocket to follow up with a charge shot. Don't fill your pocket with a missile. CS can tank your missile and hit you. If they throw out a lot of missile CS combos, you can short hop the missile and fast fall to pocket the charged shot. This should make any samus very scared as it is generally a OHKO or a guaranteed shield break. TBH, villager is the toughest matchup for samus IMO.

Someone else mentioned zelda. When I play against a good zelda that is rough too. Her reflect lingers longer than it used to. Farore's wind is a legit attack that goes right through a zoning wall. If you are good at spacing Farore's wind you can definitely brutalize a zoning character unfamiliar with the matchup.

Finally, if you aren't any good with reflect characters and just try to bust them out and reflect, reflect, reflect, you will likely get badly punished by a zoner because they'll be able to bait your reflects and punish.
You make some great points. I never really **** with the tree just because of the start up lag. It's situational, but combining that with the rocket will put it to good use. Good idea man

And yes, some spammers use rolling as their go to defense, especially online in For Glory. Like you said, I try to bait it so they roll into me, then powershield/grab/spike. Very satisfying when it's accomplished.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Main other characters. I'm a huge fan of Rosalina because she can just eat up projectiles with her Down B. But you could also go MegaMan or Robin and fight fire with fire. Or, if you're extremely confident in your abilities, work on dash shielding and such, and just slowly approach him. I'm a huge fan of Capt. Falcon, so I love rushing people down and comboing them into either the knee or a spike.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
You can pretty much mindlessly throw things in this game. Just because zoning is efficient and effective doesn't mean its not brain dead. Especially online, anyone who plays online and says that zoning is "strategic" is simply not confident in their ability to go in, they want easy wins for minimal work. Yes, lazy players like to use zoning characters. Any good player will know that you have to mix things up, that is just part of the game, zoning or not. If you really want to get into someone's head then playing the keep away game isn't the way to do it. Throwing projectiles is ALWAYS SAFE ON BLOCK if you space it correctly. There is no risk for your reward if you're playing your character right. The only real "anti-zoner" character in this game is Zelda. And she's not easy to play. If you really want to get into someone's head play a character like Ganondorf or Charizard. Then you'll understand the meaning of "hard reads" and "mind games"
Zoning is brain dead if your opponent is brain dead. Anyone who's anyone can get around thoughtless projectile spam. "Going in" isn't any more valid a strategy than zoning, and zoning isn't an easy win against anyone competent. Yes, zoning is safe on block. That's the point. There's no risk in doing a SHFF Shiek fair either, it's safe on block, does that mean its brain dead to use Sheik? I fail to see how Zelda is the only "anti-zoner", in fact, I don't think she's even as good at it as Fox, Rosalina, Captain Falcon, Diddy Kong, or ROB.

CubicBurrito45

Smash Cadet
NNID
CubicBurrito45
As a Toon Link main this saddens me.

I never spam projectiles unless its under these circumstances:
1) Your off stage and I'm trying to edge guard you but even then ill probably only use my boomerang.
2) I mainly use the boomerang at an upwards angle in case you try to come at me with short hop F-air or any other air in general but even then I wont spam it more then I need to.
3) I use bombs only when I'm recovering from the ledge or if I'm getting juggled in the air and I have almost no options to prevent that or just to bomb combo but never to spam.
4) If you spam expect to get spammed twice as hard. :smirk:

But for the most part I use Toon Link pretty aggressively approaching with short hops and other means to prevent me from being an item spammer so please don't be that guy that spams and stands on the other side of the stage. :urg:

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
Zoning is brain dead if your opponent is brain dead. Anyone who's anyone can get around thoughtless projectile spam. "Going in" isn't any more valid a strategy than zoning, and zoning isn't an easy win against anyone competent. Yes, zoning is safe on block. That's the point. There's no risk in doing a SHFF Shiek fair either, it's safe on block, does that mean its brain dead to use Sheik? I fail to see how Zelda is the only "anti-zoner", in fact, I don't think she's even as good at it as Fox, Rosalina, Captain Falcon, Diddy Kong, or ROB.
Zoning as a whole is lame, its referred to by everyone as "the lame game" because its naturally brain dead. Anyway, those characters you mentioned do well against zoners because they're the top tier characters characters in the game. They do well against everybody, they're not necessarily designed that way on perpose. Zelda is an anti-zoner because she has tools that specifically counter zoning play. She's got a reflector, a wall, a teleport, and a projectile that isn't just "fire and forget". You have to commit to Dins Fire and you need to use it wisely from all ranges. But yeah, clearly you like to play lame and have found some success with it (probably online) congrats on being that guy that nobody likes to play against.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Zoning as a whole is lame, its referred to by everyone as "the lame game" because its naturally brain dead. Anyway, those characters you mentioned do well against zoners because they're the top tier characters characters in the game. They do well against everybody, they're not necessarily designed that way on perpose. Zelda is an anti-zoner because she has tools that specifically counter zoning play. She's got a reflector, a wall, a teleport, and a projectile that isn't just "fire and forget". You have to commit to Dins Fire and you need to use it wisely from all ranges. But yeah, clearly you like to play lame and have found some success with it (probably online) congrats on being that guy that nobody likes to play against.
You say zoning is lame, sounds like a John to me. Maybe you should try getting good instead of calling foul on someone being better than you. Zelda's hardly the only anti-projectile character. Discounting all the examples I gave as "top tier, therefore they don't count" comes across as a No True Scotsman fallacy to me. (Also, ROB is top tier now? Come on man.) I can list off more characters that are anti-projectile, if you like, in alphabetical order. Captain Falcon. Dark Pit. Diddy Kong. Dr. Mario. Duck Hunt. Falco. Fox. Link. Mario. Mii Gunner. Mr. Game and Watch. Ness. Pac-Man. Palutena. Pit. ROB. Rosalina. Sheik. Shulk. Sonic. Toon Link. Villager. And yes, even Zelda. Seems to me like you're just getting upset that people aren't dumbing down their game for you.

I hereby declare that anyone playing a character other than Kirby is lame. By the law of "biggest whiner wins", anyone who plays a different character is a brain dead try hard and must play the game my way or their wins don't count.

Last edited:

Random765

Smash Cadet
You say zoning is lame, sounds like a John to me. Maybe you should try getting good instead of calling foul on someone being better than you. Zelda's hardly the only anti-projectile character. Discounting all the examples I gave as "top tier, therefore they don't count" comes across as a No True Scotsman fallacy to me. (Also, ROB is top tier now? Come on man.) I can list off more characters that are anti-projectile, if you like, in alphabetical order. Captain Falcon. Dark Pit. Diddy Kong. Dr. Mario. Duck Hunt. Falco. Fox. Link. Mario. Mii Gunner. Mr. Game and Watch. Ness. Pac-Man. Palutena. Pit. ROB. Rosalina. Sheik. Shulk. Sonic. Toon Link. Villager. And yes, even Zelda. Seems to me like you're just getting upset that people aren't dumbing down their game for you.

I hereby declare that anyone playing a character other than Kirby is lame. By the law of "biggest whiner wins", anyone who plays a different character is a brain dead try hard and must play the game my way or their wins don't count.
This debate is more intense than the Obama/Romney battle

Keep it coming lol

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
As a Rosalina main myself, I can just use Gravitational Pull over and over until he/she learns their lesson and make an approach. As Mega Man, I'll just spam shooting Crash Bombers and Metal Blades to cancel each other out until one of us makes an approach. Another way is to just jump over them. That's what I would do.

Random765

Smash Cadet
Purple_Anteater, digiholic does not agree with your statements, claiming that you should adapt to the playstyles of others. Your rebuttal? Would you agree or disagree?

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
I use many characters. Some have no projectiles, some have several. I'm just as good with villager as I am with Captain Falcon and Ganondorf, so I know both sides of the "war on spamming." Personally, I feel like villager is my go-to anti zoning character because the tree and rocket block projectiles. I'm not gonna be that guy that camps offstage and shoots the slingshot all day; I don't find that fun, but that's just my opinion. I feel much more accomplished when I convert a hard read into a zero to death string, and villager excels with that. I like to go in but that's my strategy and I'm not going to tell other people how to play, and if you find something that's working I encourage you to use it, whether people whine about it on threads like this or not. If projectiles are included in this game, people are gonna use them whether you like it or not. Tell me you don't find it intriguing that you can damage someone with very little risk to yourself. I'm tired of people saying "This is OP. That should be nerfed. That's the wrong way to play. That should be entirely removed from the game." How about you get off your lazy glutes and learn not to let it happen to you, maybe actually become a better player? I'm just a kid in high school and I see full grown adults upsetting themselves over things like this.

STFU

-Expand Dong

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I use many characters. Some have no projectiles, some have several. I'm just as good with villager as I am with Captain Falcon and Ganondorf, so I know both sides of the "war on spamming." Personally, I feel like villager is my go-to anti zoning character because the tree and rocket block projectiles. I'm not gonna be that guy that camps offstage and shoots the slingshot all day; I don't find that fun, but that's just my opinion. I feel much more accomplished when I convert a hard read into a zero to death string, and villager excels with that. I like to go in but that's my strategy and I'm not going to tell other people how to play, and if you find something that's working I encourage you to use it, whether people whine about it on threads like this or not. If projectiles are included in this game, people are gonna use them whether you like it or not. Tell me you don't find it intriguing that you can damage someone with very little risk to yourself. I'm tired of people saying "This is OP. That should be nerfed. That's the wrong way to play. That should be entirely removed from the game." How about you get off your lazy glutes and learn not to let it happen to you, maybe actually become a better player? I'm just a kid in high school and I see full grown adults upsetting themselves over things like this.

STFU

-Expand Dong
Mah ***** Expand Dong with the SHOTS yo

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
All the mains you have listed lose to zoning/spamming. Coincidence?

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
All the mains you have listed lose to zoning/spamming. Coincidence?
The character's I listed lose to EVERYONE. Coincidence? No, they're hard to win with.

Okay.

Last edited:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
You're defining projectile spam, not zoning.

There is no real anti-zoner with the definition of zoner. However, Jigs, characters liek sonic, ZSS & Cap, as well as any Reflector character+Villager all counter projectile spam. he's using LInk against your Villager, just ignore his boomerangs, use your lloid for cover, and Pocket his arrows for high damage. Once he's offstage, set a lloid to force him to recover low and get hit by a bowling ball, killing him.

Try and pick stages like Battlefield, where you can drop bowling balls that kill at like 40%, Timber is great there, and Platforms stop projectile spam. If you're playing friendlies, make a custom stage design to tackle Link's flaws and compelment Villager( NO LEDGE SNAPPING, NO JUMPING THRU MAIN LEDGE, LYLAT EDGES, TONS OF PLATFORMS, THE END OF THE HERO OF TIME. FOREVER.)

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not sure if it was already covered earlier in the thread, but the best way to deal with zoning is to rush-down and constantly pressure the opponent so that they cannot throw out a projectile. It is that simple, if they try to throw out an unsafe projectile; punish them. Continue to do it until they space properly. If they are already spacing properly, use your shield to block or intelligently jump to cover more space. Do not jump into the projectiles obviously. The vast majority of characters in this game have a projectile of their own, so counter-zone your opponent if you must.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
My question for everyone here is, who in this game has a safe projectile up close? I don't think anyone does to my knowledge (balance!). Some get grounded to the floor in which you can jump over them (or if you have a fast enough roll) and punish while others have slow enough recoveries to be punished with on block. This is coming from someone who plays Ganon often. I haven't had any trouble with range yet.

As far as approaching, I just roll or jump over them if I'm very far away. And for style points I'd power shield a bunch of them while walking/running towards them.

I will admit though, for "fun" I did attempt to spam and timer scam some people in for glory (I play the way I wanna play!). Some people just couldn't catch me seeing as they kept trying to do the same thing like dash attack towards me. Use your head everyone!

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Either do a running powershield or run>SH>airdodge. It also helps to pick a character with decent aerial options, like Lucina. Or avoid the problem altogether by picking a character with a reflector (Fox, Palutena, Mario, and
HTML:
<a href="http://www.ssbwiki.com/Reflection">others</href>
) or a counter (Lucina, Lucario, Palutena, Shulk, and
HTML:
<a href="http://www.ssbwiki.com/Counterattack">others</href>
). Of course, if the projectiles are spaced poorly you can just roll between them.

EDIT: Wow, that is NOT how I meant this to be formatted. Is there a guide to using BBCode and HTML in Smashboards?

Last edited:

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
The character's I listed lose to EVERYONE. Coincidence? No, they're hard to win with.

Okay.
I use all those characters. They do just fine if you can use all your opportunities to punish your opponent. However, they struggle against projectile spamming (or zoning, whatever you want to call it) more than others. I respect you for challenging yourself and playing many characters that require a very specific playstyle and lots of hard reads to have any success. However, I have no sympathy for a person that makes things difficult for himself and then complains that he had a hard time. Just counter pick and stop feeling sorry for yourself; when I mained Donkey Kong I got mad about this too.

Last edited:

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
I use all those characters. They do just fine if you can use all your opportunities to punish your opponent. However, they struggle against projectile spamming (or zoning, whatever you want to call it) more than others. I respect you for challenging yourself and playing many characters that require a very specific playstyle and lots of hard reads to have any success. However, I have no sympathy for a person that makes things difficult for himself and then complains that he had a hard time. Just counter pick and stop feeling sorry for yourself; when I mained Donkey Kong I got mad about this too.
If i didn't like a challenge i wouldn't play those characters. And my point was that they lose to projectile characters, but generally have lots of bad match ups. Its just the projectile ones that make me salty, especially in smash 4, because its so GD brain dead easy. If I lose to a Pikachu or Falcon who knows what he's doing then i ain't even mad. I'm not trying to win, I'm trying to out think you. If you're not doing any thinking it frustrates me because i'm bored AND having a hard time.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
If i didn't like a challenge i wouldn't play those characters. And my point was that they lose to projectile characters, but generally have lots of bad match ups. Its just the projectile ones that make me salty, especially in smash 4, because its so GD brain dead easy. If I lose to a Pikachu or Falcon who knows what he's doing then i ain't even mad. I'm not trying to win, I'm trying to out think you. If you're not doing any thinking it frustrates me because i'm bored AND having a hard time.
I don't understand who you could be losing to who can spam projectiles and win.

Most projectiles are there to rack up small damage (lasers, boomerang, arrows). If you're getting hit by kill moves like Robin, ZSS, or Villager trees then it sounds like an issue with your defensive game. Everyone can jump, everyone can roll, everyone can block. You have all the tools you need.

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
I don't understand who you could be losing to who can spam projectiles and win.

Most projectiles are there to rack up small damage (lasers, boomerang, arrows). If you're getting hit by kill moves like Robin, ZSS, or Villager trees then it sounds like an issue with your defensive game. Everyone can jump, everyone can roll, everyone can block. You have all the tools you need.
Where did i say that i'm losing? Its possible for me to win and still not have fun. If i was losing i'd be asking for advice. Jesus people, i'm not salty because i'm losing, IM SALTY BECAUSE IM TIRED OF YOUR LAME ASS STRATS. They make me hate this game that I want to love. Beating someone who spams projectiles feels like a job, not a game.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Where did i say that i'm losing? Its possible for me to win and still not have fun. If i was losing i'd be asking for advice. Jesus people, i'm not salty because i'm losing, IM SALTY BECAUSE IM TIRED OF YOUR LAME *** STRATS. They make me hate this game that I want to love. Beating someone who spams projectiles feels like a job, not a game.
Ah, well if that's the case then unfortunately its just how it is. Some people like to play that way. Occasionally I'll even try to timer scam people by running away. I have fun doing it, don't really care if my opponent is.

JustYuck

Big Tipper
:GCLT::GCRT::GCZ: Hit which ever one of these is your sheild button with the right timing that's seriously it.

Alternatively pick up a pocket character with reflector or projectiles. Some characters have both ROB, fox ,zelda ect.
Hold up ROB has a reflector?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
  • Powershield -> dash
  • Spotdodge -> run
  • Short hop air dodge -> repeat
  • Jump in -> dair
  • Counter with better projectiles (if applicable)
  • Jab clash with projectile (if applicable)
  • Pick Rosalina, Palutena, Fox, Falco, Villager, Ness, or G&W
Also pick Mario (Cape), Dr. Mario (Cape), R.O.B. (first few frames of his forward b reflect.) Most close range counters (Little Mac, Greninja, Lucario, Marth, Ike, Lucina) can still be used on projectiles if you're close enough to hit them (or if you're not, just to bat the shot aside). Ness, in addition to his absorb move can reflect projectiles with his Baseball bat.

And if you're playing a character with a good air game when it comes to dropping down on an opponent, most projectiles can just be jumped over so you come down with a nice forward a to the face. Like Sheik.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
The only character I have ever feared in a match against a random player is rob... I am pretty sure he is a toon link counter... He has better close range and projectile's... His Nair is some bull****...

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
Yeah...I understand. A bad player can use a fairly easy and admittedly lame "strategy" to beat a good player, especially in lag. Heavies are soooooo fun to play as but only if you can properly approach, which is virtually impossible with a wall of annoying blocking you out. Sometimes they also think they're cool when they beat you once and leave before you have a chance to counter-pick. When that happens I'm honestly glad that I don't have to deal with their crap anymore, but I feel bad for the next person who will have to play against them. The current face of For Glory (for salt) is the player who moves by rolling only, spams projectiles, and has lag that makes a five minute match last almost twice as long (thanks for the slideshow!), But when I find a good player, I make sure I battle them as long as they are willing to stay and help me improve.

When life gives you salt, make bacon!

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
Warning Received
:4duckhunt:
:GCR::GCB: :GCD::GCB: :GCN::GCB:
U SPAM THOSE ******* BACK

Last edited by a moderator:

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Did you really buy smash bros, boot up online and NOT expect to be pitted against children that have discovered the best moves and want to use them over and over again to beat you? ... Huh

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
What is the best way to counter this?

How do you guys deal with players who spam projectiles?

Give me some suggestions. I play with a friend who uses this tactic. He gets real cocky and spams bombs and arrows/boomerang nonstop with Toon Link. I can occasionally roll/shield grab him to the point where I can spike him off the stage (When this happens, he'll rage and call me a cheep ******* and other expletives LOL) but even that is a difficult task. Projectiles will cancel your momentum, and you're forced to take massive damage trying to reach your opponent.

And by projectile spam, I mean LITERALLY standing still doing nothing but mashing the little red B button.

Im used to playing offensively, which stems from playing Melee since its release and project m, and projectile spam wasnt too big of an issue.

But this game, holy ****ing **** its quite the task to counter.
To a guy that spams projectiles? Against say, someone like Samus? I will pocket the hell out of their silly a$$es. :4villager: (:GCB:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom