• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People are worried about Project M dying, what do you think?

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
So Nintendo went the sneaky way of killing the scene via undermining its popularity instead of taking the heat head on via a C&D.
Disgusting. I guess they did learn something out of their failed attempt to kill Melee.

Last edited:

metaXzero

Smash Champion
This is like a more extreme version of when Brawl came out and some members of the community were encouraging Melee to be completely dropped. Good lord.

N0PE

Smash Cadet
NNID
m0t0_dr0id28
I'm out of the loop a little but I keep hearing people say things along the lines of "people don't like 3.5"

What's wrong with 3.5? Is this just a bunch of Lucas mains complaining or is there more to it than that?

Dr.Dru

Smash Rookie
So this leak came out of the whole Alex Strife ****storm on Reddit. Apparently he wants everyone involved with streaming Apex, CT and VGBC, to completely purge their channels of everything PM related, past and future. Chibo said he's not agreeing to this but I don't know about GIMR. Is this why VGBC hasn't touched PM in quite a long time now, and won't even host the channel that's now doing Xanadu?
I'm sure that VGBC is not a part of this. PM needed to be moved to another night because of the high attendance it was gaining, but GimR doesn't have the time to stream it after all of these weekend tournaments so he handed it over to umdsmash. I could be wrong, but I trust VGBC.

Fortress

Smash Master
people just need to step up as to's
That's not as easy as you make it out to be. My scene has been dying off slowly and is pretty much dead after a half-year of monthlies. Nothing I've done has been able to keep it going. Bought more setups, posted a LOT more and tried to get people involved, held a wider variety of games... tournaments are only going to be as successful as the community as a whole makes them, not just the TO.

PizzaPizza

Smash Rookie
I'd have to agree with the scene dying. I went to Paragon this weekend and was sad to see that project M wasn't being broadcast in any way. In fact the entire game was looked down upon there. Staff tried kicking out anyone playing project m friendlies in the hallways saying "Melee and Smash4 are the only friendlies allowed outside the main tournament lobby." Even the project m brackets were run poorly. My pool was supposed to start at 4 and it didn't start till 7 because they were so far behind.

I doubt it is because of 3.5, but I strongly think that making a few changes to the UI would strongly help tournament gameplay. It would at least help speed things along. You need a way to edit custom controls (rumble) on the main screen. That took way too long every time someone has to enter a name, (if the list is full delete a name) enter controls, find their name... At the very least have a way to turn on/off tap jump from the character select screen as that is the biggest custom control adjustment.

Also an easy way to pick stages would be good too. Y once for opening stages, twice for counterpicks, 3 times to reset would be ideal.

These are all little things that would make running a tournament a lot easier and probably more enjoyable.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I'm sure that VGBC is not a part of this. PM needed to be moved to another night because of the high attendance it was gaining, but GimR doesn't have the time to stream it after all of these weekend tournaments so he handed it over to umdsmash. I could be wrong, but I trust VGBC.
I would trust him if he came out and said that, but GimR staying silent is questionable.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Staff tried kicking out anyone playing project m friendlies in the hallways saying "Melee and Smash4 are the only friendlies allowed outside the main tournament lobby."
Wow, what the ****? Why would they go that far?

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Why are you lot wangsting here about something that is fear-mongering in the first place?
Go do something about it, don't complain. lel

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
I'm out of the loop a little but I keep hearing people say things along the lines of "people don't like 3.5"

What's wrong with 3.5? Is this just a bunch of Lucas mains complaining or is there more to it than that?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with 3.5. The only "problem" with 3.5 is that the PMDT fixed the power creep by reasonably toning down all the characters.
People went ape**** because everyone got nerfed, including their mains.

I don't know much about the metagame right now, with people actively trying to choke off the scene it's hard to get good footage, but Lucas deserved the Offense Up nerf.

Offense up got to the point where people got braindead with it because UP Smash hits harder than Fox Up Smash and basically goes through everything. I'm not even talking about the rest of his smashes.
OU's old charge time was so short that people were actually not even bothering to do much aside from getting enough space with things like back throws and instantly charging OU.

The aerial nerfs were a bit too much though, Lucas was doing fine, but I'm a bit based towards Lucas aerials and old Brawl Jab combo.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, hopefully with this Alex Strife business out in the open, PM will come into the spotlight a bit more. That, or it'll do so once Smash 4 stops being "the hype".

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
So Nintendo went the sneaky way of killing the scene via undermining its popularity instead of taking the heat head on via a C&D.
Disgusting. I guess they did learn something out of their failed attempt to kill Melee.
Nintendo can't support PM from a company standpoint, completely fair and reasonable since they can't support modding and hacking consoles.

Alex Strife though really wanted to shut down PM for good.

Personally I don't care for PM at all outside of supporting it as pot filler locally and some other tournaments but I wouldn't go as far as Alex Strife has.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Nintendo can't support PM from a company standpoint, completely fair and reasonable since they can't support modding and hacking consoles.
Not many people seem to get that. It's not that every, single person working at Nintendo's corporate offices hate the idea of a dedicated group of their playerbase supporting them the way they do. Somebody do the 'please, understand' here.

Personally I don't care for PM at all outside of supporting it as pot filler locally and some other tournaments but I wouldn't go as far as Alex Strife has.
And people need to not freak out when they hear things like "I don't care for X" game. It doesn't mean the same thing as "I wish X game would just die already". It's like me, I don't care much for SSB, but that doesn't mean I hate it. I just don't follow it or pay close attention to it.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
So undermining other events and streams was Alex's own doing and not Nintendo's? Why would he do that?

I mean, besides the fact that he's an asshole. There's gotta be more of a motive here.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman

Alex Strife though really wanted to shut down PM for good.

Nintendo can keep ignoring it as usual. However, there is evidence that either Strife tried to sell PM's head on a silver platter or that Nintendo actually was using Strife to choke the PM scene.

Either way, they acted in a way that is mostly unnecessary due to the simple fact that PM isn't directly competing with their games, instead it's running alongside them and helping to introduce Smash to a wider audience.
Not to mention that Nintendo don't want it's fanbase snarling at them because they took out a harmless mod that is incredibly popular.
(Other Fighting Game players tend to like PM and Melee, and then branch out into other Smash games from there)

Strife really wanted to shut down PM, but he wasn't alone in this.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Nintendo can keep ignoring it as usual. However, there is evidence that either Strife tried to sell PM's head on a silver platter or that Nintendo actually was using Strife to choke the PM scene.

Either way, they acted in a way that is mostly unnecessary due to the simple fact that PM isn't directly competing with their games, instead it's running alongside them and helping to introduce Smash to a wider audience.
Not to mention that Nintendo don't want it's fanbase snarling at them because they took out a harmless mod that is incredibly popular.
(Other Fighting Game players tend to like PM and Melee, and then branch out into other Smash games from there)

Strife really wanted to shut down PM, but he wasn't alone in this.
Nintendo has a very legitimate reason they are not supporting it, and they have not done a C&D yet which shows from this and the D1 interview with the tree house they have no interest in shutting it down and actually kind of like it. They can't support it because it supports modding and hacking their games and they cannot in any way support that.

Strife had an actual agenda and wanted to shut it down for personal reasons. Nintendo only wants to just not support it.

And yes it can affect sales one way or another. It's minor but it does, for better or worse I have no clue. Just that Smash 4 is the most sold WiiU game right now.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo has a very legitimate reason they are not supporting it, and they have not done a C&D yet which shows from this and the D1 interview with the tree house they have no interest in shutting it down and actually kind of like it. They can't support it because it supports modding and hacking their games and they cannot in any way support that.

Strife had an actual agenda and wanted to shut it down for personal reasons. Nintendo only wants to just not support it.

And yes it can affect sales one way or another. It's minor but it does, for better or worse I have no clue. Just that Smash 4 is the most sold WiiU game right now.
I said it could affect sales for the better. To be honest, I don't know why Nintendo didn't took the Valve way and hired the PMDT.

Obviously they can't go around and say "Yo, PM is super hype and is the perfect counterpart to Smash 4." but they can keep turning a blind eye to it.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I said it could affect sales for the better. To be honest, I don't know why Nintendo didn't took the Valve way and hired the PMDT.

Obviously they can't go around and say "Yo, PM is super hype and is the perfect counterpart to Smash 4." but they can keep turning a blind eye to it.
Because it still supports modding and hacking in the end. They can't hire them while it would support something like this.

And please don't compare PC gaming to console gaming.

I can find the texts going back and forth if I can but he definitely looked like he had it out to nuke PM from everything. The why though is the real question.

Last edited:

Zoa

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Strife did it for that Nintendo support. If you go back and read certain parts, Strife went off a lot on his other supporters, and even left False in charge of a tournament where he had no TO experience prior to it. He even flew False out there with himself. Pretty sure Strife only did it for the money he could pocket.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I can't find the exact post, but Tantalus said it's due to VGBC being too busy to stream on mondays
I'm talking more about why he can't press the button to host umdsmash on Mondays. I understand them making room for the new game and respect the decision, but umdsmash got about 325 viewers last night which could be at least doubled if he hosted it.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Because it still supports modding and hacking in the end. They can't hire them while it would support something like this.

And please don't compare PC gaming to console gaming.
I compared business practices. Not any kind of gaming platforms.

I'm pretty sure Strife did it for that Nintendo support. If you go back and read certain parts, Strife went off a lot on his other supporters, and even left False in charge of a tournament where he had no TO experience prior to it. He even flew False out there with himself. Pretty sure Strife only did it for the money he could pocket.
That's probably the best theory right now.

Ultim8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ultim8Luis
3DS FC
4785-6835-4967
I really don't know if i should get sm4sh or PM, the only reason I'm a smash fan is because of the competition. So, any opinions?

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
I really don't know if i should get sm4sh or PM, the only reason I'm a smash fan is because of the competition. So, any opinions?
PM is a free mod so you should get it either way. Smash 4 is very popular right now, but that doesn't mean PM tournaments will stop right away.

Edit: You'll need a copy of Brawl if you don't have one yet.

Last edited:

Ultim8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ultim8Luis
3DS FC
4785-6835-4967
PM is a free mod so you should get it either way. Smash 4 is very popular right now, but that doesn't mean PM tournaments will stop right away.

Edit: You'll need a copy of Brawl if you don't have one yet.
I know that, i just dont know if i should spend money on a wii or a wii u. See, I have the 3ds version, and i like it but the wii u is much better since people use the gamecube controller, yet i'm curious about PM's melee style of gameplay and the pros prefere that. I just don't know what to choose.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
I know that, i just dont know if i should spend money on a wii or a wii u. See, I have the 3ds version, and i like it but the wii u is much better since people use the gamecube controller, yet i'm curious about PM's melee style of gameplay and the pros prefere that. I just don't know what to choose.
Pick the Wii U. The 3DS version lack precise controls compared to the Wii U and the Wii U can run Brawl and by extension PM. After that, you can play both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom