• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Thanks I messed up a few times but nobody plays perfect so mesh

The double peach wasn't bad from my angle. I got to do a lot of dumb things my partner really struggled though because wario.

Our team had too much support because neither of the characters we had could safely handle two peachs so we kinda had to move as a single character

Smash 4 though were doing this little Mac/mega man team =)

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Today I disgraced G&W/IC mains everywhere by losing to a Luigi in a Calgary tournament, was looking forward to playing Limee too and I was one set away from doing so.

Wish I could have played Alphicans more, guess it'll have to wait till next tournament. =\

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
I also attended a tournament yesterday. It wasn't a big one; we were only about 10 guys because some people dropped out, and it was mostly a social get-together, but it was still hype as fuuuuck. I ended up winning, not dropping a single game, which I didn't expect at all. I played on point. Did a comeback three games in a row during GFs vs Falco. Did some really stupid stuff that worked for some reason. Feel like I've really gotten the hang of the Falco matchup

Also, gimping Diddy Kong is too easy.

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Today I disgraced G&W/IC mains everywhere by losing to a Luigi in a Calgary tournament, was looking forward to playing Limee too and I was one set away from doing so.

Wish I could have played Alphicans more, guess it'll have to wait till next tournament. =\
Syl you did solid in doubles though man, and we have a good luigi here I can't beat either so don't stress. Lookin forward to seein you and Cory team more in the future.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Syl you did solid in doubles though man, and we have a good luigi here I can't beat either so don't stress. Lookin forward to seein you and Cory team more in the future.
Haha thanks, our games vs KillLock/Taste were all winnable but both of us had barely played doubles with each other at all, and it showed like me killing him through the roof with uair. And KillLock is a beast.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
When I say "him" I mean Shaft, when I click "edit" the box is white and I can't click on it for some reason, dunno how to fix that.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I didn't watch the set, but bluezone is relentlessly aggressive so it was probably weird to get used to. If I see the set I'll see if I can help you out.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
I didn't watch the set, but bluezone is relentlessly aggressive so it was probably weird to get used to. If I see the set I'll see if I can help you out.
I choked ultra hard, I was beating him nearly every game the day before since I was rooming with him. Second game I went ICs on FD and dropped every grab within 3 throws, then at 1 stock each last hit I got misfired and lost.

All my common sense went out the window when I sat down on stream lol. I guess 7th isn't that bad for first legitimate tournament, but it was still disappointing.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I also went to a tourney this weekend. 50 man bracket for singles, no pools due to starting at like 7PM since the TO's weren't experienced Smash TO's. Went all MK (except Wolf against a random) and got 17th which I'm pretty happy with. I also took a game off of Blue Rogue who used to be the best Wario in the Midwest from what people are telling me. I didn't ban Frigate which was a horrible and stupid mistake which pretty much sealed my fate before the match even started. Kinda wish I had thought of it, I feel like I could've beaten him or at least not gotten JV 3 stocked last game :I

I also entered doubles, which was a much less glorified experience. I pretty much just spammed smashes all the time since my G&W is beyond rusty. When I went MK I actually did alright, but my partner also wanted to play MK even though afterwards he think he did best with Rob. I think I'm going to completely retire my G&W from tourney play after this.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
That isn't much how I played g&w in my games.

Would appreciate it if I could get advice from my doubles matches, there's only one singles match of me recorded and I played terribly in it.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Speaking of G&W in doubles, I plan on doing well in doubles at Apex, but I'm lacking a teammate atm.
Who here is attending dubz at Apex and would want to wreck faces with me?
If I can't get a good european teammate, I'd prefer to try out double G&W or something(it's sooo goooood)

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
That isn't much how I played g&w in my games.

Would appreciate it if I could get advice from my doubles matches, there's only one singles match of me recorded and I played terribly in it.
I mentioned to Cory that you should be more conscious of which smash you use to punish landings when your on platforms. I saw a few different times where you missed a free KO because you chose to Fsmash in the wrong direction rather than cover both options on the platform with dsmash. Also you use Nair effectively, but using upB as a mixup punish if someone is above you is good, and the knockback off of it can be really good for starting team combos, I would talk with Cory and tell him if the opponent is above you and between you two, you'll look to set stuff up with upB. Also maybe practice chasing offstage more? Kaak and a lot of the european GWs are good to watch for stuff like this. Shaft is pretty big into offstage shuttle loops and such (used to play at my place pretty regularly), and there were a lot of cases where you guys can just team up on people offstage, and then bait the team mate into doing something stupid to chase you guys. A big issue in you guys vs KillLock was not taking full advantage of Snake's offstage issues. Also, I would highly recommend watching Luke and his team mate, as they ran the same team as you guys and Luke has a pretty solid dubs G&W. Hope some of that helps man!

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Man I would love to do Double GW @ Apex with you Gardex. As much as I hate that team though, I wouldn't mind reppin' the character with you.
GW's better role in teams in to support his teammate by harassing the opposing team, interrupting ****, and getting KO's

You'll want to do this by playing like wario and poking with bairs to constantly wrestle momentum from the opposing team. Your teammate should essentially be opening up for you which allows you to maximize damage output (being that our character strength is in offense) while taking as little damage as possible.
Let your teammate carry the team (you're too light and too valuable to take those kinds of risks in teams more than a few times). For example if you're teaming with MK focus in the same opponent but let him get the first hit in so you can follow up since your range and lingering hitboxes allow you to safely and easily stack damage on top and also give him time to set up for a follow up off of yours. This is what you'll be doing 70% of the match: converting single hits into big damage. If you fall into a situation where both of you are fighting your own 1v1 your goal is to distract your enemy (Hitting them offstage, Uairing them, even flipping 2 sausages) and get back to your teammate to support him. Your priority isn't getting kills believe it or not. They will come because you are GW and dair kills most of the important characters reliably at like 150% which won't be a problem for you guys to rack up as long as you are playign how I described. You need to support your teammate as much as possible because their grabs equal really low kills for you because you finally have a reliable way of landing moves you normally struggle landing in singles, and this is why supporting is so much stronger than throwing out smashes in doubles as most people believe GW should do.

You and your teammate (if they are static) need to understand what to do in what situation. This is just good for doubles in general but as far as for GW, and example of this is that my partner and have made it clear that if we are in a 2v2 situation and I get a grab I will always dthrow and he will always cover a certain side. Always. I will always Fsmash out of his Wario Dthrow. Always. (That's the plan even though i'm hardheaded but thats still the plan.)

If we don't change it up it saves us the mental strength of trying to make split second decisions by reading our partners mind. We know that NO MATTER WHAT we always do the same ****. We do switch it up sometimes and generally always regret it. Even when not following the rule works we just go: "Why did you switch it up?", because now your partner has to read you next time or he'll think you might try something different next time and it just ruins your overall effectiveness rate. Just stick with the plan unless it OBVIOUSLY needs to change but most of the time you won't need to unless you're fighting some character that throws your strategy on it's head (Like if you're fighting a snake and grenades nullify your strat)

Up-B and Dair are the **** in teams. Dair is wayyyy safer... for some reason. I dunno why. Maybe because people shield more in teams so their shield is lower or because they can't focus or prepare for it as much but you will get away with dair a lot more in teams so abuse it. That move does a lotta damage and it really easy to land. Up-B is good too. When in doubt Up-B. It's really really safe and the invincibility saves you a lot of % and since dair is so much more effective in teams you won't have much trouble recovering from it safely.

I figure that should be a good base on how to BEST use GW in teams. It's not the only way. I don't even play like this exactly. I still get pretty smash happy and do my own stupid **** like use side-b and lots of bucket stalls but everyone has their own playstyle. This is a good foundation though.

edit: this is assuming you're team member can handle a carry role though.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I wish i could test this offline but lately I've been playing around with footstooling in wifi dubz and it's been pretty effective. I know footstool>dair isnt't anything new but most of the times it's done by accident lol. Players that aren't metaknight will generally sit in their shield for a good second or two with a GW above them, expecting a dair/bair. If they hold their shield out too long footstool>dair could shield poke or at least thin out their shield a good amount. If they try to whiff out a move, footstool will go through anyway and you get a dair in. You don't have to dair after footstool but it's pretty safe if you dair behind them.

Just note its risky against a few characters like snake cuz lolutilt.
It's a good mixup at best.

Going to try and upload examples if i can, I m convinced this can be useful.

Thoughts appreciated.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Heyyyy Patches, long time no see.

also don't think I mentioned this earlier, I wifi'd pentasalia once and he 9 hammered me at about 7% on my first stock. wtf mate.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Foot stool -> dair should be used a lot more in general. It's a great option, and I like the shield pressure option you've come up with. I'll try it out sometime.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Just got my G&W shirt from clash threads :D I thought the design was ****ed up on the left side. Turns out that's just what the design looks like lol.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Got 7th at a monthly yesterday, out of what I'm guessing was 20~ entrants.

In pools I went G&W game 2 on Ps2 against the guy who got 1st, and got my first successful 9 hammer in tourney, which killed at like 13% lol. He was like "Now you get to brag about that forever"

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Man I haven't gotten a 9 kill in ages.

Not since the accident.
Gardex I tried double G&W with a local DK player who knows a bit about G&W, and it was awesome. Almost every match we won during friendlies had a momentum swing mid match when one of us landed a 9. At first when you said how fun double G&W was I was skeptical but now I really wanna do some friendly doubles sets going double G&W with you at Apex. I'd love to team with you for the actual tournament but I've gotta stick with my local team mate so we can represent and such.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I think I'm going to drop G&W and play ICs/Marf instead because my MK blows. RIP G&W
Race traitor.

Just got my G&W shirt from clash threads :D I thought the design was ****ed up on the left side. Turns out that's just what the design looks like lol.

That's weird. You'd think they move the design more right to make the left cut piece come out.

I'm sorry I didn't get vacation for Apex T_T
We would have made history...
One less Gdubs for Apex...

Top Bottom