• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Just finished a local tournament, I lost winner's finals 1-3 to Shaft (mk main that Alphicans has probably seen play in Alberta Beat-Down), all Wario vs MK except one game where I went ICs on FD and thrashed him, all three games were pretty close but I missed farts from choking, and I hadn't missed them beforehand in practice games. It was pretty bleh, if the set gets uploaded and anyone cares to watch it they'll see that I miss obvious opportunities to hit them.

So in grand finals I played all G&W and 3-0, 3-0'd him.

:)

On a side note, @Smiley I'm from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, it's next to Alberta. "Sylarius - Where the heck are you from?"

I guess I'm dropping Wario and sticking with G&W.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
So whobo was really disappointing to watch as a gw main. Knew we sucked but can't believed we had almost no rep even in mid tiers. Even by the best gdubs.

I just... have never felt sadder and more hopeless as a singles gw.I know valdens took rich to game 3 I just wish I'd have seen it.

Ugh

I love/hate this character so much.

Its garbage that people treat me like a high tier character main even though my character is bad

When I lose people tell me I suck when win its expected when I play nothing but disadvantaged mus

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Looks like we have at least one convoy going to Apex this year, so I'm in! Would really like to meet my fellow GWs.

Also sorry your down about GWs Smiley. I personally feel no shame in switching off on any MU I'm not comfortable with. As far as other players hatin cause they think you're high tier, I've always heard if they hate they way you play then you're doing it right. We know the difficultys of being in perma 2d. Do it for the swag Smiley, do it for the swag.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I don't remember the last time someone said GW was high tier lol
In doubles yea but definetly not in singles.

Most of the time I get the low tier treatment whenever I lose to a higher tier character.
"Oh it's okay you lost, GW should be losing to those characters anyway"

It's annoying yea but it's a great feeling when someone says that and I win anyway :smash:

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Was there a specific reason why Vinnie didn't go GW? I though I heard commentators/people on the chat say that Vinnie thought it was unfair, but I find that hard to believe. To be honest, we say that Vinnie is the best GW in the country (world?) yet it's probably the character he uses the least nowadays.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
He went G&W in normal singles though. A couple of times.

When I win with G&W, people just get mad because I play so bat**** ******** that they probably feel stupid losing to a guy fsmashing 4 times in a row(where the 4th one always hits)
When I lose, it's no big surprise because I can basically lose to everyone because my, once again, bat**** ******** playstyle.

I've started to play a lot more controlled lately, so my consistency has shot up(Although I'm still what you'd call super-aggro)

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
@ Sar
Vinnie going gw sometimes does not make him the best lol
There is no best GW anymore, the character is dead in high level rep.

We have plenty of mid level players like ourselves but we're inconsistent
Valdens placing in teams and making it out of pools is probably the latest accomplishment for the character.

Vinnie

Smash Master
I could go off but I don't feel like it. Keep talking **** about the highest peak skill G&W has seen.

Was there a specific reason why Vinnie didn't go GW? I though I heard commentators/people on the chat say that Vinnie thought it was unfair, but I find that hard to believe.
This is true, G&W is not wolf tier.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I could go off but I don't feel like it. Keep talking **** about the highest peak skill G&W has seen.

This is true, G&W is not wolf tier.
Nobody ever sees anything

If gw is so good why is it that characters we are better than like peach and **** beating dehf and otori while players who are stronger are unable to replicate the same things in better matchups?

You say gw is better but there's no proof there's ACTUALLY proof of the opposite

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Vinnie, you are a phenomenal player, but you play Ice Climbers. Play a tournament with GnW used more than anyone else and I will call you a GnW main. Until then, you are just a fantastic player with a solid secondary in GnW.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
My friend is trying to talk me into carpooling with him and others for Apex. I wanna go, it'd be cool to meet with other Gdubs (even if I barely play the character anymore lol), but of course cost and time is deterring me. I'd probably have to miss a few classes to make the trip and bring out a pretty penny or two.

But I'm thinking about it

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Apex is amazing. I doubt it'll be amazing as last year but it's really fun and a fantastic experience.

I had planned to quit before i went to Apex 2013 but here I am still playing preparing myself for smash 4's new metagame.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Vinnie, you are a phenomenal player, but you play Ice Climbers. Play a tournament with GnW used more than anyone else and I will call you a GnW main. Until then, you are just a fantastic player with a solid secondary in GnW.
I don't care about what you think I main, because you are a new gen who clearly wasn't around for my reign with G&W. Should I use a significantly worse character in the hardest region in the world, just to please a couple of new gens that happen to play the same character as me? Nah. I don't have to re-prove that I'm the best G&W. The only thing that could give me motivation to do that, would be seeing another G&W other than myself beat M2K in tournament. Until then, I'm more of a G&W main than you ever will be.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I don't care about what you think I main, because you are a new gen who clearly wasn't around for my reign with G&W. Should I use a significantly worse character in the hardest region in the world, just to please a couple of new gens that happen to play the same character as me? Nah. I don't have to re-prove that I'm the best G&W. The only thing that could give me motivation to do that, would be seeing another G&W other than myself beat M2K in tournament. Until then, I'm more of a G&W main than you ever will be.
No. I watched everything you did as much as I could. I idolized you, I saw your good spirit and sportsmanship, and I've seen it degrade.

And you need to learn what it means to be a main. You are not a GnW main, you are just a really good player who happens to use GnW when you aren't afraid of losing. That's not being a GnW main, that's being an IC's main who thinks that by playing GnW twice in a tournament and getting that icon next to your name in the results means that you are a main. You secondary GnW, and main IC's. Being low tier is not an excuse for not maining them, what changed is you went from wanting to enjoy yourself at tournaments to trying to win and be recognized.

Please get off your high horse, being a top level player doesn't mean you are obligated to speak like a bigoted asshole. You should try and focus on setting an example for the players who are less skilled than you and inspiring them to try and improve themselves and catch up to you. When you talk like the way you have been recently, the only thought that comes from others is that maybe the highest level of play isn't a place that they want to be.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
There's nothing wrong with wanting to win, by playing G&W over ICs Vinnie is deliberately handicapping himself, and so is everybody here who plays G&W over the characters who are better than him. When I enter tournaments I want to win. So I play the characters that I think will give me the best chance at winning. To me, the best way to "inspire other people to improve themselves" is winning. Very few people enter a tournament with the intention of not giving it their best shot.

I don't see a purpose in arguing about who the truer G&W main is over each other.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
ITT: Vinnie is being sensitive as **** for no reason

>only people that care about your gw
>be a pompous ass to them
>nobody else likes your ICs

Alphicans said he wasn't impressed excuse him for not orgasming at your fantastic secondary

Sar

Smash Journeyman
How about a compromise? I understand that it's foolish to play GW at high level play with the current metagame. I just get sad when you play someone you can definitely beat and you play ROB, or peach, or some character not GW. If you want to take it light on people, why no GW? =[

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
So drama aside, I deploy tomorrow but we had a pretty decent tourney yesterday so my friends convinced me to go even though I leave for afghanistan in like an hour and a half.

I only did doubles though because i still had packing to do and i had to get back to tucson

But yeah Wafty and I were soooo good today. I screwed up and had a really terrible match (my c stick even broke midway through it was bad) and I suicided 3 times because the stars hate me or whatever so we got 4th but we really could have got first. My teammate and I were on fire and people even told me they think Wafty and I are the best team in AZ. We were just sooo in sync and it was really refreshing to finally be good at doubles... and just... SOMETHING. Since all I do with Gdubs is lose to dumb characters.

2 of our sets were recorded if Wafty uploads them before I get out of the states i'll post them because even though we didn't place as well as we could have I'm still pretty proud of my improvement in doubles. I went from one of the worst most chokey doubles players to one of the best (still chokey though) doubles players in my scene.

K9 and I have a pretty good MK/Peach team as well but thats for another day since I have a static partner.

At least I'm leaving the US on a positive note (smash wise at least), sometimes it's just about results ya know? It's just about feeling good.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Yooo 05:59, dat teamcombo

I've never played double peach before, but holy hell does that look stressful.
You played beautifully man

Top Bottom