• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man Custom Moveset Discussion

PacMain92201

Smash Cadet
Koolaid is making the lazy fruit and enticing pellet look really good.
I was watching Nairo's stream and when I saw "Procyon has joined the room", I immediately freaked out. Man I must've missed out on kool aid using lazy fruit and EPP. All I saw was him using peach, doc, and requests from people in the chat.

BSP

Smash Legend
Less than 10 minutes with the On Fire Hydrant and I'm already loving it. We have to be a bit more careful, but we can hit confirm off of it AND into it. I have to practice with this thing.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
2132 is just silly.
You can set a trampoline, drop a hydrant behind it, then jump and throw a strawberry and laugh as your opponent tries to get past safely.
The strawberry bounces according to the height at which it was thrown. This is amazing stage control. Just remember to always go in as the strawberry is bouncing because you won't gain a lead by just watching the strawberry bounce, this is your opportunity to approach safely. Then you can catch the strawberry and use it for combos...

...OMG, the combos. They are freaking sick.

Strawberry->fair x2-> nair -> dtilt/ftilt
For when the opponent is at low percentages. A whopping 30-32%.

Strawberry ->Usmash/Dsmash/Fsmash (guaranteed at higher percentages 0_o Do I hear, safe kill confirm?!?!)
17-21% but who cares if the opponent is dead lol

Strawberry->fair x2-> hydrant drop-> fall off nair
20% and sets up your hydrant

Cherry is similar since it also has the same "pulling in" effect as the strawberry, but it doesn't pull the opponent in as much. It's much better for space control right in front of you since it bounces so erratically.

However, both can pull the opponent into the meteor trampoline which can have hilarious results. When there is a red trampoline on the stage, no one is safe. I suggest putting a hydrant right next to it to force your opponent to jump over it if they have no projectiles.

Orange is a better falco laser that travels rediculously far, while the galaxian is similar but eats more projectiles like mega man pellets and fire balls allowing for a safe approach against projectiles spammers.

The melon allows for instant hydrant launches via z drop which is insane pressure on the opponent. Constant 15% hydrants being flung at the opponent.

Now the meteor trampoline is very interesting in how safe and quick it is as a spike. The meteor trampoline is an on demand spike that claims the entire area in front of the ledge.

Fire fox? Nope!
Fox illusion? Nah, you good.
Quick attack? Sike!
Zelda/Palutena teleport? Not today!

The list goes on. This one move pretty much eliminates the opponent's ability to snap onto the ledge. This forces them to recover very high which opens then up to fruit and hydrant spam edeguarding. This even opens up new possibilities for complex traps on the ledge.
If your opponent has moves that are dangerous enough that you don't want to try and gimp them with your aerials (dark fists ganon...) then you set up a ledge trap.
Place a red trampoline near the ledge so that it can catch roll get ups(very easy due to the low jump heights of the meteor trampoline)
Then, quickly place a hydrant in front of it and stay on top of it. Make sure you have a freaky apple in your hand.

The positioning should be like this:

red trampoline==hydrant/you==ledge

This covers all options
Roll: opponent is buried by the red trampoline

Jump: opponent is hit by fsmash, dsmash, Bair, or fair.

Nuetral get up or ledge attack: Fire blast or Apple to the face.

If the opponent tries to wait out the trampoline, they still get get caught by a B reverse Apple if they try to roll. If they wait until the hydrant is gone, you can stage spike them with a bair or just dsmash once their invincibility runs out.
Oh, make sure to jump up evey now and then to prevent the hydrant from burning you.

We can even improve our old ledge trap with the meteor trampoline.
We normally use bair hydrant->trampoline to bounce the hydrant up near the ledge to cover every get up option. However, with the meteor trampoline, you can keep bouncing until the trampoline is red. The opponent can't get up while you are bouncing on the trampoline either because they will get forces up the trampoline into the hydrant. Once the trampoline is red, your opponent is forced to wait until the hydrant is gone so that they can jump over the trampoline. This is when you have your melon ready.
Once they jump, the melon will be there to meet their face.

The possibilities are endless guys.
Customs only fixed our flaws (freaky stawberry, cherry, and melon fix killing issues, and the grab flaw is irrelevant since the low tier freaky fruit can hit confirm into grabs) and enhanced our strengths (stronger traps, even better combos with stronger rush down capabilities, and more stuff to screw over opposing rush down)

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
2132 is just silly.
You can set a trampoline, drop a hydrant behind it, then jump and throw a strawberry and laugh as your opponent tries to get past safely.
The strawberry bounces according to the height at which it was thrown. This is amazing stage control. Just remember to always go in as the strawberry is bouncing because you won't gain a lead by just watching the strawberry bounce, this is your opportunity to approach safely. Then you can catch the strawberry and use it for combos...

Throw it up and watch people die.

Strawberry ->Usmash/Dsmash/Fsmash (guaranteed at higher percentages 0_o Do I hear, safe kill confirm?!?!)

EDIT: Strawberry -> Dash Attack -> Ooh boy they're off stage -> Meteor Trampoline.

Nair is way too good. Pull them in and launch them.

Cherry is similar since it also has the same "pulling in" effect as the strawberry, but it doesn't pull the opponent in as much. It's much better for space control right in front of you since it bounces so erratically.

Or as a replacement for Strawberry for much more subtle knockbacks or at high percentages.

However, both can pull the opponent into the meteor trampoline which can have hilarious results. When there is a red trampoline on the stage, no one is safe. I suggest putting a hydrant right next to it to force your opponent to jump over it if they have no projectiles.

Orange is a better falco laser that travels rediculously far, while the galaxian is similar but eats more projectiles like mega man pellets and fire balls allowing for a safe approach against projectiles spammers.

The Orange can also be used to push the opponent into a trap behind them.

The melon allows for instant hydrant launches via z drop which is insane pressure on the opponent. Constant 15% hydrants being flung at the opponent.

Its trajectory is SICK. Throw one out and watch it come back when you need it.
(Try to Fair people into it. And laugh)

Now the meteor trampoline is very interesting in how safe and quick it is as a spike. The meteor trampoline is an on demand spike that claims the entire area in front of the ledge.

Key can do this as well, but on the ledge.

Fire fox? Nope!
Quick attack? Sike!

When I play default, I cringe every time when I have to use Hydrant and watch them come back. :(

The list goes on. This one move pretty much eliminates the opponent's ability to snap onto the ledge. This forces them to recover very high which opens then up to fruit and hydrant spam edeguarding. This even opens up new possibilities for complex traps on the ledge.

And this is where Freaky Melon comes in. Then jump and get them.
PPJ should work too.

If your opponent has moves that are dangerous enough that you don't want to try and gimp them with your aerials (dark fists ganon...) then you set up a ledge trap.
Place a red trampoline near the ledge so that it can catch roll get ups(very easy due to the low jump heights of the meteor trampoline)
Then, quickly place a hydrant in front of it and stay on top of it. Make sure you have a freaky apple in your hand.

This covers all options

If the opponent tries to wait out the trampoline, they still get get caught by a B reverse Apple if they try to roll. If they wait until the hydrant is gone, you can stage spike them with a bair or just dsmash once their invincibility runs out.
Oh, make sure to jump up evey now and then to prevent the hydrant from burning you.

We normally use bair hydrant->trampoline to bounce the hydrant up near the ledge to cover every get up option. However, with the meteor trampoline, you can keep bouncing until the trampoline is red. The opponent can't get up while you are bouncing on the trampoline either because they will get forces up the trampoline into the hydrant. Once the trampoline is red, your opponent is forced to wait until the hydrant is gone so that they can jump over the trampoline. This is when you have your melon ready.

Customs only fixed our flaws (freaky stawberry, cherry, and melon fix killing issues, and the grab flaw is irrelevant since the low tier freaky fruit can hit confirm into grabs) and enhanced our strengths (stronger traps, even better combos with stronger rush down capabilities, and more stuff to screw over opposing rush down)
It also helps our unpredictability.
Thought you learned every default fruit?
Good boy. Now learn the other 16.

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
2132 is just silly.

Fire fox? Nope!
Quick attack? Sike!

This covers all options

um..or they can wait until you move and then get up...its a nice setup but no setup is 100% guaranteed

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Freaky Apple. It has a very steep downward angle.
ok i don't get it..
the tramp covers roll
d-smash, f-smash, fair and bair cover jump
on-fire hydrant covers invincibility get-up or get-up attack

ok so far seems legit
you mentioned jumping up to dodge the fire..
they can just up-b after they drop down from the ledge, most 3rd jumps will apply here

ok so already not legit
about dropping down from the ledge..
yes a freaky apple will get them, what about dropping back?
they avoid the freaky apple and can use a higher priority attack when you try to bair.
-up b
-any aerial with more priority
-hmm..AIRDODGE!
-50% if not most specials
-a counter move

ok ok so we know that this has its flaws, but wa- w- w- wat! theres more??
wall cling. wall jump. good recovery.
simply put: Lucario :4lucario:

ok get rekt

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
ok i don't get it..
the tramp covers roll
d-smash, f-smash, fair and bair cover jump
on-fire hydrant covers invincibility get-up or get-up attack

ok so far seems legit
you mentioned jumping up to dodge the fire..
they can just up-b after they drop down from the ledge, most 3rd jumps will apply here

ok so already not legit
about dropping down from the ledge..
yes a freaky apple will get them, what about dropping back?
they avoid the freaky apple and can use a higher priority attack when you try to bair.
-up b
-any aerial with more priority
-hmm..AIRDODGE!
-50% if not most specials
-a counter move

ok ok so we know that this has its flaws, but wa- w- w- wat! theres more??
wall cling. wall jump. good recovery.
simply put: Lucario :4lucario:

ok get rekt
Yeah...
Jumping off of the ledge to get back on makes them dsmash bait due to the lost invincibility. I could have sworn I have already mentioned this in that long post on the 2123 set.

Also, Lucario gets shrekt by meteor trampoline when he tries to latch onto the ledge again after dropping back.

Walk off ledge->up B->dead lucario

Nobody is safe
Get on my level!!

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Yeah...
Jumping off of the ledge to get back on makes them dsmash bait due to the lost invincibility. I could have sworn I have already mentioned this in that long post on the 2123 set.

Also, Lucario gets shrekt by meteor trampoline when he tries to latch onto the ledge again after dropping back.

Walk off ledge->up B->dead lucario

Nobody is safe
Get on my level!!
um i never mentioned simply jumping off (i gave time to read yours are u salty now) i mentioned dropping back and using a third-jump...though i didn't mention this: they can wait when the fire is about to come out then do the above-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.------> ^^^^^^^^

BSP

Smash Legend
Another tidbit about On Fire hydrant: you can use the fire to hit yourself out of the Fruit Charge or Throw animation, and then get back to the dropped fruit and have it in hand. Obviously, this hurts you and you have to be at a low enough % to make it back to the dropped fruit in time.

This should make some normally uncatchable fruit (freaky bell? Freaky Key?) catchable. Can someone test this out? I know it works with regular BF, but idk about Freaky.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Another tidbit about On Fire hydrant: you can use the fire to hit yourself out of the Fruit Charge or Throw animation, and then get back to the dropped fruit and have it in hand. Obviously, this hurts you and you have to be at a low enough % to make it back to the dropped fruit in time.

This should make some normally uncatchable fruit (freaky bell? Freaky Key?) catchable. Can someone test this out? I know it works with regular BF, but idk about Freaky.
O.O
I'm gonna test this today.

Spirst

Tested it just now, it works just fine with Freaky. Freaky/Lazy takes longer to charge than default so the window to have the fire drop the fruit is slightly bigger.

I also found out that Z-dropping a Freaky Key retains the meteor property. This means if someone is recovering and you have the freaky key in hand, you just have to Z-drop it over them and watch them plummet. That's actually really cool, wow.

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3

it prob does.. i thought of this but since i dislike customs never posted...

Tested it just now, it works just fine with Freaky. Freaky/Lazy takes longer to charge than default so the window to have the fire drop the fruit is slightly bigger.

I also found out that Z-dropping a Freaky Key retains the meteor property. This means if someone is recovering and you have the freaky key in hand, you just have to Z-drop it over them and watch them plummet. That's actually really cool, wow.
"Ya hear that sonny! I'd swear that 'that's the sound of combos!'"
onstage game..
z-drop key on ledge.. run-up grab-bthrow
Jimmy says;: "Pappy, wat if ya get meteo'd into a meteo??"

PacMain92201

Smash Cadet

Pac man best meteors in the game confirmed?

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
I was testing some sets today and here's what I found
With Freaky Fruit and On-Fire Hydrant, all of the fruit EXCEPT the galaga ship and key will not pass through the fire hydrant.
In other words, you can still use the galaga ship and key to hit enemies if you have a fire hydrant up
This is especially useful for a Freaky Fruit set because the galaga ship can travel across any omega stage.
On-Fire Hydrant + Freaky Fruit Galaga ship = easy zoning
I also found that if you angle the strawberry just right, it can bounce over the flames on each side of the on-fire hydrant, adding even more coverage
Hope I contributed something useful

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I was testing some sets today and here's what I found
With Freaky Fruit and On-Fire Hydrant, all of the fruit EXCEPT the galaga ship and key will not pass through the fire hydrant.
In other words, you can still use the galaga ship and key to hit enemies if you have a fire hydrant up
This is especially useful for a Freaky Fruit set because the galaga ship can travel across any omega stage.
On-Fire Hydrant + Freaky Fruit Galaga ship = easy zoning
I also found that if you angle the strawberry just right, it can bounce over the flames on each side of the on-fire hydrant, adding even more coverage
Hope I contributed something useful
Yes it is! Very useful!

PacMain92201

Smash Cadet
Koolaid is making the lazy fruit and enticing pellet look really good.
Does that mean we should include enticing power pellet in sets? And go figure kool aid likes lazy fruit since he always z drops nearly every fruit. So picking them up with ease must have caught his attention. I really wish I could see kool aid play more. He doesn't stream often and the last time I watched him play pac man was on nakat's stream during a zero to hero. Kool aid was bringing out so many tricks including the trampoline under the spawn plate. And should we start talking about which sets are ideal for doubles?

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Does that mean we should include enticing power pellet in sets? And go figure kool aid likes lazy fruit since he always z drops nearly every fruit. So picking them up with ease must have caught his attention. I really wish I could see kool aid play more. He doesn't stream often and the last time I watched him play pac man was on nakat's stream during a zero to hero. Kool aid was bringing out so many tricks including the trampoline under the spawn plate. And should we start talking about which sets are ideal for doubles?
I still think Enticing is too slow for regular use. I played Koolaid, he is good, and rekted my face. However, he is still testing the waters on customs. I showed him some nifty things when I did play him. I also found that I am a bit too aggressive, and have starting scaling back. I think that the added strength of enticing is negligible at best. Its hard to tech chase with it, it is more obvious and easily avoided. I could see it being used for edge guarding because of the windbox, but the on stage use is horribly gimped.

Using PPJ a bit more, It is not as potent a kill move as originally believed, but is still very effective at adding damage, and avoiding gimps. The negatives I see is that you have much less flexibility with horizontal movement on the way up, you also do not have a get out of jail card when pressure is applied.

Freaky fruit is fun as hell, but I wish its charge time was a bit faster, Galaxian is really fast and goes far. Key would be great for Zdropping. I do feel it works best with on fire so we can hit ourselves to get key for a portable meteor. I would not recommend a freaky set without on fire hydrant, Meteor Trampoline or PPJ to make use of the trap properties it provides.

Lazy fruit is really good with default hydrant, The fruit is easy to catch, but keep in mind it is easy to be stolen too.

Dire hydrant is just not effective, It is too obvious, cannot be launched, and it does not help the rosalina Matchup as much as would be believed.

After further testing, I have changed my opinions and feel this is the best 10 set choice we have.

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
@ Firedemon0 Firedemon0
I thought we could only have 8 sets? Because there are slots reserved for 2222 and 3333

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
I think doubles is an entirely different meta game of its own.
I would run a lazy fruit set with regular fire hydrant
So 3131?
It really depends on what you and your partner's play style is.
If you want a Pac man duo I'd have one person run 3131 and 1132
Great coverage and nearly the entire stage could be controlled by fire hydrants

Last edited:

PacMain92201

Smash Cadet
I think doubles is an entirely different meta game of its own.
I would run a lazy fruit set with regular fire hydrant
So 3131?
It really depends on what you and your partner's play style is.
If you want a Pac man duo I'd have one person run 3131 and 1132
Great coverage and nearly the entire stage could be controlled by fire hydrants
Oh God. Double pac man with customs is the dream team

Spirst

So I followed up on this some more and it turns out the easiest way to do this is to charge to the galaxian>special cancel with hydrant>continue charging. By the time the flames come out, you should already have reached the key and the flames will hit you out of it, dropping it on the ground where it can easily be picked up again. It's a lot easier than, say, charging to bell then trying to time it.

It also turns out that the meteor key can combo into things like nair/bair past around 50% (including 999%) because of how the key knocks them downwards rather than horizontally. The key doesn't stale since it's an item and the nair/bair does 10%/11% respectively so it's an easy way to tack on about 20% in less than a second.

This can in fact be teched but I don't think it can be punished well considering how close Pacman already is to the ground when he does a SH zdrop. I played around with it on training mode with Little Mac who has a f1 jab and even when he teched it, Pacman could just trampoline away before the jab came out which means there's a frame advantage. I also found that because of this, Pacman can combo it into a trampoline such as Power Pac jump. Of course, there's still the basic Z-drop it over a recovery to spike them. Going to play around with it more to see what other utilities can be found.

Last edited:
Top Bottom