• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

P:M Plug+Play .RELs (Module Files) Want to Port Ridley? Come here!/Modding FAQ

Next P+P .REL?

• Peach

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Ike

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Wario

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • Ganon

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Lucario

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Hi there,

I just wanted to know the difference between this and Project M D.I.Y.? (or pretty much BrawlEX)

The idea i'm thinking is that you made it so that any character can be cloned unlike BrawlEX while granting them their own SFX without replacing others.

You should probably put your response to this in the 1st post since a lot of people probably have this question. I apologize in advance if I missed it.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Hi there,

I just wanted to know the difference between this and Project M D.I.Y.? (or pretty much BrawlEX)

The idea i'm thinking is that you made it so that any character can be cloned unlike BrawlEX while granting them their own SFX without replacing others.

You should probably put your response to this in the 1st post since a lot of people probably have this question. I apologize in advance if I missed it.
uhh... I believe I addressed this in the OP. This exists so that you can replace anyone in the cast with a clone of another character, but it does NOT open up slots - that's something else I'm working on. It also offers people an alternative to cloning without having to use BrawlEX modules for PM characters, since the relocation data works differently between PM and BrawlEX .rels. Hopefully that answers your question!

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
uhh... I believe I addressed this in the OP. This exists so that you can replace anyone in the cast with a clone of another character, but it does NOT open up slots - that's something else I'm working on. It also offers people an alternative to cloning without having to use BrawlEX modules for PM characters, since the relocation data works differently between PM and BrawlEX .rels. Hopefully that answers your question!
So just to break it down and see If I understood correctly....

PM Plug N Play:

1. Capable of replacing ANY character in the roster even if they don't currently have a module ready for a clone (unlike BrawlEX where you need the clone module of the character you want to replace)

2. By not opening up slots, you mean that despite the replacement of a character........the roster number of PM stays unchanged and the character replaced goes bye-bye (Where with Brawlex you can add upon the roster and not take away)

3. Obviously you don't have to deal with setting up Brawlex folders and files....but each clone character still has to have their "name" on the files to match with the name on the module.

4. The files to download in your OP are of the currently available clones (for Plug N Play) to replace a character NOT of replaceable characters that are available to use clones over (since the whole roster is available to replace)

Short & Sweet: It pretty much grants you the ability to replace any character in PM with any PSA no matter what character was used as the base for the PSA

Last edited:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive

PM Plug N Play:

1. Capable of replacing ANY character in the roster even if they don't currently have a module ready for a clone (unlike BrawlEX where you need the clone module of the character you want to replace)

2. By not opening up slots, you mean that despite the replacement of a character........the roster number of PM stays unchanged and the character replaced goes bye-bye (Where with Brawlex you can add upon the roster and not take away)

3. Obviously you don't have to deal with setting up Brawlex folders and files....but each clone character still has to have their "name" on the files to match with the name on the module.

4. The files to download in your OP are of the currently available clones (for Plug N Play) to replace a character NOT of replaceable characters that are available to use clones over (since the whole roster is available to replace)

Short & Sweet: It pretty much grants you the ability to replace any character in PM with any PSA no matter what character was used as the base for the PSA
The modules are used to replace a character. The files have the name of the base character; so if you wanna replace Mario with, say, Ridley, you'd have to use the module, and put all the Ridley files into the Mario folder in your directory. Instead of FitRidley, FitRidley00, etc., it'd just be FitMario, FitMario00, etc.

No adding, just replacing. That's all.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
The modules are used to replace a character. The files have the name of the base character; so if you wanna replace Mario with, say, Ridley, you'd have to use the module, and put all the Ridley files into the Mario folder in your directory. Instead of FitRidley, FitRidley00, etc., it'd just be FitMario, FitMario00, etc.

No adding, just replacing. That's all.
Since you used Mario as an example the module (.rel file) being used would have to be renamed to "ft_mario.rel" replacing mario's default .rel in the PM module folder

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
Since you used Mario as an example the module (.rel file) being used would have to be renamed to "ft_mario.rel" replacing mario's default .rel in the PM module folder
You would also have to open Module Editor and edit the Module's first 8 bytes in Section 8. Actually check the OP

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
You would also have to open Module Editor and edit the Module's first 8 bytes in Section 8. Actually check the OP
I never implied that I didn't know that part. You have to do the same thing with BrawlEX. I already did read the OP 5 times which is why I was initially confused on the difference of this and PM: DIY

Last edited:

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
I never implied that I didn't know that part. You have to do the same thing with BrawlEX. I already did read the OP 5 times which is why I was initially confused on the difference of this and PM: DIY
Ohh, Sorry about that..

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman

PM Plug N Play:

yes, you've nailed it. My intention has primarily been to facilitate character porting
How would one go about replacing Ice Climbers?
ahh... that's an interesting question. I've never tried it myself tbh, but you could try renaming whichever module you intend to use for replacing the climbers (after following the directions in OP, of course) as "ft_iceclimber.rel" and replace the files in the "popo" directory. However, because of the weird character slot setup the climbers have, I can't promise that weirdness won't occur... It might be fine, but I wouldn't try to spawn Sopo. The same goes for replacing Bowser and Wario - they'll probably work fine in their normal forms, but the transformations will freak out.

Last edited:

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
Ports over someone like Mario but the base PSA is over Sonic, Would it work with the Sonic or any character's P+P Rel

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Ports over someone like Mario but the base PSA is over Sonic, Would it work with the Sonic or any character's P+P Rel
so, you have a sonic port over mario, which means that it uses a FitMario.pac and a ft_mario.rel. In that case, I would use the Mario P+P .rel, since the game treats the character's data like an instance of Mario.

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
so, you have a sonic port over mario, which means that it uses a FitMario.pac and a ft_mario.rel. In that case, I would use the Mario P+P .rel, since the game treats the character's data like an instance of Mario.
But, wouldn't the Moveset work over Sonic without the Rel?

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
But, wouldn't the Moveset work over Sonic without the Rel?
hold on, do you mean that you have a sonic PSA (with a FitSonic.pac and a ft_sonic.rel) that you want to put over the Mario slot? Or do you want to take a PSA that was PSA ported over Mario (i.e. sonic's data was copied over in PSA over mario) and port it over anyone in the cast?

Maybe it'd be best if you sent me a link of the PSA in question so that I can give you a better answer.

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
hold on, do you mean that you have a sonic PSA (with a FitSonic.pac and a ft_sonic.rel) that you want to put over the Mario slot? Or do you want to take a PSA that was PSA ported over Mario (i.e. sonic's data was copied over in PSA over mario) and port it over anyone in the cast?

Maybe it'd be best if you sent me a link of the PSA in question so that I can give you a better answer.
Okay, This is only for example http://www.mediafire.com/?znke966nsrqiln1

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Hi Pyotr, first off thanks a lot for working on this .RELs, this makes replacing characters so much easier!

I'm also confused about a few things...
1) For the soundbank code "04AD8XXX YYYYYYYY", one is to "replace XXX with (9E0+Char ID*4)". I'm not very sure on what "9E0+Char ID*4" means, keeping in mind that I have no idea how to edit these types of codes.
2) How's your progress on the soundbank IDs? I was wondering what Dedede's soundbank file is.

If it helps: Like oddzxc, I have replaced Marth over Dedede. What I am trying to is keep Dedede's sounds so that I can replace them with an SFX file intended for Marth.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Hi Pyotr, first off thanks a lot for working on this .RELs, this makes replacing characters so much easier!

I'm also confused about a few things...
1) For the soundbank code "04AD8XXX YYYYYYYY", one is to "replace XXX with (9E0+Char ID*4)". I'm not very sure on what "9E0+Char ID*4" means, keeping in mind that I have no idea how to edit these types of codes.
2) How's your progress on the soundbank IDs? I was wondering what Dedede's soundbank file is.

If it helps: Like oddzxc, I have replaced Marth over Dedede. What I am trying to is keep Dedede's sounds so that I can replace them with an SFX file intended for Marth.
Thanks in advance!
Yeah, of course! I'm always happy to help people out.

1) It's easier than you think haha. To do these operations, you should use a hexadecimal calculator. First, you'll need to refer to my list of Char IDs in the OP to find Dedede's value (I'll save you the trouble: it's 20). Then, you'd multiply the Char ID by 4 and add 9E0 to the newly-multiplied value. I'm pretty sure that the first part of your code is 04AD8A60, but I did that in my head lol.

2) Marth's soundbank ID is 00000013, so that would be your YYYYYYYY.

TooSlow!

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfZorldo
3DS FC
3926-7384-0133
What's pit soundbank ID? And since I put ridley's voice over pit, will me porting goku then putting pit's sound bank in cause goku to have ridley's voice?

NXero

Smash Apprentice
You seem pretty knowledgeable about coding and stuff, have you ever thougt about making an alternate sawnd/soundbank loader for characters, that works similar to the ASRL code used in PM? I see someone on KCMM who was working on this for BrawlEX, but I can't access the link on his sig, so I don't know if he finished it or hit a roadblock, nor do I know if it works on PM. This would make porting and cloning characters with their sound files a lot easier, so I'm surprised it doesn't exist yet.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
You seem pretty knowledgeable about coding and stuff, have you ever thougt about making an alternate sawnd/soundbank loader for characters, that works similar to the ASRL code used in PM? I see someone on KCMM who was working on this for BrawlEX, but I can't access the link on his sig, so I don't know if he finished it or hit a roadblock, nor do I know if it works on PM. This would make porting and cloning characters with their sound files a lot easier, so I'm surprised it doesn't exist yet.
Hmm... That's an interesting concept. I'm playing with the ASRL code now to get BrawlEX to work, so I'll definitely look into it!
PyotrLuzhin PyotrLuzhin Do you know if its possible to make a No Soundbank Code? I want to make Ridley Silent just for now..
Yes, I'll post it later today

What's pit soundbank ID? And since I put ridley's voice over pit, will me porting goku then putting pit's sound bank in cause goku to have ridley's voice?
I'll have to look it up, and weird things will happen with Goku - he'll likely have Ridley's voice.

TooSlow!

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfZorldo
3DS FC
3926-7384-0133
I tried to port Goku over pit (calikingz) to Marth, did everything the OP with the pit p and p rel, and I inserted the moveset and costume files, and the game crashes on the sss when I select a stage.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
I tried to port Goku over pit (calikingz) to Marth, did everything the OP with the pit p and p rel, and I inserted the moveset and costume files, and the game crashes on the sss when I select a stage.
ok, I would remove whatever soundbank code you inserted into your .gct, as I suspect that it may have been added into your codeset incorrectly

also, make sure that you rename the FitPit, FitPitXX, and FitPitMotionEtc files to FitMarth, FitMarthXX, and FitMarthMotionEtc, respectively. Just in case you didn't enter the right value into the .rel, download THIS MODULE.

Last edited:

TooSlow!

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfZorldo
3DS FC
3926-7384-0133
I did rename them, and I didn't insert a soundbank code

TooSlow!

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfZorldo
3DS FC
3926-7384-0133
Ok, I used the rel you linked, it still freezes at the same time, but no buzz, just softcrash. I should mention this is all in training, so any softcrashes are gonna buzzcrash in real fights

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I used the rel you linked, it still freezes at the same time, but no buzz, just softcrash. I should mention this is all in training, so any softcrashes are gonna buzzcrash in real fights
hmmm... pm me a link to the psa you're using and I'll get it to work

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Question, how exactly would one go about porting sound effects? I've read through the thread, and it appears that the only ways to do it are through your Soundbank Code which changes the .sawnd file that gets read from one to another (ie. 04AD8A60 00000013 = Both Marth and Dedede will load Marth's sfx) or by using .wav files and Super Sawndz to manually place the sounds you want into the .sawnd file of the character you're porting over. Is it possible to instead make it so that you can take the .sawnd file from one character and just rename it to replace another characters' sounds? Like for example, could you take a 26.sawnd (Marth's sfx) and rename it to 12.sawnd (Dedede's sfx) and have it work with a ported moveset?

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Question, how exactly would one go about porting sound effects? I've read through the thread, and it appears that the only ways to do it are through your Soundbank Code which changes the .sawnd file that gets read from one to another (ie. 04AD8A60 00000013 = Both Marth and Dedede will load Marth's sfx) or by using .wav files and Super Sawndz to manually place the sounds you want into the .sawnd file of the character you're porting over. Is it possible to instead make it so that you can take the .sawnd file from one character and just rename it to replace another characters' sounds? Like for example, could you take a 26.sawnd (Marth's sfx) and rename it to 12.sawnd (Dedede's sfx) and have it work with a ported moveset?
You have a good understanding of the methods, but at the moment you cannot overwrite soundbanks that easily. I don't know of a better way right now to fix something like that, although I can certainly look into it.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
You have a good understanding of the methods, but at the moment you cannot overwrite soundbanks that easily. I don't know of a better way right now to fix something like that, although I can certainly look into it.
Thanks for replying so quickly, usually it's a day or two wait to get stuff like that answered. And, while I don't have much of any idea of how exactly you'd go about trying to do something like this, I imagine what you'd be looking for would be the method through which the game recognizes where each individual sound effect is located in the .sawnd file. I've worked on Melee mods before, and the character files use a pointer table located at the start of every file to identify where subactions (attack logic) start and stop. Not sure if these work the same way, but I think it might be worth looking at. Thanks for looking into it in the first place, you rock dude.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for replying so quickly, usually it's a day or two wait to get stuff like that answered. And, while I don't have much of any idea of how exactly you'd go about trying to do something like this, I imagine what you'd be looking for would be the method through which the game recognizes where each individual sound effect is located in the .sawnd file. I've worked on Melee mods before, and the character files use a pointer table located at the start of every file to identify where subactions (attack logic) start and stop. Not sure if these work the same way, but I think it might be worth looking at. Thanks for looking into it in the first place, you rock dude.
Thanks man, I'll update the OP when I've found something. I appreciate the support, and thanks for the info!

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, of course! I'm always happy to help people out.

1) It's easier than you think haha. To do these operations, you should use a hexadecimal calculator. First, you'll need to refer to my list of Char IDs in the OP to find Dedede's value (I'll save you the trouble: it's 20). Then, you'd multiply the Char ID by 4 and add 9E0 to the newly-multiplied value. I'm pretty sure that the first part of your code is 04AD8A60, but I did that in my head lol.

2) Marth's soundbank ID is 00000013, so that would be your YYYYYYYY.
Thanks again! Although I think I worded my original message wrong lol. I have replaced the Marth.rel over Dedede's .rel, but I would to keep using Dedede's 12.sawnd file (instead of Marth's) so that I can further replace each individual sound effect in Super Sawndz.

(Basically I am replacing a Lucina PSA over Dedede via the Marth.rel, I have done everything except the sound effects which I am totally lost at.)

Last edited:

TooSlow!

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfZorldo
3DS FC
3926-7384-0133
When you rename a sawnd file to a different character's sawnd (ie: using a sonic sawnd and renaming it to mario's id), the game will freeze. (atleast without the soundbank code)

Top Bottom