• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Over-Representation VS Under-Representation

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it would be out of line to add Fiora, Elma or Cross to Smash (pick one of those three), in terms of the person asking if Xenoblade would be "over repped". Two character's isn't a lot, and Xenoblade has a single stage, no Smash run enemies that I know of, and no items. Either a second Chronicles character or someone from X.

As for K. Rool's fanbase, you have to realize that many in that thread have been asking for this character since Melee and continuously get the shaft, and they see this as their last chance to get him into the game, while also making him used again in the Donkey Kong series. I agree that some of them can get a bit heated and sometimes even lash out at folks, but the vast majority of them in there are good people.
You mentioned that the K. Rool fan base has been wanting him in since Melee, but take a second to reflect upon the fact that Dedede was cut from 64 AND Melee.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
You mentioned that the K. Rool fan base has been wanting him in since Melee, but take a second to reflect upon the fact that Dedede was cut from 64 AND Melee.
Yes, this is correct. Thankfully Dedede was in Brawl.

K. Rool fans are still waiting, so my point stands.

I can scarcely imagine Dedede being in the same situation as K. Rool right now, if he were ignored for this long and having to use a Ballot to get in.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Yes, this is correct. Thankfully Dedede was in Brawl.

K. Rool fans are still waiting, so my point stands.

I can scarcely imagine Dedede being in the same situation as K. Rool right now, if he were ignored for this long and having to use a Ballot to get in.
Sadly, there have been many people waiting for over a decade for certain characters to get in. However, had the focus on Smash characters not changed from "Hall of Famers" to "Series Representation", Dedede could very well be in that boat.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Alright, I've seen a bunch of posts about how there's no way that you could devise a moveset for other F-Zero reps. For those of you that have seen my Fantendo game, Super Smash Bros. Universe, you would know that there are 8 F-Zero reps in the game. And for all of them I could devise unique movesets. Allow me to explain them.

Samurai Goroh - I added Takamaru to the game's roster as well, so you think of these two as Balrog and Dudley from Street Fighter. One's an elegant swordsman, while the other is a barbarian with his sword moves.

Kate Alen - A character whose movset is a mix of singing and dancing along with karate moves inspired by blaxploitation films of the most 1970's.

Lily Flyer - A character that has access to 26th century military weapons. In addition, many aspects of her moves and fighting style are inspired by Cassie Cage, and Sonya Blade from the Mortal Kombat series... Except with no blood or fatalities of course!

Jody Summer - A police officer who can use blasters along with other moves inspired by her role in the F-Zero anime.

Black Shadow - In all honesty, someone else designed an original moveset somewhere on the site that I used. If anyone who made it is around, thanks!

Rick Wheeler - Clone of Captain Falcon, except with electricity instead of fire, and dragons appearing rather than falcons.

The point is, it just takes some creativity, and inspiration to make any character in Smash work. By the way, I don't believe in overrepresentation, I see it as how many interesting movesets can we get into the game!

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I've seen a bunch of posts about how there's no way that you could devise a moveset for other F-Zero reps. For those of you that have seen my Fantendo game, Super Smash Bros. Universe, you would know that there are 8 F-Zero reps in the game. And for all of them I could devise unique movesets. Allow me to explain them.

Samurai Goroh - I added Takamaru to the game's roster as well, so you think of these two as Balrog and Dudley from Street Fighter. One's an elegant swordsman, while the other is a barbarian with his sword moves.

Kate Alen - A character whose movset is a mix of singing and dancing along with karate moves inspired by blaxploitation films of the most 1970's.

Lily Flyer - A character that has access to 26th century military weapons. In addition, many aspects of her moves and fighting style are inspired by Cassie Cage, and Sonya Blade from the Mortal Kombat series... Except with no blood or fatalities of course!

Jody Summer - A police officer who can use blasters along with other moves inspired by her role in the F-Zero anime.

Black Shadow - In all honesty, someone else designed an original moveset somewhere on the site that I used. If anyone who made it is around, thanks!

Rick Wheeler - Clone of Captain Falcon, except with electricity instead of fire, and dragons appearing rather than falcons.

The point is, it just takes some creativity, and inspiration to make any character in Smash work. By the way, I don't believe in overrepresentation, I see it as how many interesting movesets can we get into the game!
You have a good point. Many characters, clones or not, bring nothing new to the Smash roster in terms of diversity. It takes one look at characters like Lucario or Shulk, which outside of glorified rage and a stat altering move, bring nothing we haven't seen before.

jranks

Smash Cadet
The F-Zero series is heavenly under-represented, only Captain Falcon for 4 main consoles games and the handheld. We could definitely use another character from that series. Donkey Kong and Metroid need more representatives, they both only have 2 each (Metroid has Samus and.... Samus)

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
The F-Zero series is heavenly under-represented, only Captain Falcon for 4 main consoles games and the handheld. We could definitely use another character from that series. Donkey Kong and Metroid need more representatives, they both only have 2 each (Metroid has Samus and.... Samus)
Eh, the trouble comes in finding a recognizable character. Reboots of those franchises, mostly F-Zero and Metroid(And no, that crappy 3DS excuse for a Metroid game doesn't count) would help make a character from those franchises recognizable.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
DK is underrepped for sure.

I think it needs something green. Preferably with a crown.
But Wart is a Mario Bros. character.

The only franchises I could honestly called underrepresented are Metroid and Golden Sun. Especially Golden Sun, it's almost like they have nothing at all. Oh wait...

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
But Wart is a Mario Bros. character.

The only franchises I could honestly called underrepresented are Metroid and Golden Sun. Especially Golden Sun, it's almost like they have nothing at all. Oh wait...
Golden Sun is, sadly, not the only Nintendo franchise that's under-repped. Also, am I the only one who would have preferred Amaterasu to Mega Man as a Capcom rep?

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Also, am I the only one who would have preferred Amaterasu to Mega Man as a Capcom rep?
Maybe you are alone with that... but Amaterasu instead of "the idea of Ryu".
We would never know that Ryu would have such a representative moveset... not even our good King of evil get such respect from the Dev team...

In other hands, I would be a devils advocate for Fire Emblem.
They aren`t that over-rep... they are badly represented... 2 Clones? my god!... in the games there are a lot of kind of fighters (Axes, Swords, Lances, Magic, Riders and F***** Dragons), but no, 2 Marth clones FTW... I wouldn't mind 5 FE characters if they represent diferent aspect of the game, like Robin...
Obviously, DK and Metroid lack characters, and everyone here knows which ones...

I really hope we get something that make us all have fun...

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you are alone with that... but Amaterasu instead of "the idea of Ryu".
We would never know that Ryu would have such a representative moveset... not even our good King of evil get such respect from the Dev team...

In other hands, I would be a devils advocate for Fire Emblem.
They aren`t that over-rep... they are badly represented... 2 Clones? my god!... in the games there are a lot of kind of fighters (Axes, Swords, Lances, Magic, Riders and F***** Dragons), but no, 2 Marth clones FTW... I wouldn't mind 5 FE characters if they represent diferent aspect of the game, like Robin...
Obviously, DK and Metroid lack characters, and everyone here knows which ones...

I really hope we get something that make us all have fun...
I actually LOVE Ryu. He's one of, if not the most original characters new to Smash 4. I wanted Tiki or Morgan, but nooooo...

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Thats what I mean, Ryu is absolutely the best thing ever (in terms of movesets). His moveset really reflect who is he, with a lot of respect... I wish all the characters get that kind of love... but noooo...

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Thats what I mean, Ryu is absolutely the best thing ever (in terms of movesets). His moveset really reflect who is he, with a lot of respect... I wish all the characters get that kind of love... but noooo...
Ryu is a real gem of a character, and he really represents his franchise of origin. Why couldn't the other specially-oriented fighting characters, Lucario and Little Mac, be like Ryu?

Last edited:

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
I think they have their own gimmicks...
Lucario with his Aura and and Mac with the KO-Bar
but I think Lucario may have more "Pokemon-moves", like Bone rush, metal claw, brick break...and so on (The other pokemon need more of this too)...
And Mac could use some of that tap-or-press moves from Ryu, that can make him quicker and more viable...

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
I think they have their own gimmicks...
Lucario with his Aura and and Mac with the KO-Bar
but I think Lucario may have more "Pokemon-moves", like Bone rush, metal claw, brick break...and so on (The other pokemon need more of this too)...
And Mac could use some of that tap-or-press moves from Ryu, that can make him quicker and more viable...
Lucario just has a bit of a stale moveset. Also, his Aura is really glorified rage. Mac has some more gimmicks, like the fsmash into uppercut thing.

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Well, that's the thing, we have a lot of characters, but not everyone got lucky in the moveset department.
Another example is the StarFox Trio, with 2 semiclones... and that is shamefull.
We get that is hard to make a moveset for a character that is just inside his ship in the games, yet is amazing how cool are Fox and Captain Falcon.
Buf, why Falco has "clone" moves to fox?... even in the Subspace Emisary cutscenes falco had 2 blasters, why not in the game? or having another recovery move? or even a third jump, since he is a bird... don't even talk about the landmaster
and Wolf... if I had an archnemesis I would fight him in a complete diferent way... And my team would cover me from the air in my Final Smash (I wish I have a FinalSmash...)
That's why I supported Krystal instead of Wolf, at least with her it wouldn't make any sense a clone moveset...

Even more... Dixie, if we got her... I hope she has her own moves instead of Diddy's

Troykv

Smash Master
Well, that's the thing, we have a lot of characters, but not everyone got lucky in the moveset department.
Another example is the StarFox Trio, with 2 semiclones... and that is shamefull.
We get that is hard to make a moveset for a character that is just inside his ship in the games, yet is amazing how cool are Fox and Captain Falcon.
Buf, why Falco has "clone" moves to fox?... even in the Subspace Emisary cutscenes falco had 2 blasters, why not in the game? or having another recovery move? or even a third jump, since he is a bird... don't even talk about the landmaster
and Wolf... if I had an archnemesis I would fight him in a complete diferent way... And my team would cover me from the air in my Final Smash (I wish I have a FinalSmash...)
That's why I supported Krystal instead of Wolf, at least with her it wouldn't make any sense a clone moveset...

Even more... Dixie, if we got her... I hope she has her own moves instead of Diddy's
Well... Actually Wolf only shares like the 30% of Fox's moveset (The Specials and B-Air, and only the Down B and the Landmaster works in the same way).

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman

Fox and Falco are so far apart I almost don't consider them clones. Its not like Lucas and Ness, where they're so different they can't be considered clones except for their Final Smash, ripped straight out of Brawl Lucario's.

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Now they are more diferent, but in melee Falco was a clone... The changes are most in "how they use the same weapons" instead of having different weapons. I would like to see more creativity in that, but it's harder because they didn't step off their ships untill SF Adventures and Assault.
The same with Lucas, even all of his specials aren't his in the game... (I would like to see PSI Rockin in Ness too)

Last edited:

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Now they are more diferent, but in melee Falco was a clone... The changes are most in "how they use the same weapons" instead of having different weapons. I would like to see more creativity in that, but it's harder because they didn't step off their ships untill SF Adventures and Assault.
The same with Lucas, even all of his specials aren't his in the game... (I would like to see PK Rockin in Ness too)
Please don't make me Aura Sphere you... PSI ROCKIN, NOT PK ROCKIN!

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
I think Zelda to a certain extend is underrepped. Despite having 5 characters, two of those are semi-clones (Tink and Ganon) and one of them doesn't even reflect their original game at all (Ganon). For new reps I've been seeing a lot of Tetra/Toon Zelda support, which I guess could work with the kind-of new Wind Waker HD, but that would make half of the Zelda reps semi-clones. =/

FE shouldn't gain any more but I wouldn't necessarily say it's overrepped: Lucina is a clone and Roy is a semi-clone. Also, I understand game balance and all, but I personally disagree with Robin and more importantly Ike being slow. Ike was hella fast in PoR, and Robin was never short of Speed for me in my thirty-something Awakening playthroughs. If anyone else would be added (even though that would be awful, and push FE to third most represented behind Nintendo's two biggies, Pokemon and Mario which is ridiculous), the only candidates that would make sense would be Kamui/Aqua from the new one or maybe Micaiah due to her sort-of popularity.

Pikmin only has 1 rep which is sad but it makes sense: there are a grand total of 6 characters. I wish I was kidding. If any more would be added, I would say make Alph an Olimar clone/semi-clone and give them both two pallette swaps to represent every character in the Pikmin franchise (Louie and the President for Olimar, Brittany and Charlie for Alph). Alph's differences could be having the RBY + Rock and Winged Pikmin, as opposed to Olimar having RBY + Purple and White, and maybe a height or weight difference and some attack changes.

I'd say DK, Star Fox are also under-repped for reasons people have started. There are tons of possibilites and Donkey Kong and for Star Fox they could bring back Wolf, or maybe add Peppy/(please no)Slippy. Mother, F-Zero, Xenoblade and Kirby are fine I'd say. Never played Metroid so I can't really comment on that. My self-made category of Mario + related (Yoshi, Wario, DK, Diddy, R.O.B) is pretty huge but Mario is kind of Nintendo's mascot and most of those are unique and add to the roster anyway (by "most" I mean everybody but Dr. Mario). All the unmentioned one-offs are ok (Wii Fit, Street Fighter, Animal Crossing, Sonic, Punch-Out, Mega Man and the retro trio).

Pokemon shouldn't get anyone new in the next Smash to be honest, it's pretty overdone. Kirby could do with some more reps: I've been seeing a lot of Bandana Dee support which could work, or Waddle Dee to complete the Kirby's Adventure Wii/Return to Dream Land playable character squad. Anyway, I believe that's everyone. (woops I accidentally wrote an essay lol)

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
To me Mario is overrepped, Rosalina shouldn't be in the game.

DK is underrepresented.

Retro characters should be more.

For those of you saying Fire Emblem is overrepped. The series is like Pokemon having new characters each time. All the characters added from the series are important.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
I think Zelda to a certain extend is underrepped. Despite having 5 characters, two of those are semi-clones (Tink and Ganon) and one of them doesn't even reflect their original game at all (Ganon). For new reps I've been seeing a lot of Tetra/Toon Zelda support, which I guess could work with the kind-of new Wind Waker HD, but that would make half of the Zelda reps semi-clones. =/

FE shouldn't gain any more but I wouldn't necessarily say it's overrepped: Lucina is a clone and Roy is a semi-clone. Also, I understand game balance and all, but I personally disagree with Robin and more importantly Ike being slow. Ike was hella fast in PoR, and Robin was never short of Speed for me in my thirty-something Awakening playthroughs. If anyone else would be added (even though that would be awful, and push FE to third most represented behind Nintendo's two biggies, Pokemon and Mario which is ridiculous), the only candidates that would make sense would be Kamui/Aqua from the new one or maybe Micaiah due to her sort-of popularity.

Pikmin only has 1 rep which is sad but it makes sense: there are a grand total of 6 characters. I wish I was kidding. If any more would be added, I would say make Alph an Olimar clone/semi-clone and give them both two pallette swaps to represent every character in the Pikmin franchise (Louie and the President for Olimar, Brittany and Charlie for Alph). Alph's differences could be having the RBY + Rock and Winged Pikmin, as opposed to Olimar having RBY + Purple and White, and maybe a height or weight difference and some attack changes.

I'd say DK, Star Fox are also under-repped for reasons people have started. There are tons of possibilites and Donkey Kong and for Star Fox they could bring back Wolf, or maybe add Peppy/(please no)Slippy. Mother, F-Zero, Xenoblade and Kirby are fine I'd say. Never played Metroid so I can't really comment on that. My self-made category of Mario + related (Yoshi, Wario, DK, Diddy, R.O.B) is pretty huge but Mario is kind of Nintendo's mascot and most of those are unique and add to the roster anyway (by "most" I mean everybody but Dr. Mario). All the unmentioned one-offs are ok (Wii Fit, Street Fighter, Animal Crossing, Sonic, Punch-Out, Mega Man and the retro trio).

Pokemon shouldn't get anyone new in the next Smash to be honest, it's pretty overdone. Kirby could do with some more reps: I've been seeing a lot of Bandana Dee support which could work, or Waddle Dee to complete the Kirby's Adventure Wii/Return to Dream Land playable character squad. Anyway, I believe that's everyone. (woops I accidentally wrote an essay lol)
I wanted Hilda(from A Link Between Worlds) but she was delegated to a Zelda costume. Bah.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'd say Metroid and DK are severely underrepresented. We've not gotten much in the way of either series since SSB64, always a jungle level/lava level, always the same sounding remixes, no new characters until Brawl, and none since, and the conspicuous absence of a major villain.

Star Fox also could use a bit more creativity, particularly in the Final Smash department.

I'd also argue that Zelda is slightly underrepresented. In terms of characters, they're perfect (but I'd love to have Ghirahim and Midna to round out the 'Minor villain' and 'Exposition fairy' types). However, they're still hopelessly cloned from each other. This is the first game where Toon Link doesn't even get a unique crowd cheer! I think they need some love in decloning, particularly after Hyrule Warriors showed us what we should have by now.

Overrepped: Fire Emblem a bit, but I have no problem with overuse of swordsmen. I don't like overuse of the same swordsman.

Also, Kid Icarus, but that's obvious. All the KI content is from the same game, which was the series' first in over 20 years. They make up most of the enemies in Smash run, have multiple Assist characters (DK is still waiting for its first), the Classic Mode was thrown out to make way for the new "Classic mode: Uprising, " and of course, that's the major stage with the codec. KI is a tiny 3-game series, but makes up the majority of content rivaling Pokémon and Mario.

I think Mario and Pokémon are repped fine. They are both Nintendo's massive flagships, and should be repped accordingly. Also, it's ok to have Gen 1 repped more than the others, since that's the first one, and most Smashers who are 25+ know the older ones better than the newer ones.

I would make a rule for this discussion to not be able to talk about Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario. These characters often drive people's arguments and it's not fair because they are extras that hardly took up development time. They were costumes initially. Removing these characters alone from the discussion and then taking another look at Kid Icarus for example, suddenly, this franchise isn't so over represented anymore. (That is character wise at least.)
I do not like the clones. Usually, I only accept a clone if I like the clone more than the parent character, so Ganondorf was it, and even now he's getting irritating since Hyrule Warriors showed us what could have been. I'd have preferred they be cut. Smash is a game of quality over quantity, and I don't think inflating the roster by three makes it better.
I accept that those three didn't prevent Ridley or K.Rool. The thing I don't accept is the argument that they took only 5 seconds of dev time and we got a free gift. Case in point: What I'd rather have had them do with the dev time that was Dark Pit
  • Instead of giving Dark Pit a unique crowd chant, I'd have given one to Toon Link. TL (and by extention, Link himself) are now the only characters in Smash history to share a crowd chant
  • Instead of giving Dark Pit three unique victory poses, I'd have rechecked animations to fix problems like Link's item-raising anim. When Link raises a special flag, he clips his entire face through his arm, which is really sloppy. This from one of the only characters who's parent game involves him holding up items habitually.
  • Instead of giving Dark Pit a unique victory theme, I'd have given one to Ganondorf. Meta Knight, and now Bowser each have rock remixes of their home themes to show their dark sides. Ganondorf stands out since he doesn't.
  • Instead of giving Dark Pit unique recolors, I'd have made sure to make a shiny recolor for Lucario and Charizard. There is really no excuse for not including that.
In each case, the replacement is pretty much taking the same dev time. I'm not saying that I want Ridley, K.Rool, and Wolf instead of the clone brigade (I do, but that's not the argument), but I recognize that they take time to do. After all, Robin's Palutena codec is pretty insulting to Chrom fans considering the addition of Dark Pit in the first place.
Just because the clone took less dev time doesn't mean it took none. It still had to be made, and people who are not good with the parent now have to play the same character essentially twice for certain challenges. Let's also point out that BOTH of the Marth challenges are on the top row, and one can't be hammered. Good luck to people who are not good with Marth but want to collect everything.

And I'd wonder what would happen if instead of DP and Lucina, we'd gotten K.Rool (Bowser) and Ridley (Charizard) clones...those series would get the representation they need, the KI/FE series woudn't get the overrepresentation that's killing support for further KI/FE characters, and then the people who like large reptilian bosses would finally get something... I don't think we'd be having these arguments.
Of course then in SSB5, we'd be arguing the same as we are with Ganondorf now, that he needs to be decloned...

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
I'd say Metroid and DK are severely underrepresented. We've not gotten much in the way of either series since SSB64, always a jungle level/lava level, always the same sounding remixes, no new characters until Brawl, and none since, and the conspicuous absence of a major villain.

Star Fox also could use a bit more creativity, particularly in the Final Smash department.

I'd also argue that Zelda is slightly underrepresented. In terms of characters, they're perfect (but I'd love to have Ghirahim and Midna to round out the 'Minor villain' and 'Exposition fairy' types). However, they're still hopelessly cloned from each other. This is the first game where Toon Link doesn't even get a unique crowd cheer! I think they need some love in decloning, particularly after Hyrule Warriors showed us what we should have by now.

Overrepped: Fire Emblem a bit, but I have no problem with overuse of swordsmen. I don't like overuse of the same swordsman.

Also, Kid Icarus, but that's obvious. All the KI content is from the same game, which was the series' first in over 20 years. They make up most of the enemies in Smash run, have multiple Assist characters (DK is still waiting for its first), the Classic Mode was thrown out to make way for the new "Classic mode: Uprising, " and of course, that's the major stage with the codec. KI is a tiny 3-game series, but makes up the majority of content rivaling Pokémon and Mario.

I think Mario and Pokémon are repped fine. They are both Nintendo's massive flagships, and should be repped accordingly. Also, it's ok to have Gen 1 repped more than the others, since that's the first one, and most Smashers who are 25+ know the older ones better than the newer ones.

Just because the clone took less dev time doesn't mean it took none. It still had to be made, and people who are not good with the parent now have to play the same character essentially twice for certain challenges. Let's also point out that BOTH of the Marth challenges are on the top row, and one can't be hammered. Good luck to people who are not good with Marth but want to collect everything.

And I'd wonder what would happen if instead of DP and Lucina, we'd gotten K.Rool (Bowser) and Ridley (Charizard) clones...those series would get the representation they need, the KI/FE series woudn't get the overrepresentation that's killing support for further KI/FE characters, and then the people who like large reptilian bosses would finally get something... I don't think we'd be having these arguments.
Of course then in SSB5, we'd be arguing the same as we are with Ganondorf now, that he needs to be decloned...
Ganondorf has been Nintendo's biggest crap can in Smash. He had SO much potential as his own character. I would rather they had taken Ganondorf out of Melee, put Dedede in his place, and put Ganondorf in Brawl with a unique moveset.

Last edited:

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf has been Nintendo's biggest crap can in Smash. He had SO much potential as his own character. I would rather they had taken Ganondorf out of Melee, put Dedede in his place, and put Ganondorf in Brawl with a unique moveset. Dedede was half-coded into Melee, anyways.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Mario is the flagship series of Nintendo, so of course they get a lot of characters over every other series.

It's pretty much expected to have a new Mario character in every installment.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Mario is the flagship series of Nintendo, so of course they get a lot of characters over every other series.

We didn't get one in Brawl. Come to think of it, the only serieses Brawl expanded on a whole lot were Pokemon and Kirby, tripling the sizes of the returning veterans. (In case you don't believe me, Kirby got Meta Knight and Dedede, Pikachu and Jiggs got Squitle, Ivysaur, Charizard, AND Lucario.)

Last edited:

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
We didn't get one in Brawl.
:wario: How about me?

But yeah, Kirby and Pokémon got real love with more representation

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
We didn't get one in Brawl. Come to think of it, the only serieses Brawl expanded on a whole lot were Pokemon and Kirby, tripling the sizes of the returning veterans. (In case you don't believe me, Kirby got Meta Knight and Dedede, Pikachu and Jiggs got Squitle, Ivysaur, Charizard, AND Lucario.)
I completely forgot about that lol

:wario: How about me?

But yeah, Kirby and Pokémon got real love with more representation
Wario was put in for WarioWare, but he's appeared in many Mario games so....

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
Ganondorf has been Nintendo's biggest crap can in Smash. He had SO much potential as his own character. I would rather they had taken Ganondorf out of Melee, put Dedede in his place, and put Ganondorf in Brawl with a unique moveset. Dedede was half-coded into Melee, anyways.
I'm pretty sure if D3 had enough data,then he could be modded into the game,like Mewtwo in Brawl
To me Mario is overrepped, Rosalina shouldn't be in the game.

DK is underrepresented.

Retro characters should be more.

For those of you saying Fire Emblem is overrepped. The series is like Pokemon having new characters each time. All the characters added from the series are important.
DK is probably gonna get K.Rool and Dixie

I say Balloon Fighter as the next Retro Character

Fire Emblem is fine where it is(tho if we had less Fire Emblem games,then Fire Emblem would be overepresented)

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

Dedede could not be put in Ganondorfs place in melee, that doesn't make sense

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Perhaps you misunderstand what I'm saying? Ganondorf wouldn't have been in Melee. It would have been Dedede, not Ganondorf.
No. If they removed Ganondorf, Dedede wouldn't have been put in. When Marth was selected, Dedede was the backup plan if Marth wasn't given the OK. The clones are just extra, and took little dev time. Sakurai said he could possibly have put in one more character instead of ALL the clones, but that character most likely would have been Wario.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
No. If they removed Ganondorf, Dedede wouldn't have been put in. When Marth was selected, Dedede was the backup plan if Marth wasn't given the OK. The clones are just extra, and took little dev time. Sakurai said he could possibly have put in one more character instead of ALL the clones, but that character most likely would have been Wario.
Except, you would think they would give Dedede a bit of a priority boost, since that was the exact reason he was cut from 64-- time constraints. If the Dev team had more time, the roster would have looked much different. Lucas would be in, not Ness, Snake and Dedede would be in, in place of the clones, as well as Wario and possibly Pit(though little is known about Pit being in Melee.) Falco would be much different, Ganondorf, Roy, Pichu, and Young Link might not exist, or at least the first in a heavily altered state, and I could speculate more, but until someone makes a time machine so we can go back in time and positively sabotage Melee's development, kinda like what Lucina did in Awakening, we might never know.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind 5 FE characters if they represent diferent aspect of the game, like Robin...
This is my stance on Fire Emblem too. I don't mind that it has 5 characters, but I do not like how three of them have the same moves, more or less, and all of them use swords. The series has a Rock-Paper-Scissors element in its weapon selection that plays a big role in the game's strategy, so why only pick one weapon type.

As for F-Zero, I don't like the idea of a moveset being pulled out of thin air like what was done for Captain Falcon. Until another character does something other than drive a car in-game, I rather the good Captain stay the lone playable fighter.

As for Metroid, I am also fine with Samus being alone (aside from a different form of herself). The games' have always had that isolation feel, and so no other characters really hold that much weight aside from those that don't translate to Smash Bros so well, ie the main bosses.

DK can go either way for me, I see it as an extension of the Mario series, which has more than enough fighters now, so I'm fine if they stick with DK and Diddy. I don't mind seeing a new face and would welcome K. Rool, Cranky or Dixie with open arms as long as they are not clones. To me, I rather see a new DK stage that isn't terrible or a jungle, and especially have more songs aside from remixes of the Jungle Hijinx theme.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
This is my stance on Fire Emblem too. I don't mind that it has 5 characters, but I do not like how three of them have the same moves, more or less, and all of them use swords. The series has a Rock-Paper-Scissors element in its weapon selection that plays a big role in the game's strategy, so why only pick one weapon type.

As for F-Zero, I don't like the idea of a moveset being pulled out of thin air like what was done for Captain Falcon. Until another character does something other than drive a car in-game, I rather the good Captain stay the lone playable fighter.

As for Metroid, I am also fine with Samus being alone (aside from a different form of herself). The games' have always had that isolation feel, and so no other characters really hold that much weight aside from those that don't translate to Smash Bros so well, ie the main bosses.

DK can go either way for me, I see it as an extension of the Mario series, which has more than enough fighters now, so I'm fine if they stick with DK and Diddy. I don't mind seeing a new face and would welcome K. Rool, Cranky or Dixie with open arms as long as they are not clones. To me, I rather see a new DK stage that isn't terrible or a jungle, and especially have more songs aside from remixes of the Jungle Hijinx theme.
I think they would work better as ATs. Yes I know that counts as shots fired, but still.

Top Bottom