• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix

PND

Smash Champion
Harold, since I'm broke I can't accept your money match, but I am seriously up to having a best of 5 match, my MK vs your C. Falcon for bragging rights, which to be honest, means as much to me as money.
Money can be exchanged for food. Money wins.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
If I can get my tablet back from my friend, I might do a weekly Ottawa pic/comic as well, if I wasn't stepping on your toes.
Just send me whatever picture you make (be sure to slap 'Ottawa thread' or something of the like on it) and I'll post it up. Ideally it'd be a different picture every single day so as to encourage the kids to check the thread out often, but that's not likely to happen.

Jazriel: Haha, whatever works. At least get your name on Randy's waiting list or something as I probably won't be showing up for friendlies for a while. You'd have to show up on a biweekly day.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Waiting list? Oh, I guess I actually need to say I want in on this weeks bi-weekly >_>

So yeah, Randyz, I want to SHOW YOU MY MOVES!!!

HHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, the M.Bison AI in SFII is beyond broken if I remember right. But yeah, maybe I'll be decent enough to show up for a bi-weekly one of these days. I figure, when I can beat Mike almost as many times as he beats me, then I might have a shot. :laugh:

Locke)

Smash Ace
I miss when video game producers didn't care about players feelings.

They should put the SF2 team to work on smash because their motto: "If it don't work, release another version that's either faster, bigger or both" There were what..10 SF2 titles?

Or Megaman team, they know how to make a real gamer's game.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
And how to cross over Mega Man and Street Fighter. After having the Hadouken and the Dragon Punch in X and X2, I was disappointed when X3 didn't have the Hurricane Kick.

Locke)

Smash Ace
Wiiware: Competitive Brawl Download. Make it like 20, 000 points. Add l-cancelling. That's the ONLY thing we really really need...maybe a little hitstun. Wavedashing isn't thattttt necessary.

Sakurai/women gets their party brawl, and we get to sleep well at night.

PND

Smash Champion
Yeah, the M.Bison AI in SFII is beyond broken if I remember right. But yeah, maybe I'll be decent enough to show up for a bi-weekly one of these days. I figure, when I can beat Mike almost as many times as he beats me, then I might have a shot. :laugh:
Don't get discouraged. As long as you learn from your defeats you'll be doing alright. Just try and keep an eye out for your bad habits and you'll certainly get better. Read some of the guides here or on AiB and watch some videos to get an idea of the implementation of the techniques.

Wiiware: Competitive Brawl Download. Make it like 20, 000 points. Add l-cancelling. That's the ONLY thing we really really need...maybe a little hitstun. Wavedashing isn't thattttt necessary.

Sakurai/women gets their party brawl, and we get to sleep well at night.
Or auto-autocancelling. Hitsun would be nice too, or gimp dodges somehow

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
brawl needs hitstun. hitstun first and foremost.

everything after that is optional imho.

personally i thought the way the demo did l-cancel was really cool (in the demo if you ffed before doing the aerial it autocanceled) and was conducive to uair juggles, didn't take any tech skill to learn so it even follows brawl's "easy to learn, easy to apply, hard to mess up" theme, and made comboing straight forward but fluid simultaneously.

PND

Smash Champion
Yeah, or the instruction book was written as to the demo version and left unmodified. Or Sakurai wanted to fill us with false hopes and then crush them.

Locke)

Smash Ace
Beginner question: What are WiiWare's capabilities? Can a disc-quality game be released or only sub-par mini-game type ones.

Ninja Edit: Wii's potential probably lies in Wiiware imo.

Ninja..Samurai..Edit?: Wiiware would also piss off Nintendo's final group, store owners.

PND

Smash Champion
They have a storage cap on Wiiware games, I think, because the storage issue has not been addressed yet. SD cards don't count. I prefer physical copies of games anyway.

I'd imagine patching could be implemented this way, but it's hard to say. Sakurai said it's impossible fro Brawl.

PND

Smash Champion
I'm working late and taking a break. God**** working late sucks, looks like I'll be going until about 9 AM. Crazy workload for the loss.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Well people are already hacking the game to "patch" things up (remove tripping) but those types of modifications arent really allowed at tourneys. According to the SBR anyways.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Pfft, modifying the game turns into "My modifications are better" and all that bull****. A game must be used as is, unless as a whole a rational group can understand the necessity of modification to improve the quality of the game.

That's why Smash has the option to turn items off, even in Smash64 they had that. Next thing people will decide they're masters of meta-physical analysis of the characters and they'll start modifying the knockback and damage of moves etc blah blah blah.

There's a good reason why game development takes years, it's not all graphic design and coding. There's brainstorming, testing, implementation, tweaking, balancing, etc.

That's also why the banning of a character in a fighting game is such a contentious issue.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
And sometimes they skip a few steps.... like balancing..... :urg:
I would love to see an essay proving why you, or any average player, know more about the game and how to balance it than the people who made it.

Point made.

buenob

Smash Lord
lol i usually stay out of this business, but I can't hlep it lol

'prove your side right or my side is right' is pretty much what everyone makes fun of american's about... lets not get into that :)

Jazriel

Smash Ace
lol i usually stay out of this business, but I can't hlep it lol

'prove your side right or my side is right' is pretty much what everyone makes fun of american's about... lets not get into that :)
"No army goes to war thinking God is on the other side." :p

I'm not saying I'm right, I'm merely saying that the people who think they have the necessary knowledge to modify the game are idiots.

Banning MK is a meta-physical decision based on the game, modifying game code to arbitrarily alter aspects of the game is entirely physical.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Well in this case I believe that brawl was balanced based with the notion of items on and ffa matches. So im not sure if its balanced for its intended purposes but for our purposes it does not seem to be. Which should also be expected of any fighting game.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Well in this case I believe that brawl was balanced based with the notion of items on and ffa matches. So im not sure if its balanced for its intended purposes but for our purposes it does not seem to be. Which should also be expected of any fighting game.
The objective of any fighting game is to fight. It's ludicrous to think that a game developer would willingly let half the game be unbalanced merely because.

Besides, it's easiest to balance a fighting game when you just have the characters and levels. Why would one work backwards, trying to incorporate characters into a game with items? And if that were the case, would it be a fighting game or would it be an item game with fighting?

People who think they can just willy-nilly modify a game to make it "better" are just delusional.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Having a balanced fighter is not the same as having a balanced fighter with items. So you can spend all the time balancing without items but things will change once you add them, you may require tweaks or a full blown rebalancing. Of course this depends on the items, such as the final smash which is specific to each character.

So its possible that the balancing of with and without items are in contention with one another, where if one is balanced the other isnt. I dont know if that is the case here (the contention) but they affect each other somehow.

Personally I dont care about modifying or changing the game, I play what im given as long as I can enjoy it. However, some mods can be better than the original, but this really only works on the pc.

jan

Smash Cadet
I don't know how people still don't get this. Brawl has now sold ~7 million copies. If each and every one of the ~100,000 members of Smashboards has Brawl and plays it competitively, they would account for about ~1% of Brawl sales. (But actually it would be significantly smaller than even that number due to zero post accounts and spam/inactive accounts.)

Having the development team spend extra effort just to please less than 1% of their customers would be a waste of time and money, plain and simple.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Which reminds me:

Squashfest!

When? Where? Why? Who? How?

Or will you all be to busy eating turkey?

I say Sunday, goodlife, preferably early again so as not to interfere with dinner and such.

Locke)

Smash Ace
1. Smashboards is not the only smash related forum around.
2. Anyone from those 7 million might want to become competitive with the game, so a competitive title would ensure the future of our community.
3. I also noted another version of the game would have to be purchased, and I doubt Nintendo would pass up an opportunity to grab more of our monies.
4. I'm no developer, but since the game is already made, they wouldn't have to make it from scratch right? More like tack on one or two facets.

I don't see it being either a waste of time or money.

This is just all dreaming for the sake of conversation. There's no need to put down anyone's ideas, just start dreaming too.

jan

Smash Cadet
I think the only person's ideas that have been put down are Sakurai's.

The excerpts from the interview with him were pretty interesting. Too many people around here have read Sirlin's Playing to Win, and are now pretty much stuck in that mindset, so much so that they don't realize that the community of competitive gamers is extremely small. The majority of people don't think the same way as competitive gamers, and the game is definitely tailored to them.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I don't think we would care as much if it wasn't so blatantly obvious that he deliberately tried to make this game bad for our crowd by cutting out anything he felt was "too good" in the game. There doesn't seem to have been much thought either, no consideration of, "Oh that's gay. But, then again, Melee developed its metagame over 7 years and here's a demo version that only 200+ people are getting to play, of whom only maybe 50 or so are actual hardcore pros anyways, so maybe there's more stuff that will balance this stuff." There was none of it. He actually tried to make this game suck for melee vets.

Edit: How the finished product turned out in terms of how great it is in competitive play speaks for itself. The "Watch the Grand Finals" rule proposition (even if it was a joke) speaks to how amazing it's turned out.

And what really bothers me is how incredibly stupid the decision to cut everything out was. The casual anti-tournament anti-tier list morons at E for All all got their kicks. No item switch, they got to Kamehameha with Mario and LOL about it, they got to pick up starmans at opportune moments and watch their opponent die from untimely bomb-omb spawns. They all had fun. Most of the competitive people also had fun.

I don't see why, if everyone's having fun, he'd feel compelled to change his game so drastically. If it's out of fear of casual players losing to tournament players then he needs to realize that in virtually any game, not just smash, victory tends to favour the better player. And that's an irrational fear anyways because the vast majority of casual players will never play a tournament player. And, being honest, his laggy Wifi system was never going to make it happen either.

Top Bottom