• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Melee Thread - Updated Summer 2016 Power Rankings!

qumbug

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I'm borrowing a friend's projector for a couple weeks, I was thinking of possibly hosting a smashfest at my apartment if enough people were interested? I've only got the projector and 1 gc, no tv. Lemme know if ya'll would be interested. I figure it'd be a good way to meet some of the smash community.

-qumbug

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm down for it, Qumbug. The only thing is the fact I don't have any TV for us, but I guess if we get a total of 4 people, it would be allright, and someone should be able to bring at least one TV...

qumbug

Smash Rookie
lol nah its kinda hard to explain. the "q" is pronounced in the back of your throat, like your were going to hock up some spit.

i live in the byward market. i have a pretty small apartment so i think it'd be hard to have more than 4 players anyways, but its not unimpossible if i could get a tv. i'll let you guys know for sure when i think of a date, i s'pose weekends would be best?

van: i'm not sure if i'll be entering the tournament, i'm planning a trip up north at the end of the month, but no fixed dates yet.

-qumbug

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Ottawa Melee Monthly III

About the Monthly

* A tournament regularly held in Ottawa at least once a month. The third monthly will include Singles, Doubles, and a Crew Battle.
* Entry fee is $3 for Singles, and $4 per team for Doubles.
* The Singles and Doubles events will be Double Elimination with regular sets being best of 3, and Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals, and Grand Finals being best of 5.
* For any questions or concerns, speak to one of the Tournament Organisesr BL!TZ or Cman (Charlesz on the boards).
* The Monthly will be held on July 3rd at BL!TZ's house. PM BL!TZ for the address.
* Registration in advance for Singles is mandatory. Please tell the Tournament Organiser whether you are interested in entering.
* Be sure to read the rules!

Schedule

11:30 am - House is open for friendlies and warm up.
2:00 pm - Doubles Event begins.
4:30 pm - Singles Event begins.
7:30 pm - Crew Battle begins
9:00 pm - House is closed.

Stage List

Starter Stages:

* Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
* Past Stages: Dream Land
* Special Stages: Final Destination
* Special Stages: Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stages:

* Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
* Planet Zebes: Brinstar
* Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
* Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules

* Items are set to off.
* Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
* Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
* The Tournament Organisers are the arbiter of all disputes.
* Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
* Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
* Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages.
* Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match with 1 stock. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
* Pausing during a match is not allowed and will result in a disqualification if deemed necessary by the opposing player and Tournament Organiser.
* Rage quitting will considered a loss of the match. It may result in the loss of the set if the initiating player chooses.
* Stalling will result in a disqualification at the discretion of the Tournament Organisers. For the purpose of this tournament, Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable.
* Wobbling is not banned. Wobbling past 250% will be considered stalling and will result in a disqualification.
* Ice Climbers' Handoff is not banned. Handoffs past 250% will be considered stalling and will result in a disqualification.

Counter Pick System

1. Blind Picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order. Order that the players strike in is decided by Rock Paper Scissors.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Notes

* Players are responsible for:

1. Being familiar with the rule set and stage list
2. Entrance fees
3. Arriving on time
4. Maintaining personal hygiene
5. Controllers and character knowledge
6. Not being late for their set. I don't even know how you would be, unless you leave for lunch in between sets.

* The Tournament Organisers can kick you out at any time from the tournament and the house, but you probably won't unless you're a douche.
* Don't be too slow when stage striking and counter picking. It should take 30 seconds maximum.
* In the event of a port disagreement, do a Rock Paper Scissors match. Winner decides who gets priority.
* For all Melee tournaments, use of the character Master Hand is banned.

Note: Rule set is taken from Melee Back Room. Some changes have been made.

Crew Battle Rules

TBA

Currently registered

* This is a current list of people who may be attending. Unconfirmed entrants will have an asterisk (*) beside their name.
* Registration for Singles is mandatory, it is not for Doubles. Teams for Crew Battles will be decided on the day of the Monthly.

Singles

1. Cman
2. Vanitas
3. BL!TZ
4. Florence
5. MEGA
6. Linkshot
7. SecretofMana
8. Wak
9. chlor0form

Doubles

1. Je Me Souviens (Cman + Wak)
2. El Chocolate Diablo (BL!TZ + Vanitas)
3. It's Not Easy Being Green (chlor0form + Linkshot)

Setups

BL!TZ - 2 TVs + 1 Gamecube + 1 Wii + 2 Memory Cards + 1 SSBM

We'll need more, lol.

Food

TBA

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
who wants to team with me for doubles
Should I confirm you for Singles?

im liking the turn up aleady :)

EDIT: would crew battles be the first event? How would prizes be distributed for crew battles or should we just do it for prides' sake? :p
I think crew battle should be first event. I think no entry fee for crew battle is best.

Wobbling is not banned this time.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I think crews should be held at the end, but that's just me. Go ahead and sign me up for the tourney, blitz. On that note, who wants to team with a yoshi?
I was thinking doing it first is because I find people are tired out after Singles. I know don't really want to play after the main event is over. Maybe after Doubles and before Singles would be alright. I'll wait for others to say what time they think would be good.

LOL @ these two comments

Chris, i think our team name should be Ken & Isai or whatever the hell their team name was lol
That's fine with me, lol.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well to be honest I think we're all a bit bad in doubles. Lots of people are bad in it. I actually know only two persons that were good at it out of everyone I met, and it was Fogel and TestRider.

We just need some more practice =).

Top Bottom