• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon PR! updated 10/17/2014

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I agree, but I didn't particularly mind the rematch. Oddly enough, I enjoy that mu a lot. We went so even in our brackets match it wasn't even funny. xD

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Brick you are considering tournaments already considered last update. Also lol @ me overhyping myself. I actually was inclined to put myself lower, and OTHERS solidly placed me at 4. Thanks for overhyping me guys!

:phone:

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
So you're saying we can't consider tournaments that were less than 3 months ago?

You still haven't addressed the point I made about it seeming like the only reason Ryan is so high is that he has attended more tournaments.

Also, I apologize for saying you were over hyping yourself. I guess I meant I thought people were over hyping you.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
You guys can leave me off this update. I know I can argue a good case for staying on because I've been to pretty much every event but I'd rather give up my spot so someone else can get on. It doesn't do me any good to stay on because I already got as high as I'll get last period and I'll still be able to tell people in Alaska I was 8th best in Oregon. :)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Hear hear!
Actually, I think CatPhysician should be on the PR at least until the update after he has moved away.

Binx

Smash Master
Hear hear!
Actually, I think CatPhysician should be on the PR at least until the update after he has moved away.
i agree for the most part but I think that he should have to tell both of the other players in alaska he cant be on their PR for 3 months ^_^

Binx said:
SW got 9th, I took a game off him in pools and was 1 stock away from taking the set.
i hope youre not actually using that as support for your pr spot lol. after those 2 low % 4 stocks i gave you in our mm at the last best bout i decided i didnt need to prove anything to you anymore so i didnt warm up a single match or try vs you lol

Binx

Smash Master
i hope youre not actually using that as support for your pr spot lol. after those 2 low % 4 stocks i gave you in our mm at the last best bout i decided i didnt need to prove anything to you anymore so i didnt warm up a single match or try vs you lol
T.T

I just thought I was doing better avoiding the shines

I knew you didn't warm up much if at all but I figured you'd be trying because of that at least =D

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
We should put Binx up on the PR based solely on his set vs Silent Wolf. That will teach Otto not to sandbag. :p

T.T

I just thought I was doing better avoiding the shines

I knew you didn't warm up much if at all but I figured you'd be trying because of that at least =D
like i said when you thought you would beat teddy next time. people often only play as hard as they need to. especially in pools lol.

i feel that if you worked on your grab combos you would be a much bigger threat. it seems like every time you grab you just go for a smash or something. mess around with dair/fair combos from dthrow. or wobbling, but thats gay lol. smashes are good as a mix up, esp with dair chain throw cuz foxes know they can DI away to get out of that

We should put Binx up on the PR based solely on his set vs Silent Wolf. That will teach Otto not to sandbag.
no it wont.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
i feel that if you worked on your grab combos you would be a much bigger threat. it seems like every time you grab you just go for a smash or something. mess around with dair/fair combos from dthrow. or wobbling, but thats gay lol. smashes are good as a mix up, esp with dair chain throw cuz foxes know they can DI away to get out of that
Quoted for truth Binx.

Binx

Smash Master
like i said when you thought you would beat teddy next time. people often only play as hard as they need to. especially in pools lol.

no it wont.
Lots of people di to escape the dthrow dair so I like to do the smash and go for the edgeguards, I have been mixing it in more but I was playing kinda ****ty for some reason so I figured I'd rather tech chase.

Also never thought i was going to beat teddy just thought I could do better vs him.

Binx

Smash Master
1) Eggz
2) Juce
3) Jonny
4) Foos
5) Binx
6) Ratking
7) Alien
8) ji*zard
9) Bird
10) Ryan or Brick it's a tough call for me, I play Ryan more so it's easier to side with him as 10, but just because I dont see brick play its hard to call, so I'll just have it default to whoever gets more points in the other lists.

This is my final list for this period, we are talking about taking the average between me foos' and allen's lists for this PR.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
How is Ji*zard on the PR? Let alone higher then Bird and I. What has he done to warrant that? Am I missing something huge?

Binx

Smash Master
I have more trouble with his Falco than I do with bird and I haven't played you, so if people say that bird is better than you that's where I base that. I don't have enough data to be more fair than that.

@ keeper he plays puff so hes prolly fine there.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
This PR discussion will be completely irrelevant in 3 weeks once Eugene ***** everyone at Big City Gamin' 3 :cool:
I'm pretty if we had a 10 v 10 crew battle corvallis vs. eugene, we'd win by like 8 stocks. And we only have 9 of our 10 players on PR here.

AKA we'd take a dump on your face ;)

Binx

Smash Master
IMO the best people play in portland, ****ard plays us more often therefor should be improving faster, I played Ji&zard with Falco Fox and ICs and Marth and other characters multiple times and I've played the rest of you very seldomly, but from my recent experience at manifest I felt like Ji*zard was better.

If you guys beat him at the next tournament I'll move you up in my list, not trying to be unfair, one of the reasons Allen is on the panel is so that he can give us insight on corvalis and hopefully eugene.

adechrist

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty if we had a 10 v 10 crew battle corvallis vs. eugene, we'd win by like 8 stocks. And we only have 9 of our 10 players on PR here.

AKA we'd take a dump on your face ;)
OH NO YOU DIDN"T!!! We would wreck you (I'm not even sure we have 10 people... lol) Our top 5 would beat your top 5. If we crew battle, 8 vs 8 is the most we could do.

Who's from Corvallis that's being considered for/on the PR? All I know is there's you and Alien. Is Bird from Corvallis?

Also, I will be money matching you if you're man enough ;)

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
I'm mad. But I said things I shouldn't have said.

Just sayin, people in Portland are hugely biased. Looking at the results, then there PR's can easily show that.

wqqqqwrt

Smash Cadet
Binx I honestly don't think you understand smash at all. I'm easily most improved since I started playing, and I've played in portland I think 3 times. It doesn't have to do with who you play with, it has to do with how you understand the game, and a ton of other things. I'm gonna mm you at the next Best Bout. I also vote that there are tournament results BACKING PR lists, instead of just opinion. I mean COME ON. There is literally no reason at all Jiz*ard should be on PR.
There are also a ton of reasons Bird, Allen, and I should be on PR.
Top 5 in corvallis is

Bird, Allen, Me. Any order
Kazuki
Panda
I think this is a good thought, but PR placement should be weighted heavily by opinion. Well as long as double elim is standard and players are reasonable. Double elim gives really random results for the players that aren't in the top 4, and even for them sometimes. It would require tons of samples to get an accurate measure of every players relative skill. IMO if the bracket was designed to be more accurate or reflect player skill level to a more in-depth level, tournament results should be very important, but as it stands I'm not convinced they are that important.
but hey don't take this the wrong way. Im in support of your claims so far and you make a good argument to be on the PR
Also Adam is not lying, Eugene is going to redefine the Oregon power rankings

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I agree that tournament results CAN be random. But if EVERY single time its repeated? No, its no longer random. Its proof one way or another.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
It doesn't matter if the tournament uses Double Elim (or Single Elim or whatever) because the panelists for the PR should be looking at individual matches, not overall ranking.

If, for instance, you were to try to determine how Nolan was to be ranked you wouldn't base it off of what place he got in the tournament, you would look at his wins in the tournament. For further detail you could reference those wins with how the games were played out (e.g. if the win was due to a DQ you might not count it, but if Nolan gets a legit win vs three PR ranked players all in one tournament it should definitely be taken into account).

This is why I support a performance-based PR. No PR will be one-hundred percent accurate, but a performance-based PR will at least acknowledge a player for their wins and will further motivate players to attend tournaments.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Brick, speaking as a person who's been in both the corvallis and portland scenes, portland is in general better than corvallis. To be fair, I only have a limited knowledge of how much you guys have improved since I haven't gone down to visit you that much (but I will be on monday. smashfest?). Also, from what I can tell, people aren't putting Bird on pr is because of his lack of tournament results, like what you're trying to argue. And I think that ryan has a better mindset about playing jigglypuff than you do. You're much more reckless than he is.

I don't think eugene would do any better on the pr than corvallis does. [/uneducated opinion]

adechrist

Smash Cadet
It seems like eveyone agrees that Eggz, Jonny, Juce, Ratking, FoosJr, and Binx deserve the top 6 spots. So ignoring those and only looking at the 7-10 spots, and looking at the tournament results that Brick posted. It looks like it should be

7) Brick: beat Ratking, Cat, and Ryan
8) Ryan: beat Cat and Bird
9) Cat: beat Bird
10) Bird: beat Alien

I don't how good these players are. I've only played cat. This is just going off of tournament results.

Doing a PR list by how good you think someone can play is aweful. That's not accurate at all and is easily manipulated by bias. Which there seems to be a lot of in Portland. I'm not saying this is bad. I'm really biased towards Eugene. But people should be aware of bias and consider that when thinking about the PR. This is also why the PR should be based on who you beat in tournaments and money matches. Bias can't effect the outcome of these games.

As for not enough tournment showings. This is unfair. It costs $50 to drive to Portland and back from Eugene. Plus it takes up the whole weekend. I'm sure Corvallis has similar problems. Just because Corvallis and Eugene players don't show up all that often to Portland tournaments, shouldn't destroy their eligibility for being on the PR.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
This PR discussion will be completely irrelevant in 3 weeks once Eugene ***** everyone at Big City Gamin' 3 :cool:
You're lucky im not coming to the next BCG. Seriously. You guys from Eugene BETTER be able to back up your self hype or else everyones gonna think you're a joke.

WTF how am I not on most improved?
/mad

My list.

1. Eggz
2. Zelgadis
3. Foos
4. Juce
5. Jonny
Top 5. Thats easy. Honestly anyone who thinks otherwise is full of themselves and/or delusional
6. Ratking
7. Binx
8. Bird
9. Alien
10. Brick (me)
Dude how did you put me under Foos and Juce when at worst I go even with them? My tourney results are DEF better so I have **** to back up my talk. Also im the only one besdies Juce to beat Zelgadis in bracket. Why would he be like 2 spots ahead of me?

I havent had internet in like a week or else I would have commented WAY more in here. When is this list gonna change? Its been almost 3 weeks since Manifest. Get on it.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
On that list, I meant to say top 5 could be switched around. But I missed that. Looking at results, yeah you def deserve to be higher.

Top Bottom