• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Empire Games Tournament 2

Binx

Smash Master
I was having a really bad smash day at OSU, I was kind of sleep deprived and my timing was really off. I did improve since OSU though, I played alot that weekend got some rest and it helped tremendously that I wasn't hungry or tired at the empire tourney.

cmin

Smash Ace
kame- it was nice playing friendly's with you for like an hour straight lol your fox is great, just avoid the SD's .. they'll get ya lol.

ratking- definnately play more this summer. i wont be in corvallis though, i'll be back in portland and i think chris is going back to beaverton so maybe we can all gather up at
aftermath's house or something and have a Tang

binx - you live next door to me

mangler - gg's man you clutched it against me haha

master of chu - pikachu...thats just crazy talk

FTV

Smash Rookie
Hey people. I'm the "Starcraft guy"'s friend. Name is Frank and in games I usually go by FTV which is basically my first and last initials with a V denoting I'm the fifth. I went ahead and registered on here. Dunno if my friend is going to or not. His name is Matt by the way. He's pretty cool. So the only tournaments my friend and I had ever been to were at the last three Penny Arcade Expos and we figured those were exceptionally high level so we weren't surprised when we got killed there every year. Boy were we shocked to find so much skill at a small tournament. We hadn't really been on the boards much so we had no idea how pervasive high level play was. So thanks for the school lesson guys. :laugh: Guess I'll have to really study and practice if I wanna keep up these days. But I had a real good time and you were all really cool. I plan on coming back to all the next local tournaments I can make it to and I'll be bringing more of my crew. We've all been playing on and off (more off than on sadly) since Melee's release and some of us (like myself) since the release of SB64. But none of us have really studied the real advanced stuff besides shield grabbing and teching so we will need a lot of schooling. Let's see, expect to see next time:
FTV - Me - Fox
Team (Spelled with some random misused katakana characters) / Whitey - Matt - Shiek
Doc. / Crisco - Chris K. - Dr. Mario
TTT - Tyler (my brother) - Peach
Seph - Austen - Marth
Neph / Grande - Chris D. - Marth
and maybe even Dr. No - Robert - Ganondorf.

Riot6777

Smash Ace
Thank Everyone for coming out! ^,^

I am also glad to hear you guys enjoyed it I want to use Empire games for a smash tournament every 3rd Saturday of every month :)

Ratking- I am glad to hear you liked the location and yes James and I talked during the first Empire games tournament about making that place like the "Oregon Game Clucks"

Keith and James- Thank both of you guys for taking my place and running the tournament for me while I was in Seattle Raving

As for everyone else I will make it to the 3rd Empire games tournament but I just had to go to that last rave lol long story I will tell you if you want to know one day. But I would love to fight all of you next tournament and see how I rank lol

Speaking of ~RANK~
1st. Aftermath
2nd.Jesse
3rd.Ratking
4th.Keith

Sorry but that's all Keiths dumb A$$ told me so I can't put the rest but the 3rd smash tournament will be even better ^.^

Aftermath

Smash Champion
David, make sure the guy only takes 20% or less, your 40% was too steep. I think Ratking, Jesse, and I will try to handle a lot of the dates and stuff, which we'll pass to you, but for now plan to hold on the 3rd Saturday of June and ditto for July.

Once you get that settled out, PM me or call me or something and I'll start the thread for it. Make sure to tell the guy that we'd like to be able to be in there by noon, to allow a bit of time for warmups and signups and be able to start by 1 PM or 12:30.

FTV - I actually went to the Penny Arcade Expo last year and one with Deus. Out of the 400 or so registered, only about 15 people showed up that were good. If you guys do want to be taught just keep showing up to these or any others and since everyone is pretty nice, you'll pick up on things pretty quick and improve quite a bit. A lot of it isn't the technical part (advanced tehcniques), but just regularly playing people better than yourself that makes you get better the fastest.

So for Matt, who didn't really want to put a lot of time in gaming, it's really about how you practice, rather than how long you practice.

Binx

Smash Master
David, make sure the guy only takes 20% or less, your 40% was too steep. I think Ratking, Jesse, and I will try to handle a lot of the dates and stuff, which we'll pass to you, but for now plan to hold on the 3rd Saturday of June and ditto for July.

Once you get that settled out, PM me or call me or something and I'll start the thread for it. Make sure to tell the guy that we'd like to be able to be in there by noon, to allow a bit of time for warmups and signups and be able to start by 1 PM or 12:30.

FTV - I actually went to the Penny Arcade Expo last year and one with Deus. Out of the 400 or so registered, only about 15 people showed up that were good. If you guys do want to be taught just keep showing up to these or any others and since everyone is pretty nice, you'll pick up on things pretty quick and improve quite a bit. A lot of it isn't the technical part (advanced tehcniques), but just regularly playing people better than yourself that makes you get better the fastest.

So for Matt, who didn't really want to put a lot of time in gaming, it's really about how you practice, rather than how long you practice.
For sure you just need to play people better than yourself, it also helps to have someone your level also playing people better than themselfs and the two of you practicing together.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Yeah, it is. David, not the 3rd weekend of July, unless you're guaranteed to be there and run it, because I won't be.

Riot6777

Smash Ace
Yeah, it is. David, not the 3rd weekend of July, unless you're guaranteed to be there and run it, because I won't be.
I will be there to run it. I just couldn't last time because my rave was far to important to just pass up.

As for the 3rd Saturday of every month this is what I have worked out with the Empire Games guy and as for the house cut it's $2 out of every person I think if people want a normal tournament they should come and bring $7 to enter there for the pot stays normal or $10 to enter I have income now so I don't have a problem making $10 to enter.

But the guy at Empire Games says he wishes for that house cut of 2$ per person and he lets me use his whole shop. It's a small price to pay for a nice location.

All I am just trying to say is that you have to spend a little money to make a little money the Empire games tournaments have to be on the 3rd Saturday of every month I am making flyers for it and going to major public areas trying to get more randoms to show up at the tournaments which means I am going to notices boards, collage campuses, Schools, and other game stores.

The idea I have built and worked on will be even greater but I need everyone to agree and try and help me with all of this so we can have are own "game clucks" so Oregon can come together and prove that Washington and Cali are not the best in the west lets get Oregon to have a good crew.

Just like Kyle said we will be able to start alot more things over the summer and with Empire games at are disposal this should be easier than we think.

So this is now open for people to talk about give me some ideas how can we improve everything but still keep the Empire games guy happy?

Binx

Smash Master
10 is too much for me, I could live with 7 but 5 would get alot more people to show up, He should just take 10% of whatever the entry is, but I think it should be 5 dollars, its a big enough store that once more people started showing he would get a decent ammount at 10%, like you said you have to spend money to make money, and that should be the responsability of the shop not the players, Especially since he isn't running the tournament.

EDIT: as am afterthought if the price goes up to 7 or 10 dollars then you should pay more places to make up for it, seeing as how the same people are going to be winning, it makes the rest of the people more likely to show up having a chance to win back entry fees or maybe even get a small prize themselves.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
I just love this whole plan. My crew and I will most likely be able to show up for a lot of these since it is in Portland. Yay!!! I will try to help anyway I can I don't really know a lot about tournaments so I am not really useful haha but yeah I will try.

Riot6777

Smash Ace
I talked to the empire games guy and he has told me that he wants to take nothing out of the pot and it will be fine he also told me if he does take anything out it will be a little amount.

This tournament spot is turning out to be better than I thought I hope all of you come to my tournament in the future we will have a big thing going down hell yeah OREGON!!!!

Riot6777

Smash Ace
Yeah the set price for this next tournament Oregon Empire Games 3 will be $10 but that is only if I have Washington agree to come down and play because I have to make it worth there trip over her and if anyone from Oregon has played them like I have they will understand that $10 is a small price to pay to play such great smash players.

I am going to post Oregon Empire Games 3 tournament tomorrow so look for the post with my name on it and start to comment.

Who is willing to help me out a little?

T.V's?

Cubes?

Wii's?

Copies Of Smash?

Memory Cards?

Fold Out Tables?

Can I get some set ups?

I don't need any of this but it would help to have that's all I am saying it would just make the tournament run faster.

:laugh: :psycho: :laugh: :psycho: :laugh: :psycho: :laugh: :psycho: :laugh: :psycho: :laugh:

FTV

Smash Rookie
I'd suggest keeping entry at $5.00 to draw more players. I know some of my crew would be turned off by a $10.00 fee but $5.00 is easy. As for the players in Washington, with enough people paying $5.00 it should be plenty. In fact, at $10.00 you may turn away more players and end up with a lower total pot.

Riot6777

Smash Ace
I will have to discuss with with many other people because as I see it Washington are top notch they are pretty much the best when it comes to the west coast. Have you ever played any of Washington FTV? I am just wondering. But like I said if washington tell me that they are not coming then I will put the fee back at $5

I guess I will have a group vote I want people to tell me what they would like more A $5 tournament? Or a $10 tournament?

Top Bottom