• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

online pet peeves

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I seriously can't stand dash attack spammers. It's literally all I see.

Also people that are super cheap (spamming moves/projectiles), and when they kill you they taunt all over the place as if they accomplished something.
So beating you isn't an accomplishment?

VileFC3S

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KookiDowgRX-7
I hate playing against Links always spamming their bombs and arrows. I beat them of course, but it's still frustrating...
Yeah, same here. But I can't blame them honestly because his strong point is to keep up with a good zoning strategy that Link is offered.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Why are you getting hit by it so much?

Even spam heavy characters use more than one move the whole match.
Because roll dodges are not very punishable in this game. The mindset of most people I face is attack -> roll dodge > same attack > roll dodge > same attack > roll dodge, rinse and repeat.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Because roll dodges are not very punishable in this game. The mindset of most people I face is attack -> roll dodge > same attack > roll dodge > same attack > roll dodge, rinse and repeat.
Short hop the "same attack" or punish the roll dodge. Even with what you said, if it's the exact same move, you shouldn't really lose to this.

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
  1. I have yet to run into one Kirby that doesn't constantly fly up and turn into a rock. Wouldn't be so bad if the other players would actually do something about it instead of attacking the one guy actually trying to counter it.
  2. Same could be said of Bowsers, but at least some of them have the decency to spam forward smashes too.
  3. And Yoshis.
  4. Ness players that just spam PK Thunder and PK Fire.
  5. People who get lucky and get 3 KOs at once and then spend the rest of the match running. Bonus points if it's a Shulk that immediately switches to Jump mode.
  6. In fact, people who just run the entire time.
  7. People who leave the room the moment they lose once.
  8. When you're playing with a really good group, and one person leaves and the player that replaces them brings a ton of lag and basically does all of the above. That has ended my play sessions so many times...

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
  1. I have yet to run into one Kirby that doesn't constantly fly up and turn into a rock. Wouldn't be so bad if the other players would actually do something about it instead of attacking the one guy actually trying to counter it.
  2. Same could be said of Bowsers, but at least some of them have the decency to spam forward smashes too.
  3. And Yoshis.
  4. Ness players that just spam PK Thunder and PK Fire.
  5. People who get lucky and get 3 KOs at once and then spend the rest of the match running. Bonus points if it's a Shulk that immediately switches to Jump mode.
  6. In fact, people who just run the entire time.
  7. People who leave the room the moment they lose once.
  8. When you're playing with a really good group, and one person leaves and the player that replaces them brings a ton of lag and basically does all of the above. That has ended my play sessions so many times...
I'm ashamed to be a Kirby main now. I only use Stone to return to the stage quickly... Also, this is why I refuse to even play Time matches. 4 games and they still haven't figured out that even casual players prefer stock as the standard game mode. It's why I got burnt out on the demo after one session and just played other Smash games til 4 released!

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
My pet peeve is when players refuse to adapt, or view anything which demands change of them with contempt. Just like the premise of this thread.
ADAPT
Edit: well, besides lag. Ain't no adapting to that. It's like tripping.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Short hop the "same attack" or punish the roll dodge. Even with what you said, if it's the exact same move, you shouldn't really lose to this.
I understand where you're coming from.

Just please don't turn this into a "don't lose to ____" because I'm not perfect at Smash, so it's inevitable that I'll get hit by a good amount of it. I was only listing spammers as a pet peeve, wasn't really looking for someone to criticize me as you have.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
it's people like this
who make me wish we could see more than just Mac online

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Personally, I kinda hate :rosalina:. The only thing they do is launching the Luma (and it's fun to reflect it) and dashing. When they understand that you can shield their dash, it's grab, grab, grab...

Oh, and :4littlemac:. Dash attack, back roll, dash attack, back roll, forward smash...

This isn't really entertaining, and I feel like I also have to spam, as I have to counter the same moves again and again.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Personally, I kinda hate :rosalina:. The only thing they do is launching the Luma (and it's fun to reflect it) and dashing. When they understand that you can shield their dash, it's grab, grab, grab...

Oh, and :4littlemac:. Dash attack, back roll, dash attack, back roll, forward smash...

This isn't really entertaining, and I feel like I also have to spam, as I have to counter the same moves again and again.
see my latest posts. they will ease the pain haha.
maybe you can join in with the meteor smash fest against bad Macs

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
see my latest posts. they will ease the pain haha.
maybe you can join in with the meteor smash fest against bad Macs
Oh, don't worry, I learned how to deal with Little Mac (Palutena's F-Tilt is fun against a Little Mac trying to get back on stage :troll:)

The fact is, is neither entertaining or interesting.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Sorry ;w;

It's a habit from the days when I used to play brawl with friends
I agree, sometimes it slips when I don't mean to.
Oh, don't worry, I learned how to deal with Little Mac (Palutena's F-Tilt is fun against a Little Mac trying to get back on stage :troll:)

The fact is, is neither entertaining or interesting.
I just try to enjoy making them feel like crap as they can't pummel me easily.
Mac users are high on power. high on the fact they get to defeat people so easily. when you throw a monkey wrench in their plans and gimp them with low damage. that players gets VERY mad hahaha

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I just try to enjoy making them feel like crap as they can't pummel me easily.
Mac users are high on power. high on the fact they get to defeat people so easily. when you throw a monkey wrench in their plans and gimp them with low damage. that players gets VERY mad hahaha
Sometimes, you can feel their stress. The fact that nothing goes with their plan.
And that's a pretty good feeling.

About taunts... As a Zelda player, side taunt isn't really taunting, so that good. But Down-taunt... :troll:

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
Lag/Input Lag
When people beat me once and then leave
When I beat a bad player fairly easily, they rematch and win because I'm bad too and leave
When :4shulk:is really feeling it and constantly counters
When someone beats me and then switch to a bad char like :4ganondorf: (imo) and beat me with him like they're mocking me

:4kirby:s that spam Down B
When I taunt because I don't take taunting as seriously as others and the other player seems to get :salt:y and tryhards
When I try to Up B and accidentally do a Side B (See: BNF)
"Hey I'm playing :4pacman:. Dude look! I have a Down B! Check this out xDDD"
"He took one of my stocks! I'm just going to move around and barely do anything for the rest of the match"
When I have a win rate of 26.66% because terribad:salt::salt::salt:
Fool what you talking 'bout? :4ganondorf:is a good character in the right hands. I play as him from time to time and basically have my Captain Falcon play-style set at a slower speed. Although I agree with everything else you said. :4kirby: down b is extremely annoying when spammed, but not as annoying as :4littlemac:side b spam or :4ness:PK Fire spam in my opinion.

QuantumKiller

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShreckIsDreck
3DS FC
1435-5574-6890
I hate Ness spammers with a passion. I don't know how many games I've gone into against a Ness who just rolls to the other side of the stage and spams specials. Also falcons that just falcon kick on the ground all the time expecting you to rack up damage are annoying but they're really easy to predict. Also.... lag.

Sybronx

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1392-6718-2632
I hardly see any others Macs lately, which sucks because I love a good Mac ditto. Been seeing a ton of Ness players though.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
...:ohwell:...I can't tell if you know I just used Oil Panic the whole time because my opponent was a dumb***.
What is this "Oil Panic" you speak of? We're talkin' 'bout good ol' aura-ball, ol' chap. What a game that was, I dare tell you. The Lucarios had no chance, I say, had no chance against our finest Game & Watches. :p

This little emoticon: :p, is a dead giveaway. Dead giveaway... Deeeead giveaway.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
Ugh Captain Falcon players who just roll spam + side b. SO ANNOYING

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
The input lag and just lag in general is terrible. That's what mainly ruins my online experience.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Little Mac going from B-tier to S-tier because of lag. I know 99% of Mac's are bad, but even just the mediocre players can be an issue. If they know not to spam specials, then you need to be frame-perfect on EVERY punish. His rolls are the best in the game. Considering lag makes almost ANY roll safe, Mac's roll is suddenly a viable movement option. Rolling to move around the stage is gross. Side-tilt is easily the safest kill move in the game. Add lag to that, and you have a near-unpunishable attack. Jab is a free 18% most of the time. And then that frame 1 KO punch. I rarely get hit by it, but it's just too free in lag. Miss an auto-cancel? Boom. Blocking a jab? Boom. Whiff ANYTHING? Boom. If that Mac knows what they're doing, it's a nightmare in lag.

Last edited:

RosalinaSama

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ROSA#211
NNID
Fracktail
3DS FC
2492-4324-7138
Switch FC
SW-1139-8011-8725
Bowsers who clearly did not play Bowser in any previous game and just run at you and constantly try to get a flying slam in even when theyre at a higher percent than you

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
Definitely agree with this! I find that a rather large amount of the popular characters currently being played have some form of counter move (:4shulk:, :4greninja:, :4lucina:, etc). Plus, it seems like counter frames last so long!

Also, like most other people the lag tends to be awful. It is really disappointing that you can't restrict searching for opponents to region-based. Maybe I only want to play with people who are East Coast because I know that my ping will be way less than if I play vs West Coast players. Or even larger scale, just NA queuing instead of playing vs people from the UK / Japan.

Thirdly, I am disappointed about the For Glory system and how it matches you against opponents. The system should have a view-able MMR system (exactly like how Chess MMR works). The way I originally envisioned For Glory mode working is that you would select your character and wait in the practice zone until an opponent was found. You would play 1 game, gain MMR with a win, or lose MMR with a loss, then you could either quit or rejoin the queue and be placed back into the match-making system.
This is a really good idea.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I'm starting to see it now. A lot of the "bad" Little Macs are those same people from the heyday of Brawl that would just spam F-smash with Ike and take advantage of the lag to get that to work consistently. Lol

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
The things I hate the most are switchers, stop ****ing switching and let me beat your ass. How can I have time to learn how they play if they keep switching? If they're better than me, which is very rare. And then people who roll like hell or just stands around waiting or shooting projectiles. A lot of cowards online, hate that. I'd rather lose than be an annoying coward playing like an asshole.

And of course all sorts of lag, and when the controls don't listen. Or when I just mess up and the player thinks he's better than me. Otherwise, no problem.

Last edited:

joetherocker

Smash Apprentice
The things I hate the most are switchers, stop ****ing switching and let me beat your ***.
I have taken your request into consideration and after careful analysis have concluded that letting you kick my *** is not in my best interests and the switching will continue. Sorry.

Desperate Bowser switches are either fun or irritating depending on whether or not the opponent gets lucky enough to KO at like 50% due to a screwup or something.

GoldWindRequiem

Smash Cadet
NNID
RicochetRocket
People who go :4littlemac:after I beat their main and begin to spam f-smash and rolls. For god's sake, cut that **** out.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
As a For Glory: Team player there is nothing i detest most than partners that keep killing themselves or spamming that one move that gets them constantly countered and killed.

You know, the typical partner that 30 seconds in is two stocks down?

Do not get me wrong, we ALL have bad games, i myself have accidentally misclicked and dropped to my death a few times thanks to the new controls and we can all be simply matched with enemy players that use characters we play poorly against and we are unable to contribute much to that one fight.....

But you know what i am talking about, right?

Charizards that dash into a pitfall, warios that think they are Jeeg Robot and jump off their bycicles to their deaths over and over and over again.

To add salt to injury , by murphy´s law this usually always happens in the games you are devastating, making your effort useless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom