• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

online pet peeves

Kekezo

Smash Cadet
Most annoying is lag. I can't stand it half of the time. My moves are all slightly delayed and it stops me from using doing combos and blocking attacks reflexively.

I really hate when people play campy or extremely defensive. Standing around and waiting for me to come to them so they can spam shield+dodge or counter. I also mean running away and spamming projectiles.

Also people who play Duck Hunt, which kind of ties into the first one.

I don't care about Little Mac. I still have yet to lose to him despite playing some 130+ games, a lot of them against Little Mac.

The Joj

Smash Rookie
NNID
YouWantTheJoj
The lag I get makes my game literally unplayable. There's always at least a second delay for every input that I try to use. I'm really disappointed; online was one of the reasons I was so excited for Smash 4. I'm probably not going to be playing online again anytime soon.

The Original Zeph

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ryanime
3DS FC
0516-7265-4386
i despise little macs. not because i cant beat them, i generally stomp them as megaman, but because theyre annoying as hell to face. His no-brainer moves are sooooo easy to land you dont need any skill whatsoever to use the guy, so you can get KO'd immediately after this ******* dove off the platform because he managed to connect the combo (or more accurately, you misread and walked into it)

Also Megaman kinda has to spam, its what he does. He cant spam any given ability though so he has to add variety. He has no legitimate combo, so he resorts to poke damage till he can finish you.
All except his charge shot is countered by EVERYTHING including other projectiles. My hardest games are usually against Duck Hunt or other projectile users because theirs wipes mine off the board and keeps coming at me.
I'm a Rob main so I feel i'm in a similar situation as you the best way to deal with little mac is to camp him out and force him to approach then if you can manage to throw him off stage and hit him once chances are he wont make it back because his recovery is garbage, hope this helps.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
Lag has never been a big problem for me. It's only bad 3% of time, so I don't care that much. Your connection is usually important, so people that have bad lag might want to check their connection out.

Only thing that bothers me is seeing Little Mac almost every other match. He's not hard to counter or anything, I'm just tired of seeing him and want some variety.

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
Definitely agree with this! I find that a rather large amount of the popular

Thirdly, I am disappointed about the For Glory system and how it matches you against opponents. The system should have a view-able MMR system (exactly like how Chess MMR works). The way I originally envisioned For Glory mode working is that you would select your character and wait in the practice zone until an opponent was found. You would play 1 game, gain MMR with a win, or lose MMR with a lose, then you could either quit or rejoin the queue and be placed back into the match-making making system.
I was hoping for a ranking/point system like Mario Kart 8 where you gained points for winning and lost them for losing. this way you are playing opponents around the same skill level of a consistent basis. Definitely gives you an idea on how you are improving or what your general skill level is too compared to other players.

Aye!

Smash Rookie
Teams is a Time Battle instead of Stock. I love teams so much, so it broke my heart when I found out.

The Original Zeph

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ryanime
3DS FC
0516-7265-4386
-Links and Toon Links who always use their down aerial meteor smash. How many times does it take them to realise how predictable they're being?

-Bowsers who spam their down aerial. The exact same story as Link/Toon Link.

-Lucina players who only use their counters.

-People who spam projectiles even when I knock back every one of them with Pit's Orbitars. Actually, that makes it easier for me, so by all means go ahead and keep doing that :)

-People who roll constantly. Still trying to figure out how to counter that properly :/

-Rosalina players who have heard that the character is good but have absolutely no idea how to play as her. I mean, get a feel of her moves in solo mode and then by all means play online no matter how many times you get destroyed. Learn from your experience, but please know your moves first!

Edit!
- Captain Falcon players who spam their falcon kick move. Again, gets very old very fast.

- I've mentioned that Toon Link/Link and Bowser players tend to spam their down aerials way too much, but after playing a few more matches, it's the same for basically everyone! Especially Ganondorf it seems.
I also think Rolling is way too safe in this game. There's really no risk at all from rolling constantly and even down smashing doesn't seem to help because of all the active invincibility frames.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Its crazy because when I play Japanese players it runs smooth as butter though there is input delay
but when I'm playing people with English names its like I'm watching a slide show.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
- The fact that 1/3 of people who frequent the For Glory lobby use Little Mac, even though he's not very good
- People who lag so badly that they're used to their bad connection and end up destroying you
- Projectile abuse (Robin, Rosalina, and Wii Fit Trainer are the worst)
- Accidentally doing my side special when I'm trying to recover
- 4-player matches are borderline unplayable because everybody just spams their attacks like morons
- Zero Suit Samus

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
When I'm online having an epic battle. Fellin fine but I lose. I feel like I can go again and correct some mistakes but then they quit and I just get pissed.

SSNC Luck

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-4300-0348
Not much, love it. Lag can be annoying but it doesn't happen frequently, Little mac's being prevalent but I've run into like one good one? You know what, the fact that 4 player smash and team battles are timed in For Glory and not stock annoys me. Also why couldn't we have a stage list where we tick on and off what we want to fight on in for glory so I can play stages like Yoshi's Brawl and Battlefield, FD every single match stinks.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
People who spam counter moves.
Yeah this sucks. The worst part is, they know you'll start trying to grab them so they bait and punish that too. Counter spammers are very difficult and annoying when playing as a character without a projectile, from my experience.
Actually speaking of, pretty much everything is my pet peeve when playing Lucina. Rolls are hard to punish, lag messes up my spacing, ZSS/Palutena/Rosalina/DuckHuntDuo/whatever walls her out pretty hard by playing the camp game, etc.
In general, it's the lag. And those pesky Japanese players that are insanely good and usually if not always play as Yoshi and/or Greninja
Edit: Oh yeah I almost forgot. BOWSER JR PLAYERS. All they do is spam dash attack which I just OoS punish over and over. I hate it because they just don't learn.

Last edited:

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
-People who roll constantly. Still trying to figure out how to counter that properly :/
I'll admit... I roll a lot. Mainly because I tend to play very aggressively and try not to give my opponent any breathing room, so I roll behind them to get some hits in... I'm not rolling nearly as much as I did in past Smash games... So that's a plus.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Little Macs who can ONLY KO WITH THE INSTANT KO.

Shulks who spam BACK SLASH!!!!!!

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
Players who win a close game, but then switch to someone else in the next game. Clearly they've never actually played Smash...
I switched after every match, regardless of how the match plays out. I get kinda bored if I use one character for too long. Is that a bad thing?

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
I dont understand why people immediately bail on the game if they lose a match. If you want to get better, you have to face people who are better than you. Most of my games are even matches, with one of us losing by a hair, but sometimes i face someone that just utterly kicks my butt. I dont leave when i find someone like that, i keep playing against them until i win. Probably why my winrate skyrocketed lately (im at ~60% and i was at 30% a couple days ago) because i brawled against this Greninja for a good HOUR until he left. Never did beat him but i started to get REAAALLY close, and the first 10 matches were him 2stocking me in a heartbeat lol so quite the improvement imo.

I got off work tonight and jumped on For Glory. Ten matches, ten different people because right after i won (even a neck to neck fight) they bail. Dafuq people?

D

Deleted member

The most annoying thing I ran into was tonight. My opponent seemed like they had no other attacks, and just kept spamming roll until they got behind me and grabbed. The only way i was able to counter him was by literally not moving and just trying to predict where he was going.

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Lag thankfully is nowhere near as bad as Brawl's was. Still, it's annoying when you play a 4 player free for all and the game takes forever to register what is happening due to that one guy having a **** internet connection!

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I wonder this same thing. I use Greninja 98% of the time and after destroying the opponent who is using what looks to be their main, they decide it's a good idea to go Greninja as well (a character they 9/10 times suck at using) and get stomped once again. That mindset never makes sense to me. You can't spite someone by using a character they use and just losing anyway.
Exactly, all it does is give me a free win, or a rage-induced disconnect.

Last edited:

DiamondDust

Prime Time Player
NNID
MaysTheCraze
Two Words: Duck Hunt

For me at least though, there's usually only a slight delay, but it's sometimes enough that my shield doesn't come out when I know it would've offline. Other than that, I've been pretty much bopping everyone I run into online.

Also, screw Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
"WHAT CAN YOU DO IN THE AIR WHEN I'M JUGGLING YOU, LITTLE MAC?

HOW ARE YOU SO "OP" WHEN EVERYONE AND THEIR GRANDMOTHER KNOWS HOW TO COUNTER YOU!?"

-CryoGX, 2014

Okay, okay, seriously, Little Mac is pretty easy to counter (I main Sonic, mind you) and I've only seen like one or two actually good ones (who put up a serious fight, possibly implying that they actually want to use him.)

Aside from that, I don't like:

-Framerate lag (seriously, it feels like a party where it's like "Who invited that guy?", but I do understand that some can't help it and they are just here for a good time like everyone else)

-INPUT LAG: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH The controls were already a bit iffy to begin with, input lag just makes it harder, although I'm getting used to predicting around it, so it's not as much of an issue anymore. I can't seem to avoid this no matter what, though.

-Atrocious Lag: Lag to the point where it's constantly reloading your position and makes you want the game to just say "An error has occurred" because the match has taken like 15 minutes to simply do 30 seconds of playtime.

-Counter-spamming

-A team of Little Macs (well it's generally randomized, but still)

TL;DR: Lag 'n Little Macs

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge -> dash attack -> Roll dodge

Also users who think they're so cool for spamming projectiles.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
New online pet peeve as of right now. Guy sticks around for like 6 matches of just getting stomped on by my Falcon, switched to Bowser Junior, beats me once spamming cannon balls and leaves the match on his high horse.....

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
New online pet peeve as of right now. Guy sticks around for like 6 matches of just getting stomped on by my Falcon, switched to Bowser Junior, beats me once spamming cannon balls and leaves the match on his high horse.....
I know how you feel. I get over it eventually though as I'm the one who walks away with the most wins. In my eyes, the last win proves nothing. If the person leaves after winning once after about 5 times, means that they know they'll get their ass kicked if they stay.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
I know how you feel. I get over it eventually though as I'm the one who walks away with the most wins. In my eyes, the last win proves nothing. If the person leaves after winning once after about 5 times, means that they know they'll get their *** kicked if they stay.
Its just such an immediate bother to me hahah I'm usually over it by the time the next person shows up, but man.....Gets under my skin. In my mind, its the person playing beside me, losing a bunch, then ripping their controller out of the GC and walking away with their arms up after one KO. Ugh hahaha

DadPalindrome

Smash Cadet
NNID
DadPalindrome
3DS FC
3780-9241-3996
Probably all the scrub Macs who honestly don't know how to use him properly.

It just gives him (and actual Mac players) a bad rep and makes people think he's a bad character.

Now I know how Brawl Ike players felt.

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
My only complaint about Smash 3DS is 4 glory mode. I go online and face a really good player that brings me to my limit and I have good matches against the player, but when the matches are over, that's it. There is no way for me to face that player again due to the thousands of players that are online. Nintendo should have implemented a way for you to add the players you face in 4 glory mode to your friend list so you can play them again. There was an option like this for online play for Pokemon Battle Revolution. That's pretty much my only beef wih Smash 3DS. Other than that, I have no issues with this game at all.

Generally just input lag. Usually 1-on-1 matches aren't unplayable, but they always have just enough lag to throw me off at crucial moments. Most 4-player matches are basically slideshows, so I just embrace the lag, play someone with good range, and hope for the best.

I got off work tonight and jumped on For Glory. Ten matches, ten different people because right after i won (even a neck to neck fight) they bail. Dafuq people?
Sometimes I stick around when I have extremely close battles, but for the most part I have to put my 3DS down after a match, even if I win. It's too much for my poor heart to handle.

Hoser

Smash Ace
Probably all the scrub Macs who honestly don't know how to use him properly.

It just gives him (and actual Mac players) a bad rep and makes people think he's a bad character.

Now I know how Brawl Ike players felt.
That's funny, I made the same exact comparison to my friend earlier today (I did main Ike in Brawl)

I don't mind having to fight bad little macs. Not because it pads my stats, but because I can practice the timing of a new technique I've been toying around with, and they'll never change what they're doing.

But what does annoy me, is people leaving after one match, or when people taunt after I accidentally suicide (again,Ike main. I tend to Over-B instead of Up-B like once a match. The circle pad just doesn't feel right to me).

Also, I don't hate this, but I'm super salty about it: Great Sonic players are way too good at everything they do. His combo strings in this game are intense, and his spin attack has stupid priority. I've fought plenty of really good players so far, but only great sonic players are impossible for me to defeat after a few matches.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Yea the accidental suicide makes me wish For Glory had 3 stock, not 2. 3 stock leaves room for a major mistake, 2 stock basically means either flawless play or you utterly stomp one of your opponents stock (which sometimes happens after i suicide because my opponent gets lax thinking im a scrub, and i combo-kill them from 0% with Dedede lol)
Just had a streak where i kept killing myself with dedede because for some reason my UpB wouldnt cancel and i'd fly right by the edge. After i finally quit doing that though my opponent was so lazy and predictable i was able to do the 0% kill combo lol (A combo into fwd air into another A combo into a meteor. Not easy to pull off unless the opponent is incompetent or being dumb lol)

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
How come whenever I go online, I only seem to go up against Little Mac, Greninja, or Zero Suit Samus?
I mean, there's almost 50 characters, and everyone just seems to gravitate towards the same handful?

Also, it's more of a personal thing, but I hate that I actually care about my win/lose ratio. I want to fight against people who are better than me, but if I do that, it screws with my percentage. I really shouldn't care about it, as it's just a number, but it's existence just bugs the perfectionist in me.

Last edited:

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I'm fine with fighting anyone, I can deal with counter spammers by being patient and grabbing. I'm just tired of playing literally ONLY against Little Mac and Lucina

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
one of my pet peeves was that back when only japan had the game, it felt like 90% of matches your opponent would ALWAYS drop out no matter if they won or lost (and i don't even spam, so it's not likely they simply hated my playstyle). it doesn't seem to be happening as much now that more countries are playing, though.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Pet peeves:
-:rosalina:
- Projectile spammers
-:4littlemac:(only the bad ones)
- People that mirror match me out of nowhere after I beat them a few times, especially if I used :4littlemac:.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
On the topic of counter spammers, I played against a Lucina who literally only used her counter. Even if I was on the other side of the stage and used projectiles, she'd use her counter move. If I even tried to get an attack in there, she'd counter me and send me flying. I was absolutely sick of fighting these kind of people, so I decided I'd get some projectile spam going.

After half a minute of me refusing to be anywhere near her and sticking to my projectiles, she was still only using her counter. After killing her once, she jumped off the stage, giving me a free win. I am sorry if that was cheap of me but I literally did not know what else to do.

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
Overused gimmicky character abilities.These types are In order from most seen to least in For Glory 1 v1 and Teams. These moves are done 75-100 Percent of the match.Typically when 1 of these types fails the player will move to the next type of gimmick.
1-Super Armor Move Spammers (Some sort of untradable charge / lunge attack) :4littlemac::4darkpit::4charizard::4dk::4ganondorf::4falcon:
2-Counter Spammers:4myfriends::4littlemac::4lucina::4marth::4shulk::4greninja:
3-Keep away Projectile spammers:4villager::4robinm::4pikachu::4duckhunt::4ness::4lucario::4samus::4palutena::4zelda::4falco::rosalina:
4-Slam attack/up special Spammers :4bowser::4kirby::4ness::4yoshi::4bowserjr:

Last edited:

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
The Kirbys that only spam up/down-B. It's not effective, but it's infuriating that it's STILL a thing after so long.

Top Bottom