• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni: Is Project M Dead?

With Project M ceasing development, it has many people wondering what the future of the game will be. Once again Omni has made a vlog to lend his signature voice of reason onto the chaos. In this video, Omni discusses the game's future at events alongside the challenges and potential advantages that may be found in the future of the game. Give it a watch!

Like the video and want more Omni goodness? Be sure to check out some of his other vlogs like Why You Should Pick A Top Tier, 3 Steps To Finding Your Main Character, and Play Lame; Win Game. Have any thoughts on the vlog? Be sure to discuss in the comments below and keep an eye on Smashboards for future informative vlogs.

Comments

It's not going to die. I'm not going to let it die. I'm going to keep playing the game i've had so much fun playing for the past 3 years, and there is no way I'm going to let it fade away from my locals. Project M is such an amazing game and I'm thankful to the many unpaid hours that the members of the PMDT put in to it. I know that they were disappointed by the sudden cancellation, and I know many others including myself are disappointed, but we just gotta do what we have been doing for years; keep playing the game we all love through rain or shine.

Project M won't die, though as for it shrinking, it will shrink, and substantially. new players will find it FAR more difficult to get a copy of PM, but those dedicated to the game won't let it die. It'll live on in our hearts and memories, and those of us who were fortunate enough to have a copy will always be able to treasure it.

I mean, clickbait titles is your gimmick, but this is one of your better videos by far,

Thanks for your insight @Omni.

D
@Omni i love you Steve but you cant tell us we're babies over intellectual property while you got Gir on your shoulder talking to Chrono Trigger music.

D
@Omni i love you Steve but you cant tell us we're babies over intellectual property while you got Gir on your shoulder talking to Chrono Trigger music.
And that matters why? He was actually pretty sympathetic overall in this video, don't be passive-aggressive.

D
And that matters why? He was actually pretty sympathetic overall in this video, don't be passive-aggressive.
you've obviously never met me or you'd know i'm the least passive aggressive person alive.

I'm gonna be honest here, I love Project M, I really do...

but...

I've moved on to Smash 4, and I was literally just waiting for Isaac for an excuse to play again. Which now I have none.

Oh well. Back to playing Smash 4.

Even with no streaming support nor the big tournaments hosting it, PM will always be a game that the community loves. I honestly see this as an opportunity for PM to finally develop its meta in an organic way like Melee did it back on the day, not like its death. Like the dev team said "PM is finally finished."

I made this picture a while ago and I guess it's relevant now? Joking aside Project M community do what cha do and Game and Watch top tier forever. <3

I don't like the argument that PM was doomed from the start and that we were playing hoping to ride the copyright infringement as far as we could, Counter strike and Dota are both modded from other games. I know Nintendo can be more strict than some other companies but mods aren't just cut and dry illegal its a form of art that is admittedly risky but at least rides the line of legality instead of just being on the wrong side of it like most people believe. Heck some companies are so down with modding that they release they're game with an option built in to make it easier, and some are working with modders to charge for certain mods. Nintendo may not be one of these companies but that doesn't make us wrong or PM wrong.

you've obviously never met me or you'd know i'm the least passive aggressive person alive.
Can't tell if you're trying to be being ironic, but the statement you made was passive-aggressive for something that's meant to be taken as a slight joke. Doesn't matter whether or not you're a passive-aggressive person, but you were in that statement.

To be fair, Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc.
is a thing. Mods are technically legal, is more so the distribution of the mod is rather a legal grey zone. So if you're going to bash the legality of project M, bash the parts that are actually in legal grey zone, instead of being well, lazy. Small nitpick.

Last edited:
The Project M development team should make a brand-new game based on the mechanics of PM/Melee. That way copyright infringement won't be a problem and the Melee community will have a fresh game that Sakurai can't compromise.

It is not dead, now that alot of peoples want to mod PM....wait what. With all the mods Brawl had, now people want to make mods of Proyect M......Mod of a Mod? Proyect Minus, Proyect Balanced M, Proyect P, PM 3.06 X2................................And then the most popular one will cease development and then we will have mods of a mod of a mod........................too much modception?

Omni with the punctual video containing the baseline thoughts of a rational human being as always. PM isn't dead. Hell, this is the most press and support it's received in a long time.

Beautiful eulogy, Omni. Glad you took the news and tried to make something positive from it.

I, for one, couldn't be happier the aberration that was Project M is dead. XD

"They can laugh at us for enjoying Project M all they want Because if YOU enjoy playing "PROJECT M" more then "Smash 4 & Melee" you often come across fights that just aren't worth fighting." Sorry I been watching alot of One Piece lol I wonder If people will have the same reaction If Super Smash Flash 2 & Super Smash Bros. Crusade ends up being finish

I want a new PMDT to just fix bugs and tweak Knuckles and Lyn enough to make them balance with the cast. Not really touching anything from 3.6 other than fixing bugs, and then adding two new characters. And Since Isaac is too far from finished, put in that godly Ridley mod.

It was a good run, but it's finally time to let go. The download page is down, charizard is never getting his 2.1 nair. There is no just God.

RIP Project M, Always loved, Never forgotten.

Last edited:
I don't understand why development for PM stopping kills the game. Development for Melee stopped the day of release.

Now i know i'm gonna get alot of backlash for this but i'm glad it's done and over with now i under stand that PM was a nice style of brawl should've been in the end it's just what that is what it should've been in the end this was bound to happen sooner or later what matters is we enjoyed and look forward towards melee and Sm4sh has to give us and the remaining of PMs Final update

Beautiful eulogy, Omni. Glad you took the news and tried to make something positive from it.

I, for one, couldn't be happier the aberration that was Project M is dead. XD
Oh **** off with this, you ****. Honestly, if you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything at all. **** like this gets us nowhere.

Good video, and the clickbait isn't nearly as strong as it used to be. This video and it's title are relevant to what just went down so this time around I disagree with people accusing the video of being bait.

Really good points made, I agree with what you said except the thing about the PM community being mostly children. I think that applies to another smash title a lot more heavily than it does with PM.

PM is not dead, it's just not going to be Esports, never was, never is going to be, and if that's what you were hoping for then you're a complete idiot.

That being said, if you love PM, host a ****ing tournament, stfu, play the game, and knee some souls.

Last edited:
I don't like the argument that PM was doomed from the start and that we were playing hoping to ride the copyright infringement as far as we could, Counter strike and Dota are both modded from other games. I know Nintendo can be more strict than some other companies but mods aren't just cut and dry illegal its a form of art that is admittedly risky but at least rides the line of legality instead of just being on the wrong side of it like most people believe. Heck some companies are so down with modding that they release they're game with an option built in to make it easier, and some are working with modders to charge for certain mods. Nintendo may not be one of these companies but that doesn't make us wrong or PM wrong.
Considering the PMDT told all of us that they would willingly shut it down if Nintendo blinked at them hard enough... Yeah, the argument is legitimate.

Nobody at the PMDT thought that even for a moment it'd survive as long as it did, much less become official.

Top Bottom