• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Olimar Q&A thread.

samoht45

Smash Rookie
NNID
samoht45
I was wondering does anyone have any general tips when going for the grab with Olimar?
I often find myself missing a grab and that alone can lose me a match from the punishment I receive. I'm pretty sure this comes down to just practicing the grab range but I find myself missing the grab with olimar more than any other character I play with and it drives me crazy considering it's the only way to really start any combo action.

For example, when grabbing out of shield, more often than not my pikmin will lunge through the opponent without them even spot dodging. Just curious if anybody has techniques they use to help them reliably connect.

Last edited:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
It's all about distance from your shield. Say your opponent has done a dash attack that has left them point blank in front of you but they haven't crossed you up, instead of going for a grab which is going to whiff go for a jab, DTilt or USmash out of shield (jab and DTilt since they're your fastest options after dropping your shield, USmash because it can kill and you can do it directly OoS without having to drop it). If they're not point blank that's when you go for the grab.

Then of course there's grabbing in neutral. Olimar has a fantastic foxtrot and, whilst it's not as good as it is in Brawl, an amazing pivot grab. Bait your opponent's approach then go for a grab then. Remember to take into account that each Pikmin has a different grab range too, with Whites and Blues having the best and Purples having the worst.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Remember to take into account that each Pikmin has a different grab range too, with Whites and Blues having the best and Purples having the worst.
Blue's grab range is changed to be the same as red's and yellow's, while white's range is slightly bigger than all three and purple's still the worst by about half the former three's. Blue does the most damage out of throws and has a KO option with Uthrow at higher percents, though.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Blue's grab range is changed to be the same as red's and yellow's, while white's range is slightly bigger than all three and purple's still the worst by about half the former three's.
Ah yes. Thank you for the correction.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
How much potential does Olimar have? He doesn't seem to be very popular from what I've seen on FG, but I'm not sure why.

samoht45

Smash Rookie
NNID
samoht45
It's all about distance from your shield. Say your opponent has done a dash attack that has left them point blank in front of you but they haven't crossed you up, instead of going for a grab which is going to whiff go for a jab, DTilt or USmash out of shield (jab and DTilt since they're your fastest options after dropping your shield, USmash because it can kill and you can do it directly OoS without having to drop it). If they're not point blank that's when you go for the grab.

Then of course there's grabbing in neutral. Olimar has a fantastic foxtrot and, whilst it's not as good as it is in Brawl, an amazing pivot grab. Bait your opponent's approach then go for a grab then. Remember to take into account that each Pikmin has a different grab range too, with Whites and Blues having the best and Purples having the worst.
Hey, thanks for the tips, I appreciate it. I just have to be more disciplined with Olimar when it comes to going for the grab. There's definitely a pretty steep learning curve due to the micro-management of Pikmin and the different applications of each but each game I play I really feel like I'm improving! I can't wait to master this character, I feel like the skill ceiling is higher than most!

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
How much potential does Olimar have? He doesn't seem to be very popular from what I've seen on FG, but I'm not sure why.
I actually have no idea why either? Maybe it's because of his steep learning curve or just people think he is low tiered. Ehh it's debatable.

Last edited:

ilysm

sleepy
Hi! I'm a Ness main in every game, but I've also had fun playing Olimar in Project M. I don't own Smash 4 myself, but I'd like to know; does the whistle still have the crazy invincibility it did in Brawl? It doesn't have it in P:M so I never used it, and I'm wondering if maybe I should try and incorporate it into my Olimar game once I get Smash 4 or not

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Hi! I'm a Ness main in every game, but I've also had fun playing Olimar in Project M. I don't own Smash 4 myself, but I'd like to know; does the whistle still have the crazy invincibility it did in Brawl? It doesn't have it in P:M so I never used it, and I'm wondering if maybe I should try and incorporate it into my Olimar game once I get Smash 4 or not
It has super armor frames in Smash 4, but they are shorter than the ones in Brawl.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Alright. Pivot tilts are the bane of my existence. It feels like it's a 50/50 chance of me pivot grabbing or tilting. If I tilt I almost always get punished 40ish% or killed. How do I stop doing them?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Alright. Pivot tilts are the bane of my existence. It feels like it's a 50/50 chance of me pivot grabbing or tilting. If I tilt I almost always get punished 40ish% or killed. How do I stop doing them?
How are you grabbing? I almost never accidentally pivot tilt.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
This seriously happens to me as well. I can't figure it out.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Alright this is becoming the bane of my existence so....................How do you consistently do Smash Attacks without a C-Stick specifically F-Smash. I use my 3DS/Gamepad as a controller in the Wii U version and doing Smash Attacks is the biggest chore as 90% of the time I execute a tilt which puts me in really bad situations. Before you ask; no, I'm not going to use GC Controller for this game as I find myself getting muscle memory issues when switching over to Melee/PM.

Any ideas on how I can make it better.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Alright this is becoming the bane of my existence so....................How do you consistently do Smash Attacks without a C-Stick specifically F-Smash. I use my 3DS/Gamepad as a controller in the Wii U version and doing Smash Attacks is the biggest chore as 90% of the time I execute a tilt which puts me in really bad situations. Before you ask; no, I'm not going to use GC Controller for this game as I find myself getting muscle memory issues when switching over to Melee/PM.

Any ideas on how I can make it better.
Just practice consistency I suppose. When I played 3ds I had problems consistently fsmashing as well.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I don't use Oliar and don't plan to (I really don't like his play style) but I need some information about his Pikmin for a project I'm going to work on. What does the development from leaf to flower on a Pikmin's head do to their damage/knockback? I assume it's not just a visual change but I'm unsure on what all it affects.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I don't use Oliar and don't plan to (I really don't like his play style) but I need some information about his Pikmin for a project I'm going to work on. What does the development from leaf to flower on a Pikmin's head do to their damage/knockback? I assume it's not just a visual change but I'm unsure on what all it affects.
They do nothing it's strictly cosmetic, though in PM they do effect thier stats.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Nair Aauto cancels right? Spinny thing Upsmash should be a thing.

Oh What's the standard for going off stage and edge guarding as Mar?
Nair to Usmash is a lot less guaranteed in this game. Utilt is a better follow up. As for off stage edge guarding it's definitely possible, all aerials can be great tools especially fair and bair.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Nair to Usmash is a lot less guaranteed in this game. Utilt is a better follow up. As for off stage edge guarding it's definitely possible, all aerials can be great tools especially fair and bair.
Nair is a great tool agains Diddy's Up B!! It kicks him out of it and it lasts awhile so definitely chase that monkey.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Nair is a great tool agains Diddy's Up B!! It kicks him out of it and it lasts awhile so definitely chase that monkey.
I'm not gonna lie. I got a little lazy, and didn't list all the aerials. Each one has their use.

Last edited:

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
I'm having Trouble dealing with Sonic, Anyone know if any of Olimar's moves can cancel out his spin dash/Spins?

only thing that comes to mind is his D-tilt and Purple Pik.

other than that, I get wrecked by Sonic and some help would be greatly appreciated.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
I'm having Trouble dealing with Sonic, Anyone know if any of Olimar's moves can cancel out his spin dash/Spins?

only thing that comes to mind is his D-tilt and Purple Pik.

other than that, I get wrecked by Sonic and some help would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't had much of an issue with sonics lately. Your F-smash stops the spins. I use a lot of pivot grabs in this match up.

Kamarihi

Smash Rookie
Ok so this might seem obvious to some, but I'd love an answer. When getting shut down by heavy pressure under shield. What are Olimar's options? With/Without pikmin if possible. I have a really hard time doing anything when my opponent is constantly on me or forcing me into shield over and over- obviously grabbing is great- but is there anything else?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Ok so this might seem obvious to some, but I'd love an answer. When getting shut down by heavy pressure under shield. What are Olimar's options? With/Without pikmin if possible. I have a really hard time doing anything when my opponent is constantly on me or forcing me into shield over and over- obviously grabbing is great- but is there anything else?
Roll away.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Shield drop to Jab, roll away, up smash or up tilt out of shield. What characters, if any, are you talking about?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Since I don't really play Olimar anymore (I did a lot in Brawl as a kid, when I was a filthy casual), I just have to ask: Would you guys say Olimar was nerfed that horribly? I've been hearing quite a bit of negative things about him now, like being only able to have 3 pikmin now and the little buggers having some AI issues and since I played him in the past, it just kinda made me curious.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Since I don't really play Olimar anymore (I did a lot in Brawl as a kid, when I was a filthy casual), I just have to ask: Would you guys say Olimar was nerfed that horribly? I've been hearing quite a bit of negative things about him now, like being only able to have 3 pikmin now and the little buggers having some AI issues and since I played him in the past, it just kinda made me curious.
Heavens no, I mean he did get a couple of nerfs, but who didn't? He also got some well needed buffs. The 3 Pikmin is not really a nerf, but people like to act like it's the end of the world for him. The same for buggy AI. It can get a little annoying on 3ds, but on Wii U it is negligible as long as you pay attention to your lineup.

Drippy

Smash Ace
I've been practicing a lot of Olimar against level 9 bots and it's to say that I'm very bad. I already know that I have a very predictable pattern because the bot always jukes me like crazy. I for the life of me don't know how to use my smashes either, like the only one I've been able to pull off is the down smash when they're falling down from the sky and can't really avoid it but whenever I use my forward smash or up smash, I feel like I can't really hit the enemy. It's infuriating seeing the enemy at such high percents but I can't KO them for the life of me. I'm basically asking what are some opportunities I may be missing to use my smash?

Also if you don't mind me asking another question but grabs. Whenever I try to grab the bot with my blue pikmin active , I can't get them. They just keep rolling side by side and juking my every move and I end up grabbing nothing and being punished for me.

EDIT: Kind of happy right now. 3-0ed the level 9 Luigi bot at only 0% the entire round. Don't know how but I knocked him off early and just spammed my forward smash so he couldn't get back on stage.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
First off; training with a bot set up bad habits that you will use often so I don't suggest training that way. I would suggest going to For Glory and doing some 1v1's, you may get destroyed but that's apart of the learning prosses.

Anyway to anwser you question Smashes are a key to Olimar's spacing game as they are fast, disjointed, and have a good amount of range to them. F-Smash is good when someone tries to approch you carelessly while D-Smash is fantastic for punishing someone who hits your shield. I would refrain from using U-Smash to much as it can be punished easily and has a smaller hitbox then the other two, only use it as an OoS option.

Drippy

Smash Ace
First off; training with a bot set up bad habits that you will use often so I don't suggest training that way. I would suggest going to For Glory and doing some 1v1's, you may get destroyed but that's apart of the learning prosses.

Anyway to anwser you question Smashes are a key to Olimar's spacing game as they are fast, disjointed, and have a good amount of range to them. F-Smash is good when someone tries to approch you carelessly while D-Smash is fantastic for punishing someone who hits your shield. I would refrain from using U-Smash to much as it can be punished easily and has a smaller hitbox then the other two, only use it as an OoS option.
Oh really? I didn't know that, well I mainly used bots as a way to learn Olimar and his moves as well as the other character's moveset like I didn't what Palutena attacks were but after practicing against her I have a pretty good idea. I suppose I'll start playing For Glory though, I enjoy 1v1s and i'm confident in my Olimar ability (kind of) and even if I lose, I can see it as a learning experience.

On the other hands, first off thanks for the tips. Yeah I noticed that I almost never use up smash, I feel like I can NEVER land it and the enemy avoids it so easily. I found I only use F-Smash when as you said, the enemy is carelessly approaching me or when they're trying to recover and get back on stage. D-Smash I normally use when the enemy is falling from the sky but I haven't tried using it as a way to punish someone for hitting my shield, I definitely have to try that!

Top Bottom