• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Olimar Q&A thread.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
This is going to be the main Q&A thread for the Olimar board. Drop your questions here, and we will try to help answer them!

Let's keep the discussion on topic as well please.

RJNettel

Smash Rookie
What's a good way to deal with Bowser? I'm having a hard time approaching/racking up damage on him and am also having some closing out stocks against him. Where do I want to fight him?

BulborbAdventurer

Smash Rookie
What's a good way to deal with Bowser? I'm having a hard time approaching/racking up damage on him and am also having some closing out stocks against him. Where do I want to fight him?
I just spam the **** out of nairs against him. There's not much he can do about them. Also, dtilts go through a lot of his attacks, and grabs are your friend, especially pivot grabs. Try to avoid anything about him that spins or has super armor, though. I have problems finishing him, so I don't know about that. Sometimes I get him to upwards of 300%

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Camp him out with Pikmin toss. When he approaches make sure to shield or use purple Pikmin toss to disrupt him when he's running towards you. Keep in mind that he has big hitboxes, and super armor on some moves. Also if he throws out a move it is very important to keep in mind that if he hits one of your Pikmin it can extend how long his hitbox stays out. Be wary of when to run in to attack him for this reason. You can use down throw to help start low percent combos, as well as what Bulborb said with nairs and dtilt. Just try not to be to predictable, and make sure to mix up your options. For killing him a well placed forward smash with a red or purple would do the job pretty nicely. Just watch where he's at on the map, and try to hit him towards the side that has the closest blast zone. Ftilt and dsmash could also work too. You could try to go offstage to gimp him when he's trying to recover, but it can be tricky to stop his up B. Also he could just hit you if you're not careful.

For stage selection, I would say a big map with a decent amount of room to run so you can adequately rack up damage with Pikmin toss. Battlefield or Yoshi's Island could also work, because the platforms make it harder for him to approach from the air. This allows Olimar to focus mainly on keeping him clear from the ground. Making it much easier to punish him if he isn't careful about his approach.

RJNettel

Smash Rookie
I see! Thank you both for your responses! I've had a small measure of success with dairs against him as he's trying to recover, but it's kind of wonky because his up B. I'll try camping him out a bit more!

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I see! Thank you both for your responses! I've had a small measure of success with dairs against him as he's trying to recover, but it's kind of wonky because his up B. I'll try camping him out a bit more!
Like I said lol. Just be wary of when using the dair to try and get him offstage. His up B is pretty good.

Double O'Donut

Smash Rookie
Now that it's been a while since the game has been out has anybody got any good :4olimar: tips or seen any good :4olimar:stuff
he was my main in ole Brawlio and I find him pretty hard especially against characters like :4sheik: or :4lucario:

Last edited:

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
As a Sheik main, I've actually run into a few Olimar mains and got properly wrecked. He just spot dodged a lot. He made me desperate to put damage on him.

Playing Olimar is a different story. I think as far as the characters who've received changes, Olilmar's are some of the worst. It's really difficult to hit those aerials without a c-stick, so we'll see if that improves with time.

I did find that his up-tilt can be quite effective, and keeping track of your Pikmin is important. Other than that, I'm not quite sure how to play him as well as I've seen him played.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Now that it's been a while since the game has been out has anybody got any good :4olimar: tips or seen any good :4olimar:stuff
he was my main in ole Brawlio and I find him pretty hard especially against characters like :4sheik: or :4lucario:
Don't be afraid to camp the opponent. You need to make them come to you. Just be weary of what moves you use to punish since a lot of them have a decent amount of ending lag. Pivot fsmash and pivot grabs are an amazing tool for when an opponent is running at you. Jab can be a nice tool to disrupt your opponent as well. Also down throw can lead into some nice follow ups at lower percents.

Kasual13

Smash Rookie
So word on the grape vine says that Olimar has some combos, would you be so kind as to tell me some of them?

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
So word on the grape vine says that Olimar has some combos, would you be so kind as to tell me some of them?
As far as I'm aware of, Olimar's Dthrow can generally be followed up with an aerial, usually fair or uair depending on vectoring/DI, at low percents. Mid-percents might be possible with a white Dthrow, considering the lesser knockback, but I'm not sure about this.

Other than Dthrow -> followup, I'm not sure about other combos.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Landing nair to utilt usually works. Dthrow into fair like Blue Banana said. You can also follow up the fair by fast falling into another grab if they don't vector it properly. Jab-jab-grab is another good one. Purple Pikmin toss can be followed up with a fair if you're close enough to them. These are just some of the ones off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Double O'Donut

Smash Rookie
Landing nair to utilt usually works. Dthrow into fair like Blue Banana said. You can also follow up the fair by fast falling into another grab if they don't vector it properly. Jab-jab-grab is another good one. Purple Pikmin toss can be followed up with a fair if you're close enough to them. These are just some of the ones off the top of my head.
These are great mate. cheers.

Ieven

Smash Cadet
I have some questions that have been surely already ask, but at least, i'll get a complet answer here :p.

What pikmin does, and wich one use at which moment ? I dunno really well how to play Olimar, and i'm beginner with him, so if you have any tips for me, i'll take all of them :).

Thanks !

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I have some questions that have been surely already ask, but at least, i'll get a complet answer here :p.

What pikmin does, and wich one use at which moment ? I dunno really well how to play Olimar, and i'm beginner with him, so if you have any tips for me, i'll take all of them :).

Thanks !
I recommend checking out my guide, it will talk about which color of Pikmin is best for what move. It can also help you understand the character all around better. http://smashboards.com/guides/updat...d-more-a-ssb4-guide-to-olimar.53/?ckattempt=1

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Any tips on the Rosalina match-up? I played against a pro player online and had some success against his Villager, but when he switched to Rosalina, I could barely take 50%. I've beaten lower level Rosalinas, but this time, I was completely helpless.

Rosa's disjointed hitboxes outrange and seemingly outprioritize Olimar's attacks, including fsmash. Her up-air is also disjointed and juggles repeatedly. It's nearly impossible to get in on her. I tried to run and use pivot pikmin toss to camp, but I lost my pikmin really quickly. After losing them, she just got me into the air and I never got to touch the ground long enough to pluck more.

I know she's S-tier, and Olimar... um... isn't. But is there anything I can do?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Any tips on the Rosalina match-up? I played against a pro player online and had some success against his Villager, but when he switched to Rosalina, I could barely take 50%. I've beaten lower level Rosalinas, but this time, I was completely helpless.

Rosa's disjointed hitboxes outrange and seemingly outprioritize Olimar's attacks, including fsmash. Her up-air is also disjointed and juggles repeatedly. It's nearly impossible to get in on her. I tried to run and use pivot pikmin toss to camp, but I lost my pikmin really quickly. After losing them, she just got me into the air and I never got to touch the ground long enough to pluck more.

I know she's S-tier, and Olimar... um... isn't. But is there anything I can do?
Wall her our with F-Smash if she's blindly running at you. You have to camp her out with Pikmin and make her come to you. Using dtilts and jabs can be a good way to disrupt here if you're up close. Also make sure to always have a purple with you, because they can be a life saver pretty much anytime. Also you can jab lock luma. I'll post of a video of me vs dabuz pretty soon in the video thread, maybe that will help.

Last edited:

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Wall her our with F-Smash if she's blindly running at you. You have to camp her out with Pikmin and make her come to you. Using dtilts and jabs can be a good way to disrupt here if you're up close. Also make sure to always have a purple with you, because they can be a life saver pretty much anytime. Also you can jab lock luma. I'll post of a video of me vs dabuz pretty soon in the video thread, maybe that will help.
Fsmash is definitely my go-to deterrence for approaches, but I felt like I got dash attacked every time I tried. Maybe my timing was off, but Rosa's dash attack is so strong! Her dash has such good range too, so Olimar's benefit of the fsmash reach is negated. Purple tosses are good for offensive defense also, but I was getting my ass handed to me so badly that I never got a chance to pluck pikmin too often. :ohwell:

Can the jab lock actually help? Whenever I try to attack Luma, I feel like Rosa is there with her crazy galaxy smashes and grabs.

I'd love and much appreciate the video when you post it. Do you have any advice for coming down from the air? I know nair has the least lag, but I still got grabbed/dash attacked and ended back up in the air, floating helplessly.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Fsmash is definitely my go-to deterrence for approaches, but I felt like I got dash attacked every time I tried. Maybe my timing was off, but Rosa's dash attack is so strong! Her dash has such good range too, so Olimar's benefit of the fsmash reach is negated. Purple tosses are good for offensive defense also, but I was getting my *** handed to me so badly that I never got a chance to pluck pikmin too often. :ohwell:

Can the jab lock actually help? Whenever I try to attack Luma, I feel like Rosa is there with her crazy galaxy smashes and grabs.

I'd love and much appreciate the video when you post it. Do you have any advice for coming down from the air? I know nair has the least lag, but I still got grabbed/dash attacked and ended back up in the air, floating helplessly.
Well the jab lock is really only useful when either Rosa and Luma are on top of each other so it hits both, or if Luma is sent out from Rosa. When the latter is the case it makes her approach since Luma can't do anything, and a lot of the time you can FSmash before Rosa reaches you hitting the Luma and her. For landing I'd say try to drift to the left or right, because you can't really challenge her up air to well. It happens to me in the video so you can see what I mean.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Thanks. I doubt I'll run into a Rosa as good as the one I played last night, but I'll try more jabs, dtilts, and better-timed fsmashes when pressured the next time.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
How the hell do you get KOs with Olimar?
Olimar has a few ways to secure KOs: Fsmash, Usmash, Dsmash at higher percents, Blue Uthrow at higher percents, Uair, Bairs offstage, and Dair spikes. Smashes need to be directly close to the opponent to have maximum knockback. If you want to KO the opponent as quickly as possible, reds and purples are your go to Pikmin.

You want to try to make your opponent take an action that you can directly punish or make a read off of, then fish for a KO move. Like say, if your opponent is recovering from a ledge, and you predict that he will go for the ledge attack. You can powershield it, then do a Fsmash on him. Another example would be if Shulk were to do a Fsmash, which has a bit of endlag. You can avoid it by making a full hop above his sword, then land directly near him and punish him with a Smash attack.

Spacing between you and your opponent is important; you need to be close enough to have the best chance of punishing your opponent, but not too close that you don't have defensive options open to you if the KO move doesn't work out. Also, since most mobile characters are naturally harder to take advantage of their mistakes, you want to take note of your opponents' behaviors and tendencies and try to identify openings in them.

Just be careful with Usmash and blue Uthrow. With the change to DI/VI in 1.0.4/Wii U, they are a bit better for KO options than in 1.0.3, but Usmash and whiffed grabs have lots of lag on them. Use them only if you know they'll connect.

EDIT: Forgot to add Ftilt as a situational KO move.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
What is the best way to deal with projectile spam and camping with Olimar? I found tossing Pikmin at the projectiles to nulify them worked okay, but I'm not sure if that's the best option.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
What is the best way to deal with projectile spam and camping with Olimar? I found tossing Pikmin at the projectiles to nulify them worked okay, but I'm not sure if that's the best option.
Just be smart about throwing them and avoiding the opponent. Also you have to be able to switch on the fly from camping to up close combat really well. Just takes practice.

Wii Fit Bae

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Da_Cake_Gangsta
http://youtu.be/GAdbHc8ngW4
Me :4olimar: vs Wizzzrobe :4diddy:

U guys probably kno Wizzzrobe id not then he's one of the best sm4sh players and possibly the best pm player and I played on his stream. This is one of the battles we did so critique and please give advice thanks.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
http://youtu.be/GAdbHc8ngW4
Me :4olimar: vs Wizzzrobe :4diddy:

U guys probably kno Wizzzrobe id not then he's one of the best sm4sh players and possibly the best pm player and I played on his stream. This is one of the battles we did so critique and please give advice thanks.
Close match! I'll critique one thing because it's something I do as well. Once you went down a stock and had Wizzzrobe at a 100%+ percent, you were fishing really hard for that kill. You kept going for smashes (forward and down). Don't give up on pikmin toss.

It seems fruitless to go for chip damage when your opponent is that high, but the pikmin are still great for racking up damage and playing mindgames with your opponent. You want to ensure you get the kill when you finally land a strong move. And this will also make you less predictable because you clearly wanted that KO bad.

Other than that, really strong game against a top player using a top tier.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
To go with what Freezie said, it also allows you to wrack up a bit more damage so when you do finally get that hit or blue grab it's a 100% guaranteed kill, rather than a gamble (if like 140%, sometimes it kills sometimes it doesn't). I am able to 2 stock most people I play by just doing this patiently. Once you get the kill and keep doing it, you can get like 50-100%+ more on the next stock before they can finally get the kill on you!

mustbepbs

Smash Rookie
NNID
mustbpbs
How do you deal with FFA or 2v1? Or even teams? I feel like I'm fine with 1v1 but dealing with multiple people is hard.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
How do you deal with FFA or 2v1? Or even teams? I feel like I'm fine with 1v1 but dealing with multiple people is hard.
For teams you should be the one controlling the ground. Having a partner who can cover your back and the air is much more helpful. Just be watchful about oncoming opponents.

mustbepbs

Smash Rookie
NNID
mustbpbs
Controlling the ground how? You've got 3 Pikmin and in heavy combat they drop like flies if you're being teamed on. Unless you're spamming d smash, you've got to keep up purps and reds for sh ariels

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Controlling the ground how? You've got 3 Pikmin and in heavy combat they drop like flies if you're being teamed on. Unless you're spamming d smash, you've got to keep up purps and reds for sh ariels
Just space your smashes and grabs well. You have very good grounded options. Also if you're getting teamed up on have your teammate come help you. Abuse your jabs and tilts and purple Pikmin Throw.

mustbepbs

Smash Rookie
NNID
mustbpbs
And how do you deal with Pacman? He just sits there and spams his fire hydrant that traps your Pikmin on one side until you call them back, at which point he either slams the hydrant or chases you with the water spout. So frustrating. Dealt with some ***wipe tonight that I just couldn't punish.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
And how do you deal with Pacman? He just sits there and spams his fire hydrant that traps your Pikmin on one side until you call them back, at which point he either slams the hydrant or chases you with the water spout. So frustrating. Dealt with some ***wipe tonight that I just couldn't punish.
Just camp him out with Pikmin Toss. Avoid the hydrant if he hits it to you. I'd say work on your aim when throwing.

mustbepbs

Smash Rookie
NNID
mustbpbs
Yeah but then he just chomps them away with his pellet attack or the other one. They always die instantly. It's like sonics spin dash.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Yeah but then he just chomps them away with his pellet attack or the other one. They always die instantly. It's like sonics spin dash.
I don't know what more I can tell you. If I fight any good pacmans I'll try to get some replays to upload.

mustbepbs

Smash Rookie
NNID
mustbpbs
Sounds good. I don't usually have an issue because there aren't many good ones, but I played a real annoying one tonight. I couldn't beat him with any of my secondaries either.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Can someone explain to me exactly how pikmin order works? I'm a bit confused.
They come out in a fixed order. Red, Yellow, Blue, White, Purple, Red, etc.

When you whistle once, they arrange in that order. That's your default order. When you whistle again, they start rotating and moving the first pikmin to the back of the line, making the second pikmin now your primary pikmin.

Top Bottom