• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Matchup Chart v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I'm just giving my opinion on a public forum, if you take issue with that then that's your problem, not mine.

It's up to anyone who reads my posts to decide how much they value my opinion, but I'm not going to go against my views or refrain from contributing just because people will disagree with me lel

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Lol Grim, Yoshi loses to any Metaknight that understands the concept of safe use of Tornado and how to frame trap air dodges.

Please stop talking like Yoshi has answers to solid, basic MK play. He doesn't, lol.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm just giving my opinion on a public forum, if you take issue with that then that's your problem, not mine.

It's up to anyone who reads my posts to decide how much they value my opinion, but I'm not going to go against my views or refrain from contributing just because people will disagree with me lel
Being considerate, modest, humble, and/or just a little bit aware of the state of the game (or this discussion) is just too much for you to comprehend, isn't it?

:applejack:

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Grim Tuesday said:
Considerate?
Actually that's the part you have mostly down. Modest and humble are mediocre at best, but the state of the game thing is what I think the others take issue with.

Last I'd heard, the MU chart we're looking for here details the favorability of a matchup given both players playing at the top levels of their characters and knowing the MU inside and out using all meta-game level techniques. So saying "MK don't know the MU, it's -1" is useful in a chart of practical MUs [how MUs shake down when you or I play them], but for the theory MU chart (if you do your HW like M2K, here's how stuff breaks down), it's irrelevant.

If making a bunch of people annoyed at you for disagreeing is not stepping on any toes, than no worries, Pikachu-MK is even, I'm not stepping on any toes, Pika's fair KO setups are good, it's just ESAM doesn't use those much which is why his record may not be as high as it should be.

Now I'll brace myself for the flaming I'm in for...

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Actually that's the part you have mostly down. Modest and humble are mediocre at best, but the state of the game thing is what I think the others take issue with.

Last I'd heard, the MU chart we're looking for here details the favorability of a matchup given both players playing at the top levels of their characters and knowing the MU inside and out using all meta-game level techniques. So saying "MK don't know the MU, it's -1" is useful in a chart of practical MUs [how MUs shake down when you or I play them], but for the theory MU chart (if you do your HW like M2K, here's how stuff breaks down), it's irrelevant.

If making a bunch of people annoyed at you for disagreeing is not stepping on any toes, than no worries, Pikachu-MK is even, I'm not stepping on any toes, Pika's fair KO setups are good, it's just ESAM doesn't use those much which is why his record may not be as high as it should be.

Now I'll brace myself for the flaming I'm in for...
I'm not humble/modest because none of you actually think I'm good, so I can't be humble about how good I am. I just state the facts yo

Yet many of mk's current match-ups on the chart are actually 1 worse for mk than they should be because they assume mk doesn't know the match-up, I was poking fun at this fact and saying that if we're going to follow that (********) trend, Yoshi should be -2. I never said I think it should be -1.
That's a really neat way of explaining match-up charts though, I'mma steal that at some point

You can SDI out of fair with ease.

Thor

Smash Champion
(other stuff) that's a bit much.
MK is +2 against everyone below Fox. Wolf and Fox are the lowest characters with -1 MUs on MK. 2-9 all have -1 MUs (with the exception of Pikachu which the chart currently has as 0) and then Wolf and Fox and that's it. MK counters every other character in the game (besides MK himself). If a -2 is "destroys [counters]" then yes MK destroys most non-top tiers. If -2 is "beats handily [counters]" and -3 is "destroys [hard counters]" then no, MK destroys only like a dozen characters or something (not exact here). I'm not gonna take a stance, that's just what the chart says.

Fair can be SDI'd in two hits pretty easily but the window is kind of tight on that and if you mess it up it's still a stock. I was also being at least partly facetious [I'm not gonna restart that debate here].

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
If you counter someone that doesn't mean you destroy them.
-2 =/= destroyed, unless that -2 is reaaaaaaally bad.

Cassio

Smash Master
The more Ive thought about it, the more ive realized those numbers arent so easy to judge. We dont really have a good way to measure 0 to 4 in terms of MUs. I think its better to just simplify them as neutral, advantage, and strong advantage. Metaknight has an advantage on most of the cast, but youre probably going to beat him if youre a better player.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
The more Ive thought about it, the more ive realized those numbers arent so easy to judge. We dont really have a good way to measure 0 to 4 in terms of MUs. I think its better to just simplify them as neutral, advantage, and strong advantage. Metaknight has an advantage on most of the cast, but youre probably going to beat him if youre a better player.
Maybe in the upper tiers. Maybe. But once you get down even to like, upper mid imo, you need to be significantly better to stand a chance.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You're insane.
Only perhaps 3 or 4 characters can even begin to think they can claim something like that. :applejack:

Cassio

Smash Master
Thats perhaps the most optimistic thing Ive heard you say about MK :p. I should've said 'capable of' though.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Those 3-4 theoretical characters are still liable to be insane should they say anything about it. :applejack:

Thor

Smash Champion
Espy Rose said:
Those 3-4 theoretical characters are still liable to be insane should they say anything about it.
Which characters? I'd guess Pikachu and Falco, beyond that I see like 5 others who probably have the claim but I'm not sure how to cut down from there.

Also why the why is Ike-Snake 0? Can't Snake just camp the **** out of Ike? Or is Ike secretly way better than that?

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Because Ike's jab and fair are godlike in that MU and Snake cant do much about them when Ike gets into mid range. And while yes, Snake can camp Ike out, Ike doesnt need to watch out for tilts as much as other characters once he gets passed nades since he has even better options that outrange Snake. Its a weird and hard to explain MU outside of that though, just look up videos of Ryo against Snake or something.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
1PokeMastr said:
I think it's Fair game.
I thought Falcon vs Falcon was Fair game...

On another note, why is Wolf -2 against Wario? I know Wario is faster (in the air), but I'd think Wolf beats Wario's entire air game by just standing facing opposite Wario and bairing whenever he draws near...

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
wario can sit on him lots of times

I'd think Wolf beats Wario's entire air game by just standing facing opposite Wario and bairing whenever he draws near...
even if the chain-grab didn't exist, you can't simplify a match-up like this
wario is a nuanced character with a powerful and diverse toolkit
he doesn't just "lose to bair"

Last edited:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Anti said Peach vs MK is close to an even match up. Does anyone think this can be possible with high enough level of play?

Also, Kie, the best Peach main to exist in brawl's history, beat top MK's in Japan, including Otori.

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Otori realised all of Japan is free, so free, he demonstrates it by letting a Peach win.

Then Otori re demonstrates, after a few tourneys pass and he doesn't enter, and then he wins.

With the Peach there.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Doesn't he only beat sand-bagging Otori?

I don't even know lol, but I heard that somewhere
Otori "quit" after the tournament at which he lost to Kie 0-2, however, based on recorded videos from that tournament, Otori was playing fine that day, and Otori didn't really quit. A few months later, Otori won a tournament, beating Choco (a ZSS main) in grand finals.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Knee is seriously the most tired and overused meme
Everything associated with Falcon is

Like, **** guys, it's been a decade
perhaps we should come up with some new funny things to say
*manly

You cant. There is literally nothing more manly than the knee of Douglas Jay Falcon being jammed forcfully into the face of all those who oppose him.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Everything associated with Falcon is

One guy does a small Falcon-joke in what I think is the first time I've seen it in literally ages, and you start ranting about how it's an overused "meme"

holy ****

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
traffic:kangaroo MU
I think it's even.

It's the Punch.

this.
it's a fair with a powerful sweet spot.
Like 95% of its popularity came from the punch. It's a LK ripoff, we can just say Zelda will give you the foot.

I don't see how the punch/knee memes/jokes are still funny anymore.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I think it's even.

It's the Punch.

this.
it's a fair with a powerful sweet spot.
Like 95% of its popularity came from the punch. It's a LK ripoff, we can just say Zelda will give you the foot.

I don't see how the punch/knee memes/jokes are still funny anymore.
Confirmed that Australians hate fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom