• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Project - Ver. 1

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I would like a link to the thread being discussed. (I'll probably go find it for myself but a link would still help those who come after me).

Also, I'm in favor of Final Cutter and Giant Hammer. Stone is a volatile use varying on the match-up and circumstance.
http://smashboards.com/threads/project-proposal-we-can-make-custom-moves-fast-easy-and-legal.379555/
Here you go, sir. Hmm... you are a Giant Hammer type of Kirby? I always figure you would prefer Hammer Bash better.

Anyways, our deadline is December 5. Let's get a list going while we can and brainstorm the rest.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
How does Icy Breath work and is it worth it? I don't really play Kirby all that often (I want his Amiibo figurine though, too cute to ignore! )and from the few times I did play him I don't really use Inhale that much (or at least the copycat ability) and I thought the ice move looked cool , no pun intended btw. Most people here seemto prefer Leaping Inhale though.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
How does Icy Breath work and is it worth it? I don't really play Kirby all that often (I want his Amiibo figurine though, too cute to ignore! )and from the few times I did play him I don't really use Inhale that much (or at least the copycat ability) and I thought the ice move looked cool , no pun intended btw. Most people here seemto prefer Leaping Inhale though.
Ice Breath is an attack that can hit multiple times. It first deals approximately 1-3% damage per hit depending on how close the opponent is to Kirby, and the last hit deals 6% damage and can most easily freeze the opponent. I personally like the move, but I'm not sure if it is as useful as Inhale.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
I bring this from Reddit even if this thread needs no more chaos.

I'm quite fond of 3133.

N3 - Jumping Inhale: Need I say more?

S1 - Hammer Flip: I tend to use this one the most.

U3 and D3 - Upper Cutter and Meteor Stone: Meteor Stone has great edge guarding potential, but at the cost of potentially killing you due to the longer time you're stuck in Stone. To counteract this, you jump twice above the edge, use Meteor Stone, un-Down-B as soon as you can, then use your Jumps and Upper Cutter to get back on stage.
2 upvotes

This one was about Hammer Bash:
Being able to jump is an oddly unknown fact of the move by many. Obviously once people expect it, it loses some value, but as it can jump and punish laggy projctiles and catch some players out, it has its appeals.
2 upvotes

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
As the first rough draft of the Official Standard Custom Project has released, we should continue this discussion and fix anything regarding Kirby's custom moves. In case you haven't seen the current list, I updated the OP with it.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I'm really confused that Hammer Bash (2) was the one in most sets. Wasn't Hammer Flip (1) kinda more popular?

Last edited:

Makorel

Smash Apprentice
I didn't see anyone mention it in this thread so for what it's worth a fully charged Giant Hammer won't activate counters.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I didn't see anyone mention it in this thread so for what it's worth a fully charged Giant Hammer won't activate counters.
Oh, it activate counter but the Swing itself is Unblockable. So shielding and power shielding does not work either.

V23

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yvesdev
gfycat.com/SoupyFancyBallpython This is an exmaple why i think giant hammer is the beast overall, mind games and baits for ages.

gfycat.com/RevolvingPiercingAztecant And just to reinforce why upper cutter is king :)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Upper Cutter will always be relevant, but I think the thing about Giant Hammer is that people are ignorant of it, they don't know that it has super armor while charging, or that it goes through shields/counters :/ Once people actually know what it does, it will be hard to use it in competitive play.

Although...... if you are ahead a stock against a character without projectiles... they will be forced to approach you. If you're at 100%, you won't take damage while charging anymore. You will also have a lot of Rage. So they approach you, and they can't shield or counter your hammer... and you have super armor through their dash attack/upsmash/whatever they do. Your only weakness is grabs... and if you release the attack at the same time you get grabbed, you'll beat them out...

Holy crap, what if this move is actually brokenly good? The only thing your opponent can do (if they have no projectiles, and even if they do have projectiles, you have super armor so they have to approach you to get a kill) is run at you and try to bait out your attack.

V23

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yvesdev
Upper Cutter will always be relevant, but I think the thing about Giant Hammer is that people are ignorant of it, they don't know that it has super armor while charging, or that it goes through shields/counters :/ Once people actually know what it does, it will be hard to use it in competitive play.

Although...... if you are ahead a stock against a character without projectiles... they will be forced to approach you. If you're at 100%, you won't take damage while charging anymore. You will also have a lot of Rage. So they approach you, and they can't shield or counter your hammer... and you have super armor through their dash attack/upsmash/whatever they do. Your only weakness is grabs... and if you release the attack at the same time you get grabbed, you'll beat them out...

Holy crap, what if this move is actually brokenly good? The only thing your opponent can do (if they have no projectiles, and even if they do have projectiles, you have super armor so they have to approach you to get a kill) is run at you and try to bait out your attack.
see? while writing your post you understood that giant hammer is a king of a move. i understood that instinctively, from there i just made that move my own.

1 more thing, meteor stone is the best stone. extreme edgeguard prowess and counters alot of recoverys (villager's comes to mind, what seems to be an amazing recover is now a joke)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Agreed meteor stone is good. Default stone is surprisingly good in this game though. It's a legitimate (as in, it's not a gimmick) edgeguarding option against many recoveries. Default is also the only Stone that can do the "instant stone" by running off a ledge and doing grounded stone (which comes out faster than aerial) and then falling off. MikeKirby did it on the Smashville platform for a quick kill in one of his tournament matches. I haven't practiced with customs too much since pretty much all the tournaments I've been to have been customs-off, but I'll try the other Stones some more when I get the chance. I'm just afraid I'd SD with meteor stone, since it takes so long to transform back.

V23

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yvesdev
Agreed meteor stone is good. Default stone is surprisingly good in this game though. It's a legitimate (as in, it's not a gimmick) edgeguarding option against many recoveries. Default is also the only Stone that can do the "instant stone" by running off a ledge and doing grounded stone (which comes out faster than aerial) and then falling off. MikeKirby did it on the Smashville platform for a quick kill in one of his tournament matches. I haven't practiced with customs too much since pretty much all the tournaments I've been to have been customs-off, but I'll try the other Stones some more when I get the chance. I'm just afraid I'd SD with meteor stone, since it takes so long to transform back.
The thing is meteor stone when used right is ultra safe.

1st use: you stand at the edge and use it from the ground, if you time it right you could hit someone trying to grab the leadge and spike them

2nd use: you go above people with recoverys like villagers, stone and spam B, if you spam B the sec you hit them you will start transformation and go up while they already dead.

3rd use: counter approach, stone jumps up when you use it, you could dodge and atk at the same time if you time it right, could even continue a string.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Giant Hammer is good but isn't that broken. Unlike Hammer Flip, it does not have super armor during the swing. So if someone continously jab cancel or attack you during the swing you get interrupted. Next, there are two rules that goes against the this custom. Both are considered as stalling. 1) States you cannot use a move that prevent you from being killed at 250% and 2) Something about stalling for more 2 minutes. (I forgot this one).

Anyways, the vertical recovery about Hammer Bash that Reserved found makes this Custom God Tier.

Meteor Stone is good too. Sadly, we lose the "ground pound" after effects when we land on the stage and it barely damage shields. So no shield breaking shenanigans.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Next, there are two rules that goes against the this custom. Both are considered as stalling. 1) States you cannot use a move that prevent you from being killed at 250% and 2) Something about stalling for more 2 minutes. (I forgot this one).
No that's not... what? Stalling is something that makes the game unplayable. Nothing even exists in smash 4 that fits those rules. The closest thing is in For Glory 2v2, since Team Attack is set to Off, a team of two Pacmen can infinitely jump above the blast zone with each others' trampolines. There's no "no stalling" rule in For Glory though, and it only works because team attack is off. I haven't seen a single example that counts as "stalling" in Smash4. That rule is just there in case some horrible glitch were to be found, so it's not abused.

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616

If your opponent manages to put 200%+ with projectiles on you then bait you out correctly (if they do) you lose the stock, so even though I do think it is a great move, it is only useable for certain matchups. I know the you can move and jump with the hammer but that still does not mean they can't maneuver around you and rack up damage.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
I'm glad that 3221 is one of the Critical Sets, because that's the one I use. I see love for Upper Cutter all the time, but Wave Cutter comes in handy big time when playing the way I do. I really miss the range from the old Final Cutter, and Wave Cutter's obnoxious hitbox (well, the wave it sends, I know it doesn't have a hitbox on the way down. Whatever) makes me a very happy Kirby.

With all that said, though, I'm really thinking about giving a Giant Hammer moveset a try, if all of this talk about the ridiculous Super Armor is true. It sounds really scary.

Last edited:

V23

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yvesdev
I'm glad that 3221 is one of the Critical Sets, because that's the one I use. I see love for Upper Cutter all the time, but Wave Cutter comes in handy big time when playing the way I do. I really miss the range from the old Final Cutter, and Wave Cutter's obnoxious hitbox (well, the wave it sends, I know it doesn't have a hitbox on the way down. Whatever) makes me a very happy Kirby.

With all that said, though, I'm really thinking about giving a Giant Hammer moveset a try, if all of this talk about the ridiculous Super Armor is true. It sounds really scary.
might as well try it! the mindgames bro

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Despite what I said about Giant Hammer in the social thread, I probably like 3133 the most.

Jumping Inhale is obvious. It's very good, and there's less risk with taking the opponent's ability. Consistent usage of Copy Abilities makes certain matchups much easier to deal with, and makes Copy Abilities less of a gimmick.

Upper Cutter is also very good. Stage spikes, killing people off the top, having a decent OOS option... it's really great.

Hammer Flip has a balance of speed and power. Kirby's recovery with Upper Cutter is already incredible, and so I don't see the need for Hammer Bash, at all. Hammer Flip also allows for mindgames on opponents with counters, and gives you the power for an early kill upon shield break. Outside of recovery, I don't see any utility for Hammer Bash. Again - our recovery with Upper Cutter is already great. Way better than non-custom. Hammer Flip is the way to go.

Meteor Stone. Okay, all stones are situational. Regular Stone is good for punishes against enemies that may over-commit in the air or whatever, Grounding Stone allows certain combos (but is slower to transform). But Meteor Stone... it's the fastest to transform, and it's a crazy powerful meteor. I don't yet have the skill to use it to consistently intercept recoveries below the stage (and quite frankly, I don't think it's worth it in many cases). But my favorite usage of it is after a ledge trump -> regrab for super-early kills. Since you're landing on the stage, not only do you get your cancel-on-hit, but you don't have to worry about recovering either. It's situational, obviously - if the opponent has a good recovery, they can mess up your timing or avoid the stone altogether. But for characters that have more predictable recoveries, you can end their stocks before they even really begin.

Last edited:

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Hammer Flip's mindgames probably won't work on good players because in a real competitive match, I highly doubt anyone is going to try something as risky as countering an infinite charge move that KOs at 40%.

I'm not sure if there are any moves that are laggy enough for Kirby to punish with Hammer Bash upon shielding them. If there are, that might be pretty good, assuming Hammer Bash actually has more KO power than an upsmash with an equal amount of "charge."

Giant Hammer is a much better option than Hammer Flip in my opinion, since that super armor while charging forces your opponents to approach and it has a much bigger hitbox. I'm pretty sure they have to approach if you have the stock lead, there's absolutely no way to KO you from afar even with projectiles (correct me if I'm wrong). Obviously, from there it's a matter of actually connecting the attack.

I'm not sure whether Hammer Bash or Giant Hammer is overall better, but Hammer Bash seems more reasonable because of the potential punishes you could make with it, especially with reads.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Hammer Flip's mindgames probably won't work on good players because in a real competitive match, I highly doubt anyone is going to try something as risky as countering an infinite charge move that KOs at 40%.

I'm not sure if there are any moves that are laggy enough for Kirby to punish with Hammer Bash upon shielding them. If there are, that might be pretty good, assuming Hammer Bash actually has more KO power than an upsmash with an equal amount of "charge."

Giant Hammer is a much better option than Hammer Flip in my opinion, since that super armor while charging forces your opponents to approach and it has a much bigger hitbox. I'm pretty sure they have to approach if you have the stock lead, there's absolutely no way to KO you from afar even with projectiles (correct me if I'm wrong). Obviously, from there it's a matter of actually connecting the attack.

I'm not sure whether Hammer Bash or Giant Hammer is overall better, but Hammer Bash seems more reasonable because of the potential punishes you could make with it, especially with reads.
It really depends, no? People try countering Smash attacks. Not an infinite charge, sure, but can be held long enough to mess up someone's day.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Are you guys still experimenting with the customs? I just read the post about EVO confirming to have customs and I guess I have to throw my own input before I complain about our sets. Personally I like 1131 and 3131. I'm surprised 3131 isn't in our confirmed sets.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I personally like 3333, Hammer Bash and Meteor Stone may not be the best but they fit my playstyle. Meteor Stone is really situational but I like it because it really helps me in the MU vs Diddy, if he has to recover low he's dead. In other MUs it's useless like against Sheik or anyone with a recovery that has Super Armor or gets an easy ledge snap.

I feel like Kirby with customs could be a really good match up for Diddy.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I think you either mean 3233 or Giant Hammer with Meteor Stone since Giant Hammer is the 3rd Hammer Custom.
Anyways, you can make Meteor Stone more feasible by doing a Ledge thump and then Meteor Stone on the ledge.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Do we still have similar views to what we had earlier?

Jumping Inhale is the best/Ice Breath is matchup dependent/Inhale is outclassed.
Hammer Bash is the best/Hammer Flip is situational/Giant Hammer... what even is this (what did we decide on again?)
Upper Cutter is ridiculous/Wave Cutter is totally crazy and better ;_; has its uses/Final Cutter is meh.
Each Stone has their own uses and comes down to preference.

Mostly asking this since Evo is allowing Customs and all, and I wanted to check if anything's changed since way back when the project started. Obviously I'm a big fan of Wave Cutter, but 3221 is probably the best Wave Cutter set I could ask for, so I think having Upper Cutter on the rest is still a good idea.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
To remind people, here are Kirby's current six sets:

That leaves space for four more for EVO purposes. I'm suspecting that 3131 and 3331 would be popular ideas, but I really don't know if we want more if we want to re-negotiate the current six. This topic didn't really boil down to conclusions well last time, but I get a sense customs are very important for Kirby. Have thoughts evolved over the past few months?

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I think you either mean 3233 or Giant Hammer with Meteor Stone since Giant Hammer is the 3rd Hammer Custom.
Anyways, you can make Meteor Stone more feasible by doing a Ledge thump and then Meteor Stone on the ledge.
Actually I meant to say Giant Hammer lol, not sure why I said Hammer Bash. I had to read my post a few times before I realized why you said that.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Change one of the sets to 3232 - @ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos
Jumping Inhale
Hammer Bash
Upper Cutter
Grounded Stone (It actually pretty cool, especially the recovery) I retract what I said about it. Once you get out of Grounded Stone, you have free range to do whatever you want.

I still think Stone is better for punishing Aerial Followups, Off stage recovery, and Shield Breaking. Grounded Stone was mentioned before for On Stage Shenanigans and safe whiff. Normally, Meteor Stone is only for Off Stage Spike but this baby is nifty on the stage. The move have a Bowser Bomb/Yoshi Ground Pound action when you use it on the ground. Maybe it has potential to help shatter shields. I need more testing with it.

Last edited:

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
To remind people, here are Kirby's current six sets:

That leaves space for four more for EVO purposes. I'm suspecting that 3131 and 3331 would be popular ideas, but I really don't know if we want more if we want to re-negotiate the current six. This topic didn't really boil down to conclusions well last time, but I get a sense customs are very important for Kirby. Have thoughts evolved over the past few months?
Reserved made a nice post about Kirby's customs in the Project's thread:
Just going to make a quick post about Kirby's customs over here, mainly the sets I use. I don't really agree with his current sets, so hopefully I can get some changes.

Anyways, going from that, here's my sets for Kirby (with short explanations)

3231 - Upper Cutter, Hammer Bash, Jumping Inhale, Stone. This is the main set for MUs that Kirby isn't as experienced in, as it has his best overall special moves.
3232 - Upper Cutter, Hammer Bash, Jumping Inhale, Grounding Stone. Same as above with Grounding Stone for specific match-ups.
3233 - Upper Cutter, Hammer Bash, Jumping Inhale, Meteor Stone. Same as above with Meteor Stone for specific match-ups.
1233 - Upper Cutter, Hammer Bash, Inhale, Meteor Stone. This set is made specifically for fighting Olimar, as Jumping Inhale has a glitch where Kirby gets latching Pikmin instead of his projectile-like ones. Inhale is needed, as the latching ones are worse in the match-up.
3131 - Similar to other sets but with Hammer Flip, mainly for going against Marth and Lucina, along with being there for those who prefer Hammer Flip (although Giant Hammer is usually, if not always better).
3331 - Same as above, switching Hammer Flip with Giant Hammer. Generally recommended for stronger punishes on shield breaks, but some may feel uncomfortable using Giant Hammer, or prefer using Hammer Flip throughout matches.
2231 - Same as above sets except using Ice Breath for specific match-ups.
2232 - Same as the above set with Grounding Stone instead of default Stone.

2222 + 3333 - Mainly for exploring Kirby's customs. I'd actually recommend keeping these for Kirby at the moment, as the only specials that are useless would be Inhale (except against Olimar), Final Cutter, and Wave Cutter. Everything else has a use, so it'd be good for experimenting.

My personal favorite right now is 3232 and I think it deserves to be one of Kirby's sets (perhaps because I'm still a newer player that uses Stone to get back to the stage after being tossed up :kirby:). Grounding Stone has little to no end lag after the transformation so it's much safer than the other two Stones for this purpose. Burying opponents is a nice plus and it has nice synergy with Kirby's other two customs, Upper Cutter and Hammer Bash.

Last edited:

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I agree with these guys. 3232 should be a set, with 323 being the best overall choices for Kirby's first three specials, and then Grounding Stone so we have all three stones to choose from depending on preference/matchup.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Really not sure why, but I never posted my custom Kirby write-up over here. As most of you keep within a select few boards, I'm sure it hasn't been seen by much Kirby mains.

http://smashboards.com/threads/character-competitive-impressions.367669/page-392#post-18559145

I've been playing with custom moves since a week after the 3DS launch, along with extensively testing them with others. I'm really into custom moves, so I'd do anything to get them widely legalized. Right now, having EVO on track with customs and /r/smashbros and Smashboards becoming increasingly interested in them gives me high hopes for their legalization. As I said in the post, I think Kirby is at the bottom of the barrel without customs. However, with them, he's boosted up into the mid-tier section. While I haven't said anything about it to prevent some horrible war between the Kirby characters, in a custom meta, Kirby is probably the most viable out of our three reps. This is mainly because Kirby has better MUs with the top characters compared to Meta Knight and Dedede, but gets bopped by lesser characters.

As Bribery posted, here's the custom sets I run.

Just going to make a quick post about Kirby's customs over here, mainly the sets I use. I don't really agree with his current sets, so hopefully I can get some changes.

Anyways, going from that, here's my sets for Kirby (with short explanations)

3231 - Upper Cutter, Hammer Bash, Jumping Inhale, Stone. This is the main set for MUs that Kirby isn't as experienced in, as it has his best overall special moves.
3232 - Upper Cutter, Hammer Bash, Jumping Inhale, Grounding Stone. Same as above with Grounding Stone for specific match-ups.
3233 - Upper Cutter, Hammer Bash, Jumping Inhale, Meteor Stone. Same as above with Meteor Stone for specific match-ups.
1233 - Upper Cutter, Hammer Bash, Inhale, Meteor Stone. This set is made specifically for fighting Olimar, as Jumping Inhale has a glitch where Kirby gets latching Pikmin instead of his projectile-like ones. Inhale is needed, as the latching ones are worse in the match-up.
3131 - Similar to other sets but with Hammer Flip, mainly for going against Marth and Lucina, along with being there for those who prefer Hammer Flip (although Giant Hammer is usually, if not always better).
3331 - Same as above, switching Hammer Flip with Giant Hammer. Generally recommended for stronger punishes on shield breaks, but some may feel uncomfortable using Giant Hammer, or prefer using Hammer Flip throughout matches.
2231 - Same as above sets except using Ice Breath for specific match-ups.
2232 - Same as the above set with Grounding Stone instead of default Stone.

2222 + 3333 - Mainly for exploring Kirby's customs. I'd actually recommend keeping these for Kirby at the moment, as the only specials that are useless would be Inhale (except against Olimar), Final Cutter, and Wave Cutter. Everything else has a use, so it'd be good for experimenting.

Jeroen Schaafsma

Smash Rookie
I feel if tournaments will allow custom moves Kirby gets an indirect nerf. Considering he only copies the standard B. Not the custom one.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I feel if tournaments will allow custom moves Kirby gets an indirect nerf. Considering he only copies the standard B. Not the custom one.
Depends on how the standard Bs match up. Most customs trade one thing for another. Speed for space control with Samus and Lucario, for example.

With Shulk, they trade either the instantaneous switching that we can continue to enjoy or the amount of time that we continue to enjoy. Etcetera.

Jeroen Schaafsma

Smash Rookie
Depends on how the standard Bs match up. Most customs trade one thing for another. Speed for space control with Samus and Lucario, for example.

With Shulk, they trade either the instantaneous switching that we can continue to enjoy or the amount of time that we continue to enjoy. Etcetera.
I see where you're getting at, but for example, I'd rather have the strong bow (link) than the standard one. I'd rather have Storm Punch on Donkey Kong. The scary fire spitting attack on Charizard.. The list goes on. Sure, some like Samus have great standard B's. Just some don't. Indirect nerf. For me at least.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I see where you're getting at, but for example, I'd rather have the strong bow (link) than the standard one. I'd rather have Storm Punch on Donkey Kong. The scary fire spitting attack on Charizard.. The list goes on. Sure, some like Samus have great standard B's. Just some don't. Indirect nerf. For me at least.
Right, but they have to trade those things for their specific matchups.

Link gets the Strong Bow, sure. But we can shoot arrows at a greater frequency (uncharged Strong Bow arrows go nowhere) just for the sake of giving ourselves a way to approach, clear a space for recovery, and all of those other things we do. They need to charge Power Bow to make it useful at all. We get an addition to our capabilities in a way that works best for us. Donkey Kong's Storm Punch trades power for pushback. We get the original punch with all of its power and superarmor (dunno if Storm Punch has armor. But I don't see the big deal for us, tbh. Charizard's long range fireballs are pretty cool, but also do less damage. His Fire Fang is just a terrible idea for Kirby.

Most Neutral Bs work for us. Some are even improved by our own abilities. I dunno - not really a nerf, IMO.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I was quite adamantly against customs at first. Mainly because I just wanted to learn my character and the game in it's vanilla form. But now that I feel like I have a good understanding of that I'm quite indifferent about customs now and I don't mind seeing how the meta game turns out. Anyway~

Personally, I like using 1231 in singles and 1131 in teams. However, I completely understand why jumping inhale (3) is better givin' it's risk/reward, viability as a surprise ledge option and recovery tool. I'll probably warm up to it eventually but for now I'm sticking to regular inhale (1) and it's almost non existent windbox.

Hammer Bash (2) is amazing at finishing any jab lock you can catch because it can KO quite early (earlier than Hammer Flip) AND deals more damage. It's pretty good as a recovery tool, too. Thumbs up!

Upper Cutter (3) is literally Kirby's most superior custom by far and it should be highly considered on any custom moveset by default. It's a free trip to the ledge (sweet spots it, too, mind you) and it can grab stage spikes to opponents who don't respect Kirby's recovery with it. Kirby can go REALLY deep/far for a gimp due to Upper Cutter's superior range campared to the other two. It serves as a combo finisher to any u-tilt/u-air hit confirms AND it can KO! Good, good, GREAT!

Stone (1). I feel this is preference or match-up oriented, really. I mean, let's face it, not many players will be getting hit by this move (custom or not) unless they're being really reckless or you got the godliek read. However, if they do happen to get hit by down-b, I like the knockback and damage I get when I do land it. Plus, I can't ignore the option to quick rock--something the other customs can't pull off. Even if I do fail miserably at it at times, haha!

------------------

My thoughts on the other customs.

Ice Breath (2)
I'm not sure. It looks cool but I like having a command grab and the ability to gain a copy ability/projectile. This move might be useful as a custom counter-pick option like how IC's used to wall Ganondorf with this move alone (ok there were 2 IC's but you get the point!) but time will tell.

Giant Hammer (3)
I wrote it off as useless at first. I felt like it was giving Kirby a Warlock Punch and I wasn't to fond of that. Slow hard hitting moves was not something I wanted to give to Kirby. However, some of what was said make it sound better such as it's super armor and such but one could just feint or bait out the swing and you get punished or even KO'd for it. :ohwell:

Wave Cutter (2)
You know what would have been cool? If Kirby had his High Jump ability as a custom. Can you imagine?? Unfortunately, that's all we can do. :( Anywayy, this custom isn't horrible but it's definitely outclassed by Upper Cutter. Kirby's up-b was always a recovery tool first and an attack second. This custom kind of suggests you use this offensively except the one problem about it is that it still has Final Cutter's beginning animation. It IS faster but as a recovery tool, you can KO'd because of the lack of a hitbox. :ohwell: However, it might have it's niche in some match ups. Time will tell here, too.

Grounding Stone (2)
I'll be honest. I haven't really dove into the stone customs much but I do like the follow up potential this move has. You can net some KO's with this if you hit a grounded opponent, especially with your choice of custom hammer. The trade off is that this move deals about 10%. Which is ok if you can get the KO set up. I feel like it's quite viable as a move and it's up to preference.

Meteor Stone (3)
I feel like this one is more match up dependent than the others. And out of the others once you use this, you're committed to it pretty hard. Using this off-stage could cause you to lose a stock given it's large cool down time. However, I feel like this move becomes COMPLETELY viable when stage counter picking to Delfino Plaza. The possibility to spike through the water and canceling it's cool down is extremely tempting~

My top three custom set picks would definitely be

Also, I didn't know about the jumping inhale glitch vs Olimar. So, I'd like to see at least a 1231 on there. :)

@ J Jeroen Schaafsma
Kirby not being able to use the same custom move as your opponent isn't a nerf necessarily or at all. Look at Olimar vs Kirby or Rosalina Vs Kirby. If Kirby can snatch a projectile (any usable projectile) it makes his life easier regardless if it's the same as his opponent or not. With Kirby's jumping prowess he can really make his own opponent's b-move work wonders against him. :)

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Much as I prefer 3133, 3233 and 3333 aren't terrible and whatnot. Hammer Flip is pretty situational, anyways... So is Giant Hammer, but I still get to kill off a shield break in a Marcina MU.

Togii

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4682-8974-7880
What do you guys think about 2331? I'd say it has arguably more merit than 2222. I know that that's the only set with Wave Cutter, but do we really need it?

Top Bottom